• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Here's a new topic.

Smash has dedicated one character slot to an Indie developer as a sign of good faith. Meaning Smash Bros has one Indie character.

Who is it?
Shantae, without a doubt.

-16 year history with Nintendo
-Moveset that pretty much writes itself
-Stupid good music choices (Remixes of "Run, Run Rottytops" and "Dance Through the Danger" please!)

D

Deleted member

Oh believe me, if Pyra gets in Smash, she's putting on pants. If female Corrin's thigh window was too much, you better believe Pyra's "outfit" is gonna be more substantial. :p
faf.gif

SAKURAI AND DEVELOPERS, PLEASE KEEP THE OUTFIT FROM XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2 INSTEAD OF CHANGING IT.

Pyra looks really nice in that tight clothing, and it looks like something someone will fight with. Heck look at Cammy and R. Mika from Street Fighter V, and that game managed to still be T rating. So I can see the developers keeping Pyra's clothing from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 instead of putting pants on her if they did not push for an E10+ rating. I hope they do not censor Mythra either.

If the game developers did not censor Mythra or Pyra and just keep their looks from the original game, I would be really pleased with them. Now I want a T rating instead of an E10+ for our new Smash in Switch game.
I was actually referring to Pyra and the blonde one.

But holy crap, what is this?!

They are literally bigger than her head hahaha.
That is one hideous and ugly design.
****ty character design, that's what it is.
I agree 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So we are talking indies characters now? I'd go with Shantae. I am more familiar with her than others, and I like her honestly more than others such as Shovel Knight. So I would be happy if it was her. Plus, like someone else said, she does have a long history with Nintendo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 138696
SAKURAI AND DEVELOPERS, PLEASE KEEP THE OUTFIT FROM XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2 INSTEAD OF CHANGING IT.

Pyra looks really nice in that tight clothing, and it looks like something someone will fight with. Heck look at Cammy and R. Mika from Street Fighter V, and that game managed to still be T rating. So I can see the developers keeping Pyra's clothing from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 instead of putting pants on her if they did not push for an E10+ rating. I hope they do not censor Mythra either.

If the game developers did not censor Mythra or Pyra and just keep their looks from the original game, I would be really pleased with them. Now I want a T rating instead of an E10+ for our new Smash in Switch game.

That is one hideous and ugly design.
I don't see them going back to a T rating for the purpose of keeping one (honestly tacky) design exactly the same. Mark my words, if Pyra is playable, there's gonna be some form of censorship. It's inevitable, frankly.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Was pretty impartial to whether or not Shovel Knight is gonna get in and I still don't think his chances are that good but I replayed Shovel Knight recently and now I really really would love to see him in smash. Here is *youtuber voice* my top 4 reasons I would love to see Shovel Knight in Smash 5.

1. His alt colours could be based off the different kinds of armour from the game.
2. An Explodatorium stage would be rad (if maybe pretty uncompetitive what with stage hazards and all)
3. He has all sorts of wild tricks up his sleeve i.e. his flame rod, bouncy ball thing, anchor, etc.
4. He's nice, he's blue and he is my friend and if I didn't want the best for him what kind of friend would that make me?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Here's the way I see it between Shovel Knight and Shantae.

Shantae:
-Been around well beyond a decade
-Originated exclusively on a Nintendo system
-Has something she can bring to Smash that not many other fighters can, being her transformations/dances

Shovel Knight:
-One of the only third party series to have its own Amiibo line, let alone an indie series
-Is incredibly unapologetic with being a NES inspired platformer, meaning he fits right at home with many other characters
-Is a fair bit more recognizeable and popular in the public eye than Shantae is (Which is not to say Shantae herself isn't popular)

Besides that, both are very much the most successful/at home on Nintendo platforms, and are very much requested. I know a lot of people are sure Shovel Knight is the absolute most guarenteed, and in a way he is, but I don't think it's quite as much of a run away victory as people think.

So where does this leave us?

Gunvolt for Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't see them going back to a T rating for the purpose of keeping one (honestly tacky) design exactly the same. Mark my words, if Pyra is playable, there's gonna be some form of censorship. It's inevitable, frankly.
You are missing the point. I am not saying that they will make it a T rating for one design, I just want a T rated Smash Brothers game in the Switch. I want them to keep the cartoony design, I just want a mature Subspace and more "mature" clothing.

I really hope that Sakurai and the developers become real nice and let us keep Pyra and Mythra's "big bodies and tight clothing" without any changes. As much as I would like to argue, you are right. ~Kneels down to show that you are more powerful and correct than I.~

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was thinking about it, and I realized that if they choose to go with Impa, and her design is based off botw, she’ll probablt end up looking like Paya, since she’s her granddaughter.
Exactly! Then they could mix that design with OOT Impa and give her the hat of BOTW Old Impa and that's a good basic design for Impa if they HAD to force her in with a BOTW look.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Here's a new topic.

Smash has dedicated one character slot to an Indie developer as a sign of good faith. Meaning Smash Bros has one Indie character.

Who is it?
You know damn well most of these lot are gonna say Shovel Knight. There's not much contest here on Smashboards :urg:
Still rootin for my girl Shantae. They gotta release an Amiibo or something to even out the distance between her and Shovel Knight, though the Half Genie Hero physical release with the DLC on it being a Switch exclusive bodes well for her.

geoluminescent

Smash Cadet
Eugh, I hope that the Xenoblade characters aren't as fanservice-y as they are in their home game. I hate that kinda stuff. When you can tell something was designed specifically for fanservice it just completely pulls me out of the experience and grosses me out, especially with how young some characters look.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
If Cloud gets cut, does that automatically mean other Square Characters can't be in instead like Geno, Sora, or Chrono?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Pyra looks really nice in that tight clothing, and it looks like something someone will fight with.
I don't want to beat a dead horse (I'll leave the excessive beating of dead flesh to... you know, never mind), but are you honestly of the opinion that having every possible vital area exposed is "battle ready"? That's the worst part of Corrin's design... you don't want a cut on your inner thigh for any reason. That's to say nothing of the thong, which they make a point in the art of showing to be very tight.
It's not even a matter of whether or not it should be censored or if it's a good design, I just don't understand how you can say that it looks like anything other than a sexual fantasy when that seems pretty clearly to be what it's meant to be.

more "mature" clothing
I find it fascinating how "maturity" in any other context is usually about depth or complexity but here it's about how easy it is to masturbate to.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If Cloud gets cut, does that automatically mean other Square Characters can't be in instead like Geno, Sora, or Chrono?
I mean, it's not like 4 didn't have 2 Capcom and 2 Sega guest characters. I don't think Cloud has literally any impact on that front.

I feel like Cloud only really affects the chances of more FF characters rather than another Square rep in general.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
If SE gets a representative then it would be Cloud. I imagine it'd be just as hard to license Cloud as it is to get the other characters you listed.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I was watching Arlo's video about his hopes for Smash Swtich, and one thing that he mentioned that stood out to me the most was not having all the new characters revealed before the game comes out, leaving for some to be unlocked by ourselves.

Do you agree with this sentiment? Honestly? I don't. I prefer knowing what I'm getting when I go into a game like Smash; I'd rather know about a character that I may not like (which is, quite frankly close to impossible) being an unlockable character, or just being in the game at all.

Honestly, it's kind of hard to summarise how I'm feeling, but that's the best I can describe it as.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't forget who published Shovel Knight's Japanese release.

Hint: It wasn't Sega.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Here's a new topic.

Who is it?
At the moment, it's honestly Madeline from Celeste. Amazing game, and plenty of interesting concepts to work with.

Morbi

Scavenger
You know damn well most of these lot are gonna say Shovel Knight. There's not much contest here on Smashboards :urg:
Still rootin for my girl Shantae. They gotta release an Amiibo or something to even out the distance between her and Shovel Knight, though the Half Genie Hero physical release with the DLC on it being a Switch exclusive bodes well for her.
I want Shantae more than Shovel Knight; however, Undertale deserves it as far as I am concerned. Sans would probably be "the" pick.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
If the boob blades are in Smash Switch, I don't think it will be E for everyone anymore.

Probably T.
The what?
You rang?

Here's a new topic.

Who is it?
Shantae, since she has games going all the way to the GBC. they have stuff to work on, like gimmicks and stages.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No. It just means Cloud wasn't able to come back due to the companies not in agreeing with his inclusion. Other stuff may still happen if they agree to it.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
I was watching Arlo's video about his hopes for Smash Swtich, and one thing that he mentioned that stood out to me the most was not having all the new characters revealed before the game comes out, leaving for some to be unlocked by ourselves.

Do you agree with this sentiment? Honestly? I don't. I prefer knowing what I'm getting when I go into a game like Smash; I'd rather know about a character that I may not like (which is, quite frankly close to impossible) being an unlockable character, or just being in the game at all.

Honestly, it's kind of hard to summarise how I'm feeling, but that's the best I can describe it as.
I really love the shock that melee gives you when you unlock new characters like Ganondorf and Mewtwo, nobody new back then other then word of mouth. So for this game I feel half should be revealed and half shouldn't.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
I feel like Shovel Knight breathed life back into indies. I wouldn't have thought about getting another indie game if it wasn't for Shovel Knight.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Uh... Smash has always had hidden newcomers though.

4 was just a bit of a weird case because it had two versions with one releasing before the other. Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt were only known before 3DS's release because of leaks. They didn't talk about characters like Duck Hunt until later down the road.

In fact, BOTH of them are still considered hidden fighters on Smash 4's website.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I watched the video, and I can see where he's coming from. He said that it's really exciting to just have the game in your hands, and while you're playing have this newcomer you didn't know was in the game show up and be like "Hey, I'm part of the game too!"

I can understand that mindset, but personally, I really do enjoy seeing the trailers in particular for newcomers, and I want Nintendo to keep making them, even if it spoils the surprise for some.

geoluminescent

Smash Cadet

Personally I'd agree with his sentiment. I'm gonna stay as far away from spoilers as I can in terms of hidden characters and stuff; I'm hoping to recreate that feeling of, y'know, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" when I see a new character for the first time while actually playing the game. I remember having that stuff happen in Melee... good times.

?????????????

Smash Master
To me, Shovel Knight has become an icon of Indie game characters, and has abilities that are both unique and interesting to Smash Bros., and really FIT into Smash Bros.

...But my favorite is still Shantae.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
I'm also conflicted with this.

On one hand, more trailers makes more hype for the game.

On the other hand, unlocking characters you don't know would be in the game.

Morbi

Scavenger
Uh... Smash has always had hidden newcomers though.

4 was just a bit of a weird case because it had two versions with one releasing before the other. Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt were only known before 3DS's release because of leaks. They didn't talk about characters like Duck Hunt until later down the road.
To be fair, they had trailers prepared. So, they probably intended to.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I'm also conflicted with this.

On one hand, more trailers makes more hype for the game.

On the other hand, unlocking characters you don't know would be in the game.
I think it would be neat if they made trailers for things other than newcomer reveals. There are all sorts of other things that could be done with various modes and updated veterans, it's not like the entire game is the changed part of the character select screen, though their marketing might tell you otherwise.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
To be fair, they had trailers prepared. So, they probably intended to.
Having trailers ready doesn't mean they intended to have them revealed alongside every other character. It just means they wanted to give every newcomer the same treatment.

Bowser Jr. Only got revealed in the 50-fact direct because they decided not to make him hidden in Wii U. Duck Hunt still hasn't had his trailer shown at any public event, I don't think, unless you're subscribed to Smash's youtube feed.

Since we just have one game this time, it's pretty safe to assume they'll keep some newcomers under wraps.

Or try to, anyway.

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832

I saw that video too and it got me thinking too. I totally sympathize with the sentiment. Every time a new Pokemon game comes out I always feel like they reveal too many of the mons beforehand. For Smash I'm a lot more flexible though. I'm pretty much okay with knowing who's in the game before I buy it to be honest and it's not like there's that many new characters per game or anything.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman

I personally like unlockable characters. It makes me feel like there's more for me to "progress" in the game for. I remember back when a magazine said sonic and tails were characters in melee, and you had to unlock them by doing the cruel melee and getting so many kills or whatever. I did that for a long time trying to get the amount of kills needed, only to find out it was fake. Haha. Still, for me... unlockable characters are the way to go. I suppose that won't stop someone from looking up all the characters these days anyhow.

Not sure if it's really considered indie at this point, but yeah... I'd love to see Travis Touchdown make it in. I know his newest game involves a bunch of indie titles, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom