• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
What revamps do you wanna see. Do you wanna see Ganondorf get Ancient armor? Or possibly see Olimar get Rock & Winged Pikmin like in "Hey! Pikmin"?
-Ganondorf using his sexy HW design and moves based from it.
-Jigglypuff getting buffed, include Fairy type moves for her and change her Final Smash
-Zelda not sucking anymore(BoTW based using Champion powers)
-Maybe make Lucas lighter and faster and change his final smas(at least make it an improved version of his Brawl PK Starstorm)
-Give Peach a new Final Smash

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
-Give me Canon Ganondorfpls
- Please make Palutena's default special.... and moveset not be underwhelming.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
What revamps do you wanna see. Do you wanna see Ganondorf get Ancient armor? Or possibly see Olimar get Rock & Winged Pikmin like in "Hey! Pikmin"?
A bunch
Make Mario’s fireballs similar to his games, get rid of FLUDD, add more moves that reference his games
Give Luigi electric projectile ball to reference mario and Luigi rpg, have him use his Poltergust as a normal attack
Make Link’s moveset breath of the wild based, sheikah slate, champion powers, new weapons
Zelda should do the same, she needs an overhaul more than most. I’d personally like light arrow as a normal attack, champion powers, and perhaps a rapier
Ganondorf should dual wield swords for some attacks, his special moves except his side b should change
Palutena should get her best special moves
Dark Pit should use new kid Icarus uprising weapons to declone him.
Samus should get ice beam and melee counter, as well as faster projectiles

All I can think of for now and none of it is very likely

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Zelda does get a revamped moveset, I don't think it should revolve around the Champions. And no, I'm not just saying that because I want a Champion playable.

Think about it for a minute. BotW Zelda gets a revamped moveset revolving around the Champions and it turns out great. It's a huge improvement to her overall, and we end up loving the changes. Zelda rises up the tier list and actually becomes a viable character in competitive play.

...And then Smash Switch becomes old news, and we're all hyped because the next Smash game just got announced and BotW Zelda is getting replaced by the newest version.

What would Sakurai do then? He has this fantastic moveset that fans responded well to, but he can't find a reasonable way to carry it over to the next Zelda. Will he be forced to keep BotW Zelda? Will he keep the moveset and give the latest Zelda access to Champion abilities even though she has no relation to them whatsoever?

As much as I dislike the current moveset for Zelda, it does have one good thing going for it. The moveset is so generic and nonspecific that you could literally give it to any version of Zelda without it seeming weird or out of place. The same can't be said with the Champions and their abilities. If we do get a revamped moveset, I think our best bet is going to be something that isn't entirely exclusive to the BotW world. Something small and simple like Link's bombs or his Gale Boomerang that can easily be worked around with different versions of Link.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
  • :4kirby:: Specials changed to different Copy Abilities, maybe a few Copy Abilities as normals.
  • :4sonic:: More moves that aren't just spinning around.
  • :4yoshi:: More/better references to the Yoshi series.
  • :4ness::4lucas:: Using PSI they can actually use.
  • :4ganondorf:: Complete 80% or more revamp, with actual references to the LoZ series.
  • :4fox::4falco:: More/better references to the Star Fox series.
  • :4bowserjr:: Using the Magic Paintbrush as a standard weapon.
  • :4dk:: More/better references to the Donkey Kong series.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If Zelda does get a revamped moveset, I don't think it should revolve around the Champions. And no, I'm not just saying that because I want a Champion playable.

Think about it for a minute. BotW Zelda gets a revamped moveset revolving around the Champions and it turns out great. It's a huge improvement to her overall, and we end up loving the changes. Zelda rises up the tier list and actually becomes a viable character in competitive play.

...And then Smash Switch becomes old news, and we're all hyped because the next Smash game just got announced and BotW Zelda is getting replaced by the newest version.

What would Sakurai do then? He has this fantastic moveset that fans responded well to, but he can't find a reasonable way to carry it over to the next Zelda. Will he be forced to keep BotW Zelda? Will he keep the moveset and give the latest Zelda access to Champion abilities even though she has no relation to them whatsoever?

As much as I dislike the current moveset for Zelda, it does have one good thing going for it. The moveset is so generic and nonspecific that you could literally give it to any version of Zelda without it seeming weird or out of place. The same can't be said with the Champions and their abilities. If we do get a revamped moveset, I think our best bet is going to be something that isn't entirely exclusive to the BotW world. Something small and simple like Link's bombs or his Gale Boomerang that can easily be worked around with different versions of Link.
My problem with switching to a Champion based moveset is that not only is Zelda still associated with the goddesses in BotW, but Zelda also NEVER uses the Champion powers, Link does. Sure, they're her Champions, but that doesn't mean she gets their powers. And also there's the argument you brought up of the Champion powers losing relevance by the next iteration of Smash.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Zelda's specials can visually reflect the history, magic and lore of the next game, while functionally acting similar to the original template.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know I'm the minority here, but I don't think adding more references to the characters necessarily make them better representations.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Zelda never used the ocarina of time magic powers yet here we are with her current specials :rolleyes:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
That thing about how awesome him getting to be an Final Smash got shot down hard when Palutena and Viridi ridiculed him on top of being an Ike-clone. (Ironically enough, the FS itself is a copy of Ike's more or less) . And this kind of 'treatment' still exists within the actual game. It is not just a fan-thing anymore - it's actually more or less enforced by the game for some reason.

I have said it many times before in the past, if they didn't do ridiculing on him and such in the first place, I would have taken in his role in the game with much more warmer hands. But even today, his ridiculing has gone on games like Project X Zone 2, which has had me realize sadly how much deep these kind of portrayals for characters can seep to their future appearances. I wish Smash Bros wouldn't use it's sheer influence to ruin characters like that ever again, at least this straightforwardly. But I'm asking impossibility here, knowing Sakurai's loved sense of humour.

Depending on if the Guidance lines and premise for Robin's own with that whole ridiculing was even pre-determined long before reveal trailer itself, it was still Sakurai's choice to paint Chrom's inclusion in a mocking light, for some reason. I personally resent that kind of thing to just about anything regarding things like this, and seeing it happen to one of my wanted FE-newcomers was quite a kick in the teeth on me as a long-time Smash-fan.

Since then it hasn't made me very open on enjoying characters as I see many do here - and not exactly feel as hyped on Smash after what I've gone through during Smash 4's pre-and-post speculation days - including DLC with how Roy was more hated than welcome by Western fanbases. :050:
I often wonder if Elma was the sole Xenoblade newcomer added to Smash Switch, would Rex & Pyra be mocked by the fandom. I feel a repeat of the Chrom situation would happen again.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I often wonder if Elma was the sole Xenoblade newcomer added to Smash Switch, would Rex & Pyra be mocked by the fandom. I feel a repeat of the Chrom situation would happen again.
That wouldn’t make sense, maybe if Pyra is added but not Rex? I remember thinking maybe Chrom/Lucina would work as one character but they decided on just Lucina.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Zelda never used the ocarina of time magic powers yet here we are with her current specials :rolleyes:
While that's true, it also has to do with the fact that the Zelda is the mortal incarnation of the goddess Hylia. Also it was her duty in Breath of the Wild to pray to the Goddesses to grant her the strength to seal away Ganon. The Champions just protected her along the way.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I doubt it.

If Elma is sole base roster newcomer it's simply because Sakurai didn't have time to consider Rex. I very much doubt he'd point out that he picked Elma over him in this situation seeing as timing would be a big part and even if he later deems Rex too similar to Shulk?

It wouldn't even likely be mentioned unless in passing in an interview and there would be no trailer or codec talking down Rex in the game. That's what caused Chrom's situation.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
:4mario:- Would be nice at least a custom move involving Cappy. Or maybe see Cappy as an item?
:4link:- Some moveset changes to reflect his Breath of the Wild attire.
:4zelda:- Breath of the Wild attire with some better moves would be nice.
:4sheik:- Breath of the Wild attire, perhaps based off the Stealth Armor set in-game?
:4ganondorf:- Breath of the Wild inspired redesign, with an overhauled moveset would be great.
:4fox:- Star Fox Zero design.
:4falco:- Star Fox Zero design, with maybe some slight moveset changes to differentiate himself a bit more?
:4darkpit:- Should he return, at least make him use that staff of his so that he's no longer a clone of Pit.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Probably because in Ocarina of Time, she really doesn't do much to fill a four special set. I think because of her bond with Goddesses and Link, those spells fits her, just like using Pit's tecniques fits Palutena. And after that... they can't really create a new moveset for her everytime Nintendo makes a successful Legend of Zelda game.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I've seen this argument before and while it makes sense, Zelda has been using specific OOT spells and Link has used his Gale boomerang after as well.

I don't think it would be a big deal, but it's a reason why we might not get any BOTW updates for either Link or Zelda.

Also I agree with the idea that Zelda getting the champion powers doesn't make sense. Makes more sense she has the Sheikah Slate like the big nerd she is. But she never used the OOT spells either so whatever.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My problem with switching to a Champion based moveset is that not only is Zelda still associated with the goddesses in BotW, but Zelda also NEVER uses the Champion powers, Link does. Sure, they're her Champions, but that doesn't mean she gets their powers. And also there's the argument you brought up of the Champion powers losing relevance by the next iteration of Smash.
The Champion abilities are a better fit for Link, but even then it doesn't make much sense. The bombs (or in this case, Sheikah bombs) and bow compliment BotW Link much better than Champion abilites, and the boomerang, while not nearly as big as the other two, doesn't really seem like it needs to be replaced.

The only thing that really makes sense to me is replacing Link's up-special with Revali's Gale, and a single Champion ability seems really out of place.

I know I'm the minority here, but I don't think adding more references to the characters necessarily make them better representations.
And you're not wrong. Getting a BotW-inspired move would compliment Zelda for the time being, but it doesn't necessarily make her a better character.

Honestly, I don't think people really care if Zelda's moves come from BotW. They just want to see her get a better moveset.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The Champion abilities are a better fit for Link, but even then it doesn't make much sense. The bombs (or in this case, Sheikah bombs) and bow compliment BotW Link much better than Champion abilites, and the boomerang, while not nearly as big as the other two, doesn't really seem like it needs to be replaced.

The only thing that really makes sense to me is replacing Link's up-special with Revali's Gale, and a single Champion ability seems really out of place.

And you're not wrong. Getting a BotW-inspired move would compliment Zelda for the time being, but it doesn't necessarily make her a better character.

Honestly, I don't think people really care if Zelda's moves come from BotW. They just want to see her get a better moveset.
I would be shocked if they replaced Link's spin attack. It's been his signature move for the vast majority of Link's existence.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Well if she were to keep her current specials i’d at least like a rework, i’ll also list the breath of the wild equivalent in parenthesis
B - Light Arrow
Up b - farore’s wind (revali’s gale)
Down B - nayru’s love (daruk’s protection)
Side B - din’s fire (urbosa’s fury)

The phantom is really bad and it doesn’t fit the older Zelda look

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Before anybody gets crazy with moveset changes, keep in mind that consistency is good for a game like Smash. If you change how a character plays every game it can alienate players who previously mained said character. This is why Ganondorf has not changed.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the more changes made to existing characters, the fewer likely newcomers there are that would be added. Changing characters = dev time committed to changing those characters. The only character I truly think needs a change is Zelda, as her entire kit is trash. Imagine if Sakurai changes even small things for half the roster. Not only is an incredible amount of players alienated, but the time spent? That time could be spent on stages, new characters, or other hype worthy content.

I simply get the feeling that people think every little thing in the game needs to be altered to be relevant to new games. That isn’t really how game design works. I’m not a developer or anything, but you don’t change how characters play every title because it alienates those who enjoy the character.

Even if you view Smash as a party game, you can not deny the importance of having consistent movesets between games.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Even if Link's entire moveset is overhauled, if Toon Link returns, he'll still have the classic moveset we've been familiar with since Smash 64. Not to mention, he wouldn't even be a clone anymore if Link gets a lot of changes to his moves.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I would be shocked if they replaced Link's spin attack. It's been his signature move for the vast majority of Link's existence.
And he still has it in BotW.

Personally, I'd rather see Link take advantage of the Runes and use various weaponry for his moveset adjustments. I mean, the Champion abilities can be turned off in BotW, and are not in the slightest required. The runes and weapons are, however.

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
TBH I'd rather have Zelda keep her OoT moveset (albeit heavily buffed) while Link gets the BotW one with Champions powers as his special, with Toon Link keeping the original moveset. This would be the most complete thing IMO

Besides, I hope Zelda stays in her TP incarnation. I strongly dislike her BotW self.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I still have a feeling Toon Link will be replaced by classic Link. In melee young Link complimented Link because they were were the same person and visually it made sense. Twilight princess link didn’t have a young equivalent so toon link contrasted his darker color scheme and age. Now with breath of the wild Link he is more colorful and expressive like toon link, I don’t think it would contrast him very much. Plus breath of the wild constantly references classic link. The game itself was based on the original Zelda, and link’s tunic for completing all of the shrines greatly resembles the classic one.
Not to mention link between worlds was the most recent 2D Zelda and uses this design.
And most importantly the classic Zelda games have never been represented in smash.
I realize most of this is just looking into patterns and speculation but I think it may be possible.
He would be a mix of Link and toon link, with taller proportions, stronger attacks, but lighter and faster.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
:4mario:Hat throw as his grab.
:4luigi:Make the tornado his side special and give him the Poltergust for his down special.
:4bowser:Make him spit fireballs instead of a steady stream of fire.
:4wario2:Just make his forward smash the shoulder bash again, why did they even change that.
:4dk:C O C O N U T G U N
:4diddy:Dual peanut popguns.
:4link:I'd just give him remote bombs and a regular boomerang.
:4zelda:Give her all the buffs... and a new down special.
:4ganondorf:Sword and magic. Deadman's Volley. Completely redo him please Sakurai.
:4samus:Make her more like Mega Man with projectiles for standard attacks.
:4pit:Bring back the gliding mechanic and give it back to the appropriate characters.
:4palutena:Make Jumpglide her default recovery and just give her entirely new specials for the rest.
:4robinf:Get rid of the durability mechanic.
:4kirby:Bring back the Brawl hammer.
:4metaknight:Bring back Brawl Meta Knight.
:4dedede:Bring back Waddle Dees.
:4falco:Give him Wario's air speed and Arwing for a final smash.
:4ness:Give the yoyo its hitbox back on charges.
:4jigglypuff:Sparkly fairy effects?
:4greninja:Dark effects?
:4gaw:Give him more windboxes.
:4rob:Reference Stack Up somewhere in his moveset.
:4falcon:Give him a new game.
:4olimar:Bring back the squad, add Rock and Flying Pikmin, make his recovery the jetpack from Hey Pikmin.
:4wiifit:Less janky hitboxes.
:4shulk:For the love of god get rid of all the lag on his attacks.
:4pacman:Give his sprite attacks (fruit/ghosts) 3D models and fix his useless grab.
:4sonic:Make him Classic Sonic.
:4miibrawl:Revamp customization.
Even if Link's entire moveset is overhauled, if Toon Link returns, he'll still have the classic moveset we've been familiar with since Smash 64.
Toon Link keeping the classic moves would not make changing Link ok.

People main Link for Link, not Toon Link. He has an entirely different build and style, and some aren't fans of the toon aesthetic.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I still have a feeling Toon Link will be replaced by classic Link. In melee young Link complimented Link because they were were the same person and visually it made sense. Twilight princess link didn’t have a young equivalent so toon link contrasted his darker color scheme and age. Now with breath of the wild Link he is more colorful and expressive like toon link, I don’t think it would contrast him very much. Plus breath of the wild constantly references classic link. The game itself was based on the original Zelda, and link’s tunic for completing all of the shrines greatly resembles the classic one.
Not to mention link between worlds was the most recent 2D Zelda and uses this design.
And most importantly the classic Zelda games have never been represented in smash.
I realize most of this is just looking into patterns and speculation but I think it may be possible.
He would be a mix of Link and toon link, with taller proportions, stronger attacks, but lighter and faster.
I'm not sure. I feel like it would be really unfair to Toon Link considering how many games he has under his belt.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Talking about revamps, I think Zelda with a sword based moveset slightely inspired in Hyrule Warriors would be great. The specials should be kept but the normals are in desperate need of revamp. She is one of my favourites and seeing her suck is sad lol.
I was thinking of a moveset for her. I think she should levitate the sword to have more range.
For example, her smash attacks:
Forward: Zelda levitates the sword forwards, turns around and attack with magic backwards. She turns aound again and returns her sword. The tip of the sword on the maximum range is a sweet spot, and the magic attack is a powerful explosion just like his current Uair.
The same mechanic applies to Up and Down smashes, but with U-smash the sword goes up and the explosions are on the ground and with D-smash the sword spins around her and the explosion is upwards.
She could also have this mechanic in the aerials but having sour-spots in the tip of the sword instead, connecting the front to the stronger back hit.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I'm not sure. I feel like it would be really unfair to Toon Link considering how many games he has under his belt.
Yet I don’t see them using his design for another game. The last time was triforce heroes. Ocarina Link is probably the most iconic and popular and his design was changed too.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Yet I don’t see them using his design for another game. The last time was triforce heroes. Ocarina Link is probably the most iconic and popular and his design was changed too.
Wind Waker was recently remastered, and Triforce Heroes has been released between Smash Wii U and now. It's not like Toon Link has been ignored for a long time. I don't think Toon Link is going anywhere.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Errr actually your point is working against you.

They used Toon Link in the post Smash 4 - Pre Smash Switch period.

If anything that makes him safer.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Wind Waker was recently remastered, and Triforce Heroes has been released between Smash Wii U and now. It's not like Toon Link has been ignored for a long time. I don't think Toon Link is going anywhere.
So was twilight princess... At the very least he’s not going to be used the way he was during the DS era

And Link Between Worlds was a main game and was also released after smash 4 had already been planned. It was infinitely more popular and successful

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So was twilight princess... At the very least he’s not going to be used the way he was during the DS era
I don't quite understand how Twilight Princess is related to the discussion. The entire point here is that it'd be silly to remove Toon Link because he has received both a remaster and a new game. Twilight Princess was remastered, but there's also been a new mainline Zelda game. They're in different situations.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Talking about revamps, I think Zelda with a sword based moveset slightely inspired in Hyrule Warriors would be great. The specials should be kept but the normals are in desperate need of revamp. She is one of my favourites and seeing her suck is sad lol.
I was thinking of a moveset for her. I think she should levitate the sword to have more range.
For example, her smash attacks:
Forward: Zelda levitates the sword forwards, turns around and attack with magic backwards. She turns aound again and returns her sword. The tip of the sword on the maximum range is a sweet spot, and the magic attack is a powerful explosion just like his current Uair.
The same mechanic applies to Up and Down smashes, but with U-smash the sword goes up and the explosions are on the ground and with D-smash the sword spins around her and the explosion is upwards.
She could also have this mechanic in the aerials but having sour-spots in the tip of the sword instead, connecting the front to the stronger back hit.
What do you guys think?
As far as I know Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off title made by a third party. I seriously doubt next game will include anything from it aside from some trophies and maybe music.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
If breath of the wild link ends up being very different, I think fans of Link would rather have a character that is a mix of Link and toon Link than just toon link to carry on the normal smash bros link moveset.

Spikeez

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this was discussed before, but do you think that the Switch's portable mode will affect Smash in some way? I'm not just talking about graphics, but also performance and content in general.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't want Zelda to stray too far from what she has now.

If she gets revamped alongside her BoTW look just give her the Champions powers that Link uses.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
As far as I know Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off title made by a third party. I seriously doubt next game will include anything from it aside from some trophies and maybe music.
Metroid Other M received a lot of representation and it was also developed by team ninja.
Hyrule Warriors has by far the best Zelda design too

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I do hope there is something Thursday and Friday after the meeting.

That said though only 10 more pages until 1000 which is pretty impressive, although that fake leak did help.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I do hope there is something Thursday and Friday after the meeting.

That said though only 10 more pages until 1000 which is pretty impressive, although that fake leak did help.
I remember someone asking a while back what we thought would happen first. Us getting new info on Smash 5, or this thread reaching 1000 pages.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Metroid Other M received a lot of representation and it was also developed by Tecmo Koei.
Hyrule Warriors has by far the best Zelda design too
Oops, my mistake. I still think it's in a weird place, but you're right, I jumped the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom