• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
I can take a couple of guesses.
I feel the most likely occurrence will be that the characters will be added as playable the moment you start World of Light, whether it's your first time or you're hopping back on after playing halfway. No sequence, no new location on the map, just the "Character Unlocked!" thing in world of light as they're added as playable.
I know it’s not likely, but I would LOVE it if we got a new area on the map for the DLC characters. Especially if these franchises also get new spirits, that’s potentially 5 new franchises of spirits to work with! Or 4 if one of them is a Square franchise.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I know it’s not likely, but I would LOVE it if we got a new area on the map for the DLC characters. Especially if these franchises also get new spirits, that’s potentially 5 new franchises of spirits to work with! Or 4 if one of them is a Square franchise.

SHADE

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I wouldn't call Smash Ballot as indicator of anything, tbh. Not even two million "votes" were registered and pretty much everyone double-dipped on suggestions.
I confess...
I voted for like, 3 or 4 characters...

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just noticed we now have icons for alt costumes and characters. Thanks, mods!

RIP Alph

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Didn't vote at all as I had a not-really-interested-in-Nintendo phase during that period.

Would be interested in seeing what written justifications people gave in the ballot for their choices. Did you give convincing reasons or was it more on the level of 'he's a pretty cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything'?

D

Deleted member

SQUARE GOT PUT ON BLAST

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I'm reasonably certain we can agree the worse picks we've gotten in the series have been shill picks. I still want Xenoblade 2 though.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
squareisstingy.exe has stopped working
I'm reasonably certain we can agree the worse picks we've gotten in the series have been shill picks. I still want Xenoblade 2 though.
Bro... Bro...

Most of my favorite Smash characters are shill picks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

IMO. The worst picks are Corrin and....

Nah, that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
I'm not sure on Banjo, though...

I doubt Microsoft or Nintendo really care a thing about Banjo Kazooie, nowadays, as the series has just been sitting on the back burner since 2008
I understand your position, and I’d believe it if it weren’t for two things. One: Spcial Media. Phill Spencer has at least acknowledged the Banjo love in the past, and all of the people screaming at them about this is probably what got them talking in the first place. Two: Those Crash and Spyro revivals have been doing pretty well. The greedy executives at Microsoft are probably eyeing Banjo hungrily right now if they’re not stupid.

I think it’s likely that the online outcry coupled with ballot responses got them talking about this a while ago, maybe during the planning stages of Smash4 and Ultimate. And then the Crash and Spyro trilogies (either one, the other, or both) pushed them over the edge. I can even see it being that they intentionally put Banjo in the “DLC for Ultimate” collum early because having him be DLC for 4 would been he’d be bade game for Ultimate and I can imagine that would be a very complicated thing they’re rather avoid. They’ve already got their hands full dealing with Square’s lawyers. So they agreed to have Banjo be DLC for the Switch project to better split the revenue.

At least, that’s how I see it happening. I could be wrong. But this makes a lot of sense. Not to mention we have a kind of case study. Diddy Kong Racing DS. Half of those characters (Timber, Bumper, Pipsy, and Tiptup) were Rare owned. (Krunch is a Kremling so he went to Nintendo). The reason that game worked however, is that Microsoft had no stake in the handheld race so they were willing to cooperate. The Switch is a handheld system, and sense it’s not a very powerful system ports of new next gen games often come out much later. As such the Switch rarely directly competes with the Xbox or PlayStation when you think about it. It either has exclusive titles that only come to it, or ports so much later that MS and Sony have the lions share of the casual consumer base.

SQUARE GOT PUT ON BLAST
squareisstingy.exe has stopped working

Bro... Bro...

Most of my favorite Smash characters are shill picks
Deny it all you want. You know it’s true.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Didn't vote at all as I had a not-really-interested-in-Nintendo phase during that period.

Would be interested in seeing what written justifications people gave in the ballot for their choices. Did you give convincing reasons or was it more on the level of 'he's a pretty cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything'?
I still have my statement for Isaac.
KMDP in 2015 said:
I've been a fan of Golden Sun since it first came out in the UK in 2002. The customisable nature of Golden Sun's battle style means that Isaac has a large selection of abilities to choose from that could be able to use in Smash, from his Psynergy and Weapons, to the Djinn and Summons. Though Isaac is a 'magic swordsman' like Robin, his magical abilities differ in the fact that he uses the earth and nature to attack.
Fortunately, I had posted it to the Isaac Support Thread back in August, and then bookmarked the page; meaning I no longer have to remember where I saved it and trawl through old text documents from back then.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Just by the thumbnail alone...

I can tell you that Bonk would be a better choice
If I was being cultured I would have said Bonk or Master Higgins.

But I was being a degenerate.

Also Pyramid head is a tasty choice.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Corrin? The worst choice? Nuh uh...

We may not have asked for Corrin, but her fun playstyle alone, makes up for the fan demand...

Imo, sometimes you should prioritize having characters in for their fun and unique moveset potential, over having a character in because you like them or their game...

That's a big reason why Smash 4 had my favorite batch of newcomers

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We may not have asked for Corrin, but her fun playstyle alone, makes up for the fan demand...

Imo, sometimes you should prioritize having characters in for their fun and unique moveset potential, over having a character in because you like them...
Meh. I find her boring. Elise would be been the better pick in every way shape of form.

R.I.P Elise, spirit deconfirmation.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I think bandwagoning is a big enough skew Nintendo doesn't want to poll us anymore. Honestly, if their goal with the DLC is to bring in new blood, they are better off NOT polling us and going with trends and sales information.

One big issue I have with the Ryu, Steve, Doom, and Edrick leak is it leans way too much to Western tastes. It has very little of a check the box corporate meeting feel.
Steve and Edrick for Japan, Doomguy and Ryu for West, Joker for both

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay lads, there's a new fake direct lineup "leak" and it talks about a character but the important part is that it's calling a new Wave Race game so let me tell you this is how Ryota Hayami can still win. Dread it. Run from it. The Blue Storm still arrives.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Maybe they'll try to balance it, but Smash hardly kept things equal on a grand scale. Like, we have 3 western created characters in a 70+ roster.

She's really not. She's probably the most niche third party character in Smash, maybe after Richter.
Bayonetta is better than Richter overall

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Lol, I had to look that up. I only want her because she's iconic and recognizable, just like Sans and Hal Emmerich.
I didn't know who Elise was until you told me...

I think you mostly want her, cause she's your waifu

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Okay lads, there's a new fake direct lineup "leak" and it talks about a character but the important part is that it's calling a new Wave Race game so let me tell you this is how Ryota Hayami can still win. Dread it. Run from it. The Blue Storm still arrives.
Wow, didn't know we missed a direct literally last year. Oh, and typo or not, no way they're revealing another DLC character without us knowing more about Joker, Unless they actually want people to know the DLC roster before Joker releases. Which I wouldn't mind, but ain't realistic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't know who Elise was until you told me...

I think you mostly want her, cause she's your waifu
If she's a waifu, there's a bit of a -ahem- FBI-involving problem.

Methinks you're thinking of the dead hedgehog-kisser instead of the Nohr imouto.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
IMO. The worst picks are Corrin and....

Nah, that's it.

Corrin was definitely not the worst pick, their dragon transformations moves are a big part of why I like playing with them. I was actually hoping that they would make it into Smash 4 back then, when I only knew the character name as Kamui (which I still think is a better name than Corrin), but I had no expectations for them to actually make it in.

But little did I know...

Sakurai would deliver :)

Now if only Corrin and Sheik can get a buff or two... or three.

Darn it Crashboards my pic!

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
literally everyone stupid direct leak is just:

-mom 3 gets english
-****ing ninja gaiden man in smash idk
-metroid
-f zero i promise
-mario cars party 16

and the real directs are always:

-now, let's look at this new eshop game you won't buy

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Imo, sometimes you should prioritize having characters in for their fun and unique moveset potential, over having a character in because you like them or their game...

Same. I don't really have any problems with Ultimate newcomers overall (and I even got Joker), but I feel like newcomers peaked at the last game. Though that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom