• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
it has to be a new game because Bamco isn't mentioned at all, when they did most of the work for Smash 4. Definitely not a port since the dev isn't credited.
Just went through the Villager trailer, Bamco was not on the copyright.

Although, I recall an article that said Bamco was working on it first.

Last edited:

christyalmeth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3332-4545-9808
All these returning members... It's like a happy family reunion!
I'm happy to be back I took hiatus because of my school, but now Smash is back so am I. It was kind of dry, but now it's all back together again. It's great what new announcements can do :4kirby:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
last time we had six third party characters, wonder how many therell be this time

what with all the games coming to switch who know who well get

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Excuse me? I'm quite sure I know what I'm talking about.

Hopefully "working" doesn't mean directing.

D

Deleted member

Even as someone who's been supporting Ridley for as long as I have I don't think I'd want anyone but Sakurai at the helm. It's been a bit of a heartbreaking campaign to be part of on multiple occasions, and I've had my conflicting opinions on Sakurai in the past because of it, especially last time around where I didn't like any of the newcomers, but the overall direction of the game is still the most important part of the game, and Sakurai is without a shadow of a doubt the best man for that job.
I am not a Ridley supporter, I just wanted to mention Ridley will most likely not be added.
I agree that Sakurai is the best man for the job. I love Sakurai as a developer, Sakurai deserves even more love and praise. Smash for Switch is looking so hype.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Has this been posted yet? Most convincing thing yet that it might be a sequel (and I've been pretty convinced up til now that it was a port).

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/971886565872955393

It's a translation of a tweet by Sakurai:

"While we haven't gotten to the point where we can announce the game's title, I've been working on the title in silence day after day. Please look forward to new information and when the title goes on sale!!"

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll be completely honest, I am shocked that this is happening so fast.

Even faster than Pokemon of all things.

But that aside, I want to see more of Inkling in action before I see them as main material.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's just the copyright for the game. Namco doesn't own any part of the game. They're just, possibly, the dev.

It's not even copyright for the characters, otherwise they would've needed to include like Game Freak/TPC, IS, etc. (assuming those shadows were correctly determined).

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I have been here on and off for the past four years. I guess I am back for more speculation now that Smash Switch is finally officially announced.
Yeah once the roster for 4 was announced I stopped coming by, same cycle with brawl, probably the same here haha

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Has this been posted yet? Most convincing thing yet that it might be a sequel (and I've been pretty convinced up til now that it was a port).

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/971886565872955393

It's a translation of a tweet by Sakurai:

"While we haven't gotten to the point where we can announce the game's title, I've been working on the title in silence day after day. Please look forward to new information and when the title goes on sale!!"
I don't see how anything here would be different should it be an enhanced port.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
One thing I would hope for is, if customization were to return, make the moves easier to unlock.

How would that happen? Few ideas:

1. A Custom Moves Store using in game gold (no micro transactions)

2. No dupes when getting moves. You get a new move? Congrats, no dupes!

3. Having a 'moves' spot on the slot machine (like how trophies and custom parts currently have it in classic mode)

JIO_M

Smash Rookie
It could go either way at this point.Deluxe port with stuff with 3DS and Wii U plus Splatoon and bunch of new stuff to help it sell or just brand new game(or maybe something in between???Thats probably the case going by the Emily leak)

Though when could Sakurai have the time to develop this?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
"bye Ryu"? Already? Man I forgot how fast people jump to conclusions around here during speculation. Phew, it hasn't even been a whole two hours and we're already ruling out character returns...

christyalmeth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3332-4545-9808
Let me say that while I really really dig all of the Inklings clothing and customization options, I'm thrilled they went with the default Splatoon 1 look.

It's just so clean and, for being all of three years old, nevertheless classic.
I agree the Splatoon design is really catching on to me. At first I thought it was childish, but the more I see it the more cool it looks. It's just so different from what Nintendo normally does and it looks iconic and classic to me too

D

Deleted member

Guys, the trophy display was probably not all of the characters. Maybe the veterans or something. I am sure that there is more than what the trophy section in the fire indicates. I am hoping for no cuts at all either.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
So...it finally happened! And right off the bat, Nintendo's hitting us with confirmation of Inklings. Neato!

Looks like a certain genie has an extra chance to get in, no matter how minimal it may be. Other than that, I'm really content. How's that Decidueye lookin' anyway?

Ah, who am I kidding, where's Misty when you need her?!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Bye Ryu
It was a good run
What basis do you have to say that Ryu isn't in this game?

If anything, I think ALL the third party characters are coming back, with even more on top of them. Nintendo would be foolish to not see the enormous sales potential of these characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that these Nintendo characters and third-party characters have good chances of getting in Smash Switch just because they were in today's Nintendo Direct... the same Nintendo Direct that announced Smash Switch.

Confirmed newcomers
  • Inklings (Splatoon 2)
Possible Nintendo newcomers
  • Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby Star Allies)
  • Captain Toad (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker)
  • Dillon (Dillon’s Dead-Heat Breakers)
  • Spring Man (Arms)
  • Waluigi (Mario Tennis Aces)
Possible third-party newcomers
  • Amaterasu (Okami HD)
  • Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy)
  • Solaire of Astora (Dark Souls Remastered)
  • Travis Touchdown (Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes)

JIO_M

Smash Rookie
"bye Ryu"? Already? Man I forgot how fast people jump to conclusions around here during speculation. Phew, it hasn't even been a whole two hours and we're already ruling out character returns...
Yeah it is really really weird.Like I said before, its clear that were going to be a hybrid of a new game and Smash 4 Deluxe.Gives Sakurai time to not spontaneously go mad.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
One thing I would hope for is, if customization were to return, make the moves easier to unlock.

How would that happen? Few ideas:

1. A Custom Moves Store using in game gold (no micro transactions)

2. No dupes when getting moves. You get a new move? Congrats, no dupes!

3. Having a 'moves' spot on the slot machine (like how trophies and custom parts currently have it in classic mode)
Also I hope they will expand the moveset from 3x3 to 5x5

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I just feel there's a good chance Ryu gets axed
As opposed to saying x pool of chars (like Captain Toad of all chars) as possible newcomers

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just feel there's a good chance Ryu gets axed
As opposed to saying x pool of chars (like Captain Toad of all chars) as possible newcomers
You haven't just jumped the gun, you've sprinted completely past it.

Let's wait until we actually know a little more about this game, hey? What's the harm?

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I don't see how anything here would be different should it be an enhanced port.
Yeah I guess I consider it at least an indication that it is a more enhanced port than I was suspecting. My initial thoughts were literally Smash 4 + skins + Inklings, which is pretty low effort. If Sakurai has been working as hard as he claims, it might be a bit more than that.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Smash is almost an instant purchase in my perspective. Let's see what this new release has in store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom