• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I don't even think this leak is real, so tonight has been super funny.
Same. This place has been in a whirlwind since yesterday and I’m just watching from the sidelines. It reminds me of the Grinch Leak era tbh.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Erdrick is the only guy here who I think is basically in, the fact that he may or may not be in the code solidifies it. The other guys may as well be another text leak, in my opinion.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I recall quite a few times people saying he had the personality of a brick. In fact you downplayed his personality as just being a 90's stock character.
That's not the point I am arguing.

It's the comparisons to characters on the roster. People who do these comparisons are assuming people think the characters mentioned on the roster have personality.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m not sure what makes Steve a safe bet. Yes, Minecraft has been on Nintendo, but it’s still owned by a “competitor” if you will.

It’s honestly not even that which makes me doubt it.
I think it's that Nintendo seems to support Minecraft/is on good terms with it, plus it's immensely popular and honestly Steve could work no matter how many people say "lol he's too stiff" when they could either go with how the characters move in Minecraft: Dungeons, or simply stick with the stiff limbs and make animations where they can move in almost every direction (since Steve actually can do that, it's pretty clear just from his walk and swim animations alone).

Steve would be an obvious and excellent choice for Nintendo/Sakurai to make given all of this and Sakurai likes Minecraft and retweets stuff from a Japanese account that focuses on Minecraft.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
That's not the point I am arguing.

It's the comparisons to characters on the roster. People who do these comparisons are assuming people think the characters on the roster have personality.
They were bringing that up as a counterpoint to your heavy focus on dialogue as a method of characterization. Unless I somehow missed a bunch of posts, but I've been F5ing this thread all day.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
hey guys remember when snake burned his father alive in zanzibar
remember when he had to gun down a bunch of soldiers with meryl
remember when snake constantly said he was trained to kill
remember when [killing any boss]
remember when gray fox had a whole scene dedicated to him slicing up people in gore and now he's an assist trophy
Remember "there's another in my-"? Well now it's a spirit attribute.

Shroob

Sup?
Brave is Erdrick, and at this point, nothing will convince me otherwise outside of seeing a different SE rep.

"Brave" is too synonymous with Japanese love of Dragon Quest to mean anything else to me.

Math Jreeds 1284

Smash Cadet
Liking more and more where this is going but already looking forward to if the next pass is still in the talks/works with even more Western characters like geez X)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Ridley and the other Space Pirates seem to have a fairly apparent sentience in Super Metroid if you ask me, based on the stuff that was built on the planet such as the statue featuring each of the main bosses (with Ridley on top), the architecture stuff in Lower Norfair, the Ridley head...

Noipoi

Howdy!
Liking more and more where this is going but already looking forward to if the next pass is still in the talks/works with even more Western characters like geez X)
Just a heads up, none of this is confirmed. Erdrick might as well be, but Steve, Hayabusa, and Doomguy are still up in the air.

By all mean, be as hype as you want to be. Just thought i'd warn ya.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think it's that Nintendo seems to support Minecraft/is on good terms with it, plus it's immensely popular and honestly Steve could work no matter how many people say "lol he's too stiff" when they could either go with how the characters move in Minecraft: Dungeons, or simply stick with the stiff limbs and make animations where they can move in almost every direction (since Steve actually can do that, it's pretty clear just from his walk and swim animations alone).

Steve would be an obvious and excellent choice for Nintendo/Sakurai to make given all of this and Sakurai likes Minecraft and retweets stuff from a Japanese account that focuses on Minecraft.
It’s not the factors of Steve himself. It’s more about a hunch (not my back, either...that’s a joke, I don’t have a hunch) about the legitimacy of the source that claimed Steve in the first place.

I simply very much question it, and would simply caution others to not consider as likely as it once seemed. It’s just a hunch, unless more and more people come out saying they’ve heard it as well.

Not text leaks saying it. Reputable leakers.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
They were bringing that up as a counterpoint to your heavy focus on dialogue as a method of characterization. Unless I somehow missed a bunch of posts, but I've been F5ing this thread all day.
But I never said that.

I asked if he had highlights in terms of dialogue and relationships. Actions can showcase a personality obviously, that goes without saying, but I wanted to know if there was something else to him. And those areas can be a key way to know a personality. That's all. It was a question.

Anyway all this scrambling about a highly likely fake leak is all silly.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I hope they use this design.

2389683-wayfarersclothes.png

This is cute, classic Toriyama.

This is...

300px-Hero3male.png

I dunno what this is...but I don't like it...

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
But I never said that.

I asked if he had highlights in terms of dialogue and relationships. Actions can showcase a personality obviously, that goes without saying, but I wanted to know if there was something else to him. And those areas can be a key way to know a personality. That's all. It was a question.

Anyway all this scrambling about a highly likely fake leak is all silly.
Well my apologies, but that's not how it came across. It felt like you were insinuating dialogue was the end all be all.

And really it's not silly. It's discussion, we're all having fun and going back and forth about things we're passionate about. It's not getting ugly like the Grinch fiasco and everybody is doing a fairly good job of keeping their egos at the door. If it's real it's real, if it's fake it's fake. Nothing anybody can do but wait with a pencil and the checklist.

Math Jreeds 1284

Smash Cadet
Just a heads up, none of this is confirmed. Erdrick might as well be, but Steve, Hayabusa, and Doomguy are still up in the air.

By all mean, be as hype as you want to be. Just thought i'd warn ya.
Yea thanks, though I'd actually be more excited if this turned out to be fake, lol. Nothing against the characters, but it leaves room for me and many others pipe dreams x).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It’s not the factors of Steve himself. It’s more about a hunch (not my back, either...that’s a joke, I don’t have a hunch) about the legitimacy of the source that claimed Steve in the first place.

I simply very much question it, and would simply caution others to not consider as likely as it once seemed. It’s just a hunch, unless more and more people come out saying they’ve heard it as well.

Not text leaks saying it. Reputable leakers.
That's fair, Hitagi does seem pretty questionable; while I think Steve is likely regardless, tbh leakers are the only reason Steve was brought up in the first place (especially since some people felt like it may not even happen or like the idea but didn't think of it before).

I'm just hoping the stuff Vergeben has heard turns out to be true, even if he can't confirm any of it.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
My only concerns about Doomguy are the weapons, I'm not too knowledgable on Doom on if he has "unrealistic" firearms or not in that game? Chainsaw though, I'd love that as a melee weapon.

Shroob

Sup?
I wish Etika was still on the up n up.

Seeing him freak out "THEY PUT GOKU UP IN DIS *****!" until he realizes "....Erdrick? Who the **** is Erdrick?"

Noipoi

Howdy!

Seeing him freak out "THEY PUT GOKU UP IN DIS *****!" until he realizes "....Erdrick? Who the **** is Erdrick?"
I want his trailer to focus on his hair first for a few seconds, then show his classic Toriyama eyes, only to pan out and show this knight kid. Not Goku.

Oh the reactions, the delicious reactions~

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
My only concerns about Doomguy are the weapons, I'm not too knowledgable on Doom on if he has "unrealistic" firearms or not in that game? Chainsaw though, I'd love that as a melee weapon.
He has a chainsaw, a plasma rifle, a gauss cannon, the unmaker (just scrub off the pentagrams), the BFG, the rocket launcher, and he's really REALLY good at punching. The only firearm he arguably needs is the double barreled shotgun, which is just part of his look anymore.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
My hope is for the best of both worlds: an adult Erdrick but in Toriyama's circa '88 style. Like how 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai/Saiyan arcs Goku is peak Goku.

Roberk

Smash Champion

r/Smashbros and all other Smash/Nintendo/Video Game communities will be hard to look at after an Erdrick reveal. "Goku?" "Gohan with a sword?"

the luminary is just trunks in different clothes
We already have Trunks in the game :4lucina:

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Etika still roams around...just not when people expect it

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Completely off-topic, but 1 month in, and I still can't get over how absolutely amazing the remix of Kass's Theme is. I get goosebumps whenever it comes on during a match, like it just did for me right now.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Completely off-topic, but 1 month in, and I still can't get over how absolutely amazing the remix of Kass's Theme is. I get goosebumps whenever it comes on during a match, like it just did for me right now.
It’s related to Smash, therefore it ain’t off topic...talk about the All Might Kass and his theme some more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom