• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
The Inkling's use their Wii U "default" looks (in the trailer at least), much like the Villager used his City Folk (Wii) look in Smash 4, so essentially looks from a "generation" before. I wonder how early they were planned and/or if the Splatoon 2 default looks are in as costumes as well.

Abade

Smash Apprentice
Friendly reminder that Super Mario Oddysey was announced the same year it launched, yet was in development after 3D World was finished.

Maybe they were just being very secretive about this one.
As well as Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I remember people insisting that it would be delayed over and over but that didn't happen.
As well as:
Monster Hunter World.
Wolfenstein 2.
Every Assassins Creed.
Every COD.
Every Battlefield.
Every sports title.
Splatoon 2.
Arms.
Fallout 4
Skyrim
Resident Evil 7
etc

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The Inkling's use their Wii U "default" looks (in the trailer at least), much like the Villager used his City Folk (Wii) look in Smash 4, so essentially looks from a "generation" before. I wonder how early they were planned and/or if the Splatoon 2 default looks are in as costumes as well.
Then why was Link in his BOTW appearance

TheKingOfTown

Smash Apprentice
Probably should be an alternate costume regardless. Obviously BotW Link is the newest design, but the standard green tunic Link is way too iconic to not be the default skin even if it's a new game. Plus, if we go with BotW designs as the main ones we run into problems with Sheik and Ganondorf.
I'm a City fan too btw!!!!

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Maybe Nintendo pulled a Bethesda and kept Smash 5 under wraps until the right time. The copyright data is registered as 2018, yup it's a new game
It wouldn’t surprise me if they did.

A port wouldn’t be a bad idea but they can do better.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Be content not knowing if this is a half-step or full new game until E3, cause, despite people wanting to jump to conclusions, that's likely how long we're going to have to wait to find out.
This is called the speculation forum, not the "making sense" forum! >:()

Yeah, I think you're right. But it's still fun to think about. As long as we don't have people arguing and getting upset over it! :)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Since I'm back, I might as well add some of my thoughts about the upcoming new Smash Bros. game.

1. This game likely is being handled by the same staff as Smash 3DS/Wii U. This is for two reasons:
- The art style and general assets and looks in the teaser were remarkably similar to the CG trailers for Smash 3DS/Wii U. The flaming Smash logo is also very similar to the start of the various 3DS/Wii U trailers.
- Smash 6 rumors began circulating around the time when DLC for Smash 3DS/Wii U was still in development. This was in 2015, so three years ago. Three years is plenty of time to develop a new game. It's likely that the staff could have been finishing development on 3DS/Wii U DLC and jumping right into the development of Smash Switch.

2. If this isn't an enhanced port, it's very likely reusing plenty of assets from the previous game. It being developed by the same staff, as rumors have suggested, likely means a lot of content could be recycled. Think about how Splatoon 2 has plenty of reused assets from Splatoon 1 and likely runs in the same engine. Could be a similar case here, especially if the same staff at Bandai Namco is developing this title. Would make development much swifter and, as a result, less prone to cut content and other complications.

3. As shown in the teaser, Link is now sporting his Breath of the Wild look, which suggests that characters might have been changed once more. The gameplay may have seen some adjustments as well, although I don't expect a big change from the previous game.

4. The Smash Ballot was held in 2015 roughly around the same time this new title may have started development concurrently with the last batches of Smash 3DS/Wii U content, namely Bayonetta, who was chosen from the ballot. This game's newcomers are very likely to be heavily influenced from the ballot submissions, so we may expect some neat surprises. However, Sakurai is still directing, so an odd ball will very likely be thrown at us as well.

5. Expect the return of Ice Climbers. =P

Anyway, it's good to be back. Sakurai's wild ride may have taken a roughly two year break, but we board on the hype train once more. I expect this speculation period to be much shorter than any Smash speculation before.This might be the first game in the series to be announced in the same year as its release.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Could be a new costume.
Or even the default design. Ports can change lots of things.

Another key thing is that BOTW Link is highly popular right now. Port or not, pushing it is a good idea. Especially for a 2018 release, and the fact the game is still very popular right now, as well as has active DLC.

We'll find out soon enough though. Probably at e3. It could be a port or new. I'd rather wait till a proper announcement or something made way more clear(and the dates clearly aren't helpful, nor is new costumes that was going to happen in an updated port anyway, so...)

D

Deleted member

Dang, this thread went nuts. I was live, just at NintendoZone 6.0.
I am really hoping it is a new game. We finally achieved our dream after a long period of time.....
INKLING CONFIRMED! Now for some more hopes!

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is called the speculation forum, not the "making sense" forum! >:()

Yeah, I think you're right. But it's still fun to think about. As long as we don't have people arguing and getting upset over it! :)
YEAH THE SPECULATION FORUM NOT THE DEFINITIVE PRESUMPTION FORUM

But lol yeh you right, I just hope to mitigate some of the less sensible claims.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Posting it here as well. Found it on /v/:

Shulk is Fox, Jiggs looks to be Kirby and that doesn't look like Bowser Jr. to me.
Zelda is shiek and zelda is beside samus.
Bowser Jr. might be Wario...

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I am nearly positive this will just be a port. BotW Link isn't convincing at all that it's not. Why is that more convincing than the presence of new characters?

At best, I would say this is a substantial expansion in terms of characters, stages, and modes, but still Smash 4 at its core. Like I would expect the same engine, same title theme, etc. I could be wrong, but I feel very sure of this.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Posting it here as well. Found it on /v/:

Shulk is Fox, Jiggs looks to be Kirby and that doesn't look like Bowser Jr. to me.
"Big Dumb Koopa Face"... that's just Yoshi. Are people so excited they forgot the names of these characters?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
YEAH THE SPECULATION FORUM NOT THE DEFINITIVE PRESUMPTION FORUM

But lol yeh you right, I just hope to mitigate some of the less sensible claims.
Yeah I know. I was here for the leakocalypse. (And I remember your "involvement" and you being harassed lol). I always counted on you as a voice of reason. Glad to know you're still around!

D

Deleted member

Moderators, stay strong.
We are still on a large bumpy road of hype. We all should be hyped.
i want one thing and one thing only

ICE CLIMBERS
I think they should be guaranteed at this point :). They did not make it in due to technical issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Master Chief?!! While Halo is an iconic franchise, it's never been released on a Nintendo console, only Xbox and PC
...And?

That's not a requirement, it's just something they looked at. Also, Master Chief has made a cameo via a Minecraft costume on the Switch, so it's not like he's had no overall appearances(as the requirement before we had more proper information was that they needed an appearance, as in the character, on a Nintendo system. Mind you, that was an old inproper translation, so whether or not it entirely matters has yet to be seen).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think the silhouettes are all veterans. From what I can tell, the silhouettes are (from left to right):

Bowser Jr.
Pit
Donkey Kong
Falco
Peach
Shulk
Ness
Mario
BOTW Link
Luigi
BOTW Zelda
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus
Marth
Bowser
Fox
Captain Falcon
Wario

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
splatoon 2 was basically a port with extra content
theyre not gonna make a brand new game in two years esp with the enormous roster s4 has

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I can't take it anymore, I am breathing too hard from the excitement today.

Indeed and I missed you!
Heh. I missed the Smash speculations days with you guys. With FGO and FEH taking plenty of my time and with no Smash news until today, I thought it was better to wait for new Smash news to actually hit before coming back to Smashboards.

Seeing as this is most likely a new game, will they have their own line of amiibo...? I mean, the Smash amiibo line is nearly 4 years old.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
You are right. Looks like Wario.

They are not going to hint newcomers through silhouettes.
You’re still here ol friend? Good stuff holding it down, nothing like an old fashioned speculation thread.

Anyway, Icies please

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the fact that the symbol looks just like it did before and that what i can make out smaus is using the same artwork (could be placeholder) and the short development time compared to previous installments is what leads me to think its a port

but you never know

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You don't know that.
Actually yeah we do.