• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

How would any of you feel about non-video game origin characters anyway?

Part of me feels like I’d be fine with it as long as they’re a character that has had plenty of notable games, but at the same time, there’s still other “true” video game characters they could be adding instead.

It’s like YouTube promoting celebrities over people that actually started on YouTube.
I would love it. Personally it would get my most wanted in(COUGH LUFFY COUGHHH) and could attract people who never had a switch to get one. Marketing 101 if you ask me.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm about to hurt y'all pretty deep real quick.

It might be heavily likely we don't get Joker till April. I say this because, including Piranha Plant, there ar 6 characters confirmed as DLC. Sakurai said it would take about a year to release them all. If Piranha Plant is coming in February then Joker will probably release in April, Erdrick in June, the next character in August, then October, then December. A perfect year of bimonthly releases.

I think that's how it'll be too...
Sounds about right.

On December 7th 2019, on the 1 Year Anniversary of the release of Smash Ultimate, fans get blown away when Sakurai releases [---------] as a playable character.

Feel free to insert the name of any Assist Trophy character into that blank spot: Waluigi, Isaac, Skull Kid, Lyn, whatever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It might be heavily likely we don't get Joker till April. I say this because, including Piranha Plant, there ar 6 characters confirmed as DLC. Sakurai said it would take about a year to release them all. If Piranha Plant is coming in February then Joker will probably release in April, Erdrick in June, the next character in August, then October, then December. A perfect year of bimonthly releases.

Bah, three and a half months’ll be over before we know it.
I can wait for Joker.
I can. . wait. . .:colorful:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

you just made me cry. How dare you

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
The wait is fine (though admittedly I'm not that fussed about Joker and only care about THE PLANT right now)

I'm fine waiting for the characters to come out, I just wanna know who they all are ASAP

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I think bandwagoning is a big enough skew Nintendo doesn't want to poll us anymore. Honestly, if their goal with the DLC is to bring in new blood, they are better off NOT polling us and going with trends and sales information.

One big issue I have with the Ryu, Steve, Doom, and Edrick leak is it leans way too much to Western tastes. It has very little of a check the box corporate meeting feel.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think bandwagoning is a big enough skew Nintendo doesn't want to poll us anymore. Honestly, if their goal with the DLC is to bring in new blood, they are better off NOT polling us and going with trends and sales information.

One big issue I have with the Ryu, Steve, Doom, and Edrick leak is it leans way too much to Western tastes. It has very little of a check the box corporate meeting feel.
You make a good point.

Erdrick, however, is heavily skewed towards Japanese tastes; like, Jesus, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone in Japan who owns Smash will buy Erdrick, and then people who haven't yet bought Smash will buy Smash just for Erdrick. Dragon Quest's popularity in Japan cannot be understated. :laugh:

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322

I'd argue that the characters listed appeal more to them than western tastes, the major one that appeals to western tastes out of those is Doomguy. The others are prolly just as big over there as they are here, or even larger.

You think they'll do any double releases for these DLC characters? Or are there so few that they wouldn't do something like that.
I think for sure we'll get at least one announcement and release of the character on the same day.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
It also feels like there's no younger demographic for the leak list. Young vigilante, old school rpg rep, hellishly hard game rep, blocky open world rep, and demon-shredder don't seem like a list for an E rated game. I can see some skirting, but not the whole list. In some form or another, you have to talk yourself into half the list belonging on the list at all. When there are so many choices, that seems highly unlikely.

Pakky

Smash Hero
what? his trailer said DLC pack 1. Sakurai said they're working on him right now. Why would they wait and release him?
Sure... *giggle*

He'll be first no doubt but I think its a safe bet that everyone is done already. And they're drip feeding them for hype and publicity

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
It also feels like there's no younger demographic for the leak list. Young vigilante, old school rpg rep, hellishly hard game rep, blocky open world rep, and demon-shredder don't seem like a list for an E rated game. I can see some skirting, but not the whole list. In some form or another, you have to talk yourself into half the list belonging on the list at all. When there are so many choices, that seems highly unlikely.
Minecraft is DEFINITELY the younger demographic of this. Minecraft appeals to virtually everybody, especially kids.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Smash is E10. About the same rating as Minecraft and some Dragon Quest games

Besides, All of Smash 4's DLC newcomers (:4ryu::4cloud::4corrin::4bayonetta:) came from series/games that garner a T rating or higher... And that game had Bayonetta too, so Doom Guy isn't too out of place

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Isn't Minecraft has a reputation for being popular among children?

Also, I don't recall last pack of DLC having many characters geared towards children. :4cloud::4ryu::4mewtwo::4feroy::4lucas: were all pretty old and :4corrin::4bayonetta: definitely weren't catering to an E10+ audience.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
what? his trailer said DLC pack 1. Sakurai said they're working on him right now. Why would they wait and release him?
In an interview, Sakurai stated that the decision to make Joker the first revealed character was made by the Nintendo Marketing team, and not him; the reason why there was no gameplay footage in the trailer is because there wasn't any to show.

For all we know, Sakurai originally intended to show someone else at the Game Awards (if at all), and that character (if they exist) is a lot more complete than Joker.

D

Deleted member

I think we'll be getting two western characters. I'm leaning towards Crash and Banjo.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think we'll be getting two western characters. I'm leaning towards Crash and Banjo.
I'm not sure on Banjo, though...

I doubt Microsoft or Nintendo really care a thing about Banjo Kazooie, nowadays, as the series has just been sitting on the back burner since 2008

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Isn't Minecraft has a reputation for being popular among children?

Also, I don't recall last pack of DLC having many characters geared towards children. :4cloud::4ryu::4mewtwo::4feroy::4lucas: were all pretty old and :4corrin::4bayonetta: definitely weren't catering to an E10+ audience.
Most kids wouldn't event recognize Roy, Lucas and Corrin.

D

Deleted member

In an interview, Sakurai stated that the decision to make Joker the first revealed character was made by the Nintendo Marketing team, and not him; the reason why there was no gameplay footage in the trailer is because there wasn't any to show.

For all we know, Sakurai originally intended to show someone else at the Game Awards (if at all), and that character (if they exist) is a lot more complete than Joker.
That still doesn't explain why Joker is labelled as DLC 1. Why would you release DLC 2 before 1?

D

Deleted member

Any reasons for the specific number?
Even Japanese and western representation. We've already gotten Joker and Erdrick is extremely likely. I think we'll get one more Japanese and two more westerners.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So you know when you wanna play some "competitive" Smash only to realize that the person your fighting does not so they've including regular hazardless stages in their rule set? Also y'know when online HATES your boring and fair, battlefield, no items, 3 stock, 7:00 minute time limit? So they pick the other guy's 5:00 minute, 2 stock, hazardless (or not) stages, with a Smash ball active rule set?

Isn't that FUN?

Also the person has potato internet and the gall to crotch taunt when the lag hits you...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So you know when you wanna play some "competitive" Smash only to realize that the person your fighting does not so they've including regular hazardless stages in their rule set? Also y'know when online HATES your boring and fair, battlefield, no items, 3 stock, 7:00 minute time limit? So they pick the other guy's 5:00 minute, 2 stock, hazardless (or not) stages, with a Smash ball active rule set?

Isn't that FUN?

Also the person has potato internet and the gall to crotch taunt when the lag hits you...
Off topic but ok

osby

Smash Obsessed
Even Japanese and western representation. We've already gotten Joker and Erdrick is extremely likely. I think we'll get one more Japanese and two more westerners.
Maybe they'll try to balance it, but Smash hardly kept things equal on a grand scale. Like, we have 3 western created characters in a 70+ roster.

I think Bayo is pretty recognizable.
She's really not. She's probably the most niche third party character in Smash, maybe after Richter.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Western characters would take a lot more work than you think. They would have to deal with stuff like traveling costs and language barriers...

If we were to ever get a western third party character, I'd expect it to be a special one time case, just because of how difficult it would be...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well it is about Smash and what will ultimately affect DLC characters in the future when you play as them online.
If someone disrespects you while you're playing as Joker, he calls Oracle and she destroys their internet.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
She's really not. She's probably the most niche third party character in Smash, maybe after Richter.
Which is why people (including me who loves Bayo and has three copies of 1 and 2 of 2) were like "Naw chief this ain't it" when she 'won' the ballot.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Which is why people (including me who loves Bayo and has three copies of 1 and 2 of 2) were like "Naw chief this ain't it" when she 'won' the ballot.
I wouldn't call Smash Ballot as indicator of anything, tbh. Not even two million "votes" were registered and pretty much everyone double-dipped on suggestions.

D

Deleted member

Maybe they'll try to balance it, but Smash hardly kept things equal on a grand scale. Like, we have 3 western created characters in a 70+ roster.

I wouldn't say after Richter. I think shes about on the level of Simon or Bomberman.

Also, when you think about it, DK is western since its the DKC version.

Guys, if we get Crash I WILL DIE

Pakky

Smash Hero
I wouldn't call Smash Ballot as indicator of anything, tbh. Not even two million "votes" were registered and pretty much everyone double-dipped on suggestions.
GASP, But I would never !

:ultkrool: First vote, second vote
:ultridley:third vote, fourth vote

:ultbayonetta1:(Yeah I did vote her out of desperation so I felt super weird when it happened)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, the Smash Ballot didn't even have any numbers released, so we can't say for certain what went down.

...And even if we did have numbers, people voted for a character multiple times, soooooo...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I did vote multiple times. A couple for :ultwolf: and a couple for :ultkrool:. Guilty as charged.

D

Deleted member

GASP, But I would never !

:ultkrool: First vote, second vote
:ultridley:third vote, fourth vote

:ultbayonetta1:(Yeah I did vote her out of desperation so I felt super weird when it happened)
Since I was a dumb 10 year old I double dipped on Spongebob and Rayman

KMDP

Smash Legend
I was a good lad who only voted once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom