• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The gameplay they showed doesn't confirm anything. Of course they're going to show a small highlight reel of the last invitational, what else are they gonna show?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Close to as guaranteed as possible we'll get information dumps/a direct before E3, surely?

kylexv

Smash Master
I'm thinking one of three possibilities leading up to E3:

1. There will be a Smash direct sometime in April/May showing the first gameplay footage and going in depth about a few new characters and new modes/mechanics.
2. Above, but it happens a few days before E3 like in 2015
3. The game is first showcased in the E3 direct, with the demo being available to con-goers immediately after. The invitational would have to be on the 12th then.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I mean, Sakurai seems to roll on his own all the time so I wouldn't be surprised if this means we're getting info way before E3, however I'm still thinking they will fully reveal the game at E3 right before the invitational thing.

Staarih

Smash Master
Close to as guaranteed as possible we'll get information dumps/a direct before E3, surely?
I guess, unless they want to save a Smash trailer for their showcase happening right before the invitational on the 12th of June (having Splatoon 2 tournament on the 11th in that case), but I'd imagine that would really call it close.

I think both ARMS and Splatoon 2 had their own Direct's last year before E3 (in, like, April & May?), and both held tournaments at said E3, so there's a chance for a similar scenario happening here with Smash.

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I’d say it’s more likely we get the direct towards the middle/end of May. I think they want to try and avoid doing a big direct earlier in May or in late April as it would coincide with other big news (big movies that will garner a lot of attention such as Infinity War.)

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
We will get the Smash name (and probably a Direct at that) soon, unless Nintendo wants to go with:

"It's time for the tournament! Welcome to the E3 invitational of SUPER SMAAASSSSHH BROTHHEERRRSSSS (working title)!"

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I was already expecting a Smash Direct by April or May, but now with the tournament news I'm 100 % sure we'll have a lot of info before E3

The Smash Direct seems very likely now

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I do not know if we can trust the information about the Smash Direct, I mean I know there is tournament news but we have not got a leak on the next Nintendo Direct. And even if it were leaked there is little chance that it might not be mentioned.

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
Either way, I'm pretty sure Bakugan is dead now so I really doubt the one on the right even ignoring how she wasn't a video game character.
A Bakugan reboot was announced a couple years ago, so I think putting Runo in would help promote the future Bakugan reboot, and even help SSB players learn about her and the series. Though she was absent from the 3rd season of the Bakugan anime, I think Runo is a great choice since it's a fan favorite among many Bakugan fans.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised all of you are so confident that a Smash Direct will be coming soon. Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right. I just feel Nintendo can be very unpredictable with these kinds of things.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I do not know if we can trust the information about the Smash Direct, I mean I know there is tournament news but we have not got a leak on the next Nintendo Direct. And even if it were leaked there is little chance that it might not be mentioned.
Directs tend to be leaked closer to the date.
Completely off-topic here, but how do you get those "SSB5" stamps for characters you want in?
There's a signature thread pinned in the forum. Check that out and then click your username at the top right and click Signature. Paste the image(s). Bingo Bango Bongo baby.
A Bakugan reboot was announced a couple years ago, so I think putting Runo in would help promote the future Bakugan reboot, and even help SSB players learn about her and the series. Though she was absent from the 3rd season of the Bakugan anime, I think Runo is a great choice since it's a fan favorite among many Bakugan fans.
Bakugon, Digimon, all we're missing now is YuGiOh and the quadfecta is complete.

And Chaotic, and Monsuno?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
But for real, I feel like Ice Climbers and Rosalina & Luma would be an ironic pairing given people commonly complained the latter replaced the former and was evidence that two models in 8 player smash could work.

It'd also be cool if Wolf and Jigglypuff make it in the story this time and are a pair as a nod to their absence last time
Indeed, so I don't think any one would argue that Rosaluma and Ice Climber will both return. Since I like both characters.

However even to this day I still think Bowser Jr+ Koopalings is still a bit of waste when you realized Mario series has the most characters... I use to dislike Duck Hunt in Smash as well but now he is one my fav.
Seems like that Smash 5 is going to be more of a sequal than a port..

It will interesting who will be invited in this tournment.

The question is....Since it is a tournament, will Reggie and Nintendo focused on the casuals ruleset or the competitive ruleset since the competitive Smash community is huge.
I wonder if items will be entered or removed in that tournament or something.
New characters will be very interesting...
I think it is a safe bet that the characters in the silhouette and the Inklings will be playable in the tournament.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I actually miss pic of the day, I wish Sakurai returned the practice because it was so nice receiving new information daily.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
It would be really cool if the winner of the invitational got to pick a character to be made for the new game, that’d be the hypest tournament ever. Obviously it’d have to be someone Nintendo owns and be discussed if it’s doable or what... and also obviously this will never happen but it’d be so cool! Magic the gathering used to let its winners make cards, within reason, and featured their face on the card. Maybe they could make the winner as one of the default Mii faces or something haha it’d just be cool if the prize was immortalized within the game since it isn’t out yet.

Ivander

Smash Legend
But I literally never said that though. I don't think Simon is very likely, but that wouldn't have been the reason I gave. And for what it's worth I think Simon would be an awesome addition.
So how come he said you mentioned that Simon's last appearance was 2008? Considering his release in Harmony of Despair was 2011, Mirror of Fate was in 2013 and than technically you have his appearance in Super Bomberman R in 2017. Last time I checked, that's a bit more than 2008(even if you don't count Bomberman).

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
You know, looking at all these fan made rosters, and the newcomer lists made by fake leakers, what catches my attention with them is how they just list the Inkling as the sole newcomer from Splatoon. Taking into account Splatoon's popularity (especially Japan's love for it), I could see Splatoon getting away with having two characters in Smash Switch. The precedent of a franchise debuting with more than 1 character already exist with Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and technically the Mii Fighters. As for who the second one could be? I could see either the Squid Sisters, or if time is not on their side, an Octoling that functions as an Inkling clone.

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
Well, all of the Castlevania characters are non-recurring, so Alucard, Dracula and Death are your best bets.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So how come he said you mentioned that Simon's last appearance was 2008? Considering his release in Harmony of Despair was 2011, Mirror of Fate was in 2013 and than technically you have his appearance in Super Bomberman R in 2017. Last time I checked, that's a bit more than 2008(even if you don't count Bomberman).
That's why I think he's confusing me for someone else, haha. I never said any of that. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Daily reminder that Impa is the best possible Zelda newcomer

Originality

Smash Journeyman

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It would be really cool if the winner of the invitational got to pick a character to be made for the new game, that’d be the hypest tournament ever. Obviously it’d have to be someone Nintendo owns and be discussed if it’s doable or what... and also obviously this will never happen but it’d be so cool! Magic the gathering used to let its winners make cards, within reason, and featured their face on the card. Maybe they could make the winner as one of the default Mii faces or something haha it’d just be cool if the prize was immortalized within the game since it isn’t out yet.
I'd hate this. There are so many fans of the game that I don't want the winner of an invitational tournament to hold that much sway.

Having the winner as a default Mii face is alright though.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The tournament alone should make this another winning year for Nintendo at E3. Heck, Pokémon and Metroid being discussed too would just blow Sony and Microsoft out of the water.

So how often do you expect characters to be revealed? Since this game is shaping up to release somewhere in the Holiday 2018 area, I'm expecting newcomers to be revealed about every month following E3, and E3 itself to reveal at least 2-4 newcomers.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Nintendo has almost a surefire victory at E3.

Unless Half Life 3 is announced. That's the only way they *might* lose.

The tournament alone should make this another winning year for Nintendo at E3. Heck, Pokémon and Metroid being discussed too would just blow Sony and Microsoft out of the water.

So how often do you expect characters to be revealed? Since this game is shaping up to release somewhere in the Holiday 2018 area, I'm expecting newcomers to be revealed about every month following E3, and E3 itself to reveal at least 2-4 newcomers.
To be honest, I'm not a fan of them announcing literally everything that will be in the game so early. Yes, the trailers were hype and all, but you basically knew everything about the game before it came out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
You know, looking at all these fan made rosters, and the newcomer lists made by fake leakers, what catches my attention with them is how they just list the Inkling as the sole newcomer from Splatoon. Taking into account Splatoon's popularity (especially Japan's love for it), I could see Splatoon getting away with having two characters in Smash Switch. The precedent of a franchise debuting with more than 1 character already exist with Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and technically the Mii Fighters. As for who the second one could be? I could see either the Squid Sisters, or if time is not on their side, an Octoling that functions as an Inkling clone.
To be fair, when the Mario/Pokemon series debuted in Smash they were already massive franchises with many characters to choose from. Fire Emblem a little less so, but still big, and Roy was a last minute clone.

Not going to deny Splatoon's popularity, but as a newer franchise with two games, I'd be really surprised if they got more than the boy/girl Inkling skins for a single character.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
This is 100% speculation and just based off a gut feeling, but this Smash Bros invitational makes me even more confident that this is going to be more like a port.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If it is a port my hype will dwindle so I hope not

I want new assets, yo

Originality

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I'm not a fan of them announcing literally everything that will be in the game so early. Yes, the trailers were hype and all, but you basically knew everything about the game before it came out.
I understand spoilers and such, but I feel like the best way to learn about new characters and stuff is from Nintendo themselves in their directs, not through loading up the game the first time. They'll introduce the characters in the way they see most fit.
Plus I would much rather know everything about the game before I buy it, especially if there isn't even a story to be spoiled.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
This is 100% speculation and just based off a gut feeling, but this Smash Bros invitational makes me even more confident that this is going to be more like a port.
Agreed. I think it’s pointless arguing port vs new though. Most likely it’s a “you’re both right” situation where they are calling it a new game because they are adding so much/changing a few things completely but that it basically plays with the smash4 engine and uses tons of assets from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom