• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
(Unless we did this hundreds of pages ago,) Let's play a game. The roster of playable Pokémon in Smash Bros. is completely reset with the exception of Pikachu, the series mascot. Your job is to put in a sole representative from each generation into Smash Bros. as a playable character. (Stuff like Plusle & Minun as a pairing is acceptable, but NO TRAINERS.) And please, no flame wars or anything over anyone else's picks.

I'll start:
Gen 1: Mewtwo
Gen 2: Scizor
Gen 3: Blaziken
Gen 4: Lucario
Gen 5: Zoroark
Gen 6: Greninja
Gen 7: Decidueye
Gen 1: Jigglypuff
Gen 2: Sunflora (criminally ignored by most)
Gen 3: Crawdaunt
Gen 4: Bronzong :awesome: (I'm serious, one of the few gen IV I really like with Drifblim)
Gen 5: CHANDELURE
Gen 6: Aegislash
Gen 7: Palossand Decidueye

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
(was gonna put this in @TumblrFamous ' Unpopular Opinion thread but i'm not actually sure how unpopular this opinion is)

i've seen a lot of people gripe over the idea of indie characters getting in, but like... why? if Clod can be here just because Square Enix said so, then i think the likes of Shantae and Shovel Knight have more than enough credentials.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
(Unless we did this hundreds of pages ago,) Let's play a game. The roster of playable Pokémon in Smash Bros. is completely reset with the exception of Pikachu, the series mascot. Your job is to put in a sole representative from each generation into Smash Bros. as a playable character. (Stuff like Plusle & Minun as a pairing is acceptable, but NO TRAINERS.) And please, no flame wars or anything over anyone else's picks.

I'll start:
My opinion may change tomorrow

Mandatory: Pikachu

Gen 2: Smeargle
Gen 3: Castform
Gen 4: Rotom
Gen 5: Haxorus
Gen 6: Hawlucha
Gen 7: Type: Null

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Talking about Pokemon, an Ideal Pokemon roster for me would be the following:

Pikachu and Jigglypuff- Original 64 mascots.
Lucario and Mewtwo- Badasses with big roles on movies.
Decidueye and/or Geninja- Recent and popular.
Pokemon Trainer Red- Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise. To represent the trainer aspect of the game. They would not be obliged to be locked to the trainer though, but could be chosen freely, with the option of not having the transformation. Charizard is the fastest and lightest, Venusaur is all round, and Blastoise is the defensive heavyweight.
Team Rocket- To represent the villains. They could be the anime/pokemon yellow trio or Giovanni. I would go with the trio for the fun. Meowth, Arbok and Victreebel. We don't have characters with the body style of the later two, what would make them really unique. They were made for smash. They have an entrance, obvious taunt lines and victory poses, and star KOs were based on them. They would be so much fun lol.

It's just an ideal and biased Pokemon roster far from likely. But I think that with them the roster would represent the pokemon history and legacy very well.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
(was gonna put this in @TumblrFamous ' Unpopular Opinion thread but i'm not actually sure how unpopular this opinion is)

i've seen a lot of people gripe over the idea of indie characters getting in, but like... why? if Clod can be here just because Square Enix said so, then i think the likes of Shantae and Shovel Knight have more than enough credentials.
I wouldn't say it's a hugely unpopular opinion, but people are split on the matter. Some people prefer 3rd parties to be notable characters that have had a significant impact on the video game industry, but personally I find the idea of an indie being included incredibly charming, it'd be like the ultimate bond between Nintendo and its fanbase. I mean, if Shovel Knight were to get in we'd have a character who's game wouldn't even have existed if not for video game fans funding it, it'd be incredible if something like that made it as far as getting into one of Nintendo's biggest IPs.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Clod (lol) is an iconic character from an iconic franchise which is known by the masses and has been heavily requested for smash, they're just indie characters, I'll pass

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't say it's a hugely unpopular opinion, but people are split on the matter. Some people prefer 3rd parties to be notable characters that have had a significant impact on the video game industry, but personally I find the idea of an indie being included incredibly charming, it'd be like the ultimate bond between Nintendo and its fanbase. I mean, if Shovel Knight were to get in we'd have a character who's game wouldn't even have existed if not for video game fans funding it, it'd be incredible if something like that made it as far as getting into one of Nintendo's biggest IPs.
I also find indie games pretty charming in general but just because they are underdogs doesn't mean they have more importance for fans.

Cloud isn't picked just because his importance. He was one of the most requested characters and his inclusion was Sakurai's way of saying to fans their ideas is more important than the characters' Nintendo appearence.

An indie character isn't out of the realm of possibility but I don't think they have that big fan support all guest fighters has.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Indies don't have the same credentials as Final Fantasy. Third parties really should be the best of the best and Bayonetta already sticks out like a sore thumb, but she got in because of the ballot. Unless an indie managed to top a second ballot...

Someone like Shovel Knight going up against Sonic and co is like a highschool football team going to the super bowl.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

In my opinion, because the series was supposed to be about Nintendo. 10% of the Smash 4 roster are third party, and characters like Snake and Cloud are out of place and take away from the whole "Nintendo" thing (even though I love both). I'd rather have another rep for a Nintendo franchise I don't like than a third party I would love. Nintendo should be a priority in a Nintendo crossover.

Also, as third parties keep being piled on the roster, I think it'll start to lose the charm. Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man and Mega Man were big deals. Ryu and Cloud came out of nowhere and surprised everyone. Bayo won the ballot and became half a Nintendo character, so to speak. But now everyone's speculating what third party is getting in, and even indies. It just isn't special anymore when third parties are taken for granted.

Staarih

Smash Master
I agree that Smash should be Nintendo first and foremost, but I personally wouldn't mind an indie character (or any other third party) as long as they have strong ties to Nintendo, something I feel the likes of Shantae and Shovel Knight have. But still they're pretty unlikely in my eyes.

I also wonder how much of an "indie" the character would be after Smash lol, the publicity/visibility is pretty huge and I bet the studios' and their games would receive way more attention than ever before.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord

I'll start:
Gen I: Mewtwo
Gen II: Suicune
Gen III: Blaziken
Gen IV: Garchomp
Gen V: Krookodile
Gen VI: Delphox
Gen VII: Bewear

Last edited:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
>Captain Toad would be perfect for Super Smash Bros. Switch because he celebrates the essence of Toad.

So making obnoxious noises that sounds like a choking turkey and being totally useless at protecting Peach.

Seems legit.
I'm not sure we're entirely on the same page, but this got a good laugh out of me, so take a like. You earned it.

kylexv

Smash Master
Gen 7: Deciueye

Well I'm sure mine is very similar to others XD

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not necessarily against Shovel Knight or Shantae getting in Smash, but to tell you the truth, I'm kinda burnt out on third-parties.

After the triple whammy we got in Smash 4's DLC, I'd honestly be completely fine with Smash Switch not getting any new third-parties or indies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd love to see Shovel Knight for Indies. If Steve? was still an Indie, he'd be a more iconic option, of course. But there's really none that heavily stick out as is at this point. Shovel Knight is getting up there, mind you.

Regardless, I don't much care about 3rd parties having a "tie to Nintendo". I just want interesting options. Ironically my most wanted is a Nintendo-exclusive, but still.

RE: Indies. Put 'em in. I dont care. I dont see a point for making up criteria just to exclude characters. Im not a fan of most of them by coincidence but it doesn't have to do with them being indie. Shovel Knight/Plague Knight would be great

Kanto: Poliwhirl Charizard
Johto: Politoad Scizor
Hoenn: Blaziken
Sinnoh: Lucario
Unova: Genesect
Kalos: Greninja
Alola: Inciniroar

If you really want to, swamp out Greninja for Hawlucha and Inciniroar for Decidueye. But it's a package deal. I need some wrestling somehow :p

:061:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So did any voice actors on social media for requested characters or perhaps unconfirmed Vets say anything about working on a "future project". Didn't this happen with Shulk?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not necessarily against Shovel Knight or Shantae getting in Smash, but to tell you the truth, I'm kinda burnt out on third-parties.

After the triple whammy we got in Smash 4's DLC, I'd honestly be completely fine with Smash Switch not getting any new third-parties or indies.
I feel the same. We also don't really have any "all-star" in the sense of previous ones (maybe Bomber Man?). A character like that and maybe another one popular in the ballot seems like more than enough, if every guest fighter in Smash For returns.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I'll start:
1: Charizard
2: Umbreon & Espeon
3: Grovyle
4: Lucario
5: Victini
6: Greninja
7: Bewear

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So did any voice actors on social media for requested characters or perhaps unconfirmed Vets say anything about working on a "future project". Didn't this happen with Shulk?
No idea. I've been looking around to see if Patricia Summersett (BotW Zelda) and any other BotW voice actor (particularly the Champions :p) has said anything, but so far I haven't found anything noteworthy.

Even though most of us agree that BotW Zelda is probably going to replace TP Zelda, it would still be nice to have that official confirmation.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Gen 1: Jigglypuff
Gen 2: Sunflora (criminally ignored by most)
Gen 3: Crawdaunt
Gen 4: Bronzong :awesome: (I'm serious, one of the few gen IV I really like with Drifblim)
Gen 5: CHANDELURE
Gen 6: Aegislash
Gen 7: Palossand Decidueye
Gen 1: Gengar
Gen 2: Skarmory
Gen 3: Mudkip
Gen 4: Dusknoir
Gen 5: Chandelure
Gen 6: Florges
Gen 7: Tsareena

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Clod? Who's Clod?
oh didn't you know about Smash 4's super secret hidden character? you unlock him by typing really fast on a message board and then not proofreading before you hit 'post reply'

ehh, i'll lay off Clo(u)d. he's had more Nintendo appearances than I realized even if they were all spinoffs and side games. and i'm not even a huge advocate for any particular indie character, it's just the dismissive mindset toward them that rubs me the wrong way. maybe i'm reading too much into it, i dunno

No idea. I've been looking around to see if Patricia Summersett (BotW Zelda) and any other BotW voice actor (particularly the Champions :p) has said anything, but so far I haven't found anything noteworthy.
ooh yeah, keep us posted! i hadn't thought of voice actors, that's a good thing to look out for.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Mandatory: Pikachu

Gen 1: Mewtwo - Gotta have him.
Gen 2: Pichu - Wouldn't mind Pichu if he was de-cloned. Hell, add in a second and call them the Pichu Bros.
Gen 3: Blaziken - Although I prefer Sceptile, since he's my favorite, Blaziken is definitely a fan-favorite that'd be great to see.
Gen 4: Lucario - Important in the show and the games. Great addition.
Gen 5: Zoroark - 2nd favorite Pokemon overall, important enough to have its own movie, and had mild importance in the games.
Gen 6: Greninja - Another solid addition with importance in the show and even in the games with Ash-Greninja.
Gen 7: Decidueye - Tons of potential with an archery-based moveset.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
With Indie characters, I don't know if they'd get in or anything, but I wouldn't mind Shantae or Shovel Knight because I personally liked their games, or singular game in Shovel Knight's case. Same as any third party character I guess, if I like them, that's all there is to it for supporting them.

The Pokemon thing? Guess I could play along.

Pikachu: Mandatory
Gen 2: Heracross, Always liked that Pokemon
Gen 3: Blaziken, favorite Pokemon overall
Gen 4: Lucario, he's fun to play as it is.
Gen 5: Samurott or Victini would be alright
Gen 6: Geninja, same as Lucario
Gen 7: Decidueye or Incineroar I guess

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'll take anything to get rid of Zelda's Twilight Princess design. I have really, REALLY never liked it, it's always just been really boring to me.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Not sure if they count as indie, but anyone from companies such as
Level 5, Natsume, Grasshopper Manufacture, and Office Create would be a pretty decent and basically an indie character in my eyes.

And for the Pokemon list game...

Gen 2: Sudowoodo
Gen 3: Deoxys
Gen 6: Hoopa Unbound
Gen 7: Zeraora

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well if i had to pick a pokemon for each gen

1: sandslash
2: typhlosion
3: banette
4: tangrowth
5: samurott
6: hawlucha
7: palossand

they wouldnt get in otherwise

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Not sure if they count as indie, but anyone from companies such as
Level 5, Natsume, Grasshopper Manufacture, and Office Create would be a pretty decent and basically an indie character in my eyes.

And for the Pokemon list game...

Gen 2: Sudowoodo
Gen 3: Deoxys
Gen 6: Hoopa Unbound
Gen 7: Zeraora
:185:There's :185:Something:185:About:185:This:185:List:185:I:185:Like.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
:185:There's :185:Something:185:About:185:This:185:List:185:I:185:Like.
It just seems perfect.

What crossed my mind for Gen 2 was there was no clear obvious choice, it's probably the most pick whomever you want, out of all the gens.

I figured, well Pichu used to be in Smash, he was a gag character, But Sudowoodo just comes off as a better gag but yet somehow legitimate.
:185:

Imagine this glorious tree lobbing bonsly's at you and spraying you with squirt bottles.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
In my opinion, because the series was supposed to be about Nintendo. 10% of the Smash 4 roster are third party, and characters like Snake and Cloud are out of place and take away from the whole "Nintendo" thing (even though I love both). I'd rather have another rep for a Nintendo franchise I don't like than a third party I would love. Nintendo should be a priority in a Nintendo crossover.

Also, as third parties keep being piled on the roster, I think it'll start to lose the charm. Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man and Mega Man were big deals. Ryu and Cloud came out of nowhere and surprised everyone. Bayo won the ballot and became half a Nintendo character, so to speak. But now everyone's speculating what third party is getting in, and even indies. It just isn't special anymore when third parties are taken for granted.
Ah. You only got one Like for this. Here, dude. I'll give you another one.

Where my true Smash fans at?! Oh. That's right. We're extinct.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Don't gatekeep, man. You're not the one who decides who's a legitimate fan and who isn't.

Ah. You only got one Like for this. Here, dude. I'll give you another one.

Ahh yes. No true smash fans here. Your purity is to be worshiped. :p

EDIT: :Opo I swear this is like the 4th time we've made almost identical posts in the last two weeks within seconds of each other. It's getting weird :p

:061:

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The whole "Nintendo All-Stars" concept has been dead since Brawl as soon as they included Snake and Sonic. But honestly I love the idea of Super Smash Bros. being more of a tribute to the rich history of video games in general, being the ultimate crossover ever conceived in any medium.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Smash Bros should be Nintendo first
It will always be a celebration of Nintendo with some guests
The truly iconic and important to Nintendo third party reps are few.
Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Phoenix Wright, and Professor Layton are all iconic in their own right and have ties to Nintendo. I would like to see any of them join
With some exceptions like Joker as an ATLUS rep ala Cloud and Sora from Kingdom Hearts as well

I personally don’t think any indie is worthy of inclusion, none of them have the history or legacy to justify it imo
Shovel Knight if anything because he’s a fan favorite and a modern classic but I don’t see that happening

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The funny thing about the whole indie debate is that had we had this type of discussion 3 years ago, I'd be constantly arguing against the indie characters... but at this point, I really don't care. When Geno of all characters was seriously considered and wanted, I doubt icon status would be a significant disadvantage for any indie character. If we get, say, Sans of all characters, I'll just shrug my shoulders and move on. We already have a third-party character who isn't exactly a major video game icon and Geno who could have been a third-party character inclusion in Brawl or Smash 4 had Square been more okay with it. One more "small" third-party character isn't going to make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom