• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Alright, on March 7th at (7:00 AM EST, 6:00 AM CT, 4:00 AM PST, etc.) Nintendo of America tweeted the announcement of the March 8th Direct. This was on a Wednesday and there's only one more Wednesday left in April, tomorrow. Let's summon a Direct announcement for tomorrow. I don't even care if it's for Smash at this point, all of my gaming fandoms have been drying up due to the lack of info for future titles. I will not believe that Nintendo will leave April with no announcements whatsoever.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I have a question for you all. I know some people want :pt: back, but I do not. I think :4charizard:,:ivysaur: and :squirtle: would feel a lot better being separated. Removing transformations was a great idea, as :4sheik:,:4zss:,:4zelda: and :4samus: now feel a lot more fresh than previously.

Dang it, I wish I played Ocarina of Time.
But I do not have a Nintendo 64 or Ocarina of Time. :/

View attachment 142239
You officially lost my respect.
It's funny. Waddle Dee is one of my favorite Kirby characters and as a result, Bandana Waddle Dee is. But, the way people push him down the throats of speculation discussions really turns me off from him. Same goes for King K. Rool, who is one of my biggest requests.

I really want both of these characters, but I really don't get why people think they are likely. I definitely get why people think they deserve a spot, but there's no reason to expect them any more than the last game. If anything they are less likely than they were in Smash 4. King K. Rool's hiatus has gone from four years to TEN years and there have been multiple mainstream Donkey Kong Country games that don't even reference him.

Bandana Waddle Dee on the other hand, prior to 2018, his last playable appearance in a mainstream Kirby Adventure was Return to Dreamland, which came out a year before Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U started development. Seems like if there was a time to include him, it was then.

I personally don't think there is ever a time to include him. Whether or not he's a unique character, he's still based on a generic enemy just like Kamek and Toad. So unless he gets his own game like Captain Toad, I'm gonna be skeptical of his chances.

I don't think being the fourth playable character in Return to Dreamland/Star Allies makes him just as essential as Kirby, Meta Knight, or King Dedede. I really don't see the point in adding any Kirby characters other than those three.

We got two Kirby newcomers in Brawl and yet the consensus among fans was "There's not enough Kirby newcomers" so people are never going to be satisfied with the amount of Donkey Kong, Kirby, or Metroid characters.

I'm not trying to suggest "We don't need any --- characters", but there's still the matter of priority. I don't see the Kirby universe being a high priority for newcomers. Now of course, things may change after the ballot, which is kind of where my hope for King K. Rool comes in.

But, if Waddle Dee gets in, I'll gladly celebrate.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If it weren't for Navi I'm sure that ****ing Owl would be the most hated thing about Ocarina of Time.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Zora King's scooting over noise is the most beautiful and purely sexual noise in all of Nintendo next to Waluigi's ''WAAAHH"..

So jot that down.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Please!

With new graphics, if needed.
:233:
It would be awesome if they did that with all returning stages. Like when Hyrule Castle returned in Sm4sh it would have been great if the visuals had been updated to match current gen stages, although the HD version was still fun to play on.

Edit: Sage of Ice Sage of Ice Looks like we replied with completely different responses at the same time :laugh:

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Okay but what about Pokéfloats? Specifically a completely brand new Pokéfloats 2? We've got another 5 generations that we can work with now, what Pokémon do you wanna fight on top of? I wanna see Golurk, the way its shoulders are angled make it a pretty interesting shape.

Edit: I just realized: AVALUGG AS THE OMEGA FORM.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Okay but what about Pokéfloats? Specifically a completely brand new Pokéfloats 2? We've got another 5 generations that we can work with now, what Pokémon do you wanna fight on top of? I wanna see Golurk, the way its shoulders are angled make it a pretty interesting shape.

Edit: I just realized: AVALUGG AS THE OMEGA FORM.
A new PokéFloats would be awesome! I loved that stage in Melee, even if it was pretty silly and not exactly a competitive stage.

Digging the idea of Avalugg as the Omega Form!

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Alright, on March 7th at (7:00 AM EST, 6:00 AM CT, 4:00 AM PST, etc.) Nintendo of America tweeted the announcement of the March 8th Direct. This was on a Wednesday and there's only one more Wednesday left in April, tomorrow. Let's summon a Direct announcement for tomorrow. I don't even care if it's for Smash at this point, all of my gaming fandoms have been drying up due to the lack of info for future titles. I will not believe that Nintendo will leave April with no announcements whatsoever.

Radical Bones Radical Bones judgement day is upon us. :bowser2:

D

Deleted member

Assuming Master of Hyrule's leak is true (which is still up in the air), does Shulk's inclusion at the E3 showcase make it more likely we see a Xenoblade newcomer at the event? If he is, it'd probably just be because Nintendo wants to promote his series, but I can't help but be slightly suspicious about the possibility we'd get a Xenoblade newcomer reveal at E3. Unfortunately the last speculation cycle doesn't really offer any similar scenario aside from Kid Icarus's spotlight in the E3 2013 reveal trailer and Palutena's inclusion, which is a lukewarm connection at best. Still, Shulk is a somewhat odd choice to be among the first characters we learn about, although Xenoblade has really grown since Smash 4. What does everyone else think? The hypest scenario would involve a Xenosaga trilogy remaster announcement for the Switch followed immediately by a KOS-MOS Smash reveal, but that'd never happen.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
While I'm a bit late to the conversation, I figured I'd throw my two cents in regarding unlockable fighters.

Since my hometown is a rural village with permanent residence of under 700 people, I spent a lot of time playing video games by myself to pass the time. This included games that are traditionally single-player like Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon, but also games that have deep multiplayer functionality. Namely, Mario Kart, Wii Sports Resort, and Smash Bros.

Given my background, I've always had a particular appreciation for unlocking characters. When I unlock something, I feel like I'm being properly rewarded for going out of my way to experience the singleplayer modes. Like, after spending time to beat all of the target tests in Melee, I was surprised by the reward of Mr. Game and Watch. I felt accomplished because I did something out of curiosity and found a secret.

Naturally, that sort of surprise is harder to come by when you're older and have been actively following and speculating about a Smash game.

But I did, nonetheless, find a satisfaction in discovering how each character was unlocked when I played Smash 4. I would try playing different characters in Classic mode or Smash Tour just to see if I would figure it out. In the process, I not only unlocked a number of characters; I also discovered which characters I liked, what modes were interesting to me, and found how much care had been put into every part of the game.

I'm not saying that I'm against having an input on the title screen to unlock characters or that I want everything to be hidden behind difficult challenges. Rather, I think that having characters hidden behind certain tasks is an effective way to motivate a player to explore the game in full. Smash is a game all about the characters, and there's a type of excitement I feel about unlocking a character that's more powerful and satisfying than unlocking stages, trophies, or music tracks.

So, personally, I would like to see more niche characters be hidden unlockables. Lucas, Roy, Ice Climbers, Little Mac, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. are prime examples. Personally, I'd also enjoy having different versions of a single character being unlocked by doing something with the starter equivalent of that character. Namely, Dr. Mario, Sheik, Toon Link, and Zero Suit Samus. Or maybe having characters who are closely related to others being unlocked similarly, like Bowser Jr., Lucina, Dark Pit, Falco/Wolf, and potentially Dixie Kong.

That said, I know that's just my personal opinion on the matter, and I don't hold anyone in lower esteem because of a difference in taste. I just would plea that everyone of you consider the perspective of people different from you. It's easy to listen to people who agree with you and come from the same background, but when faced with different views, it's important to take the time to consider others. That goes for more than just Smash Bros., too. That's a life thing.

Alas, sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Why is there any reason to believe a blurry picture of a portion of a stage from some random guy who has no previous credibility in the leaks department when we just saw someone create stages and characters in motion.

And they, for some reason, can't even present us with the entire image. Almost like that would require a larger degree of image manipulation.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Why is there any reason to believe a blurry picture of a portion of a stage from some random guy who has no previous credibility in the leaks department when we just saw someone create stages and characters in motion.

And they, for some reason, can't even present us with the entire image. Almost like that would require a larger degree of image manipulation.
I believe someone said in the thread earlier that he previously had insider knowledge of the Nintendo E3 booth and everything was 100 percent right.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I believe someone said in the thread earlier that he previously had insider knowledge of the Nintendo E3 booth and everything was 100 percent right.
Short of having to comb over a day's worth of messages, would someone be able to point me in the direction of that post?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
While I'm a bit late to the conversation, I figured I'd throw my two cents in regarding unlockable fighters.

Since my hometown is a rural village with permanent residence of under 700 people, I spent a lot of time playing video games by myself to pass the time. This included games that are traditionally single-player like Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon, but also games that have deep multiplayer functionality. Namely, Mario Kart, Wii Sports Resort, and Smash Bros.

Given my background, I've always had a particular appreciation for unlocking characters. When I unlock something, I feel like I'm being properly rewarded for going out of my way to experience the singleplayer modes. Like, after spending time to beat all of the target tests in Melee, I was surprised by the reward of Mr. Game and Watch. I felt accomplished because I did something out of curiosity and found a secret.

Naturally, that sort of surprise is harder to come by when you're older and have been actively following and speculating about a Smash game.

But I did, nonetheless, find a satisfaction in discovering how each character was unlocked when I played Smash 4. I would try playing different characters in Classic mode or Smash Tour just to see if I would figure it out. In the process, I not only unlocked a number of characters; I also discovered which characters I liked, what modes were interesting to me, and found how much care had been put into every part of the game.

I'm not saying that I'm against having an input on the title screen to unlock characters or that I want everything to be hidden behind difficult challenges. Rather, I think that having characters hidden behind certain tasks is an effective way to motivate a player to explore the game in full. Smash is a game all about the characters, and there's a type of excitement I feel about unlocking a character that's more powerful and satisfying than unlocking stages, trophies, or music tracks.

So, personally, I would like to see more niche characters be hidden unlockables. Lucas, Roy, Ice Climbers, Little Mac, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. are prime examples. Personally, I'd also enjoy having different versions of a single character being unlocked by doing something with the starter equivalent of that character. Namely, Dr. Mario, Sheik, Toon Link, and Zero Suit Samus. Or maybe having characters who are closely related to others being unlocked similarly, like Bowser Jr., Lucina, Dark Pit, Falco/Wolf, and potentially Dixie Kong.

That said, I know that's just my personal opinion on the matter, and I don't hold anyone is lower esteem because of a difference in taste. I just would plea that everyone of you consider the perspective of people different from you. It's easy to listen to people who agree with you and come from the same background, but when faced with different views, it's important to take the time to consider others. That goes for more than just Smash Bros., too. That's a life thing.

Personally, my most satisfying unlock is in Melee...

Event 29. I haven't played it in years, and yet I remember its event number like it was on the back of my hand. This is the event known as "Triforce Gathering". It is the only event in Melee that grants you a character upon completion, and not only that, but the event revolves around you fighting said character.

A challenge mode with a special gimmick? That's great single player content all by itself. But the reward? Far greater in worth.

Finally, Ganondorf was in Smash. You, as the Hero of Time, needed Zelda's help to defeat the King of Evil. Doing so grants the player unrestricted access to his character.

Back then I didn't care if he was a clone, I just wanted to play as my favorite villain of all time. And unlocking him gave me a great deal of satisfaction.

I very much enjoy the unlocking of the characters. It was different for Sm4sh because it didn't feel like performing special tasks was worth a character. You could only unlock them through repeated versus matches... kinda boring.

To be fair, the reason why it was so different for Sm4sh was because of the platforms, 3DS and Wii U. Each platform, as detailed by Sakurai, had a unique focus. 3DS focused on the individual's experience, whereas Wii U focused on the group's experience. And the effort for both had to be divided with each other.

As the hybrid, I hope Smash Switch bridges the gap with incredible multiplayer content that matches or tops Wii U's and single player content that matches or tops what we had in Brawl and Melee (with a little bit of what 3DS had to offer, such as Smash Run).

Back to the character unlocking satisfaction thing, I think an amazing thing for them to do for DLC (and we know they're going to add DLC) would be to make the DLC you purchased NOT give you the character right away.

Instead, purchasing the DLC gives you access to a special event match where you face a challenge against that character to unlock them.

I would have loved to be required to use Marth to duel Roy, or beat Cloud using the summons of Midgar, or having to beat Bayonetta by repeatedly using the Timer item. You're not purchasing a character, you're purchasing the chance to EARN that character in a unique way; this would give greater value to said purchase because it includes an entirely new sequence, and it would give even more value to the characters themselves because you still had to work to earn them. (This would also remove that Pay-to-Win mentality.)

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Short of having to comb over a day's worth of messages, would someone be able to point me in the direction of that post?
Here is the video where he talks about getting inside info on Nintendo's E3 booth being based on New Donk City.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I believe they are referring to this tweet.

Here is the video where he talks about getting inside info on Nintendo's E3 booth being based on New Donk City.

Nintendo's E3 2017 booth for reference.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
necro-quote, but citation ****ing needed on this one homeboy
I looked it up (since I don't intend to play Xenoblade 2 anytime soon,) I believe they are possibly referring to this outfit:

Also I have to be honest, I wish you'd not curse so much in your posts, it makes them very difficult to read when they're littered with asterisks. :dizzy:

Last edited:

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
I looked it up (since I don't intend to play Xenoblade 2 anytime soon,) I believe they are possibly referring to this outfit:

Also I have to be honest, I wish you'd not curse so much in your posts, it makes them very difficult to read when they're littered with asterisks. :dizzy:
i knew about the it, i'm just sayin' that they need to provide some ****ing citation to say it's 'better' at all. ****ing christ.

gah, rex looks so ****ing dumb in that. i really didn't think it could get worse than his diver outfit but nope, another great surprise. ****ing god i couldn't kick him out of the party fast enough. morag should've been the main character.

D

Deleted member

i knew about the it, i'm just sayin' that they need to provide some ****ing citation to say it's 'better' at all. ****ing christ.

gah, rex looks so ****ing dumb in that. i really didn't think it could get worse than his diver outfit but nope, another great surprise. ****ing god i couldn't kick him out of the party fast enough. morag should've been the main character.
I am not trying to be mean or anything, but you think all the cursing and negativity makes you look cool, but it does not.
Stop the cursing and negativity, please.

That said, I know that's just my personal opinion on the matter, and I don't hold anyone is lower esteem because of a difference in taste. I just would plea that everyone of you consider the perspective of people different from you. It's easy to listen to people who agree with you and come from the same background, but when faced with different views, it's important to take the time to consider others. That goes for more than just Smash Bros., too. That's a life thing.

Dang, I never knew you lived in small rural village. I live in a rich community that is quite dense... Though I am thankful I am not living in a city or a poor community.

Niche newcomers would be something, like if Mythra was added, she should be an unlockable. Mythra is not as mainstream as Rex and Pyra, but she would be an interesting character so she would be a perfect unlockable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I believe they are referring to this tweet.

Nintendo's E3 2017 booth for reference.
Even though his source ended up being right about the floor setup, I don't think it would've been that hard to guess regardless. It wasn't a huge surprise that the most notable part (New Donk City) from Nintendo's most hyped up game of the year (Odyssey) would be the inspiration for the decorations.

This year, he's claiming that we'll be seeing:
  • A Golden Hammer
  • A Captain Falcon helmet
  • Link's Master Sword
  • Marth's Falchion
  • Shulk's Monado
  • Bayonetta's handguns and boots
  • Fox's blaster
  • The Inklings' Splattershot
Now this one is a lot more specific. Bayonetta is really the only character listed we might have doubted, and the rest are all pretty much expected. Not quite sure why random small memorabilia is being displayed, but I'll try to make sense of this regardless.

So right off the bat, I notice that all the character memorabilia fits characters from the three classes of Mii Fighters. We got Captain Falcon as a Brawler, Link, Marth, and Shulk as swordfighters, and Bayo, Fox, and Inklings as Gunners. If I had to take a guess, I'd say this exhibit would be showcasing the different types of Smash fighters by displaying their weapons. The Golden Hammer is a weird and interesting choice, but I suppose it's one of the more iconic Smash items. Might be part of an exhibit showing off some classic Smash items.

So I'm not quite sure if I buy all this just yet, but this is definitely more specific than last year. If he ends up being right, his source will have a LOT more credibility to his name.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Even though his source ended up being right about the floor setup, I don't think it would've been that hard to guess regardless. It wasn't a huge surprise that the most notable part (New Donk City) from Nintendo's most hyped up game of the year (Odyssey) would be the inspiration for the decorations.

• A Golden Hammer
  • Link's Master Sword
  • Marth's Falchion
  • Shulk's Monado
  • Fox's blaster
Now this one is a lot more specific. Bayonetta is really the only character listed we might have doubted, and the rest are all pretty much expected. Not quite sure why random small memorabilia is being displayed, but I'll try to make sense of this regardless.

So right off the bat, I notice that all the character memorabilia fits characters from the three classes of Mii Fighters. We got Captain Falcon as a Brawler, Link, Marth, and Shulk as swordfighters, and Bayo, Fox, and Inklings as Gunners. If I had to take a guess, I'd say this exhibit would be showcasing the different types of Smash fighters by displaying their weapons. The Golden Hammer is a weird and interesting choice, but I suppose it's one of the more iconic Smash items. Might be part of an exhibit showing off some classic Smash items.

So I'm not quite sure if I buy all this just yet, but this is definitely more specific than last year. If he ends up being right, his source will have a LOT more credibility to his name.
Bayonetta's boots...? Unless he means that her four guns (both handguns and footguns) will be on display, I don't see how her shoes of all things are as iconic as the rest of the things displayed. Did he elaborate more on the detail?

In any mean I'd be thrilled to see her included amongst the Nintendo Hall of Fame of iconic items setup should it be a real deal. Maybe they'll announce they bought the IP? That would be a dream come true.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord

• A Golden Hammer
  • Link's Master Sword
  • Marth's Falchion
  • Shulk's Monado
  • Fox's blaster

Sounds like it could be like a hall of fame type of display, showcasing some of the "legendary weapons" of Smash Bros. fighters. They could be displayed in cabinets or something along a walkway or something to line up to play Smash, that way people can look at them while waiting to play the game.

I'd suggest that Mario's hat should be in one and possibly a Pokéball, but I expect there would be someone dressed up as Mario in Nintendo's area, same with Pikachu for the new Pokémon game. This would mean that there is a pretty solid representation of the characters we will be seeing in Smash displayed through either them being there or their signture weapon being on display.

A tasty inclusion to this leak would have been for a Keyblade to be on display...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Bayonetta's boots...? Unless he means that her four guns (both handguns and footguns) will be on display, I don't see how her shoes of all things are as iconic as the rest of the things displayed. Did he elaborate more on the detail?

In any mean I'd be thrilled to see her included amongst the Nintendo Hall of Fame of iconic items setup should it be a real deal. Maybe they'll announce they bought the IP? That would be a dream come true.
Probably her guns attached to her boots. I don't really see how Bayo's boots by themselves would make much sense. Without the guns, I'd probably have no idea what they were.

Sounds like it could be like a hall of fame type of display, showcasing some of the "legendary weapons" of Smash Bros. fighters. They could be displayed in cabinets or something along a walkway or something to line up to play Smash, that way people can look at them while waiting to play the game.

I'd suggest that Mario's hat should be in one and possibly a Pokéball, but I expect there would be someone dressed up as Mario in Nintendo's area, same with Pikachu for the new Pokémon game. This would mean that there is a pretty solid representation of the characters we will be seeing in Smash displayed through either them being there or their signture weapon being on display.

A tasty inclusion to this leak would have been for a Keyblade to be on display...
It sounds like a good idea, but it also sounds...small, I guess? I don't know, it just doesn't seem as big as what they did with New Donk City last year. Hopefully this isn't the only thing Nintendo has planned as far as decorations go. I think it would be a pretty cool idea if they could somehow create a Battlefield stage on the floor and add some life-sized models of popular Nintendo characters.

As for more memorabilia, I don't see how Shulk, Captain Falcon, and Bayo would get something but not Mario, Pikachu, Kirby. Seems like those guys are way more important to both Nintendo history and Smash history. Granted, none of those guys specifically have anything that can be displayed aside from Mario's cap. Maybe they'll be displayed a different way?

I'm also a little suspicious that Inklings (who are already announced) are the only newcomer the source knows about getting something in the exhibit. Seems like there would be at least one more newcomer getting promoted. But who knows? Maybe none of the newcomers have anything that can be displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom