• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm liking that new avatar, MainJPW MainJPW ! I've been on a Sega kick again lately. Working my way through Panzer Dragoon Orta right now.

D

Deleted member

Ok y'all just hear me out for a second

Captain America: Mario/Link
Iron Man: Samus
Thor: Either Pit or Palutena (not Pikachu because he's a mouse)
Black Widow: Zero Suit Samus
Hawkeye: Snake
Hulk: Kinky Dong

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm liking that new avatar, MainJPW MainJPW ! I've been on a Sega kick again lately. Working my way through Panzer Dragoon Orta right now.
I've been on something of a Sega Kick myself.

By which I mean I've been playing Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Which gives me the opening I've been waiting for to post this video I found.
*coughs*

D

Deleted member

I'm so mad :ultkrool: is good!

WAAAAAAAH
I mean, you can still play him if you want. You don't have to pick who you play based off of these lists if you don't want to.

I still play Rool, even if I agree that he was very overhyped at first. I think he's solid mid tier, but that's just me.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I mean, you can still play him if you want. You don't have to pick who you play based off of these lists if you don't want to.

I still play Rool, even if I agree that he was very overhyped at first. I think he's solid mid tier, but that's just me.
I know.

Personally I think more data is needed.

:ultkrool: really shows his faults when up against :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultike::ultchrom::ultroy: (kinda:ultcorrin:) (Not really :ultrobin:) You think:ultcloud: but really :ultshulk:

Everyone else is a matter of player skill. and online lag inputs....

Honestly once DLC wraps up at least season 1, everyone will probably be settled into their 'spots' and it'll be easier to see who goes where. Also patches happen. :ultmewtwo: was poo then Shadow ball got 16 buffs.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'd say Little Mac would be a better Banner, with Giga Mac being Hulk.

D

Deleted member

I know.

Personally I think more data is needed.

:ultkrool: really shows his faults when up against :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultike::ultchrom::ultroy: (kinda:ultcorrin:) (Not really :ultrobin:) You think:ultcloud: but really :ultshulk:

Everyone else is a matter of player skill. and online lag inputs....
TBH a lot of these tier lists we're getting now are super reactionary and it's way too early to start saying anything definitively about any of these characters. Heck, we don't even have the full roster yet and we're gonna get balance patches for a good while if Splatoon 2 was any indication, so honestly all of these lists are meaningless right now. We won't have solid data on anyone until all of the DLC characters are out and we have more major tourneys happen.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That makes hella sense.

Speaking of that, with Piranha Plant's stats, he seems to have a lot going for him. From his trailers, his frame date is pretty good too. Maybe Plant will actually be good?
Of course he will. He's plant.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Making tier lists right now is useless, cuz in a few months a dlc character is gonna dominate the game and ruin everything.

:ultpiranha:

D

Deleted member

So, now that it's been over a month since the game has come out, what are some character/s that you wanted to main, but aren't quite clicking with? Also, what characters have surprised you after you initially didn't give them much thought?

For me personally, :ultisabelle: isn't really working out for me, meanwhile :ultridley: constantly surprises me with how fun he seems to play and how he's actually a pretty solid character. I've been considering dropping Isabelle down into a more "For Funsies" kind of character, but I need to take her online first before I can really decide, I think. I don't know why she isn't clicking, TBH; I just can't figure out how to use her kit properly. Down-B and Side-B just seem so weird, and I'm struggling to come up with ideas of how to use them. Ridley is a different story, though: I love him! His air game feels great to me (which I'm a sucker for when it comes to Smash character), and he seems to have some pretty decent options available in his kit IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Making tier lists right now is useless, cuz in a few months a dlc character is gonna dominate the game and ruin everything.

:ultpiranha:
you think you got your list
planned out
to a T
yet i'm two
tiers ahead yeah

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
You know I wonder if Nintendo's aim for 3rd party DLC is to add all of the legacy JRPGs in the game(perhaps they're looking to promote JRPGs for 2019/2020). I mean we're getting Final Fantasy. SMT, and likely DQ in Smash. Tales and Kingdom Hearts are more or less the only major legacy JRPG series left. Tales is very likely to be added from all the hints and Insider Rumors. And Sora still has a chance since he's owned by Disney not SE.

D

Deleted member

Everybody goin crazy of early tier lists that probably won’t matter in the long run.

How tragic. Alexia, play Dispactio:

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, now that it's been over a month since the game has come out, what are some character/s that you wanted to main, but aren't quite clicking with? Also, what characters have surprised you after you initially didn't give them much thought?

For me personally, :ultisabelle: isn't really working out for me, meanwhile :ultridley: constantly surprises me with how fun he seems to play and how he's actually a pretty solid character. I've been considering dropping Isabelle down into a more "For Funsies" kind of character, but I need to take her online first before I can really decide, I think. I don't know why she isn't clicking, TBH; I just can't figure out how to use her kit properly. Down-B and Side-B just seem so weird, and I'm struggling to come up with ideas of how to use them. Ridley is a different story, though: I love him! Hid air game feels great to me (which I'm a sucker for when it comes to Smash character), and he seems to have some pretty decent options available in his kit IMO.
I was always mildly interested in :ultkrool:as a "when i'm in the mood" character. I ended up playing him like all the time he's so fun.

On the other hand, I really wanted to get good with :ultrosalina:cuz I love the character but something just isn't clicking.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm not fighting any Jokers, i'm not buying Joker, i'm not even gonna look at Joker until I play Persona 5.

I dunno when playing this damn game got so important, but i'm here now so I might as well commit.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
After speaking with a friend who is a big Smash fan yesterday, we could really come to a conclusion at to who would really make a splash in terms of characters as DLC.

I might try out the roster maker and compile what I, personally, think would make the biggest splashes in the gaming industry to add to Smash.

Granted, i’m still of the opinion that 3rd parties will likely come from Japanese companies just based on the fact that communication and best business practices would be far simpler when the meetings are in person after a car ride as opposed to mostly email and after taking a flight.

I’ll try that out later!

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know I wonder if Nintendo's aim for 3rd party DLC is to add all of the legacy JRPGs in the game(perhaps they're looking to promote JRPGs for 2019/2020). I mean we're getting Final Fantasy. SMT, and likely DQ in Smash. Tales and Kingdom Hearts are more or less the only major legacy JRPG series left. Tales is very likely to be added from all the hints and Insider Rumors. And Sora still has a chance since he's owned by Disney not SE.
You can say Persona instead of SMT, it's also pretty old, with its first game released in 1996. I feel like a broken record saying this, but they aren't the same series at all.

As for your question, no, I didn't feel like they care about JRPGs in particular. We only got two characters from it, compared to numerous platforming characters.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

For me personally, :ultisabelle: isn't really working out for me, meanwhile :ultridley: constantly surprises me with how fun he seems to play and how he's actually a pretty solid character. I've been considering dropping Isabelle down into a more "For Funsies" kind of character, but I need to take her online first before I can really decide, I think. I don't know why she isn't clicking, TBH; I just can't figure out how to use her kit properly. Down-B and Side-B just seem so weird, and I'm struggling to come up with ideas of how to use them. Ridley is a different story, though: I love him! His air game feels great to me (which I'm a sucker for when it comes to Smash character), and he seems to have some pretty decent options available in his kit IMO.
For a while I couldn't really play Squirtle but I forced him to click goshdanggit. I'm still a little sloppy with him but he's starting to make sense to me.

I won't lie I also expected Riddles to be pretty bad, just another big heavyweight, probably a bit better then Solozard because of his disjoints. I did not expect him to be the terror he is. He can wall you with with disjoints in neutral and make it feel impossible to approach. He can string together nairs and fairs to toss you offstage and make sure you don't come back.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I gave up on :ultdaisy: after being hyped as hell for her. The Peach moveset just isn't clicking with me. I get how it works, but I think too much when playing her. My GSP and W/L with Daisy online is dreadful. But after seeing a bunch of high level Peach play, I want to try her again.

Other than that, everything basically went how I imagined it would. Only surprising thing is still that I like playing :ultcorrin:. ****ing hated Fates.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
A character having their usability drop like a rock in the name of fairness is incredibly stupid. It's not like Marth was ever brokenly good.
His looks were broken, and it’s time for :ultroy::ultike::ultlucina::ultchrom: to shine (:ultrobin::ultcorrin: are fine)
Er, no it's not about "**** you, you were high tier last games, you need to be low tier this one."

It's about "nothing comboes, nothing kills, nothing is safe, " and fishing for kills up into the 200%s. In a fish heavy game, there's zero reason to pick Marth over Lucina.
We’re only a little over a month into the game, and it’s not like people won’t realzis Marth is still among the top characters (a similar “punishment occurred to him in the Smash 4 era at the beginning). Heck, a majority of us all thought K Rool would be a top tier character and have lots of combos and most people thought Chrom would be low tier trash (also most assumed Pit would stay as a mid tier character as usual), no point in judging a character so early when the meta can quickly change...now we got high/top tier Chrom and high tier Pit (who also isn’t the best at killing early, so that shouldn’t be a big problem for Marth)

Pit would be a combo of Spider-Man and Hawkeye

KMDP

Smash Legend

Captain America: Link
Thor: Robin
Black Widow: Bayonetta
Hawkeye: Pit
Hulk: Little Mac

I think this fits somewhat better.

Robin (specifically Grima) is also Loki
Sonic is Quicksilver... obviously.
Dark Samus is War Machine
Wolf is Nick Fury

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I need to git gud at this game. I kinda suck severely.
Same here, lol. I've only been able to play 50 Quick Plays fights in total so far because I've been too busy trying to play other games alongside Smash, so I'm probably gonna be pretty bad when I go back on.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Same here, lol. I've only been able to play 50 Quick Plays fights in total so far because I've been too busy trying to play other games alongside Smash, so I'm probably gonna be pretty bad when I go back on.
My friend is way too good, losing is an inevitability in our fights. I f I get really good our fights can finally be even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom