• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
I think Smash reveals are going to kill me one of these days. I'm still recovering.

You don't know that.
Actually...

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
The general consensus is that this is just a port?
I don't think it's a port. Nintendo knows that Smash games are headliner events for each system, and also, they're being very coy about not revealing a subtitle for the game. I don't think they'd waste time doing a port when they could just make a new game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You’re still here ol friend? Good stuff holding it down, nothing like an old fashioned speculation thread.

Anyway, Icies please
I have been here on and off for the past four years. I guess I am back for more speculation now that Smash Switch is finally officially announced.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Actually yeah we do.

I suppose this means Jigglypuff buffs are permanently deconfirmed.

D

Deleted member

Actually yeah we do.

I am happy to see Sakurai working on it. Sakurai is a great developer and I am sure he can pull of Smash for Switch really well....
However this means that Ridley has a very unlikely chance of getting added, or might even be guaranteed of not getting added.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I am positive this is Smash 5 and not Smash 4 Switch. The logos are different.

Yeah, we are gonna rehash the logo argument for months to come. :troll:
At the very least until we get actual confirmation.

As for characters, I just want Lana and either Itsuki or Tsubasa.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
The person marked as Shulk seems to be Fox, but there also seems to be a set of ears between DK and Peach. Could be her parasol, but I don't think the silhouette matches.

D

Deleted member

updated image.

You know, the one behind Bowser and Captain Falcon who was thought to be Shulk might actually be Diddy Kong or Fox.
Edit: If you look closely I can see a part of Diddy Kong's mouth though, but the "two dark parts on top" make it look like Fox.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You don't know that.
Excuse me? I'm quite sure I know what I'm talking about.

PsychoJosh

I'm not that excited because it's still unlikely that I get what I ever get what I want from Smash which is Wario Land Wario.

No more bikes. No more floaty physics. No more farting. If he doesn't get his proper Wario Land combat moveset this time it's going straight in the trash like every game since Brawl.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You know, the one behind Bowser and Captain Falcon who was thought to be Shulk might actually be Diddy Kong or Fox.
Edit: If you look closely I can see a part of Diddy Kong's mouth though, but the "two dark parts on top" make it look like Fox.
that explains why i thought he looked like nia

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
Wow it's been a long time.

Anyways, I'm curious as to why people doubt a new game because the time frame is too small. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't game companies begin development of future projects way before the current one is finished? It doesn't seem that unreasonable. Especially if the graphics engine is mostly the same.

christyalmeth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3332-4545-9808
Hey guys, I'm so excited today is my birthday and I'm happy to celebrate it with you and this announcement. The best birthday gift ever! I made an image of what and who I think the shadows could be in the picture of the announcement.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm not that excited because it's still unlikely that I get what I ever get what I want from Smash which is Wario Land Wario.

No more bikes. No more floaty physics. No more farting. If he doesn't get his proper Wario Land combat moveset this time it's going straight in the trash like every game since Brawl.
Boy you must be fun at parties

D

Deleted member

I like Wario's move-set as it already is, and Smash for Wii U was not as bad. You are going to think a game is bad just because tehre is one character you do not think has a goof move-set? Wario's move-set perfectly fits his Wario-Ware self.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It's been quite some time since I've last posted. But the announcement drawn me back. Either way if it's a new game I just want Lucas back in. Oh and a Tales Of character too.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I've been on a news blackout, and I literally just found out about it a minute ago. To be honest, I was on team 2019, so this was a huge shock to me. Inkling was always expected, so no surprise there. Now the question is the port vs. sequel debate. We also probably know Nintendo's big E3 game.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I am nearly positive this will just be a port. BotW Link isn't convincing at all that it's not. Why is that more convincing than the presence of new characters?.
Then...why hiding the existing character models and bother making a new logo? Well, only time will tell.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let me say that while I really really dig all of the Inklings clothing and customization options, I'm thrilled they went with the default Splatoon 1 look.

It's just so clean and, for being all of three years old, nevertheless classic.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
However this means that Ridley has a very unlikely chance of getting added, or might even be guaranteed of not getting added.
Even as someone who's been supporting Ridley for as long as I have I don't think I'd want anyone but Sakurai at the helm. It's been a bit of a heartbreaking campaign to be part of on multiple occasions, and I've had my conflicting opinions on Sakurai in the past because of it, especially last time around where I didn't like any of the newcomers, but the overall direction of the game is still the most important part of the game, and Sakurai is without a shadow of a doubt the best man for that job.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think it's a port. Nintendo knows that Smash games are headliner events for each system, and also, they're being very coy about not revealing a subtitle for the game. I don't think they'd waste time doing a port when they could just make a new game.
At the very least they may not want to market it as a port, if enough changes and additions have been made.

There's a very thin line between "port" and "sequel with reused assets/engine".

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Updated to include Fox.
Also some of the obscurities have been boxed, could be nothing, could be something.
(right click open in new tab) I may have posted too many imgs if the file doesnt show.

Last edited:

christyalmeth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3332-4545-9808
Wow it's been a long time.

Anyways, I'm curious as to why people doubt a new game because the time frame is too small. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't game companies begin development of future projects way before the current one is finished? It doesn't seem that unreasonable. Especially if the graphics engine is mostly the same.
it has to be a new game because Bamco isn't mentioned at all, when they did most of the work for Smash 4. Definitely not a port since the dev isn't credited.

PsychoJosh

I like Wario's move-set as it already is, and Smash for Wii U was not as bad. You are going to think a game is bad just because tehre is one character you do not think has a goof move-set? Wario's move-set perfectly fits his Wario-Ware self.
I don't care. WarioWare is not his original series, Wario Land is his original series. It deserves more recognition than WarioWare. He was an adventurer long before he was a stupid joke character. His moveset is total garbage right now, just limits him to being an eternally low-tier gimmicky joke character instead of a real fighter. Right now it's like Mario getting a moveset based on his sports games instead of his adventure games, it's completely outrageous and wrong.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Updated to include Fox.
Also some of the obscurities have been boxed, could be nothing, could be something.
(right click open in new tab) I may have posted too many imgs if the file doesnt show.

To me it looks like the shape to the right of Peach is just part of the fire.

The rest looks about right though.

IronTed

Smash Ace
In all probability they will reuse the Smash Wii U engine. They'll probably market it as an iterative sequel, as in it won't be a groundbreaking sequel. And given Smash 4's overall reception, I think most people would be fine with that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
it has to be a new game because Bamco isn't mentioned at all, when they did most of the work for Smash 4. Definitely not a port since the dev isn't credited.
You might want to compare copyright in the Smash 4 trailers sir.

Cause this copyright actually means nothing.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
That image is going to be the bane of our existence for the next few months.

It could be a new game but I feel like that might be a bit loose statement. No doubt they would be using quite a bit of Wii U assets because the timeframe from DLC onwards is ~2.5 years if the game releases in Q4 of this year.

Regardless, Inklings are there, and I guess BOTW Link might be the primary Link now (Toon Link carries on the old traditions, probably), and we're probably going to get some folks like Pyra, Spring Man and the assortments.

Either way, my gut says it's an extension of Smash for Wii U with anywhere from 6-12 new characters, and probably branded as a new title/definitive experience. rip bayo though, she's getting nerfed to the ground probably

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom