• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Even though his source ended up being right about the floor setup, I don't think it would've been that hard to guess regardless. It wasn't a huge surprise that the most notable part (New Donk City) from Nintendo's most hyped up game of the year (Odyssey) would be the inspiration for the decorations.

This year, he's claiming that we'll be seeing:
  • A Golden Hammer
  • A Captain Falcon helmet
  • Link's Master Sword
  • Marth's Falchion
  • Shulk's Monado
  • Bayonetta's handguns and boots
  • Fox's blaster
  • The Inklings' Splattershot
Now this one is a lot more specific. Bayonetta is really the only character listed we might have doubted, and the rest are all pretty much expected. Not quite sure why random small memorabilia is being displayed, but I'll try to make sense of this regardless.

So right off the bat, I notice that all the character memorabilia fits characters from the three classes of Mii Fighters. We got Captain Falcon as a Brawler, Link, Marth, and Shulk as swordfighters, and Bayo, Fox, and Inklings as Gunners. If I had to take a guess, I'd say this exhibit would be showcasing the different types of Smash fighters by displaying their weapons. The Golden Hammer is a weird and interesting choice, but I suppose it's one of the more iconic Smash items. Might be part of an exhibit showing off some classic Smash items.

So I'm not quite sure if I buy all this just yet, but this is definitely more specific than last year. If he ends up being right, his source will have a LOT more credibility to his name.
You left out Fox's scanner (not a big deal) and also Duck Hunt's can. Which I think is just as curious as Bayo's boots. However it would fit with your theory (light gun for Gunner) so that's interesting!

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Probably her guns attached to her boots. I don't really see how Bayo's boots by themselves would make much sense. Without the guns, I'd probably have no idea what they were.

It sounds like a good idea, but it also sounds...small, I guess? I don't know, it just doesn't seem as big as what they did with New Donk City last year. Hopefully this isn't the only thing Nintendo has planned as far as decorations go. I think it would be a pretty cool idea if they could somehow create a Battlefield stage on the floor and add some life-sized models of popular Nintendo characters.

As for more memorabilia, I don't see how Shulk, Captain Falcon, and Bayo would get something but not Mario, Pikachu, Kirby. Seems like those guys are way more important to both Nintendo history and Smash history. Granted, none of those guys specifically have anything that can be displayed aside from Mario's cap. Maybe they'll be displayed a different way?

I'm also a little suspicious that Inklings (who are already announced) are the only newcomer the source knows about getting something in the exhibit. Seems like there would be at least one more newcomer getting promoted. But who knows? Maybe none of the newcomers have anything that can be displayed.
If they showed items relating to newcomers, some could be dead giveaways as to who's in the game before watching their reveal trailers.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm also a little suspicious that Inklings (who are already announced) are the only newcomer the source knows about getting something in the exhibit. Seems like there would be at least one more newcomer getting promoted. But who knows? Maybe none of the newcomers have anything that can be displayed.
If they showed items relating to newcomers, some could be dead giveaways as to who's in the game before watching their reveal trailers.
I think if he knows any info (maybe maybe not) he isn't saying it on purpose. So there may be newcomer props! (Bandana Dee Spear? Spring Man Gloves? Ridley's Whole Body is 50% of the room?) I'm just wondering if and when hes going to reveal that stuff...

Also some of these props are apparently huge (the golden hammer specifically) so we don't know how much space they'll take.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Curious...all very curious...

Well, MoH doesn't seem the type to make it all up, so at the very least, he's talking about it because he thinks it's real. So far, nothing confirms or debunks his information, but with no major red flags, it'll be worth keeping an eye on.

But someone tag me if he mentions something about one of the props being a brownish looking crystal.

Gotta say, though, I wouldn't mind at all of that screenshot really was for the new Battlefield. Talk about your aesthetic upgrades; it raises the floating ruins motif to a whole new level!

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Where's the source for these items?

Bayonetta definitely seems odd, being the only third party. Same with Duck Hunt since I'd expect him to be kept hidden like Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. before him.

But Bayonetta has always been an oddity. Nintendo likes to treat her like she's one of their own characters and it could also help promote Bayonetta 3.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
i knew about the it, i'm just sayin' that they need to provide some ****ing citation to say it's 'better' at all. ****ing christ.

gah, rex looks so ****ing dumb in that. i really didn't think it could get worse than his diver outfit but nope, another great surprise. ****ing god i couldn't kick him out of the party fast enough. morag should've been the main character.
Sheesh, no need to be so...spiteful. It's designed to be an upgrade, so it is 'better,' in a way, plus its' personal opinion, just like your distaste for it.

Anyway, I'd be surprised to see the Monado displayed at E3. Xenoblade went from a franchise many kept dismissing to now everyone expecting it getting a second rep and (possibly) getting a prop with the big guys. Makes me wonder just how important Smash is to Nintendo its franchises in general.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

For anyone who hasn't seen, this is the source for the list of Nintendo memorabilia I listed.

We didn't know about Mario's ability to transform in Odyssey until the E3 presentation, but his different transformations were still a big part of the E3 floor regardless.

If we get newcomers revealed in the E3 presentation (which seems like an obvious safe bet), I think Nintendo wouldn't care too much about possible spoilers from small little props. Honestly, it'd be a missed opportunity if they didn't try to advertise these newcomers in some way.

Besides, I'm fairly confident a handful of these newcomers are getting their own amiibo. They'd probably get spoiled from those way before the props would.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Very interesting...

Nintendo knows how leak-prone these things are, so maybe they'll keep all newcomer hints in their hands for now instead of on the showfloor.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Personally, my most satisfying unlock is in Melee...

Back to the character unlocking satisfaction thing, I think an amazing thing for them to do for DLC (and we know they're going to add DLC) would be to make the DLC you purchased NOT give you the character right away.

Instead, purchasing the DLC gives you access to a special event match where you face a challenge against that character to unlock them.
i can't even begin to explain how bad an idea that is. people would lose their minds if this was a thing.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
i can't even begin to explain how bad an idea that is. people would lose their minds if this was a thing.
As long as it's a single match I don't see the big deal. Not saying I think that's what they should or will do. But I wouldn't mind.

However if you meant you had to do a challenge and then fight them, like any other unlockable, that's a bit much. The only way I can see them do that or if it's like a season pass that includes the next 5 characters and as they are added you have to unlock them. Don't see it happening but wouldnt be as bad.

I seriously hope the do a season pass this time...like $20 for 5+ fighters. Opposed to ... What were they like $5-7 each?!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
i knew about the it, i'm just sayin' that they need to provide some ****ing citation to say it's 'better' at all. ****ing christ.

gah, rex looks so ****ing dumb in that. i really didn't think it could get worse than his diver outfit but nope, another great surprise. ****ing god i couldn't kick him out of the party fast enough. morag should've been the main character.
This is a pretty over top reaction to what basically comes down to 'I don't like how this looks'.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
We still have like a month and a half to go. I think we're not going to get any real info until either right before E3, or during E3. And at that point I'm betting at least 1 character reveal, depending on how they choose to space things out and how many newcomers they're even adding. And of course the biggest reveal, the gameplay itself.

I wonder if they'll put out demos in stores like they did for Brawl and Sm4sh. I remember getting to play Sm4sh early at a best buy.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
We still have like a month and a half to go. I think we're not going to get any real info until either right before E3, or during E3. And at that point I'm betting at least 1 character reveal, depending on how they choose to space things out and how many newcomers they're even adding. And of course the biggest reveal, the gameplay itself.

I wonder if they'll put out demos in stores like they did for Brawl and Sm4sh. I remember getting to play Sm4sh early at a best buy.
I'm really hoping they do a "test punch" event like they did with arms. Either that or an actual downloadable demo. Those are much better alternatives than hope there's a Best Buy in your area that's hosting the event and get prepared to wait on line.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm really hoping they do a "test punch" event like they did with arms. Either that or an actual downloadable demo. Those are much better alternatives than hope there's a Best Buy in your area that's hosting the event and get prepared to wait on line.
There was a downloadable demo for Sm4sh as well, I remember playing it a bunch on my 3DS. Unless the release date ends up being super close, I see no reason why they wouldn't keep that pattern up.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
There was a downloadable demo for Sm4sh as well, I remember playing it a bunch on my 3DS. Unless the release date ends up being super close, I see no reason why they wouldn't keep that pattern up.
I remember everyone clamoring for the codes, since the demo originally wasn't given out to everybody on the eShop.

Also nobody ever closing the game because you had a limited number of uses on 3DS demos (such an awful system IMHO.) I really do hope the Switch has a demo that isn't limited timed or limited use, it would be a great way to get a feel for how the game (and items/characters/stages) they choose play before release.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I remember everyone clamoring for the codes, since the demo originally wasn't given out to everybody on the eShop.

Also nobody ever closing the game because you had a limited number of uses on 3DS demos (such an awful system IMHO.) I really do hope the Switch has a demo that isn't limited timed or limited use, it would be a great way to get a feel for how the game (and items/characters/stages) they choose play before release.
Also they need to let you be able to play more than 5 characters and 1 stage this time.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Brings back fond memories of Miiverse. Code-beggars flooded the Smash Community the day the "unlimited plays" demos were distributed. Got so bad that Nintendo had to put "asking others for download codes is strictly prohibited," on the top of the main page.

Last edited:

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
A little late but regarding the unlockables characters, what if it's like Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 when it came to the Switch? You get the option to download a free update to unlock all characters, that way you get to decide if you unlock the chatracters or they're unlocked from the start.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

My hopes aren't particularly high for that, as much as I'd love to see it be the case. Even Pokkén DX had a limited-use (15 matches) demo. I would think that Smash would follow in the Testfire/punch scenario, but worry that since it's such a huge franchise, it would immediately break the servers.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Back to the character unlocking satisfaction thing, I think an amazing thing for them to do for DLC (and we know they're going to add DLC) would be to make the DLC you purchased NOT give you the character right away.

Instead, purchasing the DLC gives you access to a special event match where you face a challenge against that character to unlock them.

I would have loved to be required to use Marth to duel Roy, or beat Cloud using the summons of Midgar, or having to beat Bayonetta by repeatedly using the Timer item. You're not purchasing a character, you're purchasing the chance to EARN that character in a unique way; this would give greater value to said purchase because it includes an entirely new sequence, and it would give even more value to the characters themselves because you still had to work to earn them. (This would also remove that Pay-to-Win mentality.)
I'd be cool with this, but I imagine a lot of people would be annoyed. If playing the game to unlock secret characters is already too much of a hassle for these people, having to earn the DLC you just bought is going to be a no-go.

Side Note: Had my first Smash Bros dream in a loooong time. A leaked reveal trailer that was going to be tagged onto the end of some business conference :laugh: It featured a giant crystal pillar in the desert where everyone was fighting a dragon, all to eventually reveal Mew and Plusle + Minun as new fighters.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You guys should have been in Sora's Rate Their Chance day. Sora's RTC day was one of the most engaging RTC days I have ever participated in. It was so much fun to discuss all the inner aspects that could favor or not help Sora's chances. I dunno if I will ever be that engaged again, unless Isabelle and Tom Nook provide an interesting amount of perspectives to argue against. But man it was a great discussion! :estatic:

I feel more assured about my Sora prediction now. Although, I refuse to raise expectations so high, I will keep them moderate for now.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So apart from the leaks, any news of a direct or anything of that variety?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So apparently, the Labo variety kit in Japan sold twice as many copies as God of War. Fans of the PS are throwing a huge fuss about it (not sure why though, as GoW probably creamed Labo in NA and especially EU).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...lmost_double_the_sales_of_god_of_war_in_japan

Setting the ridiculous comparison of GoW to Labo aside, do you think there's a chance we might see anything Labo-related in this Smash? The timing is pretty bad, so I doubt we'll get a base roster character out of this, but do you think we could get a stage or DLC based off of Labo if the brand continues to sell well?

Or does the idea of cardboard in Smash fall flat for you? :p

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I doubt we'll see Labo in Smash 5 aside from probably a trophy or something at the last minute, it was very likely a thing that was thought up much later than when they started planning Smash 5 and stuff.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
So apparently, the Labo variety kit in Japan sold twice as many copies as God of War. Fans of the PS are throwing a huge fuss about it (not sure why though, as GoW probably creamed Labo in NA and especially EU).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...lmost_double_the_sales_of_god_of_war_in_japan

Setting the ridiculous comparison of GoW to Labo aside, do you think there's a chance we might see anything Labo-related in this Smash? The timing is pretty bad, so I doubt we'll get a base roster character out of this, but do you think we could get a stage or DLC based off of Labo if the brand continues to sell well?

Could get a DLC stage ala Mario Maker

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So apart from the leaks, any news of a direct or anything of that variety?
Nope and we are continuing to get updates on games and release dates (Sonic Mania Plus was announced and Octopath has a release date), so I'm sticking to my guns and saying we aren't getting anything big till E3.

And that sucks. And I hope I'm wrong.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Not that suprising, Kratos wasn't even on the box of the Japanese version of PSASBR

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

Your right that it's a ridiculous comparison. Comparing a rated M, primarily experienced gamer related experience to what is basically a toy for all ages is going to be screwy because we aren't even comparing the same audience there. There might be some cross over but not enough to make it a statement of anything.

Staarih

Smash Master
Setting the ridiculous comparison of GoW to Labo aside, do you think there's a chance we might see anything Labo-related in this Smash?
While I still think stuff like ARMS and XC2 might have a chance to get in Smash even pre-DLC, Labo is probably too late. Maybe a stage as DLC, sure, but I also kinda feel like Labo could get the whole set of character + stage + trophies in a future Smash game, after it has really established itself as a (successful?) franchise.

Glad to see it opening well upon release, I wonder what the reception was in the west. I'm totally expecting the Labo-series to expand and become an evergreen title on the Switch, just because of all the creations users have come up with (and it's only been a week).

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
What is with the recent rise of popularity with these kinds of threads:

It makes me seriously curious.
It started with the 12-Man Roster Game and it eventually lead to the 40 and 26 sized versions. Its a fun and interesting game where we make our own rosters of those sizes, where everyone is asked the questions "what if the next Smash Bros. game had its roster size decreased to only 12/26/40 slots like in 64/Melee/Brawl? who would be in the roster?"

Plus, there's not too much else to really do with the lack of news anyways.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
God of War is awesome. I prefer the Kratos we get there, who manages to hold his anger.
Makes me really want him in Smash if, someday, Sony and Nintendo manage to get along.
Also I hope that half of the characters are unlockable. This is one of the best part for me in the Smash. series, being rewarded of a new hero after completing certain conditions (20 hours for Mewtwo!).
However it seems Sakurai will only make 12 characters locked again. With Game and Watch, Falco, Ganondorf, Duck Hunt and R.O.B. for sure.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
God of War is awesome. I prefer the Kratos we get there, who manages to hold his anger.
Makes me really want him in Smash if, someday, Sony and Nintendo manage to get along.
Also I hope that half of the characters are unlockable. This is one of the best part for me in the Smash. series, being rewarded of a new hero after completing certain conditions (20 hours for Mewtwo!).
However it seems Sakurai will only make 12 characters locked again. With Game and Watch, Falco, Ganondorf, Duck Hunt and R.O.B. for sure.
I’d rather keep Pit as our only mythological hero over a dude with anger issues who slaughters innocent people.

Then again I really want Viridi and she committed genocide...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm actually very OK with the lack of info right now.

We can just cruise right into E3 nice and slow.

Am I broken?
:233:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Your right that it's a ridiculous comparison. Comparing a rated M, primarily experienced gamer related experience to what is basically a toy for all ages is going to be screwy because we aren't even comparing the same audience there. There might be some cross over but not enough to make it a statement of anything.
japanease gaming market has never had th eamerican need o flbood and violence in their games. its a cultural difference top Japanese anime (one piece and one punch man are comedies meanwhile in america top shows are game of thrones and westworld.

labo might get a stage but i'd doubt a character.

we havent talked about new competitive mechanics we hope to see. outside of wavedashing is there anything else people would like to see? I'd like a perfect guard mechanic (think soulcalibur 5) and throw tech (seriously where is this feature). maybe even a true counter-hit state.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

https://www.kirbyinformer.com/singl...Twitter-account-prepares-something-mysterious

Bandana Dee confirmed.

No, but seriously, I wonder what is this.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

https://www.kirbyinformer.com/singl...Twitter-account-prepares-something-mysterious

Bandana Dee confirmed.

No, but seriously, I wonder what is this.
Let's hope "this"... is a Bandana Waddle Dee confirmation coming through xD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom