• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I never liked tier lists, they don't really mean anything. Every single one essentially boils down to "these are the characters that I'm good with, therefore they're obviously the best."
Nnnnnnnnnnooooooo...?

Tier lists are based on tournament results and the general feelings of the community from experience playing as and against each character. It's not "me personally", unless you're referring to the random threads made by people with twenty total posts saying "this is my tier list".

Tier lists are not scripture. They change based on results and an evolving meta, and shouldn't be taken as a fact. Just because Peach is a higher tier than Ike doesn't mean an Ike player can't beat a Peach player. Individual matches come down to an abundance of factors; the tier placement is simply meant to give a reasonable estimate of which character is more likely to win in more matches.

Think of it like playoff seeding. A #1 seed has multiple advantages (home field advantage, usually a bye to rest, better record in the season, etc.) but that doesn't at all guarantee that they won't lose to a #6 seed. It's happened many times in the history of every sport. But you know what happens more often? The #1 seed wins. They're the #1 seed for a reason.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
That'd make R.O.B. the weakest character since he's not imaginary and therefore can't do anything besides pick up some sticks.
Yeah but in Smash he can do more than pick up stuff: firing lasers isn't the most impressive power, but it probably puts him above characters like Villager power-wise
Outside Smash, in real life, he doesn't have any powers as, as you said, all he does is pick up stuff. But the other cast can't do anything at all because they're not real.

Checkmate Kirby, Sonic and other god-slayers ;)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
*stares at all the people who keep saying Professor Layton will never happen*
Oh he will happen, even if we have to come back for the next Smash!

And the next Smash, and the next Smash, and the next Smash, and the next Smash, and the next Smash, and the next Smash.......

A mii fighter costume is fine too.... ; _ ;

D

Deleted member

Oh he will happen, even if we have to come back for the next Smash!

And the next Smash, and the next Smash, and the next Smash, and the next Smash, and the next Smash, and the next Smash.......

A mii fighter costume is fine too.... ; _ ;
Least he has better chances than a certain demon summoner I know. :(

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Huh.

Not sure if this is old news, but apparently a Czech retailer accidentally outed the release date of Metroid Prime 4 for Nov. 29th. That is a Friday, and placeholder dates are usually Dec. 31st when they know it's coming in winter but not much past that.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Yeah there was going to be that fanmade "mother 4", but last I checked it imploded on itself. There probably other games that capture part of the feel of those games, I just haven't really looked.

Man I never thought about it before, but Stranger Things has that same mystique as Earthbound in some ways. Something about a small group of suburban kids fighting against a dark and alien force. For some reason I really enjoy that dynamic, its a shame that the ST game didn't capitalize on this.
If you like that dynamic, I'd definitely check out the game Crossing Souls if you haven't already. It's pretty much exactly what you described and it's fun too.

(Also sorry for the late response. I've been catching up on this thread)

D

Deleted member

I changed my avatar cuz I have exams coming up lol
Is the Mother discussion still going?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The canonically strongest character in Smash is Isabelle and here's my evidence:
-No character outside of her universe even attempt to appear in her trailer, this is the first hint that others are too afraid of her power
-Holds a pocket dimension in her hands she can access at any time. "Oh but Villager has it too!". Fool, who do you think granted them such power?
-Said pocket dimension can hold anything she eants, even people as we see she summons Tom Nook and his two helpers to build a Town Hall. She could effectivelly enslave anyone in the cast.
-Speaking of her pocket dimension, it actually powers up any objects that enter it by almost double their original power.
-She wields a Fishing Rod, a symbol of strength as seen in Hunter x Hunter
-Has enough force to launch someone as heavy as Bowser to the shadow realm with a simple slingshot
-Shown to be able to manipulate luck itself as her turnips are always consistent unlike Villager.
-Actually uses tax money appropiatelly
-We all know how well she can break the limits of the World and bend it to her will, allowing her to summon infinite copies of the same Assist as if it was simple child's play
-Has never been shown to get hurt in canon. Her expressions in Smash are just her playing along to make the fighters believe they have at least a spark of a chance
-Defeated Goku, Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet and Kirito during the events of Infinity⅔ Wars all at once in issue #301

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
so...is there anything useful to be discussing here?
The canonically strongest character in Smash is Isabelle and here's my evidence:
-No character outside of her universe even attempt to appear in her trailer, this is the first hint that others are too afraid of her power
-Holds a pocket dimension in her hands she can access at any time. "Oh but Villager has it too!". Fool, who do you think granted them such power?
-Said pocket dimension can hold anything she eants, even people as we see she summons Tom Nook and his two helpers to build a Town Hall. She could effectivelly enslave anyone in the cast.
-Speaking of her pocket dimension, it actually powers up any objects that enter it by almost double their original power.
-Has enough force to launch someone as heavy as Bowser to the shadow realm with a simple slingshot
-Shown to be able to manipulate luck itself as her turnips are always consistent unlike Villager.
-We all know how well she can break the limits of the World and bend it to her will, allowing her to summon infinite copies of the same Assist as if it was simple child's play
-Has never been shown to get hurt in canon. Her expressions in Smash are just her playing along to make the fighters believe they have at least a spark of a chance
-Defeated Goku, Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet and Kirito during the events of Infinity⅔ Wars all at once in issue #301
oh something that’s actually and truly important to Smash Bros, and all of this is entirely true

Pakky

Smash Hero
She also giggles when you poke her tum-tum :3

Minus the creepy ones :(

Edited for clarification because ew.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
This is actually one of the most accurate breakdowns I’ve seen on Smashboards.

I don’t know how to feel about that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The answer is to buff Marth. Please, Sakurai, he needs help.
No he doesn’t. Marth has spent 3-4 (if you wanna count the 3DS version of Smash 4) games as the best FE character and one of the best characters overall, having others surpass him for once isn’t gonna do any harm to his reputation like it did to Bayo or Diddy

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
But, what happened to her ability to summon infinite quantities of healing fruit that she had in Smash 4?
Is she only able to heal others, not herself? If anything ever happens that would injure her, is there nothing that can be done?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No he doesn’t. Marth has spent 3-4 (if you wanna count the 3DS version of Smash 4) games as the best FE character and one of the best characters overall, having others surpass him for once isn’t gonna do any harm to his reputation like it did to Bayo or Diddy
A character having their usability drop like a rock in the name of fairness is incredibly stupid. It's not like Marth was ever brokenly good.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Komoriki's tier list. No order within a tier:
Marth, the nerfs have finally got to him. Look at how they massacred my boy.
This is legitimately the first time I've ever seen Lucina a) beneath Corrin, and b) not high tier in general.

I want to know the reasoning.

D

Deleted member

Since everyone is talking about their most wanted characters, as long as any of these gets in, I'll be very happy:

3rd Party:
- Slime (Dragon Quest)
- Quote (Cave Story)
- Hunter (Monster Hunter)
- Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
- Defender (Etrian Odyssey)
- Zero (Megaman X/Zero) (let me dream ;-; )

1st Party:
- Magolor (Kirby)
- Vaati or Ravio (The Legend of Zelda)
- Decidueye (Pokémon)
I've said it before, but this is my most wanted:

3rd Party:
Monkey D Luffy
Saitama
Yuga
Playmaker

1st Party
Monk Maz Koshia