• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Hey dose anyone know how I can get the let’s go spirits without spending $120? I completed all the challenges but they weren’t there

What do I do?
They're circulating on the ingame shop now. I got Eevee (Let's Go) that way.

Prolly the Torah dlc thing, I gotcha
tora the golden nopon

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You know, it doesn't reflect well on you to block someone for having a dissenting opinion.

And that's all I'll say on the matter, I don't care who you support.
Everyone Else: "You shouldn't block people. They might have something to add to the conversation even if you don't agree with them."
Me:
blocked.jpg

Pakky

Smash Hero
Late at night I asked myself

"Why is Wario fat if all he eats is garlic?"

No sleep was had.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hey dose anyone know how I can get the let’s go spirits without spending $120? I completed all the challenges but they weren’t there

What do I do?
you spend $120 I think they'll be released for free sometime in the future, but I'm not sure.

edit: nvm they're in the game's shop now because we better nerf :ultgreninja: edit 2: or maybe not? idk, maybe they'll show up in the shop sometime.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Everyone Else: "You shouldn't block people. They might have something to add to the conversation even if you don't agree with them."
Me:
View attachment 186322
What if I'm so sinful that my sin meter rolls over to being pure?

Ridley- check
K. Rool- check
Piranha plant- probably
Cloud- yeah

Fire emblem: Sakurai pulls an UNO reverse card for his rule
*stares at all the people who keep saying Professor Layton will never happen*

Ok, “should” and “deserve” are two very different things.
I knew that before posting what I did and I still don't care :happysheep:

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
If you wanted to talk about a sword fighter with no range attacks, Robin and Corrin are bad examples.

Anyway, I don't know what's so hard about new sword fighters, he could have new and interesting ninja magic that Greninja doesn't use. His normals might be a bit similar to some other sword fighters, but it's not like same thing doesn't happen with brawlers.
I didn't mention Robin and Corrin (Or are you saying they didn't have range attacks in their games but do in Smash?)

But anyway, I think my posts may have been misinterpreted. I was looking for cool moveset ideas for Ryu, not trying to say he won't be unique. I guess I should have just said "What kind of moveset do you think Ryu would have? Would he be a quick swordsman, a ranged shuriken thrower, or a hybrid?"

By saying "How will he be unique compared to FE fighters" I was accidentally making an argument that all swordsman characters would be the same, which was not my intention.

So I'll just start over. What kind of moveset would Ryu have? lol

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322

What do I do?
something something they'll prolly do a Pokemon let's go themed event and you can get them then

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
If we're talking non-video game characters for Smash the only acceptable answer is GoldenEye Brosnan-era Bond

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
If we're talking non-video game characters for Smash the only acceptable answer is GoldenEye Brosnan-era Bond
technically R.O.B. is one too, he's in that uncanny valley

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Team Rocket should be in Smash.

They originated from the anime, but so did Goku Lucario and Ash-Greninja, and Nintendo, Sakurai, and The Pokemon Company do what they want.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I never liked tier lists, they don't really mean anything. Every single one essentially boils down to "these are the characters that I'm good with, therefore they're obviously the best."

D

Deleted member

I noticed Malos in your list of characters that will literally never happen. I haven't played through all of Xenoblade 2 yet (I think I got to the part where you awaken Roc and took a break). But I thought he was pretty cool. How would you want him to be repped as a character in smash?
I can't really say this without a XC2 spoiler, it was all over the DLC trailers so if you've already seen them then you're good
I would like to see him as either a Shulk echo or some sorta derivative Shulk-style stat changer since he also has a Monado. If he was unique I would love to see him being a more offensively oriented stat-changer who has less recovery options but his arts are more focused on dealing and tanking damage. His specials would also reflect this, with his up-b being Monado Cyclone which does a whole buncha damage but isn't that good at recovering, for example. He would also have a unique mechanic revolving around his Monado Jail move which would be his down-b, and would seal special moves for a very short amount of time. His side-b would be Monado Eater, which is a move that spawns a large damaging dome in front of him, and his neutral-b would be standard Monado Arts but with differences then Shulk (like lacking Jump but having a stronger version of Shield called Armor which has way less drawbacks then Shulk's or having a weaker Speed but having a better Buster called Enchant). His normals could just be his attacks in XC2 with a couple of references to his driver form as well (like a Ganon-uptilt esue mvoe with Chakra Burst)

If he was an echo he would just be Shulk with different special names (Vision to Foresight, Back Slash to Striker Edge, and Air Slash to, uh, I actually have no idea) and having the Lucina-esque thing of no Back Slash sweetspot and a different animation for Foresight that otherwise functions the same.

Either way his FS should be a team-up with Jin where they rip into the opponent with Arts and Malos finishes it with a Monado Buster since we STILL don't have a good rep of one of the most iconic Xenoblade moves -_-

I don't think he's happening, but if Rex or Elma got in they would likely also be stat-changers with Rex's blade switching or Elma's weapon switching so I think it would be cool for Xenoblade characters to be the "stat-changers" like how FE characters are the swordies, Kirby characters are jumpers, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I didn't mention Robin and Corrin (Or are you saying they didn't have range attacks in their games but do in Smash?)

But anyway, I think my posts may have been misinterpreted. I was looking for cool moveset ideas for Ryu, not trying to say he won't be unique. I guess I should have just said "What kind of moveset do you think Ryu would have? Would he be a quick swordsman, a ranged shuriken thrower, or a hybrid?"

By saying "How will he be unique compared to FE fighters" I was accidentally making an argument that all swordsman characters would be the same, which was not my intention.

So I'll just start over. What kind of moveset would Ryu have? lol
I'm sorry, I mistook Robin and Corrin for FE fighters

He fights with a katana, he can throw shurikens and fire balls, and he has a unique command grab that makes him pile driver his opponents. This thread has a few movesets for him, if you're curious: https://smashboards.com/threads/jus...ash-switch-ninja-gaiden-dead-or-alive.446366/

KMDP

Smash Legend
Late at night I asked myself

"Why is Wario fat if all he eats is garlic?"

No sleep was had.
Well...

Eat enough of anything and you'll get fat.

Apparently, Image Streaming helps you get to sleep (a kind of visualization exercise, not the data kind)

To put it simply, you look at a (mild) light source (like a candle) or rub your eyes, then turn off the lights (if you used light), close your eyes and basically cloud watch the shapes that form.

It's meant to cure Aphantasia (an inability to see things in your minds eye) but also helps as a sleep aid.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
technically R.O.B. is one too, he's in that uncanny valley
As the only character that originates from outside a videogame, ROB is canonically the most powerful fighter on the roster. Sure, all he can do in real life is slowly play Stack-Up and Gyromite. But the rest of the roster don't even exist in real life. If ROB challenges them to a smackdown, they'll never turn up so he'll always win by default.

GyroMIGHT.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As the only character that originates from outside a videogame, ROB is canonically the most powerful fighter on the roster. Sure, all he can do in real life is slowly play Stack-Up and Gyromite. But the rest of the roster don't even exist in real life. If ROB challenges them to a smackdown, they'll never turn up so he'll always win by default.

GyroMIGHT.
In 3D World? Sure. In Flatland? :ultgnw: all the way.

Just a penguin

Smash Master
What if I'm so sinful that my sin meter rolls over to being pure?

*stares at all the people who keep saying Professor Layton will never happen*

I knew that before posting what I did and I still don't care :happysheep:
I'm just imagining Ferris Bueller acting bad so that his sin meter rolls over like in the film.

Meanwhile:
Sakurai: You jinxed it. Now Layton will never get in.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So I played a couple hours of Panzer Dragoon Orta on XB1 the other night.

I ****ing love Panzer Dragoon, guys. Figured this needed shared.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
A couple of people have quoted me with Cloud and Joker, but those go entirely with my point.

Cloud himself was never prominent on Nintendo, but Final Fantasy was. No matter how you slice it, he’s the biggest character of Final Fantasy, so it feels natural to include him. I’ve been a Cloud supporter for a LONG time for that very reason.

I’d very much argue the same for Joker. Persona is a spin-off of Shin Megami Tensei, which has PLENTY of Nintendo games. Joker just so happens to be the big character so many people like.

Dante is a great character, and he’s appeared in Project X Zone, but there has never been a Devil May Cry game on a Nintendo console. That is my entire point. Don’t read any further into it lol

And, for the third time, I don’t think that makes Dante less likely. He’s just less desirable to ME PERSONALLY because I would prefer a character I more associate with Nintendo, and Capcom has an actual ton of those.
You still have to go through hurdles to get to that conclusion though.
I mean, it can be done for Dante in two different ways.
1) Dante is own by Capcom, Capcom has supported Nintendo. Also created by Kamiya, who created Bayonetta and Wonderful 101, he's supported Nintendo.
2) DMC was originally Resident Evil 4, RE has appeared on many Nintendo systems.

Still though, Nintendo and Sakurai don't care about any of this. Sakurai only wants fun characters that mean something to video game history. Nintendo wants more money and to bring non-Nintendo/Smash fans to Smash.

Also, Persona has only tangential links to Shin Megami Tensei, they aren't really considered spin-off games in Japan, even if they did spin-off of a spin-off, Shin Megami Tensei if..they only called them Shin Megami Tensei: Persona in the West. It's still a series that hasn't had much history on Nintendo consoles.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You still have to go through hurdles to get to that conclusion though.
I mean, it can be done for Dante in two different ways.
1) Dante is own by Capcom, Capcom has supported Nintendo. Also created by Kamiya, who created Bayonetta and Wonderful 101, he's supported Nintendo.
2) DMC was originally Resident Evil 4, RE has appeared on many Nintendo systems.

Still though, Nintendo and Sakurai don't care about any of this. Sakurai only wants fun characters that mean something to video game history. Nintendo wants more money and to bring non-Nintendo/Smash fans to Smash.

Also, Persona has only tangential links to Shin Megami Tensei, they aren't really considered spin-off games in Japan, even if they did spin-off of a spin-off, Shin Megami Tensei if..they only called them Shin Megami Tensei: Persona in the West. It's still a series that hasn't had much history on Nintendo consoles.
tbh, number 2 is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge stretch.

D

Deleted member

I never liked tier lists, they don't really mean anything. Every single one essentially boils down to "these are the characters that I'm good with, therefore they're obviously the best."
Eh I agree player skill matters way more, but if you got two players on an equal skill level and gave one Chrom and the other one Little Mac then at that point character choice would affect who wins, right? That's what the tier list is based off, when people are on complete equal skill AND have very advanced knowledge of the matchup and the games mechanics, and are also on the higher levels of competitive play. I would bet most of us aren't on that level, and tiers don't really matter to us. But to players like Leffen or Zero, character choice hella matters.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Not that I'm a competitive player but the tier list shows how each character does in competitive tournament matches, since there's patches it could help to those that might need buffs or nerfs depending upon how well a character is.

Also it's impossible for everyone to be on the same level since there's always those who are more dominant than others. That being said the list shouldn't immediately determine what characters you play as, you should use whoever you enjoy playing as.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think that was his point.

But what ended up becoming DMC was originally meant to be RE4 for the Gamecube. I still can't believe that that was almost the case. They would've royally ****ed up Resident Evil.

D

Deleted member

I don’t really care about tier lists either.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yup, I know.
Just an over the top example of how people will stretch to justify how Cloud, Joker, and Snake still count as Nintendo representation.
Team Rocket should be in Smash.

They originated from the anime, but so did Goku Lucario and Ash-Greninja, and Nintendo, Sakurai, and The Pokemon Company do what they want.
Yeah, but they are just extras on characters originating from games. Sakurai said only game characters get in, he never said they would only reference their in-game appearances.

KingBroly

Smash Lord

GyroMIGHT.
That'd make R.O.B. the weakest character since he's not imaginary and therefore can't do anything besides pick up some sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom