• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Speaking of complex, am I the only one that is kind of bothered with two-dimensional characters in anime? I mean sure they have some sort of backstory, and some other type of personality, but they don't really feel like real people to me since they're not multi-dimensional, it's sometimes also because they don't have much going for them other than their overused tragic backstory and primary persona (And I'm even saying this as a person who likes tragic backstories), or some character tropes than become a bit more jarring. Yes, I'm looking at you Danganronpa characters some of you are okay, but others are just uhhh, meh I guess.

Guys, I think playing Red Dead Redemption 2, and interacting with more people are making me feel this way.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I am not paying Canadian gaming prices for Link though.

It is a personality. Just a very 90s one to me.
His entire schtick in 2016 is a rebuke of all the things people grew to dislike about the shooter genre. He shows an active disdain for things that get in the way of what he wants to do, which is brutally murder the things that stand between him and his goal of beating the snot out of the biggest demon there is. It won't win an oscar but there's tons to chew on. He's a vengeful and restless figure driven to the brink of insanity by circumstances but he holds fast to that little scrap of humanity and transforms it into a fury that burns strong enough to carry him through his crusade. He's not going to stop for anything.

So, not trying to knock Doomguy or anything (it's probably one of the best games Bethesda ever made), but if his anger and such constitutes having a personality, can I argue similarly about my boi's personality without being jumped on?
I don't think anybody has any grounds to say Yoshi has no personality. He's curious, helpful, a bit driven by his desire to eat but he understands enough about the world to make a place in it.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
hey guys i'm wanting to main steve but i'm not sure what do online, any tips?

i'm not sorry
Replace every in-game track with Megalovania, change the game's font to comic sans (like so), and give your Mains the Fortnite Default Dance, but hard code it so everyone you fight against can see your characters do the dance.

Oh, and dab irl behind the screen every time you take a stock. It's standard 4D Chess play, trust me.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So, not trying to knock Doomguy or anything (it's probably one of the best games Bethesda ever made), but if his anger and such constitutes having a personality, can I argue similarly about my boi's personality without being jumped on?
And you say you don’t only talk about Yoshi.

Double K

Smash Lord
Speaking of complex, am I the only one that is kind of bothered with two-dimensional characters in anime? I mean sure they have some sort of backstory, and some other type of personality, but they don't really feel like real people to me since they're not multi-dimensional, it's sometimes also because they don't have much going for them other than their overused tragic backstory and primary persona (And I'm even saying this as a person who likes tragic backstories), or some character tropes than become a bit more jarring. Yes, I'm looking at you Danganronpa characters some of you are okay, but others are just uhhh, meh I guess.
This is why you watch Magical Girl shows like Symphogear where you get **** like a girl blocking gun fire with her gattling guns and getting shot by a tank, only to smirk and spit out a bullet case when the smoke settles

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh, btw, Doomguy does something in Doom 2016 which is something anyone with even a small amount of interest in the game can relate to. When the game starts, you're given story. Doomguy almost immediately wrecks the computers and grabs his gun to kill. Cause why the **** are you playing Doom for the story?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Doomguy shows more personality in the elevator sequence at the beginning of Doom 2016 then like, half the damn roster.

Double K

Smash Lord
Oh, btw, Doomguy does something in Doom 2016 which is something anyone with even a small amount of interest in the game can relate to. When the game starts, you're given story. Doomguy almost immediately wrecks the computers and grabs his gun to kill. Cause why the **** are you playing Doom for the story?
This is all the story you need for Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R0ZZF4O0K4

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
tfw Link, Samus, Mario and like, 1/3 of the cast have no personality
What's the point of this post? I asked if this character has other highlights. I never mentioned any other character or used them as an argument?

D

Deleted member

I played Doom because i was forced.

But yes, the story wasn’t a huge thing.

Double K

Smash Lord
What's the point of this post? I asked if this character has other highlights. I never mentioned any other character or used them as an argument?
Because you're acting like dialogue or relationships matter about personality. We're in an era where lots of games have solitary protagonists and more of their personality is conveyed via animations and gestures and certain actions.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This fake leak is tearing this family apart.
Not the first, or the last time this will happen.
There was no offense intended in my post either. However, I do think your post kinda comes off as trying to tell people that your wants for third-party are objectively better than their wants for more first-party.

All of the things you listed third-parties bringing? First-parties could bring those too. It doesn't need to be exclusive. Me personally? I'd happily have the rest of this DLC be things like more Zelda and Kirby than 3rd party content. Does that make my wants objectively better? Of course not, and it'd be a little rude to try and suggest so IMO.
You see, I'd agree with you, but it's just true. Sure, people will be excited if Bandana Dee or the latest flavor of the week Zelda character gets in, but there's a larger crowd that'll freak out if Steve or Doom Guy gets in. Third parties just bring more to the series; they have the capability to draw in mass hype and, most importantly, draw in new fans.

Legend of Zelda and Kirby fans already have a stake in Smash and have likely bought the game by now. Dragon Quest and Minecraft have no stake in the game and haven't bought it yet, but will buy it when Erdrick and/or Steve are announced for the game. With how big and popular those two series are, there are plenty of people who will buy the game solely to play as those characters. Right there you've just sold a game and a pack or pass. You might even get a solid amount of Switch sales from people buying the Switch to play these characters in Smash Bros. (Adding Erdrick will sell Switchs with Dragon Quest XI S, Smash Bros., and Erdrick's Fighter Pack or the Fighter Pass).

Characters like Doom Guy and Joker, who seem dissonant with Smash Bros., create hype through their inclusion because "oh my gosh I can't believe they did it!" whereas first party characters are just "oh yeah, that makes sense." By negotiating and including these characters instead of first parties, Nintendo drums up more publicity for the game and drives more sales.

Additionally, the inclusion of third parties creates good will between companies that last. Corporate relationships are highly important in the console industry, where third party releases can make or break a console, and with how easy it is to include third parties as DLC (as profits are easier to split) it'd be stupid of Nintendo to not make the most of this opportunity, especially after the failure of the Wii U, which is largely due to a lack of third party support.

Maybe it could've been presented better initially, but it's a better business move to include third parties. Nothing on you or anyone else for liking first party characters, but third party characters offer more to the series and Nintendo as a whole.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Because you're acting like dialogue or relationships matter about personality. We're in an era where lots of games have solitary protagonists and more of their personality is conveyed via animations and gestures and certain actions.
Except I didn't. I asked if he had anything about those two things about him. I didn't imply anything.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
The status bar shenanigans
The elevator scene in the 2016 game
The fact that the first thing he does when he gets out of Hell is reclaim his pet bunny's severed head in rage
He stays in Hell after Doom II not because he can't leave but because he never wants to stop making them pay
All of the little animations and flourishes in DOOM 2016 that show he has a warped sense of humor even in the face of demonic warfare

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Now I think about it, I don't really like Persona 5's story that much mostly because the arc's themselves are really formulaic, with the changes in their situations being minor at best. I'm also now a bit disappointed that they didn't exactly take the cognition concept even further (Like for example, have someone get ill based on their belief that of something minor that causes an illness, or someone get shot because they at that point believe someone was holding a real gun).

D

Deleted member

What the hell happened here? I leave you guys for like an hour or so, and this happens.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Get creative with him.
Replace every in-game track with Megalovania, change the game's font to comic sans (like so), and give your Mains the Fortnite Default Dance, but hard code it so everyone you fight against can see your characters do the dance.

Oh, and dab irl behind the screen every time you take a stock. It's standard 4D Chess play, trust me.
got it, thanks for the help!

so far i have this:

Steve Default Dance.gif

just imagine a skeleton man and his cool brother dabbing when you see me online.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
mmmm. Korby
I think they’ll take from the main theme of like all the Dragon Quest games as Erdrick’s victory theme.

From like 0:14 to 0:20. What do you think @JDCabrera ?
or they could use

the victory theme? the victory theme that like final fantasy has generally been in every game?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’ll be completely honest and say I don’t want Steve in Smash, but think Doomguy would be hilarious. I have no formal opinion of Ryu Hayabusa because I have never played Ninja Gaiden.

I simply have my own reason for not beliving this leak, and it has to do with one of them specifically, but not my feelings toward them.

D

Deleted member

It’s not even my wants though...that wasn’t my intention whatsoever. I have plenty of first party wants. At this point that’s probably a misunderstanding.

My point is that frankly, it makes more sense, in my opinion, to focus on 3rd parties. They’re more easily marketable and can reach a larger demographic than the first parties we have left.
Yeah, I see what you mean now. Definitely misunderstood at first. I'm with you, it makes more sense to go third-party.

Thanks for clearing that up. :) Again, was definitely not upset or trying to be argumentative with my posts, was simply sharing my thoughts as someone who's hoping we get another cool Nintendo pick out of this DLC.

Not the first, or the last time this will happen.

You see, I'd agree with you, but it's just true. Sure, people will be excited if Bandana Dee or the latest flavor of the week Zelda character gets in, but there's a larger crowd that'll freak out if Steve or Doom Guy gets in. Third parties just bring more to the series; they have the capability to draw in mass hype and, most importantly, draw in new fans.

Legend of Zelda and Kirby fans already have a stake in Smash and have likely bought the game by now. Dragon Quest and Minecraft have no stake in the game and haven't bought it yet, but will buy it when Erdrick and/or Steve are announced for the game. With how big and popular those two series are, there are plenty of people who will buy the game solely to play as those characters.

Characters like Doom Guy and Joker, who seem dissonant with Smash Bros., create hype through their inclusion because "oh my gosh I can't believe they did it!" whereas first party characters are just "oh yeah, that makes sense." By negotiating and including these characters instead of first parties, Nintendo drums up more publicity for the game and drives more sales.

Additionally, the inclusion of third parties creates good will between companies that last. Corporate relationships are highly important in the console industry, where third party releases can make or break a console, and with how easy it is to include third parties as DLC (as profits are easier to split) it'd be stupid of Nintendo to not make the most of this opportunity, especially after the failure of the Wii U, which is largely due to a lack of third party support.

Maybe it could've been presented better initially, but it's a better business move to include third parties. Nothing on you or anyone else for liking first party characters, but third party characters offer more to the series and Nintendo as a whole.
Oh, for sure. Lots in this post I can agree with: 3rd parties are a good business move, and are most likely what we're gonna get. My point wasn't about either or being better from a business standpoint, but rather, that there is no better when it comes to taste as you said.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Think about this. Think about being able to witness Doomguy vs. Snake. That's all.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You literally did that
Whatever you say dude.

Anywho I found my old Sims 3 copy. Time to get addicted for three days and never touch it again. The true way to play.

Would a Sim be accepted around these parts as a fighter?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I’ll be completely honest and say I don’t want Steve in Smash, but think Doomguy would be hilarious. I have no formal opinion of Ryu Hayabusa because I have never played Ninja Gaiden.

I simply have my own reason for not beliving this leak, and it has to do with one of them specifically, but not my feelings toward them.
Oh don't get me wrong. Both 5chan "leaks" seem like generic 4chan drivel and I treat them as such. I still believe we'll be getting mostly, if not all third parties for the Fighters Pass though.
What the hell happened here? I leave you guys for like an hour or so, and this happens.
Imagine how I felt when I left for two days to binge 7 Deadly Sins and came back to the absolute hell that was the datamine leak.
Whatever you say dude.

Anywho I found my old Sims 3 copy. Time to get addicted for three days and never touch it again. The true way to play.

I think the problem was just conveying tone on the internet through text. You may not have intended to come off like that, but another person read into your post like that.

Also, how would a Sim even fight? I trust Sakurai and his team's capability to make a moveset for anything, but what would a Sim do?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So like, who the **** even started the rumor? Nobody has made that clear yet, it just came out of nowhere.

Double K

Smash Lord
Whatever you say dude.

Hell ****ing yeah a Sim would be accepted

Sim vs Mob lets go!

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

That's absolutely fair. It's far from a bulletproof rumor and the things it's gotten so far shouldn't be attributed to it because they've been spoken elsewhere. The things that will make or break it are:

* Obviously a character not on the list making it in
* Nintendo not publishing DQ11S
* P5R not releasing in the first half of 2019
* Erdrick not having a Luminary and an Anlucia alt
* Ninja Gaiden not getting a game in 2019 for its 30th anniversary

It's best to just wait and see.

So like, who the **** even started the rumor? Nobody has made that clear yet, it just came out of nowhere.
It came from 5chan, posted on December 9th. Papagenos made a great breakdown on it, it's on his Youtube channel. Basic gist is, it's hard to ignore it but there isn't anything it's gotten right yet that it can uniquely claim. GameXplain mistakenly credited it with guessing Granblue but it said nothing about Granblue.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The mysterious Japanese hacker 5chan.

An anonymous member of 5chan is who started the "5chan 5 'leak'" as I'm going to call it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The mysterious Japanese hacker 5chan.

An anonymous member of 5chan is who started the "5chan 5 'leak'" as I'm going to call it.
the **** is 5chan, isn't japan's rendition 2chan, or is that just for the based oldies? :drshrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom