• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I swear to god if dolly parton is another clone I'm gonna be so mad at sakurai
Fear not. From what I hear Dolly Parton is the next top tier Smash character. I have no idea on her move set, but Sakurai really wanted to have this country music legend be fully abreast and ready for battle.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I know close to nothing about Xenoblade 2. Cure me of my ignorance: how would Rex play differently than Shulk?
The differences would lie in the sword. The Monado has that laser blade that can extend out for lots of range. The Aegis (Rex's sword) doesn't have that.

Plus, Shulk's specials are based off his attacks from Xenoblade, and aside from maybe one or two similar-looking ones, Rex doesn't share any attacks with Shulk.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I know close to nothing about Xenoblade 2. Cure me of my ignorance: how would Rex play differently than Shulk?
Well, Shulk has a mechanic in his games called "Monado Arts" which Rex doesn't have. Xenoblade 2 has a thing called "blades" which Rex could take advantage of with Pyra and Mythra. So in reality, Rex is likely going to be a 2 (or 3) in one fighter, while shulk has that weird Monado mechanic.

Also, Rex has a grappling hook.

geoluminescent

Smash Cadet
There is a specter haunting the Kirby series, the specter of poor localization choices.
Bandana Dee is the hero the proletariat needs and deserves. With Pop Star beset on all sides by gluttony made manifest, a greedy king, a power-hungry feudal knight baron, and the imperialistic aspirations of Dark Matter itself, only Dee can unite the oppressed citizenry under a banner of justice and the common good. As a simple Waddle Dee who worked his way to the influential position he holds, instead of being born into royalty, or possessing some fantastic genetic ability to devastate all in his wake, Bandana Dee represents the hopes and dreams of the working class - and will surely lead them to victory.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
The differences would lie in the sword. The Monado has that laser blade that can extend out for lots of range. The Aegis (Rex's sword) doesn't have that.

Plus, Shulk's specials are based off his attacks from Xenoblade, and aside from maybe one or two similar-looking ones, Rex doesn't share any attacks with Shulk.
bummer. I dont know much about xenoblade 2 but I was hoping rex could get in as an alt costume or something of shulk, not that i dont want the guy I just find making roster space for him tough and I do believe he's pretty likely.

D

Deleted member

I know Nintendo has driven this song into the ground already.

But get ready for this to be in the game somewhere. Double-y so if Pauline becomes a newcomer.

Yes especially if New Donk City is a stage or the Odyssey is.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The Odyssey song has to be in smash. Pauline and her band can rock out on the stage as the fight commences.

Last edited:

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
Something I was thinking about was the ledge attack animations.

I really hope they bring back the second slower one for when your damage is over 100%. I always thought that was a neat touch.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
As someone who hates Rex but adores Pyra I'd take Solo Pyra.

Rex is like a necessary evil to me.
Come on man, Rer isn't that bad. (uh, real minor cursing I guess if you click that link. It's not even the f bomb it's that minor)

bummer. I dont know much about xenoblade 2 but I was hoping rex could get in as an alt costume or something of shulk, not that i dont want the guy I just find making roster space for him tough and I do believe he's pretty likely.
Who the heck are you adding that there's no roster space for Rex? Just curious.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think in terms of regular moves, it is how Rex holds the Aegies sword compared to how Shulk holds the monado. Rex always holds the aegies sword with two hands and puts power into every swing. While Shulk can alternate between one hand and can swing the monado relatively easily. It'd be almost impossible to have their jabs and tilts be the same. Like Rex probably couldn't do Shulk's tilts or smashes.

Then like other's have pointed out, Rex doesn't use monado arts but rather has blades. Blades could be different weapon types like knuckles and hammers. And once you build up a meter, Rex could give his weapon to his blade to perform a "special" in his game. There was also a mechanic called blade combo, but that might be a bit much for smash.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I like Rex.

I just really, really don't like his voice actor.

He does passable in normal conversation, but any time a scene gets emotional he just... Drops the ball. Adam Howden he ain't.

That being said, I feel having Rex AND Pyra as a single character is an infinitely more interesting idea than Pyra solo. Lends itself to some interesting ideas.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think in terms of regular moves, it is how Rex holds the Aegies sword compared to how Shulk holds the monado. Rex always holds the aegies sword with two hands and puts power into every swing. While Shulk can alternate between one hand and can swing the monado relatively easily. It'd be almost impossible to have their jabs and tilts be the same. Like Rex probably couldn't do Shulk's tilts or smashes.

Then like other's have pointed out, Rex doesn't use monado arts but rather has blades. Blades could be different weapon types like knuckles and hammers. And once you build up a meter, Rex could give his weapon to his blade to perform a "special" in his game. There was also a mechanic called blade combo, but that might be a bit much for smash.
Also, he has basically a hookshot.

D

Deleted member

I really miss Snake. His music in Brawl was so welly done compared to other songs and I loved playing him in general. Snake is the perfect job for a solider in the battlefield. #KonamiBringBackSnake
I like Rex.

I just really, really don't like his voice actor.

He does passable in normal conversation, but any time a scene gets emotional he just... Drops the ball. Adam Howden he ain't.

That being said, I feel having Rex AND Pyra as a single character is an infinitely more interesting idea than Pyra solo. Lends itself to some interesting ideas.
I agree with a Rex and Pyra duo for now, but why not Mythra? She is the biggest of the bunch and makes the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 representation even better than it already is. Mythra would also be a really good option for a "mini Monando". Mythra does less knockback and more damage, Pyra does less damage but more knockback, and Rex is in the middle. Thoughts?
Hm? Did somebody say "Karl Marx"?
Ah, the guy who made the "Communist Manifesto" in 1848 with Friedrich Engles and made a theory where a government will control the world, which is basically communism. The year that book happened, the second French Revolution has happened.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Pauline as a DK newcomer is more likely than people give it credit for. Being that she was a cast member of one of the most popular arcade games and being a highlight in the most popular modern Nintendo game today.

Having a parasol is an interesting fighting style, which we've seen in Kirby games, along with her love of music, specifically jazz.

And yes, she is a DK character. If you think I'm gonna argue with you about this for the millionth time, think again. That's the series she is known for being in and the one and only time she appeared in a Mario game, she was surrounded by references to Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Country. I actually have had to explain this to like 100 different people. But, even the one's who don't get that complain that she be stealing King K. Rool's spot.

I wanna say King K. Rool is more likely, but he's been absent for ten years, whereas Pauline has been directly in the spotlight and again, a cast member of one of the most popular video games of all time.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Don't forget that attacks in Xenoblade 2 are only at their strongest when a Blade and their Driver are connected by their affinity ribbon, I.E. close to one another. Again, an idea I think could lend itself to Smash quite well.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Come on man, Rer isn't that bad. (uh, real minor cursing I guess if you click that link. It's not even the f bomb it's that minor)

Who the heck are you adding that there's no roster space for Rex? Just curious.
well Im trying to end with 64-67 total characters (mattering how you count Miis) and only cutting the 3 clones (making them alt costumes instead) and its tough when you add inkling, ice climbers and wolf returning, pokemon getting a new rep, at least 2 3rd party reps, a retro rep, a wtf rep, an assist trophy pulling a "little mac", and then at least one new rep for a few of these series: mario/zelda/dk/metroid/fe... it gets tight fast trying to hit all those spots to guess at what we could get and then have room for more current characters like rex and springman etc...

geoluminescent

Smash Cadet
Ah, the guy who made the "Communist Manifesto" in 1848 with Friedrich Engles and made a theory where a government will control the world, which is basically communism. The year that book happened, the second French Revolution has happened.
I've heard Engels described as "the Luigi of communism." Maybe Marx and Engels could be a duo character with moves similar to Mario and Luigi in the Mario & Luigi game?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So anyone think Ridley will finally be playable or will the meme go on for eternity?
Playable, easily.

You'll be playing him in the future, think of this post, look back, and say," Yes, I am playing Ridley as was ordained."

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I really miss Snake. His music in Brawl was so welly done compared to other songs and I loved playing him in general. Snake is the perfect job for a solider in the battlefield. #KonamiBringBackSnake

I agree with a Rex and Pyra duo for now, but why not Mythra? She is the biggest of the bunch and makes the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 representation even better than it already is. Mythra would also be a really good option for a "mini Monando". Mythra does less knockback and more damage, Pyra does less damage but more knockback, and Rex is in the middle. Thoughts?

I feel like Pyra and Mythra would make great alt costumes for one another more than separate characters. Not like elemental weaknesses are a thing in Smash (Outside of Brawl I think?), So just change the character, change the attack effects, and you can just pick who you prefer.

The Final Smash can use both Pyra AND Mythra to compensate for that. Like start with one, switch to the other.

Last edited:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Pyra and Mythra could maybe work as alts of each other, though if Rex's move-set involves Blade Specials in any way that would probably look awkward. Pyra and Mythra have drastically different abilities from one another.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Sounds like an interesting dynamic. I could see it working.

Although, putting Mythra in the game gives Rex a similar "Foresight" ability to the one Shulk had in his source game. Which means yet another anime swordsman with a counter. Heheheheh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I feel like Pyra and Mythra would make great alt costumes for one another more than separate characters. Not like elemental weaknesses are a thing in Smash (Outside of Brawl I think?), So just change the character, change the attack effects, and you can just pick who you prefer.

The Final Smash can use both Pyra AND Mythra to compensate for that. Like start with one, switch to the other.
The issue with that is that Pyra's Fire attacks would set off explosives while Mythra's presumably wouldn't.

Fire effects aren't just aesthetic in Smash, so that's a gameplay difference.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Low-quality OC: Smashboards thread simulator video made by your's truly.

And yes, I know Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon 's voice is inconsistent.

Playable, easily.

You'll be playing him in the future, think of this post, look back, and say," Yes, I am playing Ridley as was ordained."
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment my friend. I don't think Sakurai is going to change his mind about Ridley any time soon.

As much as I'd love to be wrong, I'd rather be on the safe side as to not disappoint myself.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Low-quality OC: Smashboards thread simulator video made by your's truly.

And yes, I know Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon 's voice is inconsistent.

I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment my friend. I don't think Sakurai is going to change his mind about Ridley any time soon.

As much as I'd love to be wrong, I'd rather be on the safe side as to not disappoint myself.
Play it safe and get safe rewards. Like a cracker.

Or go bold. Space Dragon.

Your choice, cracker or space dragon.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a new topic.

Smash has dedicated one character slot to an Indie developer as a sign of good faith. Meaning Smash Bros has one Indie character.

Who is it?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Sounds like an interesting dynamic. I could see it working.

Although, putting Mythra in the game gives Rex a similar "Foresight" ability to the one Shulk had in his source game. Which means yet another anime swordsman with a counter. Heheheheh.
To be foresight was only techically a thing in the actual game. Being just another ability on an affinity chart. As oppose to a main mechanic that was vision in the first game.

That doesn't mean Rex couldn't have a counter. If Rex can use a katana blade in smash, then you could make one of the evasion arts a counter in smash.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The issue with that is that Pyra's Fire attacks would set off explosives while Mythra's presumably wouldn't.

Fire effects aren't just aesthetic in Smash, so that's a gameplay difference.
I mean (Not the best example I know), Project M did it with Mario and Dr. Mario. They removed the fire properties of his fireballs for the pills and gave the forward smash an electric property. Outside of Red Pikmin being able to be defeated by pills and not fireballs I don't recall there being major differences? But I could be wrong there.

Outside of Blade Combos I don't think their Arts left any elemental impact on the enviornment or their effects either.

Again, not the best example, I know. But it is evidence that it can work at least. I'm down for having both Pyra and Mythra either way, no matter how it's implemented.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom