• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Daily reminder that "wasting slots" doesn't exist

Also, while a clone of Pit, he is literally inverse Pit. I think he could (and should) fight in a vastly different way than Pit, even if he sticks to only using the Silver Bow.
But why stick with the Silver Bow when there's plenty of other options for weapons? First Blade, EZ Cannon, Ogre Club, and he can definitely use his staff beyond just his Final Smash.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
She has... her custom moves. You can use them. They are not that hard to get. She's obviously designed to deward you for getting those moves.
We have no idea if custom moves are going to be implemented. If so, then shift some of her boring moves into unlockable specials. Getting custom moves should also be easier and not a badly designed time sink.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
We have no idea if custom moves are going to be implemented. If so, then shift some of her boring moves into unlockable specials. Getting custom moves should also be easier and not a badly designed time sink.
I agree, they shouldn't be her only moves. Custom moves, well... if you play the game much you'll eventually get them and it's probably the intend (since they are geared towards casual players, mostly) but I agree a more reliable way to get them would be good.

But why stick with the Silver Bow when there's plenty of other options for weapons? First Blade, EZ Cannon, Ogre Club, and he can definitely use his staff beyond just his Final Smash.
Because the only reason he was payable is because they didn't have time to do any of that and the Silver bow is still his main weapon :p

Not to say being decloned is impossible, but at most I would expect Falco. Similar moves with little changes here and there.
:061:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The biggest offense of adding Dark Pit is exactly that. Adding "Dark Pit". If they named him "Pittoo" in Smash I swear people would feel better with his inclusion.

Also maybe give some of moves different properties. Just slightly change him up a tiny bit if he's coming back.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That's like asking why Lucas doesn't use different PSI moves or why Luigi doesn't throw a boomerang instead of a fireball.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm pretty sure that he was originally just going to be an alt costume during development just like Lucina, only to be separated and made a separate character. But either way, Dark Pit is LITERALLY A CLONE OF PIT. If Sakurai can't give Pittoo different weapons than the ones that Pit has and give him a complete moveset overhaul, then he'd be a waste of a character slot again. Also, if regular Link gets a moveset overhaul with his new BotW appearance, then Toon Link doesn't even need to be decloned himself, as he wouldn't even be a clone anymore.
Slots aren’t a thing. I’m sure they can throw the CSS icon together in like five minutes and have it working within a day.

It’s the actual character that matters, and if the character is a clone who barely takes any time to make, and people like him, what’s the harm?

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Side B - cragalanche canon
Down B Arlon Orbitars
Up B - same
Neutral B - Phosphora Bow
Perfect
Decloned

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't mind decloning him but at this point how different we need characters to be? There is a big chance next game's roster will be 50+ base. That's kinda a ridiculous number. How much character people want so that extras won't feel like a new coat of paint on a cheap car?

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
My main issue with Dark Pit is that he does actually have some potential for a unique moveset with different weapons from Kid Icarus Uprising still being available. Sakurai just decided to make him basically a clone of Pit with very minimal changes aside from Side Special, voice, Final Smash, and a couple of other things. Having a different personality than Pit doesn't make him different enough to say that he's not basically an outright clone of him, because that's what he literally is, just with Pit's repressed feelings as his personality, and a black and purple color scheme. Blades, Palms, Claws, Cannons, and Clubs are all other types of weapons in Kid Icarus, and if Pittoo was able to use the Electroshock Arm in his moveset despite not using it in Uprising, then he sure can use weapons of those types too.

Basically, I'm just really bothered by the fact that he was an outright clone in Smash Bros. when he had a good amount of moveset potential. If he were Luigified at least, then I'd be happy with his inclusion. And yes, character slots aren't a thing, yadda yadda, I'm just still dissatisfied with him in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Pit is essentially a wallflower character. Everyone acknowledges that he's one of the bigger characters pushed in Smash, yet no one really seems to notice him. He's rarely used online, people consider his moveset to be so-so, and he gets forgotten in discussions all the time. Create a clone character from that and you've basically got wallflower #2.

That's why I think Sakurai needs to take into consideration the popularity of the character he wants to make a clone from before he actually goes through with it. I remember people weren't really happy about Wolf and Lucina being a clone, but it seems like most of the fanbase has warmed up to them. Dark Pit...really hasn't made much progress.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The biggest offense of adding Dark Pit is exactly that. Adding "Dark Pit". If they named him "Pittoo" in Smash I swear people would feel better with his inclusion.
I'd rather characters be named by their appropriate names. I don't need Bowser Junior to be named Junior and I don't need Dr. Mario to be named Doc.

I think people should just be content with Dark Pit's inclusion instead of trying to throw a bunch of unnecessary stuff at him. People shouldn't be offended by character inclusions.

My main issue with Dark Pit is that he does actually have some potential for a unique moveset with different weapons from Kid Icarus Uprising still being available. Sakurai just decided to make him basically a clone of Pit with very minimal changes aside from Side Special, voice, Final Smash, and a couple of other things. Having a different personality than Pit doesn't make him different enough to say that he's not basically an outright clone of him, because that's what he literally is, just with Pit's repressed feelings as his personality, and a black and purple color scheme. Blades, Palms, Claws, Cannons, and Clubs are all other types of weapons in Kid Icarus, and if Pittoo was able to use the Electroshock Arm in his moveset despite not using it in Uprising, then he sure can use weapons of those types too.

TLDR: I'm just really bothered by the fact that he was an outright clone in Smash Bros. when he had a good amount of moveset potential. If he were Luigified at least, then I'd be happy with his inclusion. And yes, character slots aren't a thing, yadda yadda, I'm just still dissatisfied with him in Smash 4.
Ok but. . .it was this or bothing. There were essentially 2 options. Awkward alt or clone.

That's the while point. Sakurai didnt "choose" to make him a clone. It was all that was allowed with the available resources.
:061:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'd rather characters be named by their appropriate names. I don't need Bowser Junior to be named Junior and I don't need Dr. Mario to be named Doc.

I think people should just be content with Dark Pit's inclusion instead of trying to throw a bunch of unnecessary stuff at him. People shouldn't be offended by character inclusions.
I just think "Dark Pit" is a boring name when he has an equally canon and more interesting name in his base game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

TLDR: I'm just really bothered by the fact that he was an outright clone in Smash Bros. when he had a good amount of moveset potential. If he were Luigified at least, then I'd be happy with his inclusion. And yes, character slots aren't a thing, yadda yadda, I'm just still dissatisfied with him in Smash 4.
I understand if you want Dark Pit to be improved, but your expectations are very unreasonable. Out of him, Dr. Mario, and Lucina, you want Dark Pit to be a 100% original character.

The reason Dark Pit uses a silver bow is because it is his main weapon. Just because Luigi has the poltergust, doesn't mean it should be his entire move set because it would make him different from Mario.

Nobody is making the argument that Dark Pit or Falco don't use unique weapons because they can't. The argument is that they don't need to. And they don't.

Being a clone doesn't make Dark Pit any less of a character. He is just as much his own fighter as Pit is. I'm all for him getting unique orbitars, but you're going too far.

If you make Dark Pit a completely unique character, then you have to do the same for every character. Including Lucas and Roy. It's not worth the effort.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Just gonna perform a little necromancy and bring this idea back: Pokefloats 2. We have 7 entire generations now, with plenty of interesting designs for Pokemon that could be fun shapes to fight on in the regular form of the stage. Omega Form wouldn't be a problem as Avalugg is a perfect Final Destintation shape. We could fight on top of a Wailord, on the shoulders of a Golurk, on Komala's head and log, etc.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Dark Pit...really hasn't made much progress.
Citation needed.

Even if what you said was true, it doesn't make a difference. It doesn't matter if ten people like a character and one hundred people hate him. The people who like him are worth more because the character is optional to play as.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I understand if you want Dark Pit to be improved, but your expectations are very unreasonable. Out of him, Dr. Mario, and Lucina, you want Dark Pit to be a 100% original character.

The reason Dark Pit uses a silver bow is because it is his main weapon. Just because Luigi has the poltergust, doesn't mean it should be his entire move set because it would make him different from Mario.

Nobody is making the argument that Dark Pit or Falco don't use unique weapons because they can't. The argument is that they don't need to. And they don't.

Being a clone doesn't make Dark Pit any less of a character. He is just as much his own fighter as Pit is. I'm all for him getting unique orbitars, but you're going too far.

If you make Dark Pit a completely unique character, then you have to do the same for every character. Including Lucas and Roy. It's not worth the effort.
If he were Luigified at least, then I'd be happy with his inclusion.
I don't care if he's made completely decloned. I want to him to be actually different from Pit in SOME WAY that'll make him not an outright clone.

THIS topic ends NOW because I am sick and tired of all of this garbage.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
Whatever the reason was, I'm glad that Sakurai added treated Uprising nicely because who'll knowa when we will have another entry.

And while I'm not interested in Dark Pit getting a reworked and unique moveset over certain veterans, I do think he needs to have some kind of niche over Pit because he's a pretty arbirtary clone. Lucina is basically easy mode Marth, Dr. Mario is a slower but stronger Mario, but what purpose does Dark Pit even serve?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't care if he's made completely decloned. I want to him to be actually different from Pit in SOME WAY that'll make him not an outright clone.

THIS topic ends NOW because I am sick and tired of all of this garbage.
Don't get me wrong. I'm sick of it too. I'm just tired of people complaining about characters.

D

Deleted member

Funky for Smash. :shades:
Funky Kong is being pushed far more heavily for Tropical Freeze's Switch release than any other port with additional content has ever done with a new character to my knowledge.

Here's hoping that'll give him good odds as DLC, since all this Funky business came about a bit too late if Smash's roster was planned out in 2016 for me to believe he has a shot in the base game.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I would be surprised once more if K. Rool and/or Dixie do not appear.
This has got to be their game. Dixie had her big return in Tropical Freeze, and K. Rool was shown during the ballot period to be a massively requested fighter worldwide, in addition to the Mii costume as an homage. I think a lot of people sleep on the idea of both of them being in the game, but it's not super far-fetched. But I'm going to be a pessimist and say we get a Funky semi-clone so I'm not disappointed (I'd actually love to see Funky, but nowhere near as much as I'd like to see Dixie or K. Rool).

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I would be surprised once more if K. Rool and/or Dixie do not appear.
Pretty sure there'd be plenty of outcry if neither one were to be included in Smash 5, and we'd get one as DLC like Lucas and Roy if neither is on the base roster. However, they have the ballot results and they'll probably be high up and definitely considered for the roster.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think it's possible Sakurai saw the new Funky mode and decided to include Funky as a last minute clone of DK.

Just make him a bit weaker, but more agile, and have him use his surfboard for a couple moves.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Don't get me wrong. I'm sick of it too. I'm just tired of people complaining about characters.
Nobody was complaining, we're discussing whether a character should be different or not. If people were taking this conversation on a hostile way, that's their own problem. I think Dark Pit's status is a good topic to discuss, especially in regards to what could happen in the upcoming title.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, I could actually see a Funky semi-clone. If we end up with clones/semi-clones this game, Funky seems like a good choice. I'd rather have Dixie or K. Rool though.
Funky would probably be more like the unlockables in Smash 64. DK's model can be used to create Funky Kong, but you can still give Funky mostly unique abilities.

It probably won't happen because Donkey Kong is one of the biggest characters in the game, but Funky has the most style and potential for a DK newcomer. He's also been in a lot of Mario spin offs just like Dixie.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Citation needed.

Even if what you said was true, it doesn't make a difference. It doesn't matter if ten people like a character and one hundred people hate him. The people who like him are worth more because the character is optional to play as.
That's like saying the Emoji Movie was a good idea because a few people genuinely liked the movie and it was optional to watch.

Look, I'm not trying to say that absolutely everyone hates Dark Pit and that he needs to be immediately removed. However, I do think Sakurai needs to take Dark Pit's criticism to heart. As the consumers, we have a right to tell Sakurai what we do and do not like about the product we are purchasing. If a majority of fans weren't particularly fond of the way Dark Pit was handled, then maybe Sakurai can learn from it and find a way to better implement both Dark Pit and future characters in the following Smash games.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Funky Kong is being pushed far more heavily for Tropical Freeze's Switch release than any other port with additional content has ever done with a new character to my knowledge.

Here's hoping that'll give him good odds as DLC, since all this Funky business came about a bit too late if Smash's roster was planned out in 2016 for me to believe he has a shot in the base game.
You think last-minute clones can make it in the DLC phase? Clones feel like something that would only happen in the base game when the team is bigger and not smaller like with Smash 4's DLC.

D

Deleted member

Huh...what's funny is that with how they've been handling Funky, it's almost like a deliberate play on the Simpson's character Poochie and how he was handled for the Itchy & Scratchy cartoon in-universe.

Only unlike Poochie, Funky isn't nearly as overbearing and has been around since the beginning of the Country series with this being more of a breakout role rather than complete focus shift on the character while leaving the other members of the cast with little spotlight (outside of marketing, which uses Funky as the main selling point of the Switch release).

In other words, Nintendo is pulling an actually decent and well-received "Poochie" moment.

D

Deleted member

You think last-minute clones can make it in the DLC phase? Clones feel like something that would only happen in the base game when the team is bigger and not smaller like with Smash 4's DLC.
You're assuming that I'm saying Funky would be a last-minute clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom