• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Then there is more reason to not believe this leak. Not completely, for now, but not take it that seriously until it is completely debunked or the opposite, you know what I mean?
That's why I linked the post. This is a noteworthy rumor, and any developments on it's credibility should be made known, whether good or bad.

It shouldn't be discarded yet, but much skepticism should be used, now more than ever.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Yeah, but the ESRB leak happened pretty close to the Smash 3DS game launch. I don't remember what it was called but someone leaked Bowser Jr. way before and had the new Bowser color scheme as proof, but people (as myself) was still skeptical.

Let's not forget that the person who "predicted" Wii Fit Trainer, Miis and Megaman certainly knew stuff. He just mixed with false info to not be framed afterwards.

memoryman is to be ignored.For all things.

Jonneh, and resetERA staff, who have no relationsbip to MM, no matter whar he says are worth watching.

MM isnt the one with ****ing inside sources.
:061:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Why are some people still requesting Goku or even saying he can happen in 2018?

Everytime I see Goku in a top 10 list or something in Youtube I give a dislike and I report it for terrorism.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That's why I linked the post. This is a noteworthy rumor, and any developments on it's credibility should be made known, whether good or bad.

It shouldn't be discarded yet, but much skepticism should be used, now more than ever.
I didn't say it should be discarded. I just said it shouldn't be trusted completely thanks to those lies that happened, and the doubt on the source.

Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon Yeah, you're right about the time thing. We'll just have to wait and see.

Polan

Smash Lord
i remember the smash 4 roster being on the internet way before the esrb pics were released. would be hilarious if the entire roster for smash switch was also floating around on the web as someone's "speculation".

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Because Cloud and Bayonetta.....

Even though they're still Video Game characters first and foremost compared to Goku who's a Manga character first.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You guys really should be trying to guess Ridley's moveset instead of jostling over whether he is in or not.

Time will reveal truth or otherwise to the rumor.
ridleyisinpterdactlyscreech

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Why are some people still requesting Goku or even saying he can happen in 2018?

Everytime I see Goku in a top 10 list or something in Youtube I give a dislike and I report it for terrorism.
Ironnically Screwattack released a video today on their site about which characters they want to see in smash.
Goku is one of 'em.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Some people think he can happen because he is popular and is a Namco character and Xenoverse 2 did well in the Switch or something like that lol.
I mean, my speculation video had some odd choices I imagine but...really? What even.

Even though they're still Video Game characters first and foremost compared to Goku who's a Manga character first.
DS6-QRcWAAAuvad.jpg

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Not even remotely.

Cloud is a gaming icon and probably the most famous and instantly recognizable JRPG lead.

Bayonetta is a cult gaming icon whose franchise was saved by Nintendo and placed high in a fan ballot. She had two things going for her.

Goku is well Goku. He's not iconic to gaming, he's got hit games sure and FighterZ is certainly blowing up more than any Dragonball game before it. But Goku only works in the case of icondom in anime and manga.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Some people think he can happen because he is popular and is a Namco character and Xenoverse 2 did well in the Switch or something like that lol.
Imagine if Sakurai saw all the memes clamoring for Goku in Smash, and thought it was actual support.

Imagine him going up to the Shonen Jump execs and asking them to let him put Goku in Smash because "so many people want him".

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
memoryman is to be ignored.For all things.

Jonneh, and resetERA staff, who have no relationsbip to MM, no matter whar he says are worth watching.

MM isnt the one with ****ing inside sources.
:061:
This no one was given attention to him, jonneh is the real focus here and he was clearly leaking things in very clever ways. Emily's response also implies she knew what Jonneh did even if she was not sharing it publicly. The leakers are what should be the focus here not memoryman.

D

Deleted member

Why do people want Goku when Darth Vader is an objectively better choice?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
User was warned for this post
"Holy carp! Isn't that Mario over there?! That dude's like CRAZY famous! He might even be more famous than us!"

"Y'know, for a gaming celebrity, you'd think he'd want to wear something besides dirty overalls. Just sayin."

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Could you imagine someone actually went through the trouble to give birth to someone who eventually would request Goku for a smash game?

Man....

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah, but the ESRB leak happened pretty close to the Smash 3DS game launch. I don't remember what it was called but someone leaked Bowser Jr. way before and had the new Bowser color scheme as proof, but people (as myself) was still skeptical.

Let's not forget that the person who "predicted" Wii Fit Trainer, Miis and Megaman certainly knew stuff. He just mixed with false info to not be framed afterwards.
Yeah, it was Ninka. They also leaked Duck Hunt, Dark Pit, Shulk (technically as he was also mentioned in Gematsu's), Dr. Mario, the Koopaling alts, and the four remaining cuts. Vaanrose later backed them up as well.

The second one was Gematsu, which despite getting more debate, should also count since it only got Chrom (who we know was considered) and the Chorus Kids (whose series did have an icon) wrong. The rest such as both E3 batches, Little Mac, and Greninja (under "Pokémon from XY") were correct.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ridley Moveset

Slightly modified Ridley moveset from pre-Sm4sh

Built in Disadvantage: One jump without using Flight Mode

Up B Fly Mode: Launches Ridley into the air a good vertical distance with super armor. He then gains three jumps. Cannot be used again until he hits the ground.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A: Slash with a claw
A,A: Slash with a claw, then the other claw
A,A,A: Slash with a claw, then the other claw, then raises both claws above his head and smashes both into the floor. Rakes them backwards.

Toward A: Lashes out with his pointed tail. Good range, but one must be precise to make the best use of it.

Down A: While crouched, Ridley swipes one extended arm forward with outstretched claws. If sweet-spotted, the attack becomes a grab where upon Ridley will clutch the leg (or hover body in the case of R.O.B) and flip them high into the air.

Up A: Ridley curves his neck backwards while emitting fire in a smoldering arch similar to Samus's Up Smash.

Down Smash: Ridley rotates his body while emitting a stream of plasma fire at the ground. It leaves a circle of fire for a couple seconds that could damage others, but not Ridley (due to his scales we will say).

Up Smash: Fires a plasma sphere into the sky (the size and ascension of the attack depends on the charged power)

Forward Smash: Ridley opens his jaws. The orange buildup of fire in his throat can be seen. He lunges forward with a bite which causes an explosion upon impact.

Dash A: Ridley flaps his wings for a burst of speed and swings both his claws out before delivering a bite.

Aerials

Neutral Aerial: Snaps his jaws in front of him, then behind, then in front again in rapid succession. Made possible by this long neck.

Forward Aerial: Curves his neck back in an S shape, then lunges forward with a bite.

Back Aerial: A whip like attack with his tail. Good range with sweet-spot on tip.

Up Aerial: Slashes both claws upwards. When the claws from either hand clash at the apex, a fountain of sparks shoots upwards.

Down Aerial: Maneuvers his tail like a whip behind him before lashing it straight down, the spine stiffening. Great in the air, but the tail can be lodged in the floor if it connects with the ground.

Specials

B Plasma Shot: Fires a spread burst of three fire balls. No knockback or stun. However, they do slight splash damage when they collide with part of the stage resulting in a little stun and knockback. Angled down if Ridley is in the air and angled in straight cone pattern if on the ground.

B Plasma Beam (charged): Ridley can charge the shot into a beam. However, it cannot be stored. The beam shoots straight if on the ground and diagonal in the air. Does very good damage, but only has knockback and stun around Ridley's mouth (which would knock the victim into the rest of the attack).

Down B WingSpan: Ridley opens his wings. These are the effects.
•If on the ground, anyone that rolls past Ridley with his wings spread, hits the wing, has their momentum canceled and suffers stun.
•In the air, Ridley can use this move to cancel his momentum. Also, sends air dodgers into a brief helpless state.
•In a glide, Ridley can use this move to cancel his glide and create a shockwave that travels and does knockback depending on the duration of the glide.

Up B Fly Mode: Launches Ridley into the air a good vertical distance with super armor. He then gains three jumps. Cannot be used again until he hits the ground.

Toward B Dive Bomb (On the Ground): Ridley leaps high into the air and then dive bombs in a diagonal fashion either left or right until he smashes into the floor. Good knockback, but has downtime as Ridley as to recuperate from launching himself into the ground.

Toward B Dive Bomb (In the Air): Ridley automatically enters a dive bomb either left or right until he hits the floor.

Throws

Pummel: Ridley bites his victim.

Toward and Back Throw: Ridley jumps up, impales his victim with his tail, and drags them in the direction pressed. This direction can be changed midway in the animation. The opponent pops up and away afterwards. Good damage-racker.

Up Throw: Ridley flies up and off the screen with opponent. He then blocks the camera briefly as he flies toward the stage (in the direction the players are looking at the TV) and slams the victim into the spot he was grabbed.

Down Throw: Leaps on top of the opponent causing them to smash to the ground. Then springs himself upwards into the air. Does not use a jump.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
i remember the smash 4 roster being on the internet way before the esrb pics were released. would be hilarious if the entire roster for smash switch was also floating around on the web as someone's "speculation".
That's probably quite likely considering all the speculation

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I remember people not believing the 3DS leaks, saying all that about reused renders and edited Little Macs.

Even when the leaker uploaded a video, people said it was a Brawl mod haha.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
When you have hundreds upon hundreds of people making speculation rosters, statistically someone's bound to get it right eventually.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
RE: Ganon

I'll avoid talking about the "rework" idea in general because I have a heavy bias towards Falcondorf that's based mostly in that I just like the design. That having been said, the people advocating for Hyrule Warriors must be insane.
First of all, almost all of the movesets in HW are terrible as the basis for a fighting game character beyond the most basic extrapolation (I'd say "Imagine making a moveset based on Link's HW appearance," but you could probably make something better just using concept art...).
As an exaggerated hack-and-slash designed purely to be an empowerment fantasy, there is a severe dearth of meaningful content in the things they do, especially on a practical level. Put more simply, most of the moves that every character has amount to "Wave your weapon and things have hitsparks until they explode."
Edit: You can even see this in that gif posted earlier. What's the pitch for that being a cool design? He swings some swords and there's lightning/dark particle effects involved somehow. That's literally the extent of it.

There's no practical sense (e.g. They have Sheik frequently using a kunai, a stabbing weapon, to cut. See also anything Skull Kid does.)
There's no canonical sense (characters and what they do are mostly mishmashes of iconography to please fans)
There's no mechanical depth (see the weapon waving comment)

If you really based a character, almost any character, on their HW design, you'd probably get something that sells well, but once you stop being impressed by trail effects, hitsparks and explosions, you'd see that not only is it a poor way to convey a character, it's also pretty boring.

So if you want to scrap falcondorf for OoT Ganon, that's one thing and I don't agree, but at least then you're trying to make a coherent and meaningful character design.

And this is the part where I'm glad downvoting isn't a thing.

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
I remember people not believing the 3DS leaks, saying all that about reused renders and edited Little Macs.

Even when the leaker uploaded a video, people said it was a Brawl mod haha.
Rayman had a video, I think that fooled a lot of people.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Okay but how many of them got Cloud? Like 3?
Heh, probably something around that. Good luck finding a pre-Smash 4 reveal roster that included the Wii Fit Trainer too.

But still, all these ideas floatin' around, someone's gonna get it (mostly) right eventually.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
When you have hundreds upon hundreds of people making speculation rosters, statistically someone's bound to get it right eventually.
It'd be humorous if someone guessed the roster completely accurately, because they'd probably be like "Wait, I didn't want that character, gimme this one instead!"

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Suppose there was a smash ballot, and you got to pick one of each of the following for the new game:
Character
Stage
Mechanic (or remove a mechanic)
Rework a character/remove a character
Gonna skip the third because mechanics are of secondary importance to me personally. Gonna also cheat do a totally out there, never going to happen character and then a "within the bounds of probability" character.

"Never gonna happen" character: Parin from Gurumin.
Slightly more reasonable character: Sharena from FE Heroes.
Stage: A proper Bowser's Castle stage.
Rework: Give Mario his tornado back as a special, gosh dang it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Isn't it weird that Crash and even freakin' Bomberman are relevant again? The fact that they might even get considered for this game would have blown 2013 Me's mind. I got Megaman in the last game so my third party pick this time around is Shantae because, good lord, does she fit to the premise and scheme of Smash Bros well, not to mention all the awesome music she'd bring with her if she got in.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It'd be humorous if someone guessed the roster completely accurately, because they'd probably be like "Wait, I didn't want that character, gimme this one instead!"
"Yeah, I mean, I just kinda threw this list together because I couldn't think of enough characters to fill a whole roster, so I just chose some at random."
roster is completely accurate
"W-Wait, no, this isn't what I wanted!"

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
"Yeah, I mean, I just kinda threw this list together because I couldn't think of enough characters to fill a whole roster, so I just chose some at random."
roster is completely accurate
"W-Wait, no, this isn't what I wanted!"
If someone does guess it, it will definitely be someone who made the list of likely characters they don't want rather than unlikely characters they do.

Polan

Smash Lord
I meant an actual leaker who has real information posting his "speculation". It's a pretty common leaker tactic to post actual leaked information under the guise of speculation to throw the lawyers off your back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom