• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Zero Suit Samus needs to team up with Bayonetta and roll her eyes at Bayonetta's cheekiness of the situation.
Samus isn't really the "roll her eyes" type of gal.

If anything, she'd just quietly accept Bayonetta's sass.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I want Little Mac to team up with Mario and look at him with a "do I know you from somewhere" expression on his face, or something like that. In seriousness though, I wanna see the Koopalings all out attack Ryu and Captain Falcon, only to have their butts handed to them.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Man, I hope the leaker goes crazy and instead of showing a piece of Battlefield, he shows something more interesting lol.

That, or we get a Direct soon.

I'm just bored.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Man, I hope the leaker goes crazy and instead of showing a piece of Battlefield, he shows something more interesting lol.

I'm just bored.
Yeah. I would take anything exept the disconfirmaton of Marx. A trophy of a character we all know isn't getting in would be okay with me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well after looking through Master0fHyrule's Youtube channel like a doofus, I found the supposed leak on his twitter. Reposting so others don't have to go back through pages.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I rate this 25% on the belief scale.

Yeah. I would take anything exept the disconfirmaton of Marx. A trophy of a character we all know isn't getting in would be okay with me.
I'd take any disconfirmation at this point. Once I accepted dev time may impact ARMS representation, I've not had a chance to build up too much hype and would appreciate it being nipped in the bud.

Ideally, Ridley is shown in the first lot of new info, either with his playable debut or headlining a new boss rush mode so we don't get teased out over two games like last time.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord

I'm just bored.
You mean like leaking a picture of this games Banana Peel? That would be pretty hype :p

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Here's an interesting topic: unlockable characters. Will Sakurai go through with his original plan for Smash 4 to have no secret characters and everyone available from the get-go for Smash 5? Will it be a Smash 4 situation with only a few unlockables? Or will there be plenty of unlockables just like in Brawl, with a lot of the roster being completely under wraps?

Personally, I've always actually enjoyed unlocking plenty of characters rather than only a few. It's fun to be surprised by who's in the game that's not a starter whether they're a veteran or newcomer. I also don't wanna end up saying "that's it?" again after unlocking everyone like in Smash 4 since I expected a few more unlockables. (Plus why in the world was Wario made a secret character in Smash 4 and not someone who was a surprising return like Lucario?)
A ****ing great topic to discuss fam!

Make half of the roster unlokcable like they did with Melee. I'm in the minority here, but I'd like more unlockables this time around instead of just 12-14 to choose from. **** that. Make it 20-25 characters so we can have a handful to explore in the game. Unlockables are why 64, Melee, and Brawl (somewhat) made the game fun. Wii U destroyed it

Danpal65

Smash Lord
A ****ing great topic to discuss fam!

Make half of the roster unlokcable like they did with Melee. I'm in the minority here, but I'd like more unlockables this time around instead of just 12-14 to choose from. **** that. Make it 20-25 characters so we can have a handful to explore in the game. Unlockables are why 64, Melee, and Brawl (somewhat) made the game fun. Wii U destroyed it
I think what would work is if a majority of the unlockables are veterans with only a few of the newcomers being unlockable. This way the new hype characters are mostly front and centre in the game for people to try out and then there can be a few surprise ones mixed in the veterans.

Obviously this would not be everyones cup of tea, I personally love unlocking stuff in Smash, but I think it would be fun for it to go in this direction.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I just... want... SOMETHING!

We've known about this game for nearly 2 months, and all we have is a trailer of Inklings that only show Smash related stuff in the last 5 seconds, with half the cast shrouded in shadow, and it doesn't even show ACTUAL GAMEPLAY!

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
oh finally a leak. it's safe as **** but it's something. anyway, i'm leaning towards real. bayo, dhd and shulk are safe choices and honestly that battlefield design looks cool enough to be legit. well that and M0H does seem to have actual connections so he may have gotten a sneak peek at the game. though after watching the video and reading his tweets i get the feeling that M0H has more than likely seen newcomer(s). that would explain why he's keeping much of the info close to his chest. also if there's a person with inside info lurking this thread plz send it to me i am totally trustworthy

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm not playing games like Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, etc to unlock things. I'm playing them to sit down with some friends, goof off and have a good time.

There is legit no reason for a multi-player game to have characters as unlockables in this day and age. The reason to play a multi-player game is already stated in it's game type. You're playing it to play with multiple people. You don't need any extra incentive really.
I like it because it keeps you busy rather than having everything at once. To be honest, I haven't played in Smash in a year because I found it boring after a certain amount of time. Stages....that's it? No unlockable fighters to really unlock? Yeah that was pretty boring on the Wii U.

In your case, here's an idea: buy a patch that unlocks everything from the beginning. For those of us who don't want to buy the patch for unlockables, it helps

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Has anyone considered the fact that we have no official confirmation that the Inklings are playable? Like, obviously they are, why else would they be the focus of the first trailer, but it's just weird that it's not, like, officially confirmed. Like there's no gameplay of them, nobody from Nintendo has come out and stated "we hope you look forward to playing as Inklings in the new Super Smash Bros.!"

It's just weird. This news drought is ****in' weird as ****.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I like it because it keeps you busy rather than having everything at once. To be honest, I haven't played in Smash in a year because I found it boring after a certain amount of time. Stages....that's it? No unlockable fighters to really unlock? Yeah that was pretty boring on the Wii U.

In your case, here's an idea: buy a patch that unlocks everything from the beginning. For those of us who don't want to buy the patch for unlockables, it helps
As much as I like having plenty of unlockables, paying to unlock everything from the start shouldn't be an option, its extremely scummy and unfair, and there's definitely better solutions than having people pay to unlock everything from the beginning.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
He'd be the most interesting Kirby newcomer, but he'd probably be better represented as a boss.

I have a few boss characters I'd like to see if we do get an Adventure Mode with bosses
  • Mecha Bowser
  • King Boo
  • Raphael The Raven
  • Rudy The Clown
  • Ridley
  • Marx
  • Giegue (Earthbound Beginnings)
  • Pigma
  • Twinbellows
  • Titan Dweevil
  • DJ Octavio
  • Metal Sonic

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I'm calling it: while we all say "Just give us anything!" now, later they will officially tease something minuscule and we will complain that it wasn't enough.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Has anyone considered the fact that we have no official confirmation that the Inklings are playable? Like, obviously they are, why else would they be the focus of the first trailer, but it's just weird that it's not, like, officially confirmed. Like there's no gameplay of them, nobody from Nintendo has come out and stated "we hope you look forward to playing as Inklings in the new Super Smash Bros.!"

Bruh you're in for a real explosion in the thread

I'll get the popcorn ready :troll:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
At the mention of Metal Sonic, that reminds me of an idea I've had for a Sonic stage: Stardust Speedway. Based off of its appearance in Mania, SS would be kinda similar to Castle Siege in that it transforms every so often from one form to another, with the two forms being Present and Future. How would it change? Metal Sonic runs by in the background every so often through a Future or Past sign based on what form the stage is currently in. I'd love to see that represent Mania (and the classic era in general rather than just Green Hill Zone), or maybe a touring stage like Delfino Plaza that has the fight warp to different stages seen in Mania via the Phantom Ruby.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
As much as I like having plenty of unlockables, paying to unlock everything from the start shouldn't be an option, its extremely scummy and unfair, and there's definitely better solutions than having people pay to unlock everything from the beginning.
WWE games do it every year and they've done it for awhile. Either buy a season pass to unlock everything or just go and do the modes and buy them from points you've earned

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Considering they gave us nothing more than a teaser, it's clear that it was nothing more than to hype and let us know the game exists. Honestly, many knew it was coming. It didn't really tell us much to begin with.

All we know is; Sakurai is working on it. Inklings are (obviously) playable. Link has a BOTW outfit(details aren't entirely known beyond that. Could be just an updated design like what happened in Brawl). And Mario is there. Obviously other vets have their silhouettes, but that's not much actual information.

I'm guessing they don't intend to give much till the next direct or e3, if anything whatsoever.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
WWE games do it every year and they've done it for awhile. Either buy a season pass to unlock everything or just go and do the modes and buy them from points you've earned
Thing is, this is Nintendo we're talking about, not WWE or 2K. And I doubt Nintendo would ever do something like this (unless they have and we've just ignored it for years or I've just forgotten about it).

Roberk

Smash Champion
I don't think Nintendo's business practices or even gaming business practices, in general, should be justified by WWE games... Scummy is scummy

monadoboy

Smash Lord
So the official Zelda Twitter shared an update to the website and added several characters from across the series, might be a good reference point for Zelda newcomer speculation. (But we all know there will never be a Zelda newcomer anyway.)

Also, people are sleeping on Ravio, imo.
Though I'll only accept him if he has an unmasked costume

Roberk

Smash Champion
So the official Zelda Twitter shared an update to the website and added several characters from across the series, might be a good reference point for Zelda newcomer speculation. (But we all know there will never be a Zelda newcomer anyway.)

Wow, how have people never mentioned Kaepora Gaebora as a newcomer?

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
At the mention of Metal Sonic, that reminds me of an idea I've had for a Sonic stage: Stardust Speedway. Based off of its appearance in Mania, SS would be kinda similar to Castle Siege in that it transforms every so often from one form to another, with the two forms being Present and Future. How would it change? Metal Sonic runs by in the background every so often through a Future or Past sign based on what form the stage is currently in. I'd love to see that represent Mania (and the classic era in general rather than just Green Hill Zone), or maybe a touring stage like Delfino Plaza that has the fight warp to different stages seen in Mania via the Phantom Ruby.
that does sound good! Mania did pretty well so it wouldn't surprise me if it got some love in Smash.

a stage i wanted for the last go-around was Castelia Cruise. the way i saw it, you'd fight on top of the cruise liner as it sailed around the harbors and waterways of the Unova region. scenes such as the Castelia City skyline pass by slowly in the background, and occasional glimpses of the legendary Pokemon Reshiram and Zekrom would cause trouble for players with fire or lightning, respectively. it seemed like a good way to show off an iconic location from Black and White, without being too similar to previous stages like Fourside and Saffron City. unfortunately gen 5 got overlooked in favor of the new release.

and was anybody else not really feeling Zoroark? i wanted Genesect personally, Zoroark seemed boring and its gimmick didn't seem like it'd translate well to smash.

D

Deleted member

Crump said this, but the Master of Hyrule leak is not that bad. The leak looks a bit realistic compared to the "RIDLEY IS IN!" leaks and so on.

Also he sounds a lot more believable than other leakers.
Wow, how have people never mentioned Kaepora Gaebora as a newcomer?
Who in the world is that guy?
Sorry to crush your dreams, but he is not getting in.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace

I've secretly really wanted Ravio in Smash Bros. with a moveset based around the different items you could rent from him (Fire, Ice, Sand and Tornado Rods, and the Hammer), being a fan of him and ALBW.

Also I'm surprised by the severe lack of support for Kaepora Gaebora. People really wanna see a certain owl in Smash Bros., yet Kaepora is just slept on. He's the OG FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Roberk

Smash Champion
I don't think that guy's got a very big fan club.
Crump said this, but the Master of Hyrule leak is not that bad. The leak looks a bit realistic compared to the "RIDLEY IS IN!" leaks and so on.

Also he sounds a lot more believable than other leakers.

Who in the world is that guy?
Sorry to crush your dreams, but he is not getting in.
Sarcasm, but also the fact that a lot of Zelda choices are bottom of the barrel these days, unfortunately. Not as bad as owl guy, but not really optimal for newcomers.

D

Deleted member

Sarcasm, but also the fact that a lot of Zelda choices are bottom of the barrel these days, unfortunately. Not as bad as owl guy, but not really optimal for newcomers.
Listen.

There are so many better Zelda choices, like the Champions or Impa ( I never really cared for Impa to be honest, but she is popular. ).

Why would they pay a lot of work to put in and animate / make a move-set for a character that is not known at all when there are clearly better choices?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Listen.

There are so many better Zelda choices, like the Champions or Impa ( I never really cared for Impa to be honest, but she is popular. ).

Why would they pay a lot of work to put in and animate / make a move-set for a character that is not known at all when there are clearly better choices?
I totally agree with you, pretty much anyone else is better than the owl guy. All of the other choices are better as Zelda newcomers, but my point is that they weren't good for Smash newcomers.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Listen.

If you've played Ocarina of Time, trust me, you'll KNOW him alright, after probably just an hour into the game. But seriously, he's never getting into Smash meaning my dreams are crushed always and forever

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I totally agree with you, pretty much anyone else is better than the owl guy. All of the other choices are better as Zelda newcomers, but my point is that they weren't good for Smash newcomers.
Bruh.

The champions would be great, better than that owl guy.

The BOTW champions are my most wanted The Legend of Zelda newcomers so far.

I'm just bored.
~Pats back~
I feel you.

I would love him to leak Bandanna Dee so you go nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you've played Ocarina of Time, trust me, you'll KNOW him alright, after probably just an hour into the game. But seriously, he's never getting into Smash meaning my dreams are crushed always and forever
I'll be honest, I found him even more annoying in Link's Awakening. There was already a ton of cutscenes in OOT as is, so that type of stuff wasn't as jarring. It barely happened in LA outside of him. Albeit, it was useful plot too, but it felt a bit too much like it didn't flow that well in comparison. In OOT, you actually went to that area and it came up somewhat naturally.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Bruh.

The champions would be great, better than that owl guy.

The BOTW champions are my most wanted The Legend of Zelda newcomers so far.
my stance on the Champions has been that it'd feel like part of an incomplete set unless all four got in, and that would be asking way too much. i wouldn't turn it down, almost any zelda addition would be better than nothing (emphasis on almost), but for as cool as they all were they never even crossed my mind.

I would love him to leak Bandanna Dee so you go nuts.
jeez i don't even care for Bandana Dee but anything to break the silence would feel great..

D

Deleted member

I have a question for you all. I know some people want :pt: back, but I do not. I think :4charizard:,:ivysaur: and :squirtle: would feel a lot better being separated. Removing transformations was a great idea, as :4sheik:,:4zss:,:4zelda: and :4samus: now feel a lot more fresh than previously.
Dang it, I wish I played Ocarina of Time.
But I do not have a Nintendo 64 or Ocarina of Time. :/
i don't even care for Bandana Dee
Waddle Dee.jpg

You officially lost my respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom