• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

With funky as a costume

Uhh.....

One thing that needs to be made clear about DK and Funky is that while they have similar models, DK is more "primal" and "brute force" in both how he presents himself and his fighting style while Funky wouldn't be.

DK's always (except in DK64) hunched over and walking on his knuckles, being completely naked except for his signature necktie. Solving every problem with his fists.

Funky is never like this. He's always more upright and more "civilized" in nature, wearing more than just a single article of clothing and putting his smarts to use in developing weaponry, machinery, vehicles, etc.
Brute force is simply not his forte, meaning DK's fighting style doesn't suit him in the least.
....yeah, costume doesn't really fit here....

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Got no problem with Funky. He could theoretically make it instead of Dixie and I'd be ok with it, honestly.

Not the kroc, though. Hopefully demand gains a little more importance this time around. I don't see why we can't have a healthy mixture of old and new especially after a ballot. And ending the "relevancy!" criteria would be fun.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Funky with a surfboard moveset is enticing. Honestly, between him, Dixie, K. Rool, and Cranky, there's so much untapped potential in DK characters, I'd be thrilled with any of them in the game.

BinWeevil28

Banned via Administration
So one of my most wanted newcomers is Daisy. I really hope she gets in this time, because I feel like we don't have any female fighter with a personality and attitude like hers, she would bring along flower and plant based moves, and she is cute, yet tough. Also, I feel like it was so unfair that she got snubbed in favour of Rosalina.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I REALLY REALLY want Funky Kong to be memed into Smash. That would be amazing. And we all know it.

Downright DK clone or not, he'd be hilarious. And in a way, he could be presented much like Lucina, being a sort of "easy DK" compared how Lucina is "easy Marth". DK is not everyone's piece of cake, mostly because how he recovers and how relatively easy it is to gimp him. Funky Kong could fix that, and have a far more potent recovery with his surfboard, and be just a little weaker (but still strong enough to get easy KOs) to trade this of.

Am 100000% down with this. And whoever isn't, is a hater with no sense of style or purpose in life.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So one of my most wanted newcomers is Daisy. I really hope she gets in this time, because I feel like we don't have any female fighter with a personality and attitude like hers, she would bring along flower and plant based moves, and she is cute, yet tough. Also, I feel like it was so unfair that she got snubbed in favour of Rosalina.
Well I mean, Rosalina was a breakout character from one of the most popular Mario titles. She's a big deal.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Also, it's worth noting that Nintendo makes no mention of a "first look" at Smash Bros. at
E3. My guess is that we'll get a Direct in the next couple of weeks, and then a full blowout at E3 a month or so later.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Also, it's worth noting that Nintendo makes no mention of a "first look" at Smash Bros. at
E3. My guess is that we'll get a Direct in the next couple of weeks, and then a full blowout at E3 a month or so later.
Don't do this to me, man. I can't start up hope again just based on some ambiguous syntax.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Don't do this to me, man. I can't start up hope again just based on some ambiguous syntax.
Hey hey, don't get excited lol. Just speculation for now. Nintendo does have to announce stuff for the latter half of summer soon though. That's why I think a Direct isn't out of the question.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Why. Why would you say such a hope inspiring thing?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Whats with all this glorious Funky Kong imagrey on my screen? Now Im wanting to get Funky in Smash even more :laugh:

Seeing an event in which DK becomes the series that Sakurai is ''biased towards'' this time around would be a shocking 180 against the 'spotlight' series of FE and KI that we saw last game (but my DK-biased ass would revel in it for ages! :p).

I expect at least 1 new DK character (I think K Rool is a quite safe inclusion) but if DK got the character boost FE got in Smash 4 that would be insane. DK, Diddy, Dixie, K Rool, Funky, Cranky.

6 DK guys vs 6 FE guys.

The matchup to finally end all matchups.

'Western apes + a croc' vs 'anime swordsmen'.

...Nah, I gotta be realistic. As much as Id love untapped DK potential to be explored, Ill be lucky to see just K Rool and Dixie :p !

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Why. Why would you say such a hope inspiring thing?
It's just something I noticed reading their presentation and their Twitter post. You would think they would make it a point to say "World Premiere first look at Super Smash Bros. for Switch at E3" if they were going to reveal it at the show. But they didn't, that's why I think we'll get something in May. Probably not with a ton of info. But something.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well the paid online info is suppose to come out sometime in May, so Smash should be included there in some form, so it technically counts as info before E3. :p

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whats with all this glorious Funky Kong imagrey on my screen? Now Im wanting to get Funky in Smash even more :laugh:

Seeing an event in which DK becomes the series that Sakurai is ''biased towards'' this time around would be a shocking 180 against the 'spotlight' series of FE and KI that we saw last game (but my DK-biased *** would revel in it for ages! :p).

I expect at least 1 new DK character (I think K Rool is a quite safe inclusion) but if DK got the character boost FE got in Smash 4 that would be insane. DK, Diddy, Dixie, K Rool, Funky, Cranky.

6 DK guys vs 6 FE guys.

The matchup to finally end all matchups.

'Western apes + a croc' vs 'anime swordsmen'.

...Nah, I gotta be realistic. As much as Id love untapped DK potential to be explored, Ill be lucky to see just K Rool and Dixie :p !
Honestly, I don't see it happening either. BUT... the raw potential of having 3 DKC newcomers in the form of K.Rool, Dixie and Funky would just be golden. And therefore, I want it to happen, and gonna be a loud supporter for it. Two of them are low effort additions which would be very well received, and one is King K.Rool, who we all know is very popular and in dire need of a new appearance.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Also, don't expect any Smash info next week or anything. It's Golden Week in Japan. Businesses close down for the week. The Nintendo Online thing will just be a website update, not a Direct.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Hey hey, don't get excited lol. Just speculation for now. Nintendo does have to announce stuff for the latter half of summer soon though. That's why I think a Direct isn't out of the question.
What's that? You want me to have hope? But I'm in the middle of acceptance...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Also, don't expect any Smash info next week or anything. It's Golden week in Japan. Businesses close down for the week. The Nintendo Online thing will just be a website update, not a Direct.
Ah a little dose of reality through the hope that sprung up.

Troykv

Smash Master
Also, don't expect any Smash info next week or anything. It's Golden week in Japan. Businesses close down for the week. The Nintendo Online thing will just be a website update, not a Direct.
It makes sense, just enjoy the peaceful days and the possible offers/events in your favorite gachas :p

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
It makes sense, just enjoy the peaceful days and the possible offers/events in your favorite gachas :p
Yup. Sakurai should get a break this coming week, hopefully. Assuming he's taking it easier than before.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How do you feel about the idea of Nintendo Power being represented as a character in the form of Nester. I have been thinking about Nintendo Power's impact in U.S. gaming history, and although that history would likely have nothing to do with Sakurai personally, I think I may finally have found something that could compete for a historical retro character.

TheMagic1

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwagAlt
I wish Smash Mario wasn't so bland. And I'm not talking about his moveset, I'm talking about his voice. Where's the cheery and bouncy Mario that we all know and love? Why is he so serious in these games?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
How do you feel about the idea of Nintendo Power being represented as a character in the form of Nester. I have been thinking about Nintendo Power's impact in U.S. gaming history, and although that history would likely have nothing to do with Sakurai personally, I think I may finally have found something that could compete for a historical retro character.
Gotta be a video game character bruh. If he's not in a game, he's not gonna come around

Problem with Daisy comparing to Rosalina is that Rosalina's popularity sparked due to her backstory in Galaxy and Nintendo pushing her as a secondary female comparing to Daisy who was sidetracked to the spinoffs and sports. Had she made more appearance in a main game, I'll be all up for her

What if Nintendo released an SSB manga?
The Smash gods will torture us

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I finished my RTC analysis on Tom Nook, boy, it didn't take me until writing that I realized that Tom is my #1 most wanted newcomer. I NEED IT. I only have that Hanafuda character analysis to go, then my prediction roster will be finalized. :chuckle:

Last edited:
Funky with a surfboard moveset is enticing. Honestly, between him, Dixie, K. Rool, and Cranky, there's so much untapped potential in DK characters, I'd be thrilled with any of them in the game.
The surfboard is an interesting mechanic which brings up some neat possibilities,, especially in the air.

There is a bit to work with for Cranky, his moveset could potentially be a mesh between classic Donkey Kong (barrels, girders,etc) and DKC (Squawks as a recovery move, Dentures, cane, gramophone, etc).

I like Dixie but I think I like Cranky a little more! For me any DKC representation in Smash would be welcomed with open arms.

D

Deleted member

Off-Topic, but I want to thank and hug Sakurai for all the hard work he put in into making these games, which affected my life quite importantly and greatly.

Same with the Nintendo CEOs.

The road to E3 is going to be hype.
I wish Smash Mario wasn't so bland. And I'm not talking about his moveset, I'm talking about his voice. Where's the cheery and bouncy Mario that we all know and love? Why is he so serious in these games?
Uhh, Mario's voice does not seem so serious and bland, actually.
His victory voice is quite cheery actually, and Mario's voice is not as cheery and bouncy as you think in other Mario games.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If you could get only one thing non-character related for the next game, what would it be?

I'm going with changing the loop on songs from 2 mins. to whenever the song needs it. Some remixes are seriously stumped in SSB4 because of it.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If you could get only one thing non-character related for the next game, what would it be?

I'm going with changing the loop on songs from 2 mins. to whenever the song needs it. Some remixes are seriously stumped in SSB4 because of it.
I would personally like the return of certain songs from previous titles that stayed to one specific game.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

I want the original classic mode back.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

It would have to be a sequel to the Sub Space Emissary. I loved playing that mode, especially co-op.

I know Sakurai was heartbroken by people uploading the cutscenes to YouTube, but I only ever saw them through the game and it was a really awesome experience. Plus, YouTube has got somewhat better with taking down copyrighted material, so it would be easier for them to be taken down.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Yoshi's Island Melee. I've always liked the stage (For a reason I don't know). Marx's Theme's remix from Brawl should also return.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace

As much as I wanna say Adventure or Story mode or anything else along those lines, I'm gonna go with the return of 64/Melee style Break the Targets with unique stages for everyone. Target Blast was a complete waste, and never felt fun even in the slightest compared to Break the Targets.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In before Dixie, Funky, and Cranky all become one character called ''The Kongs" to represent the partner swap system from the Country games.

That way every Kong fan wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom