• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Ya don't even remember me?

Also guys...

How many characters from the ballot do you think will happen?
I'm imagining at least 3 to 4 popular characters from the Ballot could possibly become playable; depending on how well they did overall and if those Mii Fighter costumes were consolation prizes. At the very least, K. Rool has a fair bit going for him, if the "Mii Costumes were a consolation prize" theory is anything to go by, so I can imagine that'd put him in the Smash Switch roster.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I HATE ranking systems in video games if there is no reward for them.

It's so pointless to have a rank when in most games it's boils down to ''How many hours have you played this lately?" and not even true skill.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have one more RTC analysis to go, and it is the historical retro surprise, a Hanafuda character. The past two months of researching the roster has almost paid off.

I will be explaining my reasonings for transformations returning, and then I will be done for good. The only thing I will have to do is wait for a May or E3 reveal.

Woooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :drflip:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
A 3rd party character that is from non-video game media.
Because people wanted to make up some way to describe them and have no idea how legal classifications work.
So it's basically a arbitrary definition that was thrown around here to explain something that really didn't need it's own category to explain. Got it, had a feeling it as something like that.

D

Deleted member

I HATE ranking systems in video games if there is no reward for them.

It's so pointless to have a rank when in most games it's boils down to ''How many hours have you played this lately?" and not even true skill.
Yes, I understand you.
Maybe you can get a lot of money for reward in the ranking system?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Surely the reward of any good ranking system is a more enjoyable and fairer experience?

Some online games have extra perks like extra costumes, accessories, or gimmicks as you level up. Maybe Smash can do the same: earn neat costumes by ranking up online.

What the matchmaking needs is proper ranks and tiers. Halo 3 for example had ranks but different tiers for them. If you aren't good enough to increase in rank you stay in your current one but higher up the tier.

It needs to truly match people of similar ranks and win % but also by matches played to keep the skill gap as small as possible.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
If there is a playable character from Rhythm Heaven, would he/she/it be flat like characters are in the RH games?

D

Deleted member

If there is a playable character from Rhythm Heaven, would he/she/it be flat like characters are in the RH games?
Not at all.
Almost every character can be considered "flat", as they were in digital games.
Plus, I think Sakurai wants to keep the "2-D" aspect simple with Mr. Game and Watch.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Smash Bros., even though it was originally a celebration of just everything Nintendo, is now more of a celebration of gaming's finest (as long as they have a history or connection with Nintendo), and a 4th party would end up completely ruining it all. Goku might be one of the greatest Anime and Manga characters of all time, but he doesn't belong in a video game with some of the greatest video game characters of all time. The spotlight is on video games, not everything that ever existed.
I meeeeeaaaaaan.....I could go either way on that one.

Just like I was saying in my other post about the lines of what counts as "Nintendo" being arbitrary, if you want to make the line for a celebration of video games to be "originated as a videogame character" that's fine but it's an arbitrary line that isn't as...self evident as people treat it?

Like licensed games are a whole thing. Goku's a really good example because Goku's been in more games, even more games just on Nintendo consoles than almost any character in Smash, a lot of which were successful. He's on the Famicom, he had 3 really successful (in Japan anyway, and as an import) Superfamicom games, Budokai tenkaichi 2 was a really big launch game for the Wii, he's got 3DS exclusives, he's on the Switch, he's in games published by Nintendo (Jump Super Stars) ect. ect.. Also if I recall correctly Dragon Ball as a game franchise is often Bandai Namco Game's highest selling franchise, beating out stuff like Pacman and Soul Calibur and competing with Tekken. Dragon Ball FighterZ was easily one of the most talked about games of the year. He is a huge name in videogames, he's just not from videogames, and how much and why that distinction matters is debatable. You even called Goku one of the greatest anime characters of all time, but he's didn't originate from an anime, that's just a licensed adaptation of the comics same as the games.

If Sakurai wants to keep the line where he draws it and only keep videogame OCs I'm fine with that, and if you ask me I think he will, but if he didn't and added like Goku or Mickey or Spiderman or some other licensed character with serous videogame credentials I'd 100% understand. I'd only draw the line at characters that're only famous outside of games. Like Superman is huge deal in general but as a game franchise Superman is a footnote unlike something like Dragonball.

Though again there'd be big licensing hurdles.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
They could make her Cel shaded like Mr. Game & Watch's original unflattened model.
upload_2018-4-28_22-55-32.png

It's important that Mr. Game & Watch being flat is unique. I think that's why Paper Mario has a better chance this time around, because he is flat, but he can be made unique with his ability to be a stack of papers.
capture 2.PNG

People complain about Paper Jam, but this could be the game that makes Sakurai take a closer look at Paper Mario. The ability to multiply oneself is truly a unique fight style.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
(Unless we did this hundreds of pages ago,) Let's play a game. The roster of playable Pokémon in Smash Bros. is completely reset with the exception of Pikachu, the series mascot. Your job is to put in a sole representative from each generation into Smash Bros. as a playable character. (Stuff like Plusle & Minun as a pairing is acceptable, but NO TRAINERS.) And please, no flame wars or anything over anyone else's picks.

I'll start:
Gen 1: Mewtwo
Gen 2: Scizor
Gen 3: Blaziken
Gen 4: Lucario
Gen 5: Zoroark
Gen 6: Hawlucha
Gen 7: Decidueye
Late to this but still:

Gen 1: Jigglypuff
Gen 2: Scizor
Gen 3: Breloom
Gen 4: Rhyperior
Gen 5: Hydreigon
Gen 6: Greninja
Gen 7: Primarina

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well, I believe that it is starting to happen! She was introduced to Mario Run and that game was made by the main Mario team (the development name is Redsomething like other Mario platformers), in order to introduce players to the Mario series and it's characters.
Problem with that is she haven't appeared in a main Mario game since her DEBUT which hurts her. If they were serious about putting Daisy in the spotlight, they should've done so awhile ago

If you could get only one thing non-character related for the next game, what would it be?

I'm going with changing the loop on songs from 2 mins. to whenever the song needs it. Some remixes are seriously stumped in SSB4 because of it.
A proper tournament mode with 64 players

If one wanted to, make it all CPU like they had that option in Melee. Boy did I enjoy that mode so much back then because Brawl ruined it for me

If I can't pick that, BOARD THE PLATFORMS FOR ****'S SAKE

(Unless we did this hundreds of pages ago,) Let's play a game. The roster of playable Pokémon in Smash Bros. is completely reset with the exception of Pikachu, the series mascot. Your job is to put in a sole representative from each generation into Smash Bros. as a playable character. (Stuff like Plusle & Minun as a pairing is acceptable, but NO TRAINERS.) And please, no flame wars or anything over anyone else's picks.
I'll start:
Gen 1: Gengar (I know, I'm biased as hell here lol)
Gen 2: Aipom (instead of Heracross or Scizor, Aipom can be quite unique and can be a good wildcard/wtf character)
Gen 3: Sceptile
Gen 5: Haxorus
Gen 7: Incineroar (dat wrestling moveset)
RE: Indies. Put 'em in. I dont care. I dont see a point for making up criteria just to exclude characters. Im not a fan of most of them by coincidence but it doesn't have to do with them being indie. Shovel Knight/Plague Knight would be great

Kanto: Poliwhirl Charizard
Johto: Politoad Scizor
Hoenn: Blaziken
Sinnoh: Lucario
Unova: Genesect
Kalos: Greninja
Alola: Inciniroar

If you really want to, swamp out Greninja for Hawlucha and Inciniroar for Decidueye. But it's a package deal. I need some wrestling somehow :p

:061:
BAH GAWD KING, HAWLUCHA IS SETTNG UP THE FLYING PRESS! HE CONNECTS!

1-2-3!

BAH GAWD ALMIGHTY, WE GOT A NEW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION, HAWLUCHA!!!

(being a wrestling fan here, I HAD to do this LOL)
So which retro characters you guys think is likely? Am torn between Balloon Fighter and Takamaru. Both have things going against them, as Balllon Fighter is represented by Villager's Up B, and Takamaru is an Assist Trophy.

There's also Mr. Hanafuda of course!
Takamaru, Mike Jones, Balloon Fighter, Excitebike, Bubbles, Prince Sable (is he?), Mach Rider, Tamagon just to name a few

...good lord Diddy, don't turn yourself into a Blue Diddy with Hanafuda -_-

Also guys...

I'm gonna say at least 3 characters minimum. Rather keep my expectations low for now until DLC are announced

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Question: If a veteran like Dr. Mario returned in Smash 4 despite being missing Brawl, would that character be considered for higher priority in Smash Switch for being a two-time veteran? Or is it a rather redundant question because Dr. Mario could still end up being cut due to being a clone? I would like answers mainly for my prediction roster.

Last edited:
Question: If a veteran like Dr. Mario returned in Smash 4 despite being missing Brawl, would that character be considered for higher priority in Smash Switch for being a two-time veteran? Or is it a rather redundant question because Dr. Mario could still end up being cut due to being a clone? I would like answers mainly for my prediction roster.
We have no idea since it's never happened or been interviewed about.

Maybe they would want to have characters already cut not have to go through that again. Maybe previously cut characters stay lower priority because they don't have as much veteran status making them bigger characters.

It would probably be, at best, case-by-case
:061:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Also guys...

Depends on how many new characters we get in general.

Though I'd probably guess like 3 at most, barring any DLC.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think he'll be considered somewhat low priority, but still Sakurai would two games' fans could potetially miss him. I doubt he'll be cut just because he is a model swap, he considered for Brawl and didn't made into a costume in Smash For.

So which retro characters you guys think is likely? Am torn between Balloon Fighter and Takamaru. Both have things going against them, as Balllon Fighter is represented by Villager's Up B, and Takamaru is an Assist Trophy.

Same with Balloon Fighter, but Takamaru's Assist Trophy role really doesn't mean anything. Little Mac became playable without leaving anyone in his place and Isaac was plain cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think Dr. Mario shouldn’t have come back
It’s one thing to have similar characters who are clones (dark pit, Lucina)
But the same character dressed as a Doctor as another slot is silly
I wish they would have the option to choose variants of characters, like in mortal kombat x
Choose Dr. Mario style for Mario instead of making him a separate character

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think Dr. Mario shouldn’t have come back
It’s one thing to have similar characters who are clones (dark pit, Lucina)
But the same character dressed as a Doctor as another slot is silly
I wish they would have the option to choose variants of characters, like in mortal kombat x
Choose Dr. Mario style for Mario instead of making him a separate character
I think it makes sense putting them into different slots is, makes it much easier for new/young players to find them. Also, then which characters should share a slot with others? Does Toon Link counts the same as Link? Should we put Samus' two forms into one place since they are different characters? It's simply more convenient, since one extra character slot doesn't invade anything.

Also, I doubt we'll see variant fighting styles in Smash. They are not exatly beginner friendly and since they are practically different characters looking same, it makes more sense to turn them into model swaps and make that character's fans happy. There was a reason custom moves in general were so awkward, Smash is built differently than other fighting games, even platforms makes a huge difference.

Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
I'm sorry, it won't happen again.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Being a clone doesn't make you more likely to get cut. There are plenty of clones who stay and plenty original characters who get cut.

As long as alternate costume characters are still a thing, it's going to be necessary that Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina are separate characters.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think it makes sense putting them into different slots is, makes it much easier for new/young players to find them. Also, then which characters should share a slot with others? Does Toon Link counts the same as Link? Should we put Samus' two forms into one place since they are different characters? It's simply more convenient, since one extra character slot doesn't invade anything.

Also, I doubt we'll see variant fighting styles in Smash. They are not exatly beginner friendly and since they are practically different characters looking same, it makes more sense to turn them into model swaps and make that character's fans happy. There was a reason custom moves in general were so awkward, Smash is built differently than other fighting games, even platforms makes a huge difference.

I'm sorry, it won't happen again.
Yes I would prefer everything you just mentioned
New or young players be danged I want my aesthetically pleasing character select screen :mad:

SomeGuy121

Smash Rookie
Gen 1: Charizard
Gen 2: Suicune
Gen 3: Gardevoir
Gen 5: Genesect
Gen 7: Mimikyu

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Does anyone have an explanation as to why the NES game 'Pro Wrestling' seems to be ignored by Nintendo?

Nintendo has made many references to a lot of their old NES games in one way or another, but as far as I can tell they have never referenced Pro Wrestling at all since it came out. They didn't even release it on the Virtual Console despite it originally selling over 1 million copies, and being fondly remembered. It's like Nintendo wants to forget it exists.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So it's basically a arbitrary definition that was thrown around here to explain something that really didn't need it's own category to explain. Got it, had a feeling it as something like that.
To be fair, the ones who started the trend were the old developers for Super Smash Bros. Crusade.

People just kind of copied that.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why the NES game 'Pro Wrestling' seems to be ignored by Nintendo?

Nintendo has made many references to a lot of their old NES games in one way or another, but as far as I can tell they have never referenced Pro Wrestling at all since it came out. They didn't even release it on the Virtual Console despite it originally selling over 1 million copies, and being fondly remembered. It's like Nintendo wants to forget it exists.
It could be possible that Nintendo may not fully own the rights.

Rights issues prevented Sukapon from appearing as an item in Melee (yes, an item), despite his game being an Nintendo IP.
Could be something similar with Pro Wrestling.

"Masato Masuda thought up the game system and was the sole programmer. Masuda was working for the Nintendo R&D3 development team. Shortly after the release of the game, Masuda left Nintendo and joined TRY, which later became Human. Masuda later worked on Human's popular Fire Pro Wrestling series. US copyright records list "Try Company, Ltd." as the author."

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Takamaru, Mike Jones, Balloon Fighter, Excitebike, Bubbles, Prince Sable (is he?), Mach Rider, Tamagon just to name a few

...good lord Diddy, don't turn yourself into a Blue Diddy with Hanafuda -_-
Sable is male, just that he follows the trend of older women voicing younger boys.

Like Bart Simpson and Tails.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
To be fair, the ones who started the trend were the old developers for Super Smash Bros. Crusade.

People just kind of copied that.

It could be possible that Nintendo may not fully own the rights.

Rights issues prevented Sukapon from appearing as an item in Melee (yes, an item), despite his game being an Nintendo IP.
Could be something similar with Pro Wrestling.

"Masato Masuda thought up the game system and was the sole programmer. Masuda was working for the Nintendo R&D3 development team. Shortly after the release of the game, Masuda left Nintendo and joined TRY, which later became Human. Masuda later worked on Human's popular Fire Pro Wrestling series. US copyright records list "Try Company, Ltd." as the author."
Right, I remember Sakurai couldn't add Sukapon as an item for "adult reasons". I guess Pro Wrestling must have the same issue.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Satebo & Parabo for a retro/ hardware/ wtf character.
...Because uhhh the outfit in Mario Odyssey... is that a reason? not really, but yeah.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Currently on page 922 and here with another 'catching up' post. Not planning on this one being as big as usual. Future Krysco here after typing this up, it was another long one so for the convenience of those who don't like reading books on Smashboards, I'll put it in a spoiler this time.
Simple topic on my mind here but it baffles me how many people clamor or expect a character from a game that isn't even out yet. Namely looking at a gen 8 Pokemon or someone from FE16. It's not completely out there seeing as how Roy and to a point Corrin were put into Smash before their games were released (Fates was only in Japan at the time iirc) and Greninja isn't far off. Not gonna date check but to my recollection, Greninja was decided before X&Y came out and they only came out shortly before Sm4sh.

But I still find it such an odd thing to want or expect. In the grand scheme of things it hasn't happened that often, neither series really needs the extra exposure and in the case of FE, we have no idea if the lord/important characters will have anything interesting to offer. Pokemon gets that easy since there's so many different ones that a unique one is always easy to pick. FE characters haven't strayed very far from the main lords when it comes to Smash with only Lucina and Robin. They're both still heavily involved in the plot and Lucina even manages to still be of the lord class. And I've mentioned this before but FE lords run the issue of damn near always being sword users which gets us more Chrom-like situations and even if a character is added and is unique, there's the backlash of too many FE characters/sword characters/anime swordsmen/whatever else. People don't ***** about too many Pokemon or too many people fighting with their punches, kicks, headbutts and so on because those means of combat simply allow for more variety than a sword does with rare exceptions like Shulk and his Monado.

And this is just a personal thing but I'm rather against the idea of adding characters purely for advertisement purposes. It makes sense and Nintendo has all the rights and freedom and so on to add whoever they want (that they own rights to obviously) for whatever purpose but up until 4, the main point of the series was it being a crossover of All Stars, first just Nintendo ones but then also third party ones. The term 'All Star' is subjective anyways and it's been mentioned before that there really isn't many left to add but in that case, I'd rather the addition of newcomers slow down until more worthy characters start popping up. 'Worthy' also being entirely subjective of course but then I have no influence in regards to the roster anyways outside of ballot-esque situations and even then, that's minuscule. Extra footnote to this point but I often look at this topic and think 'what if a 'Silver the Hedgehog' gets into Smash?' a character generally not liked from a despised game but what if that game is being advertised within another game? Like, imagine if Roy's game or FE Fates was as bad as Sonic 06 and now everytime you go back to Melee/Sm4sh, you see that piece of garbage from that awful game. Purely a hypothetical scenario sure but you completely avoid that situation by just...waiting. Like they did with Inklings or Olimar.

Also, speaking of Pokemon but I always find it odd how many times evolved forms are brought up. Your Decid-whatevers and I think your Lycanrocs? (I lost interest in Pokemon when gen 6 disappointed me) and technically your Zer-uhhh, your new electric legendary thing. Incineroar and Mimikyu too I guess but at least with Mimikyu and the Zer thing, they don't have earlier stages. Smash isn't like the Pokemon games, you don't need to be fully evolved to be viable and if Pikachu compared to Charizard is anything to go by, being an NFE is actually better. I understand that's not everything since Litten and Terracat can't exactly fight the same way Incineroar can and I honestly don't know if Rowlet and 2nd form grass owl can do what Decid can. I don't really care for any of the gen 7 Pokemon but if I was to root for any, it'd be Mimikyu if only because it gets us going back to smaller Pokemon which have been plentiful sure :4pikachu::4jigglypuff::squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee: but they don't stick around. Bit of an odd thing to nitpick I guess but I just feel that not every Pokemon inclusion needs to be a big punching bag.

Last thing and I'd argue the most important but I have a question for anyone who manages to read this far and cares to answer: when it comes to Smash, do you care more about the characters or the gameplay? I ask because the series has progressively added more characters but always had fewer options save for the transition from 64 to Melee. 64 had z cancelling and little random 'techs' like Pikachu being able to extend the distance on its up special, Puff being able to do a rising Pound or Falcon being able to use Falcon Punch as a recovery tool. Auto cancel projectiles started here too with Fox's lasers. Melee had l cancelling which was less effective than z cancelling (and honestly pointless too since the better option would be to just make the landing lag that of l cancelling naturally), wavedashing (which actually gave air dodges numerous purposes. Used in the air for evasion or used close to the ground for movement), light and heavy shields, chaingrabs, cancellable nonprojectile specials with the likes of Fox Illusion and Falco Phantasm, Falcon and Ganon's down specials renewing their double jumps, zairs which could grab any part of a wall. Brawl added Dacus and glide tossing but got rid of wavedashing, the renewing double jumps, simplified zairs and recoveries in general with autosnapping, light and heavy shielding oh and added some extra tech like bucket braking, PK Jump, Squirtle's weird pivot ****, Peach being able to cancel endlag on down special near edges, Sonic Spin Jump and...the ridiculous inifnite dimenssional cape. Then Sm4sh came and took away chaingrabs and auto cancel projectiles, simplified recoveries even further with ledge trumping (I would call this a mixed bag since it opens up mind games but recovery distances are too good, aerials are too bad and the ability to buffer a ledge option removes the majority of any risk associated with recovering) and even removed something as simple and unintrusive as slipping off ledges while in shield. Many of these were unintended and glitches sure but not all of it. The simplifying of recoveries, the complete removal of the Melee airdodge system, the removal of slipping off a ledge while in shield, the removal of chaingrabs, those were all changes to things that weren't inherently broken. The last one could be argued, sure but the simple answer is to just balance the throws right. Brawl had chaingrabs like Pit and ZSS being able to fthrow into regrab but only for a very short amount of time. That's fair imo compared to the crap ICies could do.

I ask this question of characters vs gameplay because for me, it's the latter. Sm4sh has more characters than Melee or Brawl but I feel like I can do more as a player in those games. I have more choices in any given moment be I on the ground, in the air, onstage, offstage, advantage, neutral or disadvantage and so does my opponent. Sm4sh is the worst entry in the series for me partly because despite all of the 'choices' I have when it comes to characters, they're all so limited in what they can do that I have a harder time having fun. I can see people looking at this and just thinking 'well that only matters for competitive play' but it doesn't have to. Something as simple as learning how to wavedash and how to make use of that option doesn't immediately mean you're able to enter a tournament and place well. If the option is actually explained ingame then you're not learning some super secret tech that is only discussed on forums like this but just another universal game mechanic.

I'm hyped for Smash 5 and I'm sure I'll have fun with it but I'm hoping it adds more universal and character specific options. Stuff like Bayo's 2 different side special in the air and her ability with it on the ground along with Corrin's neutral special being able to be altered in terms of when and what hitboxes come out and Ryu's light and heavy inputs as a whole are good examples imo. Compared to a character like say Falco who pretty much just has 'press button with or without stick input and this action happens. No variation allowed' with the exception of smash attack charges which are universal.
TL;DR I don't get the craze for a gen 8 Pokemon or an FE16 character and a simple question of what's more important in Smash to you: characters or gameplay?

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd personally take a full 3D model of any Rhythm Heaven character, as I think it's mainly just the artstyle that makes them look flat rather than actually being flat (much like with Wario in his WarioWare costume (and other WW characters), made by the same game team). But whatever route they go, I'll take it, Rhythm Heaven is in need of a character in Smash haha!

If any other character should be flat, it would be Paper Mario obviously.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can we switch to a new poll question since it's confirmed that this is in fact a new game. Something like how many newcomers you expect to be revealed at E3.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180427_2e.pdf
I think three would be a plausible number but only if we are going to get as many newcomers as the last game. Inklings, a popular character from one of the franchises that already has a playable character in the game and one new franchise newcomer (either second or third party) would be my guess.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Can we switch to a new poll question since it's confirmed that this is in fact a new game. Something like how many newcomers you expect to be revealed at E3.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180427_2e.pdf
Like others have suggested, three, possibly four, seems like a good number of newcomers to reveal at E3. I reckon we will get one big newcomer (K. Room, Ridley, someone of that magnitude), a third party newcomer (my bets on a Shovel Knight or Sora) and then one other character that, while still awesome, will not be as exciting as the other two.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Didn't know where to post this so I figured I'd post it here. There was an interesting question I asked myself just a little bit ago, "What languages does each character speak?"

Though this works well as a general Nintendo game question, it's interesting for Smash because if these characters ever met and tried to converse, how many of them would actually understand each other?

So, I thought I'd go by each series and do my best to determine which language each character/series speaks. (Note, this only considers the characters that actually do talk.)

:4mario: series speaks English. Every character is shown to speak English on many occasions, and this applies to all real-world regional versions of the games.

:4wario2:is heavily implied to speak English because it shares the same language as the Mario series.

:4dk: series characters speak animal, with occasional uses of English by several characters. (How the crap do they do that? Perhaps its more impressive that the Mario characters can UNDERSTAND animal?)

:4zelda: series has been confirmed to speak both modern and ancient variants of the fictional Hylian language.

:4yoshi: speaks Yoshi.

:4kirby: series is too hard to pin down. Could be a fictional language, but there's no indication either way.

:4pit: series most likely speaks a variant of Greek.

:4littlemac: speaks English. He's a boxer from New York, so it's no big surprise.

:4olimar: series speaks an unnamed fictional language, and has been demonstrated so.

:4ness: series most likely speaks English, as the series is known to be a large cultural reference to America in general. Both Ness and Lucas pronounce all of their PK abilities in English as well.

:4falcon: series probably has several different languages strewn about. However, Captain Douglas Jay Falcon ABSOLUTELY speaks English. HYES!

:4fox: series most likely speaks EBEBEBEBEBEB. Joking aside, Star Fox Adventures is only dubbed in English, therefore the language at that point is implied to be English. This isn't confirmed fact, but a high likelihood. Also, the terms and names used throughout the series are pronounced in English.

:4sonic: series most LIKELY speaks English. The Adventure series and Shadow the Hedgehog imply a US-styled country that would most likely speak English. Has also crossed over with Mario, whom speaks English. Even in the Japanese dubs, Sonic enjoys using English phrases.

:4megaman: series might also be English. His Japanese name is even pronounced in English (Rockman). His maker is Dr. Thomas Light. That's a very western name, implying a western language. (Also had a crossover comic series with Sonic, whom I also believe speaks English.)

:4cloud: likely speaks English, since a lot of English terminology is written all over FF7. Japanese plays aren't very likely to be named "Loveless." (If Kingdom Hearts were to be included in the language department, I'd have to write an essay about all the languages that have to be accounted for because of many cultures of the various Disney worlds used.)

:4wiifit: is hard to determine a language for. However, might be English due to "Wii Fit" being a rather English phrase. Cannot be certain towards any language, really.

:4samus: series likely speaks English, among other alien dialects. Fusion and Other M displayed the existence of characters with western names such as Adam Malkovich and Anthony Higgs. Also, Zero Suit Samus speaks English in all versions of the Smash Bros she's in.

:4villager: speaks Animalese. Fact.

:4pacman: speaks WAKAWAKAWAKAWAKA. Otherwise, literally any other language is possible.

:4bayonetta: speaks English, but also knows and occasionally speaks Japanese.

:4ryu: speaks Japanese, and most likely knows English. May potentially know a few other languages, but Japanese for certain.

:snake: has been confirmed to speak English, but knows six languages in total. Among these are probably Russian, French, Japanese, Yupik, and possibly Arabic.

:4pikachu: this is where it starts getting difficult. Pokemon make sounds. These sounds were interpreted as the names of each creature. Therefore each Pokemon only speaks their own name. However, :4mewtwo: and :4lucario: do in fact speak human languages in Smash. Therefore, I had to actually put significant thought into it. Either the Pokemon world has a different language for each region (the region's being based off of real-world regions with their own languages), or more likely the Pokemon world has one giant shared language that is known across all regions.
It's too difficult either way, especially since most Pokemon have their names changed depending on the real-world region of the version purchased.

:4marth: series is really confusing on their languages. In their crossovers, it's implied that they all speak the same tongue. This might be true over the entire series regardless of crossover. Fates implies the same language as Awakening, which is most likely the same language as what Marth spoke. However, Fates and Awakening both tie Ike into the same language as well. However, there is a largely Norse emphasis throughout the series. Some Greek and Hebrew here and there, but Norse has had a large part in many names of tomes, weapons, and such. Therefore, the most likely language might be Scandinavian, or any of its dialects.

:4shulk: series speaks... well, oh boy. Xenoblade Chronicles 1,2, & X are all implied to be connected in very spoiler-y ways. But since X's major focal point is New Los Angeles, I will defer to English for now. I'd rather not have to dive too far into this rabbit hole, otherwise I'll get sucked into the proverbial void.

And that, I think, covers all the known languages in Smash. Many of these characters speak English... which is odd for a bunch of Japanese created characters.

But if you have any corrections about this, please say so!

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
And that, I think, covers all the known languages in Smash. Many of these characters speak English... which is odd for a bunch of Japanese created characters.
Not really. Video games are generally supposed to take place in a fantasy setting. If you don't want to deal with ancient languages or made-up ones, it's easier to pick one who people knows as foreigner but not really familiar. For Japan and some other countries, it's English.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Didn't know where to post this so I figured I'd post it here. There was an interesting question I asked myself just a little bit ago, "What languages does each character speak?"

Though this works well as a general Nintendo game question, it's interesting for Smash because if these characters ever met and tried to converse, how many of them would actually understand each other?

So, I thought I'd go by each series and do my best to determine which language each character/series speaks. (Note, this only considers the characters that actually do talk.)

:4mario: series speaks English. Every character is shown to speak English on many occasions, and this applies to all real-world regional versions of the games.

:4wario2:is heavily implied to speak English because it shares the same language as the Mario series.

:4dk: series characters speak animal, with occasional uses of English by several characters. (How the crap do they do that? Perhaps its more impressive that the Mario characters can UNDERSTAND animal?)

:4zelda: series has been confirmed to speak both modern and ancient variants of the fictional Hylian language.

:4yoshi: speaks Yoshi.

:4kirby: series is too hard to pin down. Could be a fictional language, but there's no indication either way.

:4pit: series most likely speaks a variant of Greek.

:4littlemac: speaks English. He's a boxer from New York, so it's no big surprise.

:4olimar: series speaks an unnamed fictional language, and has been demonstrated so.

:4ness: series most likely speaks English, as the series is known to be a large cultural reference to America in general. Both Ness and Lucas pronounce all of their PK abilities in English as well.

:4falcon: series probably has several different languages strewn about. However, Captain Douglas Jay Falcon ABSOLUTELY speaks English. HYES!

:4fox: series most likely speaks EBEBEBEBEBEB. Joking aside, Star Fox Adventures is only dubbed in English, therefore the language at that point is implied to be English. This isn't confirmed fact, but a high likelihood. Also, the terms and names used throughout the series are pronounced in English.

:4sonic: series most LIKELY speaks English. The Adventure series and Shadow the Hedgehog imply a US-styled country that would most likely speak English. Has also crossed over with Mario, whom speaks English. Even in the Japanese dubs, Sonic enjoys using English phrases.

:4megaman: series might also be English. His Japanese name is even pronounced in English (Rockman). His maker is Dr. Thomas Light. That's a very western name, implying a western language. (Also had a crossover comic series with Sonic, whom I also believe speaks English.)

:4cloud: likely speaks English, since a lot of English terminology is written all over FF7. Japanese plays aren't very likely to be named "Loveless." (If Kingdom Hearts were to be included in the language department, I'd have to write an essay about all the languages that have to be accounted for because of many cultures of the various Disney worlds used.)

:4wiifit: is hard to determine a language for. However, might be English due to "Wii Fit" being a rather English phrase. Cannot be certain towards any language, really.

:4samus: series likely speaks English, among other alien dialects. Fusion and Other M displayed the existence of characters with western names such as Adam Malkovich and Anthony Higgs. Also, Zero Suit Samus speaks English in all versions of the Smash Bros she's in.

:4villager: speaks Animalese. Fact.

:4pacman: speaks WAKAWAKAWAKAWAKA. Otherwise, literally any other language is possible.

:4bayonetta: speaks English, but also knows and occasionally speaks Japanese.

:4ryu: speaks Japanese, and most likely knows English. May potentially know a few other languages, but Japanese for certain.

:snake: has been confirmed to speak English, but knows six languages in total. Among these are probably Russian, French, Japanese, Yupik, and possibly Arabic.

:4pikachu: this is where it starts getting difficult. Pokemon make sounds. These sounds were interpreted as the names of each creature. Therefore each Pokemon only speaks their own name. However, :4mewtwo: and :4lucario: do in fact speak human languages in Smash. Therefore, I had to actually put significant thought into it. Either the Pokemon world has a different language for each region (the region's being based off of real-world regions with their own languages), or more likely the Pokemon world has one giant shared language that is known across all regions.
It's too difficult either way, especially since most Pokemon have their names changed depending on the real-world region of the version purchased.

:4marth: series is really confusing on their languages. In their crossovers, it's implied that they all speak the same tongue. This might be true over the entire series regardless of crossover. Fates implies the same language as Awakening, which is most likely the same language as what Marth spoke. However, Fates and Awakening both tie Ike into the same language as well. However, there is a largely Norse emphasis throughout the series. Some Greek and Hebrew here and there, but Norse has had a large part in many names of tomes, weapons, and such. Therefore, the most likely language might be Scandinavian, or any of its dialects.

:4shulk: series speaks... well, oh boy. Xenoblade Chronicles 1,2, & X are all implied to be connected in very spoiler-y ways. But since X's major focal point is New Los Angeles, I will defer to English for now. I'd rather not have to dive too far into this rabbit hole, otherwise I'll get sucked into the proverbial void.

But if you have any corrections about this, please say so!
You forgot the most obvious one.

:4gaw: speaks in constant swears and slurs.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Megaman 8's stage select screen places Dr. Light's lab somewhere in the southern/midewesternish united states. A lot of people think it's supposed to be in Colorado.

Megaman himself is a robot though so he's probably fluent in at least every language programs like Siri are.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom