• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Isn't it weird that Crash and even freakin' Bomberman are relevant again? The fact that they might even get considered for this game would have blown 2013 Me's mind. I got Megaman in the last game so my third party pick this time around is Shantae because, good lord, does she fit to the premise and scheme of Smash Bros well, not to mention all the awesome music she'd bring with her if she got in.
Bomberman is relevant? All I know of Bomberman recently is a small and not greatly received Switch game. Is there another big game coming out featuring him? (This might sound combative, but I'm legit asking/am confused)

?????????????

Smash Master
Just quick skimming; a couple things:

1.) I really don't mind having more "sword characters." Sword movesets can be just as varied and diverse as any other fighting style. The idea of "too many sword users" comes across to me the same as someone saying "too many fist fighters."

2.) I think Goku is iconic enough to gaming. Even if he is most well-known as an anime/manga character, there have been literally dozens of Dragon Ball games, whether they're fighter games, adventure games, or RPGs, many of which are tied exclusively to or just associated with Nintendo, and some that date all the way back to NES.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Does your's have

1. Knuckles
  2. Silver
  3. Crash (who isn't that farfetched)
  4. Goku
  5. A Fortnite character
Because I would lose a lot of respect for you as a human being if this was your video unironically.
Not going to spoil my own list, cuz it's in the vid, but I will at least say: None of those characters you mentioned were even considered for the list. So no, none of 'em are on there.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Imagine Goku actually getting in before actual Nintendo highly requested characters like Ridley, K.Rool or Isaac. I don't know if I'd rage or rofl.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
How many people actually want Ganondorf to fight with a sword? It seems silly to hear around these parts, especially considering how many people think we have too many sword characters. I think an entire set based around dark magic would be optimal for a rework, but personally I only want him to get minimal changes, if any. I would like a better recovery, different neutral B, and a different down B.
Sword, trident, it doesn’t matter at this point. As long as he stops pretending he’s an old Cpt. Falcon, it’s all good. The whole “too many swordsmen” lies mainly in the Fire Emblem characters, specifically the Marth clones.

D

Deleted member

I might give up on the bet where I lick a Ridley toy with a laughing tears emoji if Ridley makes it into Smash... that is just weird.
@Cyndane Do not get any ideas either ma'am..
Do you guys want me to lick the statue?
Bomberman is relevant? All I know of Bomberman recently is a small and not greatly received Switch game. Is there another big game coming out featuring him? (This might sound combative, but I'm legit asking/am confused)
Bomberman is getting a game on the Switch so... he is relevant for now. I know you already said this, but more can come if Bomberman continues to remain on a Nintendo console. Plus his games have been getting popular recently I thought, so why not add him.
I feel like that can go down the road of brigading/witch hunting all too easily.
I agree, lets not post weird and creepy YouTube videos.

1.) I really don't mind having more "sword characters." Sword movesets can be just as varied and diverse as any other fighting style. The idea of "too many sword users" comes across to me the same as someone saying "too many fist fighters."

2.) I think Goku is iconic enough to gaming. Even if he is most well-known as an anime/manga character, there have been literally dozens of Dragon Ball games, whether they're fighter games, adventure games, or RPGs, many of which are tied exclusively to or just associated with Nintendo, and some that date all the way back to NES.
I agree with both of them. The new DBZ fighters is really popular, so Goku can be classified as a "gaming character".
Honestly Goku is more related to a third party than a fourth party.
Why do people want Goku when Darth Vader is an objectively better choice?
True true, but Darth Vader is fourth party and Goku is closer to third party. Vader is less likely to be in Smash than winning the lottery yet it is interesting to see a legit mature person say they want Darth Vader in Smash Bros....

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

He's as iconic to gaming as Batman is. And yet no one asks for Batman to be in Smash.

We really should just stick to video game characters.

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
True enough.

If they don't show up initially tho, they will for sure be DLC. I'm counting on it!
I think what he's saying might apply to Crash's chance of getting in the base roster, A couple months after Smash 4's dlc ended The N sane trilogy was announced as a timed ps4 exclusive and isnt coming to the switch till July this year, Im sure Activision discussed the eventual ports to the other consoles with their repsect companies but I dont know if that info would strechover to Sakurai. But I think he has a very good shot as DLC though.

?????????????

Smash Master
He's as iconic to gaming as Batman is. And yet no one asks for Batman to be in Smash.

We really should just stick to video game characters.
To clarify, I do not have a particular desire for Goku in Smash.

But I do believe IF they ever decided to expand the roster outside of video game originating characters, Goku would be one of the prime candidates.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Are people seriously still mentioning Goku when Sakurai himself laughed at the idea?

Originated from a video game = video game character.

Not originated from a video game = not a video game character.

Goku is not a video game character no matter how many games he's been in. It's not complicated.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Are people seriously still mentioning Goku when Sakurai himself laughed at the idea?

Goku is not a video game character no matter how many games he's been in. It's not complicated.
But Cloud and Snake, bruh!

Haha, yeah, I remember Sakurai also mentioned Spongebob as another ridiculous suggestion.

?????????????

Smash Master

That's assuming the rules we have NOW are the rules that will ALWAYS BE.

Which, given the introduction of 3rd Party characters and Animal Crossing Villager in the past, we know isn't the case.

Things change.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The thing with Goku is that rights and licensing are gonna be an absolute ***** to get just to have him appear in the game, let alone possible stages, Smash Run enemies, trophies, etc. There's so many legal hoops to jump through that it isn't even worth it in the grand scheme of things.

If you want Goku, go play Super Smash Flash 2. He's never coming to actual Smash.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I'm happy with any character making it into Smash. How stupid it may even be.

But when the character doesn't originate from a video game/isn't considered from a video game franchise I draw the line.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Can we talk about music for a second? Specifically, I really hope Multi-Man Melee 2 returns like it did in Smash 4, because I have that song set to max on Battlefield.

What music do you guys want to be in Smash 5? Can be returning or new.
Hm, that's a loaded question, there's a lot of good music that I'd like to see. I think the 3 end boss themes from the last 3 Fire Emblem titles would be my top choices. We already have (ID) Purpose, that just leaves End of All and Twilight of the Gods, both being absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Which, given the introduction of 3rd Party characters and Animal Crossing Villager in the past, we know isn't the case.

Things change.
Licensing, though. James Bond was considered for Melee, but there were too many legal hoops that came with adding him, so Sakurai decided not to.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Things change.
And that's assuming that there were previous "rules."

There was never a rule that third parties couldn't join, we just never fathomed the possibility until Snake broke that "barrier."

Ryu didn't break any "no fighting game characters" rule because that never existed, that was fan speculation and misinformation.

Cloud didn't break any "must be on a Nintendo console" rule because that was never a thing.

Bayonetta didn't break any "must be an icon" rules, which was also fan speculation, as much as it pains me to say.

How did Villager break any "rules?" Sakurai merely stated before that he couldn't think of a moveset during Brawl.

All we know is that the Ballot stated "video game characters" and Sakurai laughed at the idea of non-video game characters.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Reggie is coming to Smash, guys.

He was one of the most requested characters in Smash 4, he is first party, iconic and deserving.
He even made a cameo in Miis's trailer, so yeah, I think Sakurai could maybe, start introducing real people, because Cloud broke all the rules.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
On another note, what are people thinking about in terms of final smash changes?

I would change Falco's from Landmaster to an Arwing. Basically like it is now in terms of function, but more air focused.
Maybe change Yoshi's to the Eggdozer from Yoshi's New Island?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I have an unlikely/weird prediction: I think we might bet CommanderVideo as a newcomer. I know it's super unlikely, but I just have this feeling he's gonna be one of the WTF characters. (though we haven't had any WTF 3rd parties have we?)

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Reggie is coming to Smash, guys.

He was one of the most requested characters in Smash 4, he is first party, iconic and deserving.
He even made a cameo in Miis's trailer, so yeah, I think Sakurai could maybe, start introducing real people, because Cloud broke all the rules.
Didn't you unlock him in Brawl?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I have an unlikely/weird prediction: I think we might bet CommanderVideo as a newcomer. I know it's super unlikely, but I just have this feeling he's gonna be one of the WTF characters. (though we haven't had any WTF 3rd parties have we?)
I don't really know what is that thing, but it got a trophy, so it would not be that ridiculous tbh.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I was joking around before because, honestly, people can have their opinions. Thinking Ganondorf should be reworked is fine, it's just an opinion.
But saying Ganondorf SHOULD be changed because YOU don't like it really gets on my nerves because there are plenty of people who ACTUALLY do like him as he is.
Doesn't help you saying that those who do like him are "part of the problem".
If you want Ganondorf to get reworked, there are better ways to go about it without insulting people.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. Main reason many characters have been rather unchanged in their Smash movesets is due to the people that are unwilling for a change in a moveset and the developers fear negative backlash due to it. “They are part of the problem”? Certainly feels like it. If that keeps up, Sakurai could easily get away with 10+ Marth (just to say a name) moveset variants and the conformists will eat it up. I’m a quality over quantity person so the idea of having more characters for the sake of having more characters grinds my gears quite a bit. The characters in question deserve better and both Ganondorf and Black Shadow certainly deserve better.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. Main reason many characters have been rather unchanged in their Smash movesets is due to the people that are unwilling for a change in a moveset and the developers fear negative backlash due to it. “They are part of the problem”? Certainly feels like it. If that keeps up, Sakurai could easily get away with 10+ Marth (just to say a name) moveset variants and the conformists will eat it up. I’m a quality over quantity person so the idea of having more characters for the sake of having more characters grinds my gears quite a bit. The characters in question deserve better and both Ganondorf and Black Shadow certainly deserve better.
Didn't Sakurai even state that he didn't like altering veteran movesets that much, because he knows some people really like them the way they are?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I could possibly see Sakurai changing his mind about Ridley, as he did with Villager. It's very unlikely, but not impossible.

I cannot possibly see Sakurai changing his mind on not including non-video game characters.

Can we talk about music for a second? Specifically, I really hope Multi-Man Melee 2 returns like it did in Smash 4, because I have that song set to max on Battlefield.

What music do you guys want to be in Smash 5? Can be returning or new.
I love this song so much.

I hope it returns just as much as I hope Melee's Metal Battle theme returns as well.

D

Deleted member

Do you guys want me to give up on the "Ridley licking" bet if Ridley gets in Smash? You should read this post and give me your thoughts. :p
Commander Video is honestly just... too random for me. Say Game and Watch and R.O.B, but they did not look as bizzare. I do not know why, a feeling is deep inside of me.
The thing with Goku is that rights and licensing are gonna be an absolute ***** to get just to have him appear in the game, let alone possible stages, Smash Run enemies, trophies, etc. There's so many legal hoops to jump through that it isn't even worth it in the grand scheme of things.

If you want Goku, go play Super Smash Flash 2. He's never coming to actual Smash.
I agree. It would take a lot to convince the DBZ creators to put Goku in Smash Brothers. Goku just is not worth it in Smash, plus he would be too powerful for Smash Brothers ( IDK )... :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hm, that's a loaded question, there's a lot of good music that I'd like to see. I think the 3 end boss themes from the last 3 Fire Emblem titles would be my top choices. We already have (ID) Purpose, that just leaves End of All and Twilight of the Gods, both being absolutely fantastic.
Shadows of Valentia has such an amazing soundtrack. There are so many songs from it that'd be great in Smash. Twilight of the Gods, Lord of a Dead Empire, The Scions' Dance in Purgatory, March for Deliverance, Unity...even the opening theme.

Honestly it's part of the reason I hope Celica makes the cut: so we can guarantee at least a few of these. :p

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
How about this...

We remove all nintendo characters and add only characters who originated from comics, manga, tv shows and movies! With the Gorillaz and Smokey Bear as guest characters. Sounds plausible to me right? RIGHT? RULEZ ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN!!1

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

True true, but Darth Vader is fourth party and Goku is closer to third party. Vader is less likely to be in Smash than winning the lottery yet it is interesting to see a legit mature person say they want Darth Vader in Smash Bros....
THERE'S NO FOURTH PARTY
Also I was ****posting

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom