• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
I get the feeling we will end up getting an "Indie" rep in one form or another for this installment just because there's so many candidates that come to mind when thinking about the subject (Shovel Knight, Shantae, Minecraft Steve, Undertale characters, Binding of Isaac/super meat boy, quote, etc.) I can't think of any that would be super famous or likely aside from Shovel Knight and Steve though.
if we do get an indie character i would prefer shovel knight.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So do you think we will get an entire series 2 of new Smash amiibo to reflect every single characters new poses? Or just new fighter amiibos and possibly a few additional ones like BOTW Link and Zelda, and perhaps female villager, male fit trainer, female Robin, Alph and Koopalings?

The Smash amiibo series is branded as just "Super Smash Bros" with no for Wii U or 3DS on the branding of it, so I think they did this in mind future titles. For example, the Celica and Alm amiibos are branded the same as the Chrom amiibo. Oddly enough with Zelda has 3 amiibo series (Legend of Zelda, 30th Aniv, Breath of the wild) each has the same stand. Same goes for the regular Mario series and Odyssey series.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t mind having Wolf back, although I can’t say I miss him per se. I just hope Mewtwo can make the main roster this time.

Honestly, after revisiting the SSE story a bit this week, I really just want a sequel to that. Just give me multiplayer and SSE2, and I’d be hoppy with the game modes overall.
Insert "Marvel says Infinity War is the biggest crossover meme here."

A SSE2 would be the one thing that is pretty much a necessity for this Smash game I think, especially if they are working off of the Sm4sh engine as some people believe. It is just so much fun to play as all these iconic Nintendo characters within the context of a story that has them fighting some hyperbolic anime villain that is trying to destroy the world. It also allows us to see the relationships and interactions between characters that we would never see otherwise, like Ness being strong and inspiring Lucas and Samus with Pikachu (low-key my favourite).

We gotta see the Wii Fit / Wario team-up in this game :laugh:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Nah man. I'm all about that Duck Hunt and Bowser duo.

But for real, I feel like Ice Climbers and Rosalina & Luma would be an ironic pairing given people commonly complained the latter replaced the former and was evidence that two models in 8 player smash could work.

It'd also be cool if Wolf and Jigglypuff make it in the story this time and are a pair as a nod to their absence last time

Danpal65

Smash Lord
It would actually be cool if they somehow made a SSE2 in this game as a sequel to what occurred in Brawl. Not quite sure how it could work, but there could be some sort of call back or R.O.B could be found in the game with one of the bombs undetonated, just something to link it together to create this idea of a connected Smashverse, if you will.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Insert "Marvel says Infinity War is the biggest crossover meme here."

A SSE2 would be the one thing that is pretty much a necessity for this Smash game I think, especially if they are working off of the Sm4sh engine as some people believe. It is just so much fun to play as all these iconic Nintendo characters within the context of a story that has them fighting some hyperbolic anime villain that is trying to destroy the world. It also allows us to see the relationships and interactions between characters that we would never see otherwise, like Ness being strong and inspiring Lucas and Samus with Pikachu (low-key my favourite).

We gotta see the Wii Fit / Wario team-up in this game :laugh:
Lots of great team-ups. I think the one that made me laugh the most was Captain Falcon/Olimar. A brief partnership, but polar opposites in the best way :p

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Man, y'all are drama queens. 6 third parties in a 58 character roster and now apparently that means that Goku will somehow get in the game. Seriously, reading third party discussions in Smashboards is painful. Mostly just whinging about how Bayonetta and Cloud "ruined" the game despite being some of the hypest reveals in Smash history. No wonder this place was a saltmine after Bayo's reveal.
naw son the salt was over corrin's reveal

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If we're really staying true to character with Sans, he definitely wouldn't show up as a fighter. Do you know how much work that is? Sans is the lazybones, so getting into a fight like that would be something he'd actively try to avoid. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If we're really staying true to character with Sans, he definitely wouldn't show up as a fighter. Do you know how much work that is? Sans is the lazybones, so getting into a fight like that would be something he'd actively try to avoid. :p
Yep, we all know that there's one Skeleton with the skills, charm and not-laziness to make it into Smash Bros.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
That moment when you realize Ness, Luigi, and Dedede play some of the bigger roles in saving the world in SSE.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So do you think we will get an entire series 2 of new Smash amiibo to reflect every single characters new poses? Or just new fighter amiibos and possibly a few additional ones like BOTW Link and Zelda, and perhaps female villager, male fit trainer, female Robin, Alph and Koopalings?

The Smash amiibo series is branded as just "Super Smash Bros" with no for Wii U or 3DS on the branding of it, so I think they did this in mind future titles. For example, the Celica and Alm amiibos are branded the same as the Chrom amiibo. Oddly enough with Zelda has 3 amiibo series (Legend of Zelda, 30th Aniv, Breath of the wild) each has the same stand. Same goes for the regular Mario series and Odyssey series.
my wallet hopes they dont. i have doubles of all the smash ones and would really rather just have them release the newcomers under the same line, however the smash logo on the amiibos is the fire logo from wiiu/3ds and not the one used in the inkling trailer so they could potentially do a new line with the new logo. its essentially the new game vs port argument here.

its tough to say, particularly smash amiibo sold really well BUT nintendo has seemed to cut back on amiibo altogether recently and most stores i go to have extremely limited supplies of amiibo/skylanders etc... it seems to be a dieing fad sadly, disney infinity i believe are discontinued now and skylanders have been much slower to release anything than it was a few years ago.

the only way ive gotten new amiibos is online and preordering and even then its been very few amiibos, though maybe that means they are ramping up production for a new smash line and so its been a quiet year. i kind of doubt this though since you need to keep hype alive and cant let the stores get as barren as they are (its legit jut a few repeat animal crossing figures in any given target/walmart etc...). toys r us is also closing which says something about how well physical toys in general are doing, though nintendo seems to base everything it does on the japanese market which toys are doing fine so who knows.

I love amiibos but i really dont want to have to hunt down 60+more again after how difficult that was last time with exclusives and everything. hopeing for best case scenario they just do the newcomers but i feel thats the least likely, either it will be all of the characters with new poses or whatever (botw link) or it will be that amiibo are discontinued soon. we'll see...

Danpal65

Smash Lord
my wallet hopes they dont. i have doubles of all the smash ones and would really rather just have them release the newcomers under the same line, however the smash logo on the amiibos is the fire logo from wiiu/3ds and not the one used in the inkling trailer so they could potentially do a new line with the new logo. its essentially the new game vs port argument here.

its tough to say, particularly smash amiibo sold really well BUT nintendo has seemed to cut back on amiibo altogether recently and most stores i go to have extremely limited supplies of amiibo/skylanders etc... it seems to be a dieing fad sadly, disney infinity i believe are discontinued now and skylanders have been much slower to release anything than it was a few years ago.

the only way ive gotten new amiibos is online and preordering and even then its been very few amiibos, though maybe that means they are ramping up production for a new smash line and so its been a quiet year. i kind of doubt this though since you need to keep hype alive and cant let the stores get as barren as they are (its legit jut a few repeat animal crossing figures in any given target/walmart etc...). toys r us is also closing which says something about how well physical toys in general are doing, though nintendo seems to base everything it does on the japanese market which toys are doing fine so who knows.

I love amiibos but i really dont want to have to hunt down 60+more again after how difficult that was last time with exclusives and everything. hopeing for best case scenario they just do the newcomers but i feel thats the least likely, either it will be all of the characters with new poses or whatever (botw link) or it will be that amiibo are discontinued soon. we'll see...
Honestly I would surprised if we did not get a new line of Smash amiibo, they just make too much money for Nintendo. I think this time they may expect people to buy less as they have the original series, but I'm sure people would at least buy their mains. Just make sure they have the same bases and it should be good.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A whole new line of 60+ Smash amiibo is too risky. I think it's better if Nintendo just sticks to newcomers (AKA the characters who are most likely to not have their own amiibo yet). Creating ANOTHER version of every Smash character could backfire pretty quickly and turn into a situation reminiscent of the abundance of Animal Crossing amiibo.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So with the supposed massive datamine going around, do we know if theres a way we can use say google cache to see if and when this was edited.

https://imgur.com/E8AltM9

I mean I says February and it'd be 100% spot on if we can prove those titles have been there since Feb. If we see that its been edited as they were revealed we will know its BS.
Simpsons: Hit and Run HD? We can only dream...

Danpal65

Smash Lord
A whole new line of 60+ Smash amiibo is too risky. I think it's better if Nintendo just sticks to newcomers (AKA the characters who are most likely to not have their own amiibo yet). Creating ANOTHER version of every Smash character could backfire pretty quickly and turn into a situation reminiscent of the abundance of Animal Crossing amiibo.
Thing is though, there will definitely be a Smash amiibo for BotW Link, so if he is getting one then there is not much stopping them from doing updated ones for the other veterans.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Thing is though, there will definitely be a Smash amiibo for BotW Link, so if he is getting one then there is not much stopping them from doing updated ones for the other veterans.
A Smash amiibo for BotW Link is far from guaranteed, but even if it was, what other characters would have an updated design so major that it would require a brand new amiibo? Aside from the Zelda characters, not many.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
A Smash amiibo for BotW Link is far from guaranteed, but even if it was, what other characters would have an updated design so major that it would require a brand new amiibo? Aside from the Zelda characters, not many.
I was not neccessarily thinking different designs, more so that the characters would have different poses. There is also the possibility that the art style of the game may also change.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Ohhh I want Subspace 2 so bad. I know this is hardly a ground breaking take but I recently rewatched the cutscenes for subspace and they continue to be beyond perfect in my opinion. Now that we've got villager, little mac, rosalina, etc. from smash 4 plus the inklings the crossover cutscene potential is through the roof. A sequel sounds cool but that kind of seems to imply all the characters would know each other at the beginning of the story and seeing these characters meet for the first time was one of the really cool parts about SE and a part that I don't think I'd like to see gone. You know what! Maybe I don't know what I want! Is that a crime!

Oh but add in non-mario enemies like they did in smash run okay thank you bye.

D

Deleted member

I hope everyone asking for Subspace 2 realises what kind of hell that would mean for development. As cool as it was, it completely messed up with Brawl's development and is the reason it had so many delays and character cuts.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

So we might a big information drop a heck of a lot sooner than we initially guessed.

As if anyone actually doubted E3 would have anything substantial .

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

So we might a big information drop a heck of a lot sooner than we initially guessed.

I just saw this. I watched the trailer with so much interest.

I wonder if we'll see footage prior to E3 then? It's hard to believe our first gameplay trailer will be E3 then the very next day the Invitational...

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
My guess would be the initial starting roster/obvious picks will have been shown off in game by that point, with the Direct this year having the usual bombshell reveals.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Damn, this got 200 pages in almost 2 weeks...

Anyways, my predictions are:
Returning characters (Usually they are those characters that were cut):
Ice Climbers (The character was cut out due to hardware limitations of 3DS, but since the creator is working on a game for one console (Switch) instead of two (like SSB4), there is very high chances of them returning)
Snake (There has been Metal Gear Solid 5, and Snake is still the protagonist of that game. There is also a spinoff to continue the adventures after events of the latest entry. So there is high chances of him returning, yay)
Pichu (It was the only character to be in Super Smash Bros Melee. Let's say he was an alternate character to Pikachu and we quite liked him. Too bad he was cut out. Even if it appears as non playable character or just as cameo, I just want to see him back in SSB5 with a role instead of being only a trophy)
Bayonetta (There is the third entry in works, this time it's exclusive to Nintendo Switch, so goodbye to PS fans. She will be in Smash, I'm sure)
Any returning characters I missed, please tell me.

New characters:
Shovel Knight (That indie character failed to make an appearance in the last Nintendo Direct for SSB4. It fell behind to Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin, so there is a chance he might make it to SSB5)
Crash Bandicoot (The remake of the first 3 games is launching on Nintendo Switch, so he might make it)
ARMS character (What are your preferences?)
Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
Helper Waadle Dee (Kirby)
Daisy (I recall Memoryman3 hoping that she will be in the game as playable character and not just some alternate costume for Peach. Since Rosalina was included in SSB4, there is a chance she might be in the game. There is a rumor that Sakurai is planning to create her as character, but I do not know if it's credible)

Characters unlikely to return:
Goku (I have seen peoples on Resetera commenting about him and cheering for him to be in game. I do not understand why do fans want him to be in the game, I have not cared about Dragon Ball)
Undertale (I don't get why would peoples ask for a Undertale character to be in the game. It will have a Switch release, yes, but aside from that, I do not think that game have had any great involvement with Nintendo)

Staarih

Smash Master

Nice, it's fun to think the game is really playable-ready when we just learned about it a few weeks back. I'm super glad for a shorter speculation period though.

Also, the footage has a disclaimer "Game footage from Smash Bros. for Wii U", so port/no port discussion should pick up again lol.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord

Let the hype begin!

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Nice, it's fun to think the game is really playable-ready when we just learned about it a few weeks back. I'm super glad for a shorter speculation period though.

Also, the footage has a disclaimer "Game footage from Smash Bros. for Wii U", so port/no port discussion should pick up again lol.
"Game footage from Wii U" shouldn't matter.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I hope Sma5h has a new menu and new renders. That's what makes it feel like a new Smash game to me.
Same here. I'm dying to see what the renders, if new, are like.

Hopefully if it ends up being Deluxe Edition they revamp the menus anyway. It needs a bit of work.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
So it’s likely we might get a smash direct sometime before E3, wouldn’t be surprised if it was in April. When was the smash direct that revealed Greninja? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was around that time

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Seems like that Smash 5 is going to be more of a sequal than a port..

It will interesting who will be invited in this tournment.

The question is....Since it is a tournament, will Reggie and Nintendo focused on the casuals ruleset or the competitive ruleset since the competitive Smash community is huge.
I wonder if items will be entered or removed in that tournament or something.
New characters will be very interesting...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aaaaaand great, we can enter hype mode again.
My bet is on a Smash Direct on either April or May, probably at the end of April so there's at least a month for everyone to digest all the info.
In hindisght though, having a tournament is a much better way to promote your game than an info dump at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom