• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So with the supposed massive datamine going around, do we know if theres a way we can use say google cache to see if and when this was edited.

https://imgur.com/E8AltM9

I mean I says February and it'd be 100% spot on if we can prove those titles have been there since Feb. If we see that its been edited as they were revealed we will know its BS.
Wario Land 5, Bravely Third, and SNES Remix make me wanna believe this list is real, but Paper Mario: Sticky Terror makes me conflicted.

Morbi

Scavenger
lol at the names of the pokemon games. they sound like fangames.

m8 you literally posted this 29 minutes ago
No, I did not. I stated that Bayonetta was a low tier character choice and that any arguments surrounding purism were more or less invalid once she won the ballot. Beyond that, I claimed that Goku is the real surprise that Sakurai could offer. Those are two independent thoughts and nowhere did I imply that Bayonetta was a reason for Goku to exist on the roster. The only real correlation is that they both defy the old conventions. That was literally all I was trying to establish, which I really should not have to as it should be given.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
So with the supposed massive datamine going around, do we know if theres a way we can use say google cache to see if and when this was edited.

https://imgur.com/E8AltM9

I mean I says February and it'd be 100% spot on if we can prove those titles have been there since Feb. If we see that its been edited as they were revealed we will know its BS.
I'd be 100% ok if this list was true. So many great games with only weird subtitles to complain about. Also VA-11 Hall-A is one of my favorite games ever I'd love to give them more money.

Burruni

Smash Hero
That leak is fake as all get out.
1) Imgur galleries can be edited after being posted, ergo this can and most likely has been edited on the names list once games got announced and then someone shared it around once they had enough things right to seem credible.
2) Something on that list is sommething along the lines of "Punch Out!! Meets Mad World in Pato Box" as a title.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/punch-out_meets_madworld_in_pato_box_for_nintendo_switch
It's literally the title of a Nintendo Life article covering a kickstarter game that's being ported to Switch, which is absolutely shouldn't be if those strings of data somehow directly linked to an in-house list of upcoming Titles.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Hehe

Maybe King Boo will stand a ghost of a chance as well. Perhaps even Sans could warp his way in, what with being a spooky scary skeleton.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Ah yes, I've been condemned to the bad place of page 666
IMG_20180321_191431.jpg
Seeing this and knowing it's fake kills me.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
That leak is fake as all get out.
1) Imgur galleries can be edited after being posted, ergo this can and most likely has been edited on the names list once games got announced and then someone shared it around once they had enough things right to seem credible.
2) Something on that list is sommething along the lines of "Punch Out!! Meets Mad World in Pato Box" as a title.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/punch-out_meets_madworld_in_pato_box_for_nintendo_switch
It's literally the title of a Nintendo Life article covering a kickstarter game that's being ported to Switch, which is absolutely shouldn't be if those strings of data somehow directly linked to an in-house list of upcoming Titles.
Ya just about to post this. Looking into it theres no way this isn't BS.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
No, I did not. I stated that Bayonetta was a low tier character choice and that any arguments surrounding purism were more or less invalid once she won the ballot. Beyond that, I claimed that Goku is the real surprise that Sakurai could offer. Those are two independent thoughts and nowhere did I imply that Bayonetta was a reason for Goku to exist on the roster. The only real correlation is that they both defy the old conventions. That was literally all I was trying to establish, which I really should not have to as it should be given.
I love Dragon Ball Z, but why do people specifically want Goku in Smash?

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Bayonetta is the only dlc I didn’t buy for Smash, so that was always an option :p

I don’t think things are as wide open and “rules out the door” as people are making it seem.

Also, there are plenty of Nintendo characters left that could provide sweet move sets, so I don’t think we need the Third-Party crutch just yet. Keep them as a bonus of kinds, maybe even leave them as DLC for the most part?

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Perhaps Doom Guy was much more likely than I gave him credit for.
Better than Bayonetta. I understand that the hate for Bayonetta in Smash some may consider "childish" but if they were gonna add in a third party character like her, they could've at least brought back Wolf from Brawl.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Better than Bayonetta. I understand that the hate for Bayonetta in Smash some may consider "childish" but if they were gonna add in a third party character like her, they could've at least brought back Wolf from Brawl.
Legitimately, Wolf not coming back is the biggest off-putting thing about the DLC. You have 7 DLC characters without him.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
A shulk in my scene just said if Fossil Fighter is added he will eat a shoe

Oh boi I cant wait for him to eat that shoe (also page 666)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
(number of the beast hype)

Battle Royale would be an ok title for a new smash game. Nothing spectacular.

I don't really believe that datamine though.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I don't believe that datamine because of the Ace Attorney title and Football Manager being there. The FM series is notoriously a game that requires a lot of processing power, hence it isn't available on any home console.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Regarding the Zelda champions and Smash, I think I know what role they should have.

Examples in spoiler :)

Zelda: Um, Revali?
Revali: Don't Say it
Zelda: You and Falco, you seem to look a lot a like.
Revali: I told you NOT to say it
Mipha: The similarities are remarkable though
Daruk: Maybe he's a descendant of yours?
Revali: No bird who needs to rely on a machine to fly is no family of mine
Urbosa: Times change Revali, perhaps in Falco's time birds have no need to fly and have since forgotten how to do so without help
Zelda: Besides, I hear he's among the best at what he does, you should be proud to have him as family
Daruk: Yeah! He even has your attitude problem hehe
Revali: I'll pretend I didn't hear that.

Zelda: *gasp* I don't believe it! How can he be here?
Daruk: I don't get it? I thought you and Link defeated him!
Revali: I think you mean WE all defeated him, I won't have my role in this understated
Urbosa: And to take the form of the Gerudo again, has he tainted our name enough?
Mipha: Why is he in this form though? Seems like a step back
Urbosa: This is his original form, known as Ganondorf, it was how he was born.
Zelda: I can't do this! I need Link! I have to go...
Urbosa: Calm yourself, you are more than capable of defeating him yourself
Zelda: but!
Urbosa: Listen my little bird, you have more strength than you realize, you held him off for 100 years, you can take him in this weakened form. And you have us, we'll always be here to help and support
Mipha and Daruk: Yeah!
Zelda: Thank you, all of you, I'll do my best

Revali: I feel like I've seen this thing before in a dream once
Zelda: it does look a bit like Kirby, who's from Dream land. Maybe you're confusing the two.
Revali: maybe.
Daruk: I think this things called a Jigglypuff, you know, one of those Pokemon, things
Mipha: I've heard of those, I hear they're lovely singers
Urbosa: I hear you're not so bad yourself Mipha
Daruk: Really? Hey Mipha, why don't sing us a song!
Mipha: me, What, Right now, Oh, I couldn't, what if Link was, oh no, it's out of the question
Zelda: relax, Mipha, you don't have to do anything you don't want to.
Daruk: besides, if you're anything like Jigglypuff, you'd put us all to sleep and leave Zelda defenseless
Mipha: That would be awful
Revali: Now I remember where I saw that thing, it was right before going to sleep, not while I WAS sleeping

Revali: Oh great, ANOTHER Link.
Zelda: I heard that this young hero lived in a land covered in a great sea
Mipha: It sounds beautiful, I would have liked to visit there one day.
Revali: Oh really? Because I heard Zora's were extinct in his world
Mipha: *horrid gasp*
Daruk: yeah? Well I heard they evolved in into the Rito
Mipha: Oh that's even worse
Revali at the same time: don't be ridicul... What did you just say Mipha?
Mipha: nothing
Revali: Why you...
Urbosa: Quit trying to pick a fight Revali, you'll just embarrass yourself. What I want to know though, is why does he look so..... Odd?
Zelda: It could relate to his nickname, Toon Link, which he apparently earned because he looked like a cartoon, maybe he has a some cartoon ancestry.
Daruk: What's a cartoon?
Zelda: I..... Honestly have no idea

Thoughts?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
(number of the beast hype)

Battle Royale would be an ok title for a new smash game. Nothing spectacular.

I don't really believe that datamine though.
The only problem I see with using the Royale or Battle Royale subtitle is that it could draw connections to the Playstation Allstars: Battle Royale game, which Nintendo probably would not want to do.

In regards to the believability of the "datamine," well, it certainly comes across as a very comprehensive list, which seems kinda unlikely. The subtitles for pretty much all of the games sound pretty iffy, plus a game that is that far away probably would not have a set title yet either, there would be worshipping, focus groups and then it may change based on the finished product. The largest sticking point for me, aside from the NintendoLife article link someone mentioned, is the subtitles for the four Pokémon games. The new entries sound way too harsh for a Pokémon game, and immediately draw to mind Uranium, which people have mentioned.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Another thing to note about that leak. Edit: Which is supposed to be a listing for games to release within the next 2 years, the data coming in February.
Shovel Knight isn't even done with its dlc, and Yacht Club Games have gone to state their next project will not be Shovel Knight related.
But Shovel Knight 2 is on the list.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Regarding the Zelda champions and Smash, I think I know what role they should have.

Examples in spoiler :)

Zelda: Um, Revali?
Revali: Don't Say it
Zelda: You and Falco, you seem to look a lot a like.
Revali: I told you NOT to say it
Mipha: The similarities are remarkable though
Daruk: Maybe he's a descendant of yours?
Revali: No bird who needs to rely on a machine to fly is no family of mine
Urbosa: Times change Revali, perhaps in Falco's time birds have no need to fly and have since forgotten how to do so without help
Zelda: Besides, I hear he's among the best at what he does, you should be proud to have him as family
Daruk: Yeah! He even has your attitude problem hehe
Revali: I'll pretend I didn't hear that.

Zelda: *gasp* I don't believe it! How can he be here?
Daruk: I don't get it? I thought you and Link defeated him!
Revali: I think you mean WE all defeated him, I won't have my role in this understated
Urbosa: And to take the form of the Gerudo again, has he tainted our name enough?
Mipha: Why is he in this form though? Seems like a step back
Urbosa: This is his original form, known as Ganondorf, it was how he was born.
Zelda: I can't do this! I need Link! I have to go...
Urbosa: Calm yourself, you are more than capable of defeating him yourself
Zelda: but!
Urbosa: Listen my little bird, you have more strength than you realize, you held him off for 100 years, you can take him in this weakened form. And you have us, we'll always be here to help and support
Mipha and Daruk: Yeah!
Zelda: Thank you, all of you, I'll do my best

Revali: I feel like I've seen this thing before in a dream once
Zelda: it does look a bit like Kirby, who's from Dream land. Maybe you're confusing the two.
Revali: maybe.
Daruk: I think this things called a Jigglypuff, you know, one of those Pokemon, things
Mipha: I've heard of those, I hear they're lovely singers
Urbosa: I hear you're not so bad yourself Mipha
Daruk: Really? Hey Mipha, why don't sing us a song!
Mipha: me, What, Right now, Oh, I couldn't, what if Link was, oh no, it's out of the question
Zelda: relax, Mipha, you don't have to do anything you don't want to.
Daruk: besides, if you're anything like Jigglypuff, you'd put us all to sleep and leave Zelda defenseless
Mipha: That would be awful
Revali: Now I remember where I saw that thing, it was right before going to sleep, not while I WAS sleeping

Revali: Oh great, ANOTHER Link.
Zelda: I heard that this young hero lived in a land covered in a great sea
Mipha: It sounds beautiful, I would have liked to visit there one day.
Revali: Oh really? Because I heard Zora's were extinct in his world
Mipha: *horrid gasp*
Daruk: yeah? Well I heard they evolved in into the Rito
Mipha: Oh that's even worse
Revali at the same time: don't be ridicul... What did you just say Mipha?
Mipha: nothing
Revali: Why you...
Urbosa: Quit trying to pick a fight Revali, you'll just embarrass yourself. What I want to know though, is why does he look so..... Odd?
Zelda: It could relate to his nickname, Toon Link, which he apparently earned because he looked like a cartoon, maybe he has a some cartoon ancestry.
Daruk: What's a cartoon?
Zelda: I..... Honestly have no idea

Thoughts?
That would actually be a really cool and unique way to incorporate the Champions into this Smash game. I like the way you portrayed their characters. It will be interesting to see who does the codex/guidance for this game, be it the Champions, Callie/Marie/Pearl/Marina or someone else. They certainly add a lot of character to the game.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, it's a little late to push for their inclusion seeing as the game is being released this year, but yeah. Cloud was added just because Sakurai thought a Final Fantasy character was appropriate and he was the most appropriate icon of the series. After Mega Man, Pac-Man, Street Fighter, and Final Fantasy, if we're talking about video game series, Bomberman and Castlevania are where I see Super Smash Bros going towards next.

It's funny, because most people like @Opposum were telling my Simon Belmont is unlikely because his last appearance was in 2008.

And yet everyone wants King K. Rool who hasn't had an appearance in a game since 2008.
But I literally never said that though. I don't think Simon is very likely, but that wouldn't have been the reason I gave. And for what it's worth I think Simon would be an awesome addition.

Also you spelled my username incorrectly. :p

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Maybe the situation with Wolf was as simple as he got unlucky and would have been included if Sakurai opted to include four veterans in the DLC lineup as opposed to three?

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t mind having Wolf back, although I can’t say I miss him per se. I just hope Mewtwo can make the main roster this time.

Honestly, after revisiting the SSE story a bit this week, I really just want a sequel to that. Just give me multiplayer and SSE2, and I’d be hoppy with the game modes overall.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
It's just strange that Lucas and Roy came back before him. I guess FE is more understandable because it's relevant but, Lucas is quite literally from a franchise that ended many years ago. Sure, he was popular, but as big or as relevant as Wolf was/is? I don't get it.

The outcry when he was cut was bad. He didn't even get an outfit last I heard nor a faithful alt costume, just vaguely his color scheme on Fox. Even now, the outcry and demand is STILL there, even after the span of a few years. If Sakurai doesn't add him in this game, it's just clear bias to me since it's not like Wolf would be hard to implement should he remain a semi-clone.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think Roy was brought back because he had been asked for since Brawl. And then maybe he chose Lucas over Wolf because Star Fox already had two mostly unique characters and Mother only had Ness...? I dunno the full logic, just taking a guess.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I still find these sorts of comments hilariously ironic because people were screaming "Sakurai bias" because we had three Star Fox characters in Brawl. My, how the tables turn.
I'm not one who claimed such though, so it's not really a relevant point in my eyes.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Went to a tourney tonight and was told FF has 0 chance then said person talked about how sans is an amazing choice who is getting in for sure.

Smashers are strange.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I get the feeling we will end up getting an "Indie" rep in one form or another for this installment just because there's so many candidates that come to mind when thinking about the subject (Shovel Knight, Shantae, Minecraft Steve, Undertale characters, Binding of Isaac/super meat boy, quote, etc.) I can't think of any that would be super famous or likely aside from Shovel Knight and Steve though.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That would actually be a really cool and unique way to incorporate the Champions into this Smash game. I like the way you portrayed their characters. It will be interesting to see who does the codex/guidance for this game, be it the Champions, Callie/Marie/Pearl/Marina or someone else. They certainly add a lot of character to the game.
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I'm still not sure what the people who request Sans think would happen with his moveset

Staying true to the character, he'd be hilariously OP but if you land one hit, he'd be instantly KO'd.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I'm still not sure what the people who request Sans think would happen with his moveset

Staying true to the character, he'd be hilariously OP but if you land one hit, he'd be instantly KO'd.
I would actually enjoy seeing a character like this in a more toned down fashion, perhaps Shedninja? (Although I know it would never happen... Even ditto would be a more likely pokemon rep).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
My stance on Goku is this; he could be a fun addition. However, his status as a fourth party character make it so much more legal hoops need to be jumped through than the average character that it isn't even worth it in the grand scheme of things, and the fact Dragon Ball games are apparently on Nintendo systems doesn't matter at all; let's not forget how James Bond was planned for Melee because of GoldenEye 007 on the N64, but Sakurai opted against it because he couldn't get the rights.

If you want Goku, go play Super Smash Flash 2. He's even one of the better characters in the game in terms of competitive play I hear. He's not coming to actual Smash.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
But in a game like this, you HAVE to have a means of attacking the character for fairness sake. I jist aee lots of balancing issues with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom