• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Captain America is Mario
Iron Man is Samus
Thor is Pit
Hawkeye is Link
Hulk is Little Mac
Black Widow is Donkey Kong

It's not that complicated, guys.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, now that it's been over a month since the game has come out, what are some character/s that you wanted to main, but aren't quite clicking with? Also, what characters have surprised you after you initially didn't give them much thought?

For me personally, :ultisabelle: isn't really working out for me, meanwhile :ultridley: constantly surprises me with how fun he seems to play and how he's actually a pretty solid character. I've been considering dropping Isabelle down into a more "For Funsies" kind of character, but I need to take her online first before I can really decide, I think. I don't know why she isn't clicking, TBH; I just can't figure out how to use her kit properly. Down-B and Side-B just seem so weird, and I'm struggling to come up with ideas of how to use them. Ridley is a different story, though: I love him! His air game feels great to me (which I'm a sucker for when it comes to Smash character), and he seems to have some pretty decent options available in his kit IMO.
:ultbayonetta::ultisabelle::ultrichter: Pretty much every character I wanted to try out, I'm not good at predicting this stuff.

What I didn't expect was liking :ultpalutena: this much. I already played her quite a lot in the last game but she's a lot more fun now.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
You know I wonder if Nintendo's aim for 3rd party DLC is to add all of the legacy JRPGs in the game(perhaps they're looking to promote JRPGs for 2019/2020). I mean we're getting Final Fantasy. SMT, and likely DQ in Smash. Tales and Kingdom Hearts are more or less the only major legacy JRPG series left. Tales is very likely to be added from all the hints and Insider Rumors. And Sora still has a chance since he's owned by Disney not SE.
I'd have to agree with this, honestly: I just wish that both Lloyd and Yuri could be added.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My friend is way too good, losing is an inevitability in our fights. I f I get really good our fights can finally be even.
I used to be that friend. Then I skipped For.

Now I have about three or four of those friends.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Black Widow is Donkey Kong
Finally, someone who did their research.

Btw, Vision is R.O.B. and Scarlet Witch is Zelda because romantic subplot practically writes itself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I swear our community is the only one that foams at the mouth for advertisements more than the things they're advertising.
The Nintendo community definitely feels like a lot of it doesn't have any chill sometimes, lol. I've seen people scream and yell for these Directs and then get surprisingly angry at them for not giving them an E3 worths of content. People also get really touchy about ports, for some reason.

Like, a lot of people accused 2018 of being a bad year for the Switch, and that confuses me when all of the games they released sold pretty well are were all pretty good.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
How did you guys find your mains? Did you play the character's respective game before and liked the character so you decided to try them in Smash, or the other way around?

I discovered the Kirby series via Smash Melee, them I decided to give it a shot and became a fan, then I found Meta Knight and loved him instantly. When he was revealed to be in Brawl I rushed to play him. He's still my main to this day. (And where the idea of my username came from)

D

Deleted member

I swear our community is the only one that foams at the mouth for advertisements more than the things they're advertising.
Nintendo could literally make ad for Smash while taking a dump powered by Taco Bell on a toilet, and people would eat it up.

D

Deleted member

Captain America: Link
Iron Man: Samus
Thor: Robin
Black Widow: Bayonetta
Hawkeye: Pit
Hulk: Little Mac

I think this fits somewhat better.

Robin (specifically Grima) is also Loki
Sonic is Quicksilver... obviously.
Dark Samus is War Machine
Wolf is Nick Fury
Yeah but both Bayonetta and Pit have superpowers, and BW and Hawkeye don't. I know Samus also has enhanced speed/strength, but she's not quite as ridiculous as Bayo in terms of strength.

Noipoi

Howdy!
How did you guys find your mains? Did you play the character's respective game before and liked the character so you decided to try them in Smash, or the other way around?

I discovered the Kirby series via Smash Melee, them I decided to give it a shot and became a fan, then I found Meta Knight and loved him instantly. When he was revealed to be in Brawl I rushed to play him. He's still my main to this day. (And where the idea of my username came from)
Incineroar was my starter in Sun and Moon, so I was always cool with him. I've been down with Splatoon since 2015, and I love the Inkling's design, so she was another insta-main. Isabelle is cute.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah but both Bayonetta and Pit have superpowers, and BW and Hawkeye don't. I know Samus also has enhanced speed/strength, but she's not quite as ridiculous as Bayo in terms of strength.
Pit only has superpowers because Palutena gives them to him.

Unless you consider having wings (that he can't use to fly by himself) a superpower.

Here's some more:
Toon Link is Spiderman (acrobatic fighter with a tether)
Incineroar is Black Panther
Isabelle is Pepper Potts
Mega Man is the Vision

Since I've already put Robin in the Thor role, I guess Shulk can be Dr. Strange.

D

Deleted member

The Nintendo community definitely feels like a lot of it doesn't have any chill sometimes, lol. I've seen people scream and yell for these Directs and then get surprisingly angry at them for not giving them an E3 worths of content. People also get really touchy about ports, for some reason.

Like, a lot of people accused 2018 of being a bad year for the Switch, and that confuses me when all of the games they released sold pretty well are were all pretty good.
Sometimes, Nintendo fans don’t make sense at all.
*cough*Smash*cough*
*cough*Fire Emblem*cough*
*cough*Pokemon*cough*

*cough*

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
So, now that it's been over a month since the game has come out, what are some character/s that you wanted to main, but aren't quite clicking with? Also, what characters have surprised you after you initially didn't give them much thought?

For me personally, :ultisabelle: isn't really working out for me, meanwhile :ultridley: constantly surprises me with how fun he seems to play and how he's actually a pretty solid character. I've been considering dropping Isabelle down into a more "For Funsies" kind of character, but I need to take her online first before I can really decide, I think. I don't know why she isn't clicking, TBH; I just can't figure out how to use her kit properly. Down-B and Side-B just seem so weird, and I'm struggling to come up with ideas of how to use them. Ridley is a different story, though: I love him! His air game feels great to me (which I'm a sucker for when it comes to Smash character), and he seems to have some pretty decent options available in his kit IMO.
As someone who mained him in Smash 4, :ultmario: feels a lot worse to me in ways difficult to describe. Seems he like he suffers from not only his own changes but also the different game mechanics. Of my inner circle he's the one I've been using the least.

On the other hand :ultincineroar: is someone I once had no interest in, but now wholeheartedly love. Recovery aside he's a fun, powerful character that also has a likeable personality.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

2018 was a bad year, specifically, for people who already bought all the good Wii U games and wanted more than Smash Bros. For everyone else, it was a great year. Including Nintendo.

I kind of get that frustration as someone who really enjoyed my Wii U. Nintendo's trying to sell me on MK8, Hyrule Warriors, DKCR:TF, NSMBU, Captain Toad, Bayonetta, etc., all of which I already paid full-ish price for on a console that's still hooked up to my TV. The difference is I'm a functional adult and I don't take business decisions personally.

Also I only have so much time in the week to even play videogames, so I don't follow the logic of "I need something new constantly all year". I'm still not finished with half the games I've bought this generation. I still haven't even put that SMT/FE dancing singing game in my console yet. It's just sitting there. Taunting me.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Pit only has superpowers because Palutena gives them to him.

Unless you consider having wings (that he can't use to fly by himself) a superpower.

Here's some more:
Toon Link is Spiderman (acrobatic fighter with a tether)
Incineroar is Black Panther
Isabelle is Pepper Potts
Mega Man is the Vision

Since I've already put Robin in the Thor role, I guess Shulk can be Dr. Strange.
He has superstrength to carry weapons twice as heavy as him, superendurance to tank laser beams, etc.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
He has superstrength to carry weapons twice as heavy as him, superendurance to tank laser beams without a scratch, etc.
This is a good point, buuuuut Comic Book superheroes pretty much have those by default.

Consider what characters like Batman, Green Arrow and Hawkeye are capable of despite supposedly being normal humans.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I picked up Ness in Melee because I thought it was cool that there was an average, everyday kid fighting alongside Mario and Pikachu (granted, Ness isn't really ordinary, but you know what I mean).

I picked up Ike because I liked hitting things really hard with a sword. That's more or less the only reason. Engaging, I know.

Mega Man and Robin were the first mains I picked based on exposure from a previous game. Both of them were among my most wanted when the games came out and I enjoyed their projectile based playstyle.

I settled on Pokemon Trainer after experimenting with a handful of characters in Smash Ultimate. For some reason, Ivysaur just really jelled with me. I liked his emphasis on anti-airs and the variety in his moveset. Even his recovery, my main problem with him, is easily circumvented by just switching to Charizard to get back on stage.

D

Deleted member

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with both Mario and Luigi, so I played as them a ton in N64 and Melee. I also really liked Ganondorf as a kid. However, Wario has been my favorite video game character since I was like 5 or something, so when he was shown for Brawl, I lost it as a kid. Played him and Luigi for 10 years across Brawl and both Smash 4 games.

With Ultimate, I decided to go with Inklings because ever since playing the first Splatoon back on the Wii U, that series has grown on me more and more with each passing year and is now one of my most favorite things ever. They were actually who I voted for back in the Smash 4 ballot, and truth be told, I was super bummed when that game's DLC ended and they didn't make it. I was determined ever since I voted for them that if they ever got in, they would be my new main no matter what, so when they of all characters were revealed first for Ultimate...Gosh, I don't even know how to describe how happy I felt. It was an amazing Nintendo moment that I don't know if Nintendo will ever top for me, lol.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Also while searching for that Grima picture, I found this one.

To all you male Robin supporters out there, I ask you: Do you have anything this adorable?

No?

Didn't think so.

#robinisagirlsname

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

To all you male Robin supporters out there, you're absolutely right. I mean, do you think female Robin is better?
No?

Didn't think so. Male Robin would fit just as well.

#theyarebothequal
Fixed it for you.

KMDP

Smash Legend

To all you male Robin supporters out there, I ask you: Do you have anything this adorable?

No?

Didn't think so.

#robinisagirlsname
:ultcorrin:: I turn into a Qirin.
:ultlucina:: What's that?
:ultcorrin:: ...A... Deer Dragon... thing...

We should have the character alts in the icons, somebody should get on that.

D

Deleted member

To me, Pokemon and Fire Emblem fabases, ad the divisions in them, are basically the Law and Chaos alignments from SMT.

Smash fandom is Danganronpa’s insanity personafied.

D

Deleted member

2018 was a bad year, specifically, for people who already bought all the good Wii U games and wanted more than Smash Bros. For everyone else, it was a great year. Including Nintendo.

I kind of get that frustration as someone who really enjoyed my Wii U. Nintendo's trying to sell me on MK8, Hyrule Warriors, DKCR:TF, NSMBU, Captain Toad, Bayonetta, etc., all of which I already paid full-ish price for on a console that's still hooked up to my TV. The difference is I'm a functional adult and I don't take business decisions personally.

Also I only have so much time in the week to even play videogames, so I don't follow the logic of "I need something new constantly all year". I'm still not finished with half the games I've bought this generation. I still haven't even put that SMT/FE dancing singing game in my console yet. It's just sitting there. Taunting me.
Yeah, I'll agree with that. I fully admit the only reason I've been buying these Wii U ports is mainly because I just enjoy playing my Switch more than my Wii U, so the portability and better comfort of the Pro-Controller/Joycons makes it worth it to me.

And for games like Kirby and Mario Tennis, I liked them a lot but I understand they aren't big releases and only really appeal to a certain kind of player. For people searching for BotW or Mario Odyssey grade experiences last year, I definitely can understand the disappointment, especially if you already owned all the those Wii U ports on their original system.

Oh, and I'm with you on the backlog thing. I tried to keep up with all the new releases and all I've gotten for doing that is a mountain of games I haven't even opened yet. I'm actually trying to buy less and focus more on playing what I already have, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Disappointed: :ultmetaknight: Thought he looked like he was going to be super fun in this game during pre-release, and there was so much hype surrounding him, but I've found that I don't really enjoy him as much as I do many other characters. With the game's overall speed being upped significantly I just don't like having such small hitboxes, it makes me feel like I'm in an awkward position too often, and in combination with having to work so hard for kills he feels pretty taxing to play over longer periods. It's not even that I'm doing that poorly with him, and he's most definitely not a bad character, it's just that I don't enjoy the feel of the character compared to so many others, in a sense his problem is also that he's not that much more fun to play than in Smash 4 while almost everyone around him has gotten a ton more fun.

Ridley was always going to be my main, but Meta Knight was very much favorite to be my go-to secondary, and as it stands he's pretty far away from that.

Pleasantly Surprised: :ultsamus::ultdarksamus: Had very little to no hope for them, I loved Samus in Melee, but thought she was absolute gash to play in Brawl and Smash 4, and by the looks of things Ultimate was only going to drag her even further down, so they were practically dead on arrival in my eyes. What actually happened was that Ultimate made me love the character again, something about how they play in this engine just feels so good, and small changes like bombs exploding on contact and Super Missiles being delayed makes me love their trapping and zoning game so much more. They're not my mains, but they are maybe the characters I'm the best with atm, it just feels natural for me to play them.

I'll always give Samus some thought, so it's not like it came absolutely out of nowhere, but it was more a case of being super pessimistic about her and her sparkling new Echo, but ending up being very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No?

Didn't think so.

#robinisagirlsname
Robin is a lifeless blob not matter which gender they are.

Make more angry Grima noises, boi. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Tropical Freeze wasn't on my radar but now that i've played the first DKC and i'm listening to Mangrove Cove i'm considering it?

Even though I don't need to add anymore games to my long list before E3?

Pakky

Smash Hero
I was always mildly interested in :ultkrool:as a "when i'm in the mood" character. I ended up playing him like all the time he's so fun.

On the other hand, I really wanted to get good with :ultrosalina:cuz I love the character but something just isn't clicking.

I got that feel with :ultwario:

Never liked him in Smash, picked up got him after some labbing.

:ultsnake:Want to learn him maybe too 'galaxy brain' for me.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: Interested but to lethargic to commit.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Okay, after all this Robin talk, I've gotta ask you guys a question. Be honest.

Too nerdy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom