• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Ok, now I definitely can see why you would think Doom Guy would not get in. I will definitely consider re-arranging my predictions now.

And only in special cases like Snake (Kojima and Snake being close friends) would fan-demand not be a major factor right? Though I would think that would be an exception to you more than anything. Kinda makes me wonder if Sakurai has any close friends with Western developers.
Special cases exist. Snake is an example of one. Fan demand had nothing to do with his addition, since his addition was someone going out of their way to ask Sakurai about it.

Is not demand the first thing you just said factors into a third-party guest being added though? And are you also suggesting that Sakurai would have a better chance at adding a Dark Souls character because of Japanese developers and being it more likely that they could be added due to timing?
It is, but like you just said with Snake, special cases may exist.
Especially when Namco-Bandai is involved, considering Pac-Man is another example of a special case. Just one that wasn't due to a request from the company/developer like with Snake.

Right and people talked about Sans too. And the Rabbids.
Stopping you right there.

You are grossly exaggerating this.
There's a big difference between the likes of Sans, the Rabbids, and Crash.

Crash actually had a sizable support base and would show up in polls well before N. Sane Trilogy was even announced for PS4. While barely anyone legitimately supported the idea of the Rabbids, ESPECIALLY over Rayman (and to this day, their support over Rayman is still questionable). And Sans? Barely any legitimate discussion of the idea outside of some minor "what-if" discussion among the Undertale fandom.
Literally all N. Sane Trilogy did was get Crash fans excited that the series isn't dead. And all the Switch release announcement did is reinforce that Crash was a legitimate possibility for Smash.
To compare Crash support to Sans support or friggin Rabbid support is pretty damn insulting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
All this talk of third parties really reminds me why I hate them in smash. :rolleyes:
Well, if there's any other topics you want to bring up, feel free to.

I got one for you guys, if you had to pick 5 Assist Trophies to be made into playable characters(be they original, clone, semi-clone) who would you go with? I don't see people getting too in depth with Assists getting the upgrade Little Mac and Charizard got.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I got one for you guys, if you had to pick 5 Assist Trophies to be made into playable characters(be they original, clone, semi-clone) who would you go with? I don't see people getting too in depth with Assists getting the upgrade Little Mac and Charizard got.
Ashley, Isaac, Ghirahim, Lyn, and Midna.

Honorable mentions: Kat & Ana, Prince of Sable, and Phosphora

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Question: does this include Poke Ball and Master Ball summons as well?

If not, my Assist picks would be:
  • Waluigi
  • Isabelle
  • Isaac
  • Midna
  • Lyn
If yes, then my Assist/Poke Ball picks would be:
  • Waluigi
  • Isabelle
  • Meloetta
  • Zoroark
  • Fennekin

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

Starfy, Takamaru, Isaac (I know he wasn't even an AT in Smash 4, but I still count him lol), Ashley, and Dillon, honestly.

Morbi

Scavenger

The main reason people just talk about third party characters (and clones/veterans) is because the potential Nintendo characters list is so abysmally small that I cannot even properly answer your question. I only need three. Waluigi, Takamaru, and Isabelle. If I really forced myself, I might include Lyn, but nobody wants another Fire Emblem character, really, or Shadow, but, like, he is third-party.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Starfy, Takamaru, Isaac (I know he wasn't even an AT in Smash 4, but I still count him lol), Ashley, and Dillon, honestly.
Oh, Takamaru is a honorable mention for me too. I forgot about him.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

If I had to pick:
1. Dillon
2. Waluigi
3. Magnus
4. Takamaru
5. Dr. Wright (LOL)

no specific order!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Question: does this include Poke Ball and Master Ball summons as well?

If not, my Assist picks would be:
  • Waluigi
  • Isabelle
  • Isaac
  • Midna
  • Lyn
If yes, then my Assist/Poke Ball picks would be:
  • Waluigi
  • Isabelle
  • Meloetta
  • Zoroark
  • Fennekin
Yeah, Pokeball Assists count, since they are basically the same thing.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Even though we're moving past it now I do want to say, I'm not too keen on the idea of third parties this time around either. I think we've added everyone we needed to and the pool of notable characters left who are important to Nintendo's history is quite small.

Cloud exists, Snake existed, but I really don't want it to go any further than that as far as the "unexpected" third parties go. I get much more satisfaction from the likes of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Ryu in Smash which is in my eyes the perfect lineup. I really really don't want them to start adding third parties just to fill a quota. Smash is still at its core a celebration of Nintendo history and I want its third party characters to continue to reflect that.

My AT promotions would be Waluigi, Takamaru, Isabelle, Ashley and Ray Mk III.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord

Lets have a look see (and in no particular order):

Dillion: seems to have gained a fair bit of exposure now and has cemented himself as a pretty strong character.
Isaac: don't know too much about Golden Sun, but he seems like an interesting character.
Isabelle: I think this would be the best rep if there to be another Animal Crossing character.
Takamaru: Good retro character.
Jeff (Earthbound): I think Jeff could be a really unique character and could make a fun new addition to the Earthbound team, although we probably won't see anymore unless they make a new game.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Here's another fun "Discussion" topic.

Pick one character you'd like to see in Smash from each of the following categories:

Nintendo Character from the 80s:
Nintendo Character from the 90s:
Nintendo Character from the 2000s (Before 2010):
Nintendo Character from a "Modern" title (2010-Present):
Smash Represented Series that only has 1-2 reps in Smash, Including Third Parties (F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Mother, etc):
Character who is an Assist Trophy currently:
80's: Toad
90's: Ray
2000's: Chibi Robo
Modern: Mipha
Smol Smash Repped Series: K. Rool
AT: Lyn

1. Ray (If we're counting Brawl ATs too)
2. Lyn
3. Ashley
4. Midna
5. Waluigi

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Even though we're moving past it now I do want to say, I'm not too keen on the idea of third parties this time around either. I think we've added everyone we needed to and the pool of notable characters left who are important to Nintendo's history is quite small.

Cloud exists, Snake existed, but I really don't want it to go any further than that as far as the "unexpected" third parties go. I get much more satisfaction from the likes of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Ryu in Smash which is in my eyes the perfect lineup. I really really don't want them to start adding third parties just to fill a quota. Smash is still at its core a celebration of Nintendo history and I want its third party characters to continue to reflect that.

As far as I am concerned, the second they added Bayonetta, it stopped being about Nintendo or a celebration of gaming. Winner of the ballot or not, that sanctity is gone as far as I am concerned. I know people hate to hear it; however, I genuinely expect Goku this time around.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As far as I am concerned, the second they added Bayonetta, it stopped being about Nintendo or a celebration of gaming.
For me Cloud was more of a reflection of this, a character who very rarely appears on Nintendo consoles and furthermore continues to give Nintendo the shaft with the upcoming FF7 remake. I wasn't too keen on Bayo at first, but I've come to look at her as a pseudo Nintendo character by now. Her games are published by Nintendo for Nintendo consoles, with Bayo 3 on the horizon her inclusion is further justified.

So as a third party pick Bayo definitely sticks out but I'm coming around to seeing Bayonetta as a Nintendo property. I think she's in a weird spot when you compare her to all the legacy third parties.

Originality

Smash Journeyman

Isabelle
Dillon
Starfy
Ashley
Midna

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832

Waluigi (OBVI)
Isabelle
uhhh...

Okay honestly there aren't that many other assist trophies I really want in the game that badly. Skull Kid would be alright I guess but I don't really care that much about him. Takamaru is from some japan only game that I never played but I like retro reps so I'd be into that. Dillon would be neat but I've never played his games I think maybe I just like him because he's a cowboy.

Speaking of cowboys and assist trophies... #SherrifForSmash

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If we get any new third parties this time around, which I fully expect, I expect at least one of them to be Rayman. Since he's been on Nintendo systems for a while now, just recently got the Rayman Legends Definitive Edition on Switch, and was the weirdest thing about Smash 4, since he had a TROPHY, but wasn't playable, something unheard of for third parties.

Morbi

Scavenger
For me Cloud was more of a reflection of this, a character who very rarely appears on Nintendo consoles and furthermore continues to give Nintendo the shaft with the upcoming FF7 remake. I wasn't too keen on Bayo at first, but I've come to look at her as a pseudo Nintendo character by now. Her games are published by Nintendo for Nintendo consoles, with Bayo 3 on the horizon her inclusion is further justified.

So as a third party pick Bayo definitely sticks out but I'm coming around to seeing Bayonetta as a Nintendo property. I think she's in a weird spot when you compare her to all the legacy third parties.
I definitely agree, I have no problem with her, I just believe that she was legitimately a nobody. At least Cloud is a huge part of gaming history. But once you add them all together, Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, I have come to the conclusion that I do not care anymore. It would be difficult to. Even just adding the Rayman trophy sort of taints that "ideal" Smash I had in mind.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Welp, if I had to pick from Assist characters I wanted.

- Isaac: Has ton of moves to pull from with Earth based magic and creating giant hands.
- Dark Samus: Kind of underrated, with certain moves used in her boss fights like the rapid fire, or abilities that she shares with Samus that haven't been used(Boost Ball, for one) she's got enough to be as similar to Samus, as Wolf is to Fox. And she could turn into Metroid Prime for a Final Smash.
- Dillon: Not much to say, he looks fairly cool.
- Saki: Don't know too much about Sin and Punishment, his weapon is interesting.
- Waluigi: If the sports gimmick isn't used on Daisy or Toad or whoever else.

I can see where you're coming from. For the most part I want characters that are closely tied to Nintendo too. But there's a few, while as close as Mega Man, Sonic or even Ryu, still have enough of a connection to warrant a chance.

Gestahl

Smash Cadet
I want Wolf-Link with Midnas on the back as a character. Banjo Kazooie. Im a sucker for Duck Hunt Duo characters!

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Say if to get Sora, Disney would want Nintendo to put their mascot Mickey Mouse in the game as a fighter too. How would you guys feel?

Mickey would have a lot of potential for a moveset

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So with the supposed massive datamine going around, do we know if theres a way we can use say google cache to see if and when this was edited.

https://imgur.com/E8AltM9

I mean I says February and it'd be 100% spot on if we can prove those titles have been there since Feb. If we see that its been edited as they were revealed we will know its BS.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Say if to get Sora, Disney would want Nintendo to put their mascot Mickey Mouse in the game as a fighter too. How would you guys feel?

I'm generally against the idea of fourth party characters, though I wouldn't actually mind if Mickey Mouse was added as a playable character.

There's definitely some potential to make him a cool character. You could use his Sorcerer's Apprentice outfit from Fantasia, or make him like PAC-MAN where he makes several references to Disney properties.

That said it won't happen since rights would be a ***** to get.

Morbi

Scavenger

Again, probably not a popular opinion around these parts; however, I would vastly prefer Mickey, not just to Sora, but other potential third-party characters and even some Nintendo ones outside of the obvious all-stars picks.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
1. Helirin
2. Mr. Resetti
3. Color TV-Game 15
4. Dr. Kawashima
5. Sheriff

If Pokeballs count, Bonsly is a must have.

Polan

Smash Lord
Man, y'all are drama queens. 6 third parties in a 58 character roster and now apparently that means that Goku will somehow get in the game. Seriously, reading third party discussions in Smashboards is painful. Mostly just whinging about how Bayonetta and Cloud "ruined" the game despite being some of the hypest reveals in Smash history. No wonder this place was a saltmine after Bayo's reveal.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

It would open the floodgates for non video game characters. And as much as I like things like DBZ, Marvel and DC, I don't want that personally. If you look at this poorly made list of events.

1. To get Sora, gotta have Mickey
2. Sora Trailer, tons of people are hype.
3. Mickey busts in.
4. Internet goes crazy
5. A new ballot is made
6. People ****post their votes for Shrek
7. It's taken seriously
8. Shrek in Smash

Sorry, but the risk is too great.

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
1. Helirin
2. Mr. Resetti
3. Color TV-Game 15
4. Dr. Kawashima
5. Sheriff

If Pokeballs count, Bonsly is a must have.
The irony cops are on their way. You'll pay for your crimes.

On the real though I bet there are people out there that could make a legitimately good moveset idea for my man Sheriff.

Morbi

Scavenger
Man, y'all are drama queens. 6 third parties in a 58 character roster and now apparently that means that Goku will somehow get in the game. Seriously, reading third party discussions in Smashboards is painful. Mostly just whinging about how Bayonetta and Cloud "ruined" the game despite being some of the hypest reveals in Smash history. No wonder this place was a saltmine after Bayo's reveal.
It is not even drama. I actually want him. As far as I am concerned, he is the only character capable of surprising players nowadays. I feel as though people heavily underestimate his chances.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So with the supposed massive datamine going around, do we know if theres a way we can use say google cache to see if and when this was edited.

I mean I says February and it'd be 100% spot on if we can prove those titles have been there since Feb. If we see that its been edited as they were revealed we will know its BS.
Hope to god that the list there isn't true.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It is not even drama. I actually want him. As far as I am concerned, he is the only character capable of surprising players nowadays. I feel as though people heavily underestimate his chances.
Exactly how does Bayonetta getting in the game equate to Goku getting in the next game? I'm curious.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

The description says that it updates "time to time". Although it doesn't specify when, this is a really big list and a lot of these titles feel unreal. Also, they listed the Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story as a Switch release, when it's obviously a 3DS release.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I seriously doubt it is considering it has Earthworm Jim 4 on it, as well as Indie Pogo when their developers have been looking into the possibility ever since Game Maker 2 was announced on Switch, which was the same time Undertale was announced, meaning they've only had like a week or so to look into the CHANCE of being on Switch.

Also someone informed me that Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection is on there twice, so...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The list started with "Yoshi" and "Cardboard." I am going to unconditionally believe it.
You never know with these kinds of things lol.

The amount of HD remaster/remakes on there is incredible. I mean like really Kirby 64 HD?

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
While a lot of the subtitles themselves sound bad or lazy, the fact that it claims so many of our beloved series are getting sequels is something I'd love. Lucky enough for us, we just have to wait over the next few weeks and see if any of these unannounced or unrumored titles get revealed. But in the meantime, if we can find a way to view the edit history of the posts we will know if its BS right away.

Polan

Smash Lord
lol at the names of the pokemon games. they sound like fangames.

I have no idea, you tell me.
m8 you literally posted this 29 minutes ago

As far as I am concerned, the second they added Bayonetta, it stopped being about Nintendo or a celebration of gaming. Winner of the ballot or not, that sanctity is gone as far as I am concerned. I know people hate to hear it; however, I genuinely expect Goku this time around.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The only AT promotion I want is Ashley. Though if I expect any Assist trophy to be promoted it would be Lyn or Takumaru.

Yeah Yeah, "no more fire emblem reps," someone will say, but Lyn is the most popular fire emblem character. Fire emblem being a game that has had a great surge in popularity, and franchise that Sakurai has been shown to perfectly give a lot of representation to.

Takumaru is the next popular retro rep that Sakurai has even said in the past that he wanted to add.

It's really hard to imagine if had to pick only one it wouldn't be Lyn or Takumaru. Unless he really couldn't think of a moveset for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom