• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It's genuinely shocking that DK only has two reps, considering how big of an IP it is. I'm aware the roster will never be "balanced" (whatever that means), but it feels like all big IP's deserve more than 2 reps.

Edit: Assuming the IP has more than 2 viable characters, of course.
I think another thing holding the series back from getting more reps is that it's inherently tied to Mario. I mean, if we count Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario as one series, then that's 11 whole characters in the Smash 4 roster.

I don't think that's strictly true, but that's what it certainly feels like.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I think another thing holding the series back from getting more reps is that it's inherently tied to Mario. I mean, if we count Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario as one series, then that's 11 whole characters in the Smash 4 roster.

I don't think that's strictly true, but that's what it certainly feels like.
I'm okay with Mario having more reps than anyone else. it's Nitnendo's flagship title. The Super Smash Bros series even takes it's name after the Marios.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm okay with Mario having more reps than anyone else. it's Nitnendo's flagship title. The Super Smash Bros series even takes it's name after the Marios.
I mean I'm certainly not complaining either - I just think that's part of the reason the Mario subseries tend to be ignored in terms of characters.

D

Deleted member

Everyone talking like the only possible DK reps are K Rool and Dixie and Funky Mode.

Cranky has a cane!
I've been one to advocate for Cranky for a while.

But the hip new thing is Funky and his surfboard. :p

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Skull Kid has usurped Tingle for front cover of Hyrule Warriors

Darunia is also gone now and Ravio, Marin and Linkle are also added

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Direct musings pertaining to Smash:

-Hyrule Warriors overstayed its welcome but I don't mind since that game introduced a lot of cool movesets for a lot of cool characters.
If we're going by strictly time based relevance, Hyrule Warriors is now more relevant than BoTW.
If Hyrule Warriors gets a proper sequel I think we can stop ruling out Hyrule Warriors content.

-Funky Kong is the new Cranky Kong

-Petey Piranha now made the jump to Switch, making this the third generation of Petey Piranha goodness.
People say he's only relevant on GameCube but he still made a bunch of appearances after that, both main games and spin-offs
I think he's a good dark horse candidate and if Nabbit refuses to show up this year I'll ride the Petey Piranha train all the way to the end.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Skull Kid has usurped Tingle for front cover of Hyrule Warriors

Darunia is also gone now and Ravio, Marin and Linkle are also added
That looks pretty cool because it shows the highly relevant characters of each game represented on this one + the OCs

Where's Funky tho.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I see a lot of people saying that a Smash port is more likely than ever. Personally, I think it's the opposite. Although ports are great for quickly pumping out some "new" games and getting easy cash, they hurt the sales of future games. Take Mario Kart for example. If Nintendo were to release a new Mario Kart this upcoming Fall, do you think it would sell just as well if they didn't release MK8D as one of the first Switch games? Probably not; the game would likely have sold much more. Now I'm not saying MK8D was a bad decision, because it wasn't. Clearly Nintendo didn't have many games planned for the first few months of the Switch, so a port of a popular game like Mario Kart would hold everyone over until new games arrived (Same thing can be applied to Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors while we wait for Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4.) Unfortunately, this port puts the future of the Mario Kart series in an awkward position. If another MK game is released too close to the port, sales will be effected. If it gets released too close to the end of the Switch's lifespan, the interest in the console won't be as strong. Seeing how the Switch is about to turn a year old and we still don't even know if a new MK game is in the works, imagine what would happen if Nintendo were to release a Smash port somewhere in between July 2018 and December 2018. Unless they don't have any plans for making Smash Switch, it would seem like a poor decision at this point.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I see a lot of people saying that a Smash port is more likely than ever. Personally, I think it's the opposite. Although ports are great for quickly pumping out some "new" games and getting easy cash, they hurt the sales of future games. Take Mario Kart for example. If Nintendo were to release a new Mario Kart this upcoming Fall, do you think it would sell just as well if they didn't release MK8D as one of the first Switch games? Probably not; the game would likely have sold much more. Now I'm not saying MK8D was a bad decision, because it wasn't. Clearly Nintendo didn't have many games planned for the first few months of the Switch, so a port of a popular game like Mario Kart would hold everyone over until new games arrived (Same thing can be applied to Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors while we wait for Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4.) Unfortunately, this port puts the future of the Mario Kart series in an awkward position. If another MK game is released too close to the port, sales will be effected. If it gets released too close to the end of the Switch's lifespan, the interest in the console won't be as strong. Seeing how the Switch is about to turn a year old and we still don't even know if a new MK game is in the works, imagine what would happen if Nintendo were to release a Smash port somewhere in between July 2018 and December 2018. Unless they don't have any plans for making Smash Switch, it would seem like a poor decision at this point.
It should also be noted that some Wii U titles focus a lot on the Wii U GamePad, and/or the collection of Miiverse stamps. With Miiverse terminated, you pretty much lose one of Super Mario 3D World's major features. Additionally, Super Mario 3D World actually requires the Wii U GamePad to complete certain courses, so it's probably one of those games that will never see a Nintendo Switch port.

Likewise, Star Fox Zero heavily relies on the Wii U GamePad, so it too likely won't see a Nintendo Switch port. And of course, a Wii U game that has mixed reviews (some videos even suggest that Star Fox Zero is among the worst games of 2016, which is quite harsh for a decently good game) probably isn't worth porting anyway.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm torn about the idea of a Smash port. With all these Wii U ports happening, a "Smash 4 definite edition" is something that definitely could still happen, moreso now than before... but then again, I feel like a whole new Smash would pretty much be the BotW/Odyssey (as in: big selling title) of whatever year they decide to release it on. I'm not sure if releasing a port on Switch now just to get a new game later down the line is any good either. I don't really know what to expect, really haha.

As for the Wii U ports in general, I feel like it's a really good idea to fill in any gaps they have now and also give them time to polish any actual new games rather than rush them. The Switch userbase right now is pretty much the same as the Wii U's whole lifespan so the ports will definitely get played now and in the future, and it's a great opportunity to play these gems that so many missed because they were on a dying system. That said, after DKC:TF and HW (and Bayonetta) there really aren't too many Wii U games they could port at this point. I think the "actual" Mario games will be one-off's and any games that heavily use the GamePad might not make the jump, like Star Fox Zero. I don't think Yoshi or Pikmin will get ported either as they both (apparently?) have new games in development already. I also don't think Wind Waker or Twilight Princess will get releases yet again. So that leaves us... what? Captain Toad? Super Mario Maker? Paper Mario? Xenoblade X? And even those are questionable, so this year could be the last shot of any Wii U ports.

I'd enjoy ports of Wonderful 101 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions to be honest, would give me a reason to actually get around playing those games haha!

And as a side note, with the recent news: Detective Pikachu alt/costume for Pikachu, please.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
A thing you people forget about the whole port or new game scenario is that both 4 and Brawl were technically held back by their console's backwards compatibilty.

Most Wii models can play Melee with actual GC controllers and the ones who can't were released a while after Brawl itself. Brawl is still the best-selling fighting game ever.

The Wii U can play Brawl (and mods like Project M). Sure, Brawl's not the best Smash game ever (but PM is really freaking good), the lack of online due to the WFC's shutdown helped a lot and Smash 4 generated a LOT of hype, but the point of there already "technically" having a Smash game on the Wii U was there.

The Switch lacks this compatibility, but a port would be more or less the same argument, with the exception that you'd need to buy the game again, which could turn some people off, but ultimately, it'd still be the third console in a row with two Smash games (technically speaking).

However, if they do a good enough job at marketing the Smash 5 with loads of hype, a port would not have that much of an effect as we think.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
That applies to making 2 brand new games as well. MK and Smash are once in a generation titles, released early in a system's life, as evergreen titles that sells for years (indeed MK Wii still ships copies nearly a decade later). They don't want to cannibalize their sales potential, given the crazy roi these enhanced ports give them

MK8D exists largely because of what Yabuki wanted, but also the peculiar state of the Wii U in general. MK9 will likely be next gen, and there's nothing awkward about it.

At this point we get either Smash DX or Smash 5, not both.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, after seeing yesterday’s Direct, I think we have more potential third-party competitors:

Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters because of SNK Heroines, and the fact that SNK has made King of Fighters for multiple Nintendo consoles.

The Chosen Undead from Dark Souls as a potential second Bandai-Namco representative, competing against Heihachi from Tekken and KOS-MOS from Xenosaga. I’m thinking this character should be in because Dark Souls sparked the generation of “Souls-like” games.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That applies to making 2 brand new games as well. MK and Smash are once in a generation titles, released early in a system's life, as evergreen titles that sells for years (indeed MK Wii still ships copies nearly a decade later).

MK8D exists largely because of what Yabuki wanted, but also the peculiar state of the Wii U in general. MK9 will likely be next gen, and there's nothing awkward about it.

At this point we get either Smash DX or Smash 5, not both.
I agree that we're likely getting only one of the two, but when we have a popular console like the Switch, it seems incredibly strange to not get a new MK or Smash game. Historically, those franchises do a fantastic job in promoting the sales of Nintendo's consoles and handhelds. From my perspective, Nintendo missed a huge opportunity if they've already decided to use ports and to lay off a new MK or Smash game until the next gen.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I agree that we're likely getting only one of the two, but when we have a popular console like the Switch, it seems incredibly strange to not get a new MK or Smash game. Historically, those franchises do a fantastic job in promoting the sales of Nintendo's consoles and handhelds. From my perspective, Nintendo missed a huge opportunity if they've already decided to use ports and to lay off a new MK or Smash game until the next gen.
I'm 90% sure Mario Kart 8 Deluxe started development as Mario Kart 9 (or whatever). Then, when they managed to finish Battle Mode, they decided "hey, maybe we can pawn this off as a port for extra sales and help the Switch early on."

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And as a side note, with the recent news: Detective Pikachu alt/costume for Pikachu, please.
I had no idea what you were talking about until I saw this today.

Another amiibo to add to my collection. Kinda came out of nowhere, but I'm glad his game is coming overseas (Because the movie would be even weirder if it didn't). I could definitely see Pikachu getting a detective cap alt. in Smash now.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't think it will be a port I think it will be a new game.

We have 6 months till June,Would be cool if it was announced then.:kirby64:
It would also be way too soon unless Sakurai is NOT working on it.

Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen, but that's the only way it could be revealed this year.

He has his own project in the works and wouldn't start juggling between two games at a time, especially if one of those games is a huge project like Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It should also be noted that some Wii U titles focus a lot on the Wii U GamePad, and/or the collection of Miiverse stamps. With Miiverse terminated, you pretty much lose one of Super Mario 3D World's major features. Additionally, Super Mario 3D World actually requires the Wii U GamePad to complete certain courses, so it's probably one of those games that will never see a Nintendo Switch port.

Likewise, Star Fox Zero heavily relies on the Wii U GamePad, so it too likely won't see a Nintendo Switch port. And of course, a Wii U game that has mixed reviews (some videos even suggest that Star Fox Zero is among the worst games of 2016, which is quite harsh for a decently good game) probably isn't worth porting anyway.
Just thought of something: does Smash U not require the use of the GamePad to create stages? Somebody correct me, a 56-year-old lady, on this but by this logic would this reduce if not eliminate the chance of the game to be ported?

Sayonara :kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Just thought of something: does Smash U not require the use of the GamePad to create stages? Somebody correct me, a 56-year-old lady, on this but by this logic would this reduce if not eliminate the chance of the game to be ported?

Stage Builder could be another thing that hinders the chances of a Smash 4 port because of the lack of touchscreen.

Then again a Super Mario Maker port may happen somewhere down the line so we'll never know for sure.

Last edited:

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
It would also be way too soon unless Sakurai is NOT working on it.

Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen, but that's the only way it could be revealed this year.

He has his own project in the works and wouldn't start juggling between two games at a time, especially if one of those games is a huge project like Smash.
Oh I had no idea he was working on something XD,I agree it would be to soon,I can't wait tho for it to be on Switch.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

In all fairness, all that was needed for Stage Builder was the GamePad's touch screen. A workaround can be found for this, like motion controls or stuff like that.

Oh I had no idea he was working on something XD,I agree it would be to soon,I can't wait tho for it to be on Switch.
Well, there is ALSO a chance of Sakurai not being asked to work on it too for one simple reason; Iwata, the one man who always wanted Sakurai to be the director of a new Smash game, is no longer in this world.

Nowadays, it's not impossible for Nintendo to just ignore Sakurai and get someone else for the next Smash.

Last edited:

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Well, there is ALSO a chance of Sakurai not being asked to work on it too for one simple reason; Iwata, the one man who always wanted Sakurai to be the director of a new Smash game, is no longer in this world.

Nowadays, it's not impossible for Nintendo to just ignore Sakurai and get someone else for the next Smash.
It wouldn't be the same with out Sakurai :/.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Funky now has serious movelist potential for Smash!

I've always been an advocate for Funky Kong in Smash, he's not the top of my list but he's definitely in my top 10.

Now along with his fruit weapons from DK64 he can also use his tricky air surfboard. What a cool guy,

IronTed

Smash Ace
That is true, but MK8D is selling hardware like a brand new Mario Kart game in the first place, despite being a port. If it fulfills the role of a brand new game with virtually no development cost, why not let it run its full course?

I still contend Smash 4 is fundamentally different though in terms of not being nearly as handicapped, although the Hyrule Warriors port changes this dynamic somewhat.

And I also believe a Smash DX would not make sense after 2018. If it were to happen, it should be sooner than later.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Brawl never needed a touch screen for its Stage Builder, but the features were more limited when compared to Smash Wii U's Stage Builder.

Also, much like how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe completely replaced Battle Mode, a Smash Switch port might not have all the stuff that Smash Wii U offered.

D

Deleted member

Obnoxious fans: "WE WANT ANOTHER DK CHARACTER!"

Sakurai: "Ok."

Obnoxious fans: -******** and screaming that Sakurai doesn't care about them because it's not K. Rool or Dixie-
The truth is right in my face. That is actually a nice background for a Smash for Switch game despite the copy and paste ( which is okay ). Also a Funky mode would be fun, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

Here's a new thread to freshen up:

Quote 8 newcomers you think are among the most likely, no more no less, with a few rules:
- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed

I start with:

- Paper Mario (Mario)
- Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
- Sylux (Metroid)
- Decidueye (Pokémon)
- Rex & Pyra duo (Xenoblade)
- Takamaru (Murasame Castle)
- Inkling (Splatoon)
- Spring Man (ARMS)

Also still looking for someone who's willing to rate my latest roster.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Quote 8 newcomers you think are among the most likely, no more no less, with a few rules:
- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed

I start with:

- Paper Mario (Mario)
- Sylux (Metroid)
- Decidueye (Pokémon)
- Inkling (Splatoon)
- Spring Man (ARMS)

- Inkling
- Spring Man
- Isabelle
- New Pokémon (Decidueye if we had to choose right now)
- New Fire Emblem character (Celica if we had to choose right now)
- One of the Champions (Mipha or Daruk IMO)
- Takamaru
- Captain Toad

If the "New X" ones don't count, swap them for Rex+Pyra and Dixie Kong.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, times change.

Yes, it wouldn't be the same, but it would be an inevitable scenario due to one sad, but truthful fact; no one is immortal.
I knew Nintendo was headed in a different direction the second the current president, Tatsumi Kimishima, announced a renewed interest in the film industry and a desire to acquire more mature titles for the Switch's library. He seems to present himself as a serious business man. If push comes to shove, I don't think he'll have a problem replacing Sakurai with someone else.

- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed
- Pauline
- BotW Champion (preferably Mipha)
- Ridley (or Sylux, depending on how prominent he is in Prime 4)
- Gen VIII Pokémon (if you want a pre-existing Pokémon, I'd say a Lycanroc form)
- Fire Emblem Switch protagonist
- Rex/Pyra
- Inkling
- Spring Man

My list is pretty safe all things considered. However, I did throw in Pauline just for the sake of having one surprise character. She's the least likely of the eight, but I think her odds are just as good, if not better, than most of the other Mario characters.

I'll limit my opinions to your standard roster.

It's a solid attempt, and most of the additions are believable. There are a few things I would like to point out though. First off, there aren't any cuts. Even if the next Smash game brings back all 58 characters, it's still worth showing people who you think could get cut. Not only does it prepare you for the worst, but it also lets others know who you think is a lower priority. Another thing is that you focused a little too much on new franchises. The only pre-existing franchises that got a newcomer were Mario, DK (Which got two newcomers in your roster. Even with the Tropical Freeze port, that's awfully generous for a franchise that hasn't been too active lately), Pokémon, and Xenoblade. Maybe sprinkle in a few newcomers for the other franchises here and there.

Overall, it's a pretty good roster. I'll rate it 8 out of 10.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed

I start with:

- Paper Mario (Mario)
- Sylux (Metroid)
- Decidueye (Pokémon)
- Inkling (Splatoon)
- Spring Man (ARMS)

With Sakurai as director:
1. Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist
2. Inklings
3. Isabelle
4. Rex
5. Decidueye
6. Takamaru
7. Spring Man
8. Medusa

Sakurai's not director:
1. Inklings
2. Isabelle
3. Dixie Kong
4. Bandana Dee
5. Paper Mario
6. Decidueye
7. Spring Man
8. Ridley

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
1. Skull Kid
2. Bandana Dee
3. Ridley
4. Rex and Pyra
5. Inkling
6. Spring Man
7. Stylist
8. Excitebike

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
1)Rex + Pyra
2)Bandana Dee
3)Impa
4)Decidueye/Gen VIII Pokemon
5)Inklings
6)Spring Man
7)Takamaru
8)King K. Rool/Dixie Kong

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
1. Captain Toad or Paper Mario
2. Either Decidueye or the Grass starter for Generation VIII, depending on when Smash 5 is released
3. Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
4. Spring Man
5. Inkling
6. Rabbid Mario, or a similar Rabbid that takes inspiration mainly from Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
7. The protagonist for the new Fire Emblem game on Switch
8. Alph getting promoted to clone status

Luminario

Smash Lord
Does anyone know a good explanation on how to make movesets
Make a list of all the necessary attacks a character needs to have in Smash (like jab, forward tilt, down tilt, etc) then start typing a description of what attack can be used in that position. Try to incorporate unique abilities of the character you're making a moveset for, but don't make the gimmick overly complicated. You don't have to put that much thought into attacks that aren't specials, I mean just look at how many f tilts are simple kicks, but try to make the attacks suit the personality of the character. If you're drawing a blank on a specific move, just let your mind simmer for a bit as you do something else until the inspiration takes hold.

- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed
- Isabelle
- Mimikyu
- Rex + Pyra
- Marshal
- Ashley
- Dixie
- Takamaru
- Inkling
Savvy Stylist was close to being on the list but I don't actually have that much confidence in her appearing.
It's not bad. I don't really care for most of them but it's a solid roster. One thing I will say is you're playing it too safe; there not really any 'out-there' characters.
Y'all need to give Isabelle some love though I stg

D

Deleted member

- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed

I start with:

- Paper Mario (Mario)
- Sylux (Metroid)
- Decidueye (Pokémon)
- Inkling (Splatoon)
- Spring Man (ARMS)

Here are eight that come to mind:
- Rex, Pyra or Mythra ( Xenoblade Chronicles )
- Springman ( ARMS )
- Inkling ( Splatoon )
- Lyndis or any other cool Fire Emblem character ( Fire Emblem )
- Decidueye, Marshadow, Zeraora or a Generation VIII Pokemon ( Pokemon )
- Isabelle ( Animal Crossing )
- One of the Champions ( Legend of Zelda )
- Captain Toad or Paper Mario ( Super Mario Brothers )

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
1. Inkling (Splatoon)
2. Spring Man (ARMS)
3. Decidueye/Gen VIII Pokemon (Pokemon)
4. Rex and Pyra (Xenoblade)
5. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
6. Bandanna Dee (Kirby)
7. Waluigi (Mario)
8. Sylux (Metroid)
or alternatively: