• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMario

Smash Master
How many newcomers were people expecting during the pre-SSB4 period?
I kinda lowballed expectations by a lot back in Smash 4. I was guessing at most 45 characters (Not counting transformations. So Pokemon Trainer, Zelda/Shiek, and Samus/ZSS counting as just one spot). Did not expect a little over 50 on the base roster, let alone DLC nearly bringing it up to 60

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I kinda lowballed expectations by a lot back in Smash 4. I was guessing at most 45 characters (Not counting transformations. So Pokemon Trainer, Zelda/Shiek, and Samus/ZSS counting as just one spot). Did not expect a little over 50 on the base roster, let alone DLC nearly bringing it up to 60
Yeah I remember predicting around 50, wasn't expecting the 6 cuts tho, I assumed snake would be but not the rest lol.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I was expecting 51 and only Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle cut. I was really sad seeing Lucas cut but I'm glad he was the chosen Brawl cut to return to the game.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I think if Nintendo plans to go through with their plan to support the switch for 7-10 years, this could be our only smash for a while
Ideally this game keeps getting supported well after launch, at minimum until 2020
New fighters, new stages, costumes, and new updates to keep the game fresh
They could even add DLC in conjunction with new game releases
E.g, release Sylux with Metroid prime 4, release new fire emblem protagonist with next fire emblem
I would be cool with this. Keeps the game fresh, and exciting. Also, it can help with not losing any characters to cuts.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Do you expect Link and Zelda will get a total move overhaul? Or just a bit of a revamp? I can see their specials changing to but I can't see a lot of their normals changing outside of just buffing them/adding properties to them (I'm hoping I'm wrong, I'd rather have more revamped characters that have gone pretty stale in my opinion).

If I remember correctly, I said roughly 15-18 newcomers, and I believe a lot of people had the same opinion. Of course, there are always outliers (some people had a 40 character roster, others had 70s-80s), but most people probably had anywhere to a 48-55 character roster.
Zelda needs to be changed from her specials to her normals. Her moveset isn’t good really. It doesn’t function well, and neither does her speed or agility in-game.

Link might get a few changes, but Zelda needs an overhaul.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
If Link or Zelda don’t get significantly changed i’ll Be disappointed
I was already disappointed they didn’t give Link skyward sword elements to his moveset in smash 4, not even changing his appearence
It’s long overdue

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Zelda needs to be changed from her specials to her normals. Her moveset isn’t good really. It doesn’t function well, and neither does her speed or agility in-game.

I agree with you completely. I'm praying Zelda gets the much needed overhaul. She's been so laughably pitiful for three games in a row now.

Good to see you again, by the way.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
If Link or Zelda don’t get significantly changed i’ll Be disappointed
I was already disappointed they didn’t give Link skyward sword elements to his moveset in smash 4, not even changing his appearence
It’s long overdue
I guess they didn't wanna have to redesign ganondorf and sheik, especially since BOTW was coming anyway, but then the delays happened lol

She can keep a couple moves if they want but they still need to be altered, and the rest can GO.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ok Link and Zelda get overhauled, but Ganondorf stays the same. How would people react to that?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's pretty obvious from Zelda's moveset that it was intentionally designed to be very polarizing to contrast from Shiek. She hits very hard, but is much slower. The idea was to transform back and forth to take advantage of their respective strengths. But because that's no longer a thing (which to be frank never worked to begin with), Zelda should be redesigned to act more like an independent character. It is entirely possible to do that without drastically changing her though, as again she can hurt surprisingly hard, but lacks the options to take advantage of those moves. If for example she had a way to set up traps like her incarnation in Project M can do via Din's Fire, that alone would greatly improve her because now she has options to manipulate her opponent.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
My take on the situation is to overhaul Zelda and implement Toon Zelda to preserve the original moveset (But buffed, Toon Zelda is smaller and faster).

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Going off expected newcomers, who are people's most expected (including past cut veterans)? Let's say 5 most expected (no bias, just who you think will be in the game). Mine:

Bandana Dee
Ice Climbers
Ray Man
Isabelle
A Gen 7 Pokemon (idk who)

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Here it goes.

Zelda has to be scarier than Rosalina without her star.

Otherwise both their characters are wrong.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It's pretty obvious from Zelda's moveset that it was intentionally designed to be very polarizing to contrast from Shiek. She hits very hard, but is much slower. The idea was to transform back and forth to take advantage of their respective strengths. But because that's no longer a thing (which to be frank never worked to begin with), Zelda should be redesigned to act more like an independent character. It is entirely possible to do that without drastically changing her though, as again she can hurt surprisingly hard, but lacks the options to take advantage of those moves. If for example she had a way to set up traps like her incarnation in Project M can do via Din's Fire, that alone would greatly improve her because now she has options to manipulate her opponent.
Yeah Sheik ruined Zelda's character to be honest. Sheik ended up being so much better than Zelda is practically every Smash iteration. Faster characters that can rack up damage and combos are better suited for this game, and the development team has never been able to make a magic character not suck honestly. The original idea to make them polar opposites is what made Sheik so good, and made Zelda, well, not so good.

RelaxAlax made a pretty good video about Sheik and Zelda, and how Zelda has been bad in the games because of the design of this duo. I'm pretty sure it's actually called "Sheik Ruined Zelda" lol

D

Deleted member

Going off expected newcomers, who are people's most expected? Let's say 5 most expected (no bias, just who you think will be in the game). Mine:

Bandana Dee
Ice Climbers
Ray Man
Isabelle
Ice Climbers
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Decidueye
Captain Toad

If ICs don't count throw in Isabelle. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but I think we get all 6 of them (or 7 if you count Nana) for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wouldn't get too excited over this. For all we know, this game can be like brawl
So an actually good game that just had balancing issues here and there?

Like, it's my least favorite in the series overall, but I still loved it overall. It had an amazing character list, and while it needed improvements, sure, it still had a lot to do while having a very robust Adventure Mode(it was really only All-Star and Classic that suffered among the main single player modes).

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
My ideal scenario for the triforce trio is overhaul their movesets, and have these two carry on the classic Link and Zelda movesets

As “classic Link” and “classic Zelda”

And while Ganondorf gets some changes to his moveset with magic and dual blades, this guy

Would use a trident and magic based moves

The legend of Zelda pre-ocarina of time has never been represented in smash and I want that to change

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Going off expected newcomers, who are people's most expected (including past cut veterans)? Let's say 5 most expected (no bias, just who you think will be in the game). Mine:

Bandana Dee
Ice Climbers
Ray Man
Isabelle
Captain Toad
Isabelle
Spring man (maybe dlc)
Dixie Kong
Elma or Rex

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Call me a total crack, but I'm expecting Nikki to appear as a playable character. A character purposely included to surprise people similar with Wii Fit Trainer. With a moveset that involves doodling objects out of thin air, as a nod to Swapnote and Swapdoodle.

Anyone else expect something similar?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
My 5 most expected characters:

Rex & Pyra
Takamaru
Gen 7 Pokemon
Ice Climbers
Rhythm Heaven Character

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Call me a total crack, but I'm expecting Nikki to appear as a playable character. A character purposely included to surprise people similar with Wii Fit Trainer. With a moveset that involves doodling objects out of thin air, as a nod to Swapnote and Swapdoodle.

I don’t expect her but in a similar vein I can see the arcade badge bunny being playable, at least an assist trophy

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I might be late to this.

How many newcomers we sweaty boys and girls thinking we will be getting?
I honestly only see 10 newcomers to be getting in, excluding veterans. Mainly for two reasons:

1. The roster is getting very large, which will be difficult to balance or even implement on its own.

2. There aren’t really any Nintendo characters left to add.

I know that people are going to say that we have already started reaching into the bottom of the barrel by Smash 4, but I believe that we NOW started reaching really deep into bottom of the barrel. The only newcomers that most will interest the casual audience or make the most sense are:

Inklings (Confirmed)
A New Xenoblade Character
ARMS Character
Gen 7 Pokemon
Any Popular Ballot Character

But thats really it. Most other characters that I have seen mentioned here are either obsure that the most people dont even know, or characters people wont care, want, or would even backlash against Nintendo for including them. IMO unlike Smash 4 which had a lot of characters I was hyped for the newcomers that were added in like Megaman, Pacman, Palutena, Greninja, and even WFT and Duck Hunt. This might be the Smash game with the most underwhelming newcomers aside from the five I mentioned above.

EDIT: This is just my opinion, so I just wanted to share my thoughts. Let me know your thoughts if you disagree.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Here it goes.

Zelda has to be scarier than Rosalina without her star.

Otherwise both their characters are wrong.
Wow! Zelda is so bad that even a handicapped character is better?

Would you think the same about SoPo against Zelda?

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I wouldn't get too excited over this. For all we know, this game can be like brawl
Aw, have some fun! Speculation makes the world go round.

I think they realized the proper "physics" of the game after Brawl's floaty and slow gameplay. And tripping. And character imbalance. And being that this game will probably have a lot of DLC (which also includes character balancing and game tweaking) only means good things.

I think there is more of a focus on character balance more than ever after Smash 4 and what they can do with DLC and update patches.

Last edited:

TheTrueHer0

Smash Rookie
I really enjoyed brawl but what happened to it was there were 2 INSANELY overpowered characters. I've always felt if brawl didn't have tripping and the top 2 characters it would have been great. Imagine after all this hype, there is one insanely overpowered character who completely ruins the competitive scene

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
everyone talking about the champions yet no one wants another wind waker character...

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I'd love Toon Ganondorf. Though regular Moblin Ganon would still be awesome.
Yeah either one would be cool but i’d give the edge to pig Ganon for his multitude of appearences, and just give current Ganondorf a moveset similar to toon Ganondorf. Dual blades are amazing

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I expect Arcade Rabbit from the Badge Arcade for this reason. I see lots of moveset potential, as well as being off the wall and representing the 3DS era

Related, here's a support thread I made for him: https://smashboards.com/threads/ope...-rabbit-for-super-smash-bros-5-thread.454281/

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
everyone talking about the champions yet no one wants another wind waker character...
I have no idea what you mean. I'd be glad for MOST *glares at tingle* any Zelda newcomer. I don't anticipate it since TP was wildly successful (for Zelda) and didn't get one. But I suppose they didn't know that when the Brawl roster was decided much like how they wouldn't have know that about Breath when this roster was decided, so maybe dlc can change that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom