• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
2chan became 5chan.

Either way it's Japanese 4chan.
So everyone's taking it seriously because it's the moonrunes rendition of a 4chan textpost but it's taken seriously because it's not a filthy Western man?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
So everyone's taking it seriously because it's the moonrunes rendition of a 4chan textpost but it's taken seriously because it's not a filthy Western man?
there's actually two leaks, one is from 5chan and the other is from somewhere else i think (or they're both from 5chan) but they both have erdrick on them and that's why anyone is humoring it

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post - Off topic spam
Ok, i think that i got over the Eight rollercoaster of emotions.

I am sure that i can finally post as normal on the Ultimate thre-

6A3F1209-1DFB-4DE1-B2D1-EE5913510C57.jpeg

Holy ****! It’s a four! It is what i think it is!?

**gets taken to an asylum while laughing like a maniac**

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Fire Emblem as evidenced by the sub's reaction to Chrom
??
I was there that day and the reaction was mostly positive, with like 85% of the top level comments thinking it was hype or pointing out that it was neat he got his chance, 5% upset, and 10% asking "When's Hector?"
A celebration of the history of Nintendo that begins and ends with its first party output only seeks to celebrate a history that never existed.
Oooh I like that.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Text "leaks" are incredibly rare on 5chan compared to 4chan, where they're abundant.

It'd also make sense to see a real DLC leak in Japanese because that's where the DLC is primarily being worked on.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
there's actually two leaks, one is from 5chan and the other is from somewhere else i think (or they're both from 5chan) but they both have erdrick on them and that's why anyone is humoring it
hmmmm... i see

trash.jpg

Text "leaks" are incredibly rare on 5chan compared to 4chan, where they're abundant.

It'd also make sense to see a real DLC leak in Japanese because that's where the DLC is primarily being worked on.
That doesn't really make it sound more or less credible for me.

I'd like the rumor to be real but I don't see it goin anywhere.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I love how you're acting high and mighty about Nintendo yet this post implies Doom was never on Nintendo before the Switch when it was on the SNES, 64 and GBA too. You know, back when every FPS was considered a Doom clone
I admittedly did not know that, but Doom Guy also suffers from just sheer gore and violence. Translating him without that and he isn't the same, but with it and he really doesn't fit in.
Bayonetta is an odd exception among third parties because she's the closest thing to a first party character out of all of the third parties. I previously explained that Joker represents Shin Megami Tensei, which is certainly part of the hall of fame, but feel free to stick your head in the ground like an ostrich and refuse to listen. Doesn't make it any less true.

Also, what is "objectively a good thing?" Can you define that? I'm honestly curious.
You may also note that I noted Bayonetta's extreme connection, but she still doesn't fit the hall of fame idea.

Also, if that's the case, pick a Shin Megam Tensei character instead. Not the new spinoff.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I admittedly did not know that, but Doom Guy also suffers from just sheer gore and violence. Translating him without that and he isn't the same, but with it and he really doesn't fit in.
If Doomguy can punch and use a gun then he can work. He doesn't have to be really bloody. Glory kills were not in the original game.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
The only thing that would surprise me about getting these 4 characters would be that Bandai Namco is still not getting a 2nd rep despite developing the game. Other than that, all 4 have cemented their place in game history.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ok, i think that i got over the Eight rollercoaster of emotions.

I am sure that i can finally post as normal on the Ultimate thre-

Holy ****! It’s a four! It is what i think it is!?

**gets taken to an asylum while laughing like a maniac**

Seriously dude. I get you're excited and that's great, but your constant posting about this is off-topic and kind of annoying.

I'm happy for you if they get in though. :)

You may also note that I noted Bayonetta's extreme connection, but she still doesn't fit the hall of fame idea.

Also, if that's the case, pick a Shin Megam Tensei character instead. Not the new spinoff.
The OG Doom games were very low on blood and gore, and Bayonetta is also known for extreme gore and sadism, so it's not as much of a problem as it's being out to made.

Also your comment about Joker seriously comes off as elitism. It might now be, but that's how I'm reading into it. The point is that Joker is the most popular pick for a Shin Megami Tensei character, similar to Cloud for Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
It's taken more seriously because

1) Leak culture in Japan isn't the same as overseas where they're a dime a dozen. That doesn't mean it's any more credible, it just means that it warrants a deeper look.

2) It hasn't swung out yet. Granted, Joker had already been revealed and Erdrick was the most likely pick. Where it gets credibility is that it mentions Erdrick and Luminary, names which Vergeben has stated he's heard nigh inseparably whenever they came up. The datamine referring to their class and not their character is raising a few eyebrows. But that's all.

3) It's just bonkers. Steve is a safe pick, Ryu Hayabusa less so, but Doom Marine is a spit take. Not only that, but the fact that they specifically state Doom Marine is just odd enough to make it noteworthy. I'm not sure if Marine is the localization because honestly Doom is barely a footnote in Japan. Still, the fact that such a bizarre character could be on this list (combined with Bethesda's cryptic "Oh yeah!" in response to Smash talks) is what's making it so hot.

4) The amount of super secret club fanfiction is pretty low. They just state that Steve was planned but pushed back for marketing purposes and Erdrick is part of a larger plan to push DQ in the west. That's feasible for someone to piece together without insider knowledge, given that Vergeben has been talking about Minecraft content forever.

5) Nobody has come out against it yet. Vergeben hasn't really addressed it to my knowledge other than "Yeah Erdrick and Luminary are what I've heard." GameXplain is split, and there is a bit of misinformation but nothing too severe. People pass around Screen Rant having a "proven tipster" but that could literally just mean "somebody found this link and showed it to us." It doesn't mean an insider contact. I haven't checked ResetERA because that would mean I'd have to browse ResetERA. If anyone knows somebody who's provided any counterpoints, please do post them so we can clear that up.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You mean like how Bayonetta suffered from overall suggestiveness?

Shroob

Sup?
*Doomguy is all guts and gore with a warped sense of humor*

"He's got no personality!"

*Ridley's actual sentient intelligence has only ever been shown in a manga and in game he just comes across as murder pterodactyl*

"This is fine."

:BigThink:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
hey guys remember when snake burned his father alive in zanzibar
remember when he had to gun down a bunch of soldiers with meryl
remember when snake constantly said he was trained to kill
remember when [killing any boss]
remember when gray fox had a whole scene dedicated to him slicing up people in gore and now he's an assist trophy

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
If the Smash dev team can make Bayonetta-- a character who channels a demon through her hair that's also her clothes and regularly kills angels in bloody and suggestive means-- work, they can make the Doom Marine work.

If the Smash dev team can make Piranha Plant work by cobbling together bits and pieces while mixing in some original stuff, they can make Steve work.

The Smash dev team can make basically anybody work.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The only thing that would surprise me about getting these 4 characters would be that Bandai Namco is still not getting a 2nd rep despite developing the game. Other than that, all 4 have cemented their place in game history.
That's a large reason to doubt it for me. I'll legitimately be surprised if we don't get Lloyd Irving, and even more surprised if we don't get another Bandai Namco character.

D

Deleted member

I don't see the issue with Doomguy being in Smash. If Sakurai can make Snake and Bayonetta work in Smash, then he can make Doomguy work as well. I'm seeing some serious mental gymnastics from some people.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

*Ridley's actual sentient intelligence has only ever been shown in a manga and in game he just comes across as murder pterodactyl*

"This is fine."

inb4 Prime 4 has Ridley having a diverse vocabulary topped with an English accent

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If the Smash dev team can make Bayonetta-- a character who channels a demon through her hair that's also her clothes and regularly kills angels in bloody and suggestive means-- work, they can make the Doom Marine work.

If the Smash dev team can make Piranha Plant by cobbling together bits and pieces while mixing in some original stuff, they can make Steve work.

Don't forget :ultridley:

Mass genocide, eats his victims, sadistic murderer. Yet they manage to keep his violent tendencies intact in the game without going over the top such as his Skewer.

Great now I wanna see Doomguy vs. Ridley.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
pick a Shin Megam Tensei character instead. Not the new spinoff.
I appreciate the sentiment.

But neither Sakurai who is a huge fan of Persona (the modern ones at least) nor Nintendo who is a huge fan of Persona's popularity going to not pick a Persona character, and a Persona character from the most recent and marketable game specifically.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
That's a large reason to doubt it for me. I'll legitimately be surprised if we don't get Lloyd Irving, and even more surprised if we don't get another Bandai Namco character.
It's very odd, and honestly if I were Bandai Namco I'd be a bit upset lol. I know they're not exactly Capcom when it comes to iconic characters, but Heihachi, Lloyd, or a Dark Souls character would all fit the bill in terms of popularity and being iconic.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Man hearing Zinnia's theme play during the Master Hand fight in Mewtwo's classic mode just makes me even sadder that Rayquaza didn't make it back. How sick would that sound be if it played for his boss fight?

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

You're mistaking brutality and gore. If I throw you to the ground and stomp on your chest, there probably isn't much blood but it's brutal. Brutality is what Ridley shows, he skewers people, drags them on the ground, and generally shows little regard for their wellbeing, even in the context of fighting. He's not just trying to fight you, he's trying to hurt you.

Doom Slayer is like that. he doesn't need to punch your head off, he just needs to crack a few bones and toss you around like a ragdoll. That's E 10+ enough to fit in Smash and still do justice to the brutality of Doom.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

"This is fine."

Did anyone say this, though? Thread's going faster than the speed of light but I don't remember anyone saying this.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You're mistaking brutality and gore. If I throw you to the ground and stomp on your chest, there probably isn't much blood but it's brutal. Brutality is what Ridley shows, he skewers people, drags them on the ground, and generally shows little regard for their wellbeing, even in the context of fighting. He's not just trying to fight you, he's trying to hurt you.

Doom Slayer is like that. he doesn't need to punch your head off, he just needs to crack a few bones and toss you around like a ragdoll. That's E 10+ enough to fit in Smash and still do justice to the brutality of Doom.
And to think Metroid is Nintendo. Nintendo! Totally child-friendly amIriteorwut?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't even think this leak is real, so tonight has been super funny.
This pretty much. I love the choices on the leak, but I'm very doubtful if this is real, and if it isn't real, I'm never gonna let you all live this down. Ever.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

If the Smash dev team can make Piranha Plant work by cobbling together bits and pieces while mixing in some original stuff, they can make Steve work.

except waluigi apparently

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m not sure what makes Steve a safe bet. Yes, Minecraft has been on Nintendo, but it’s still owned by a “competitor” if you will.

It’s honestly not even that which makes me doubt it.

Anyway, I still think a Resident Evil pick would be hysterical. But I don’t know that I could come up with a good moveset. Although, management of items would be legit...despite most of them being guns/explosives. I’m really not sure about music options either, but a Raccoon City stage would be great.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Don't forget :ultridley:

Mass genocide, eats his victims, sadistic murderer. Yet they manage to keep his violent tendencies intact in the game without going over the top such as his Skewer.

Great now I wanna see Doomguy vs. Ridley.
None of that's in the Metroid games themselves, so it's sorta divorced from his character.

That said, if the Doom Marine is a thing and gets a pre-rendered trailer, I'm expecting Ridley to get hit with the brunt of things.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Did anyone say this, though? Thread's going faster than the speed of light but I don't remember anyone saying this.
I recall quite a few times people saying he had the personality of a brick. In fact you downplayed his personality as just being a 90's stock character.

None of that's in the Metroid games themselves, so it's sorta divorced from his character.

That said, if the Doom Marine is a thing and gets a pre-rendered trailer, I'm expecting Ridley to get hit with the brunt of things.
If you read the data logs in Metroid Prime, especially with the knowledge that he's in charge of it all, you'd know all the atrocities he's responsible for. Hell, he forces his space pirates into horrendous experiments trying to reverse engineer Chozo technology. That's pretty brutal to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom