• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Looking at the parameters for the Brave character made think of another possible contender. A RE character. There's a statue called Tyranos The Brave in the series.

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Tyranos_the_Brave

The Brave character has 101 weight, and is a slow fighter ad has no jab. Honestly that fits very well with Leon or Chris IMO. I mean Chris & Jill in Project X Zone were pretty slow.

No. That's way too far of a reach man.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Smash became a massive gaming crossover event ages ago. It hasn't actually had the official title of Nintendo in its name as a game besides literally the first game. The "Super" part in the international versions doesn't even exist in the original. It was a marketing play to guarantee sales, as they weren't sure it would do well outside of Japan, where it was lucky to have went overseas.

Smash is no longer really a Nintendo Fighting Game. It's a Massive Fighting Game Crossover that has a reasonable focus on Nintendo, where it started from.

They aren't the same thing. Both Reggie and Sakurai pretty much already have confirmed it's not literally "Nintendo: The Fighting Game". They have actual knowledge of its purpose and the intent behind the series. At some point one just needs to accept it isn't what you thought it was. That said, expect more 3rd parties, and they'll keep coming because the narrative is actually "fighting game crossover" instead.
Okay, but if I'm going to vie for characters like Poochy, I don't want to be met with waves of "but Smash isn't about NINTENDO anymore" and other throwing-stones-in-glass-houses statements...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
PPlant, Joker, Steve and Erdrick seem alright, but Doom Guy and Hayabusa are just really bleh to me.

I guess that's what I get for not being born in 1980 :drshrug:
I haven't played the Ninja Gaiden games, so I can't comment there (they've been uniformly described as insanely difficult, even by NES-era standards - it's the same reason why I avoid Ghouls 'n' Ghosts and Dark Souls, and why I gave up on classic Castlevania), but if you gave the 2016 Doom game a shot (or at least looked up let's plays like Team Four Star), then that might help with getting excited for Doomguy.

I don't even like most first person shooters, but the 2016 Doom was such a satisfying experience from start to finish.

Shroob

Sup?
Okay, but if I'm going to vie for characters like Poochy, I don't want to be met with waves of "but Smash isn't about NINTENDO anymore" and other throwing-stones-in-glass-houses statements...
It's completely fine to vouch for 1st party characters, no one has the right to piss on you for that.

But people who are "3rd parties go home" are another issue entirely.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I've spent my whole life in the Nintendo bubble, but only because I couldn't afford more than one console and Nintendo had Pokemon so it was a no brainer.

I don't have an issue with third parties, even if a lot don't appeal to me. As long as we keep getting new Pokemon i'm usually satisfied.

There are still first party characters I want, but i've come to terms with the fact that it's 3rd party town now, and all my favorites are never-evers so I might as well not even campaign for em.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah, nice to see people dumping on other's prefered character choices completely unprovoked.

What is bottom of the barrel to some of you is not to others, and NGL, I would very happily take those "bottom of the barrel" characters over some of these third-parties that for me personally, I have zero interest in.

People who don't want third party being all the DLC is aren't demonizing third-parties, they just have a different preference. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It is bizarre to me that Nintendo isn't Smart enough to realize they should just be labeling these characters as character71, character72, etc.
Every character has a straight name, so... it'll be consistent. Codename or otherwise.

Honestly, I don't even believe in the idea of a bad character choice. They all have their own legitimate merits as is. So I welcome any character as they're all neat in their own right. It doesn't mean I will enjoy playing as them, their franchise, and I may not even like a particular character. I'll still respect the fact they made it into Smash~

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sonic is very tied to Nintendo's history.

Cloud, I'm more okay with now since FFVII is coming to Switch.

Ryu...maybe since SF2 was so big on SNES, but the lack of modern support definitely doesn't warrent it's current treatment.

Simon is an NES icon. Richter at least had an appearance on SNES.

Mega Man needs no introduction.

Bayonetta is at least practically a second party at this point.

Joker though...the main thing going for him without Persona 5 coming to Switch is that Sega owns him.

Doomguy is just bizarre as he is hyper violence and demonic imagery. At least the new one got on Switch.
I love how you're acting high and mighty about Nintendo yet this post implies Doom was never on Nintendo before the Switch when it was on the SNES, 64 and GBA too. You know, back when every FPS was considered a Doom clone

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sakurai personally liking something should not be reason enough.

Really? Cause it still reads Nintendo at the bottom of the box and you can't play it on your Xbox.

And Joker or Bayonetta hardly fit into the hall of fame concept. It's turning into a hodgepodge of things Sakurai likes. All the more reason for me to wish him out of the director's chair.

And just cause it's clear to you doesn't make it true. Just cause you seem to like the third parties more than first doesn't make it objectively a good thing.

I'm also not a purist. I'm perfectly okay with Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. Even Simon to a point.
Bayonetta is an odd exception among third parties because she's the closest thing to a first party character out of all of the third parties. I previously explained that Joker represents Shin Megami Tensei, which is certainly part of the hall of fame, but feel free to stick your head in the ground like an ostrich and refuse to listen. Doesn't make it any less true.

Also, what is "objectively a good thing?" Can you define that? I'm honestly curious.

Last edited:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Honestly saying "first party only" or even "close connection" is such a weird position to me. What does it matter where the characters come from? "That's just how Smash is supposed to be" isn't really an argument, it's just a weird resistance to change. Does Smash really become a worse game if it includes characters from different companies? A change in the definition of what Smash is does not mean a change in quality.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Me opening this thread:
nahyuta scroll.gif

This conversation has taken a turn for the wall of text.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ah, nice to see people dumping on other's prefered character choices completely unprovoked.

What is bottom of the barrel to some of you is not to others, and NGL, I would very happily take those "bottom of the barrel" characters over some of these third-parties that for me personally, I have zero interest in.

People who don't want third party being all the DLC is aren't demonizing third-parties, they just have a different preference. :/
As I said (because i’m assuming this is directed at me) there was no offense intended. I am merely speaking to what I believe to be the truth, which is that opening Smash up with 3rd parties adds more in terms of stages, music, and characters than adding a character from a Nintendo series that already ha aplenty do characters, stages, and music.

Sorry if it upset you, but that’s simply what I think we’re looking at right now.

Double K

Smash Lord
You know what? **** it

Lets go all out. EVERYONE IS HERE

Let me bring Kamen Rider Den-O and have him face Captain Falcon

Pharaoh Atem vs the Villager

Ridley the Space Dragon? Meet Ridley Silverlake

Bayonetta is fighting with Magic, alongside Cure Black & Cure White

EERYONE IS HERE

D

Deleted member

Okay, but I don't think anybody is actually going to unironically stan for this dude

Who knows? And even if someone does, it's their right to. It's a preference in a video game character, it's really not worth giving someone a hard time about.

Forcing one's taste in characters on another as "objectively better" is not only petty, but honestly kind of annoying. Let people want who they want, people don't have to like what you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Boy, do we have match for you tonight ladies and gentlemen!

In this corner, we have people who say Smash should focus on first parties!

And in this corner, we have people who say Smash is a celebration of all gaming history!

It's really heating up now, folks! Let's see where this goes on the next episode of-say it with me now-

POINTLESS! INTERNET! ARGUMENTS!

Double K

Smash Lord
Who knows? And even if someone does, it's their right to. It's a preference in a video game character, it's really not worth giving someone a hard time about.

Forcing one's taste in characters on another as "objectively better" is not only petty, but honestly kind of annoying. Let people want who they want, people don't have to like what you like.
My dude, Gheb is literally a forced meme that people don't want. Like for all the dunking people do for Waluigi, Gheb is that but actually seriously deserves it

Rremember the Paz spirit drama? This guy had an entir fan mod which was jokes like that. It's kind of ****ed up

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
So what are everyone's bets on a second DLC season happening?
I say it hinges on the overall reception of the current Fighter's Pass once the dust settles. If we're lucky, they'll plan a season 2 anyway, but assume the "worst" for now and just appreciate we're getting DLC right now at all.

When Sans shows up you're all gonna feel silly.
Wrong. You mean Frisk.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Nah, I'm not even believing that until we get one of those 2, specifically with a 30 year anniversary for Ninja Gaiden. If that or Doomguy happens, I'm on team real
saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Boy, do we have match for you tonight ladies and gentlemen!

In this corner, we have people who say Smash should focus on first parties!

And in this corner, we have people who say Smash is a celebration of all gaming history!

It's really heating up now, folks! Let's see where this goes on the next episode of-say it with me now-

POINTLESS! INTERNET! ARGUMENTS!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I say it hinges on the overall reception of the current Fighter's Pass once the dust settles. If we're lucky, they'll plan a season 2 anyway, but assume the "worst" for now and just appreciate we're getting DLC right now at all.
I'll have no complaints honestly. I already got my bois :ultkrool:and:ultridley:so anyone else like Banjo would be icing on cake for me.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Man imagine all this discussion happening and we don't even get Ryu Hayabusa or Doomguy.

Will we all feel silly.
I kinda want Erdrick to not get in only to see the meltdown as we start questioning everything we ever thought we knew. Bonus points if no SE rep gets in at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom