• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double K

Smash Lord
Oh **** I just realized that a recovery is kind of hard for Hero unless you make it the Flight method or Zoom

in the former case, that more or less restricts to Erdrick and Eight since those are the only ones that are shared iirc

D

Deleted member

Oh **** I just realized that a recovery is kind of hard for Hero unless you make it the Flight method or Zoom

in the former case, that more or less restricts to Erdrick and Eight since those are the only ones that are shared iirc
A chimera wing would work for recovery too though

D

Deleted member

Why would you go for a PS3 only for P5 when you could get a PS4 and play not only P5, but Bloodborne, God of War, Spider-Man, and all of the other PS4 exclusives that are worth owning the console for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
*Doomguy is all guts and gore with a warped sense of humor*

"He's got no personality!"

*Ridley's actual sentient intelligence has only ever been shown in a manga and in game he just comes across as murder pterodactyl*

"This is fine."

:BigThink:
Sad thing is, you'd be surprised how many people actually used the 'no personality' bit against Ridley as well. It was no "Too Big", but there were a number that insisted his lack of supposed personality meant he shouldn't be playable.

Makes looking back at the whole thing even more hilarious though considering Ridley shows a good amount of personality in Ultimate. I'm pretty sure Doomguy would fare just as well considering how much care Sakurai takes in bringing characters into Smash.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I can’t wait for when/if Steve, Doom Guy, and Ryu do not happen and everyone will be like “YEP knew it wasn’t real!”
I mean, are there many people even claiming the leak is real?

I find it very hard to believe that this random leaker knows EVERY dlc character already when most leakers have no real clue besides Erdrick.

If everything comes out as the guy says then we can talk (meaning P5 R releases first half of 2019, Switch ports for the older DQ games, Erdrick costumes etc.) , now though the only real "call" this guy made was Joker, considering DQ was being talked about for DLC before the game even released.

I also think the claim that every character will be shown off by E3 to be very dubious as well.

Double K

Smash Lord
Oh god I just foun out about the Verlisify drama in the ****ing Smash community and this is hysterical

Shroob

Sup?
I have a hard time believing that leak not because of the choices, but because they apparently know when the characters will be shown off, and it's hella frontloaded.

Unless Ryu is the final character, we'll know 4 of our 5 characters by E3, with another 6-7 months of allotted DLC time leftover.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can’t wait for when/if Steve, Doom Guy, and Ryu do not happen and everyone will be like “YEP knew it wasn’t real!”
We're gonna get Steve and it'll still be fake.

I believe in the Block Boi, along with Bear & Bird someday.

Brave Lady Lyn
woah why do y'all talk about Katalina when we got Lyn, Female Corrin, and Lucina- uh, I mean, uh, no! we can't hold all these fiyer emblumz anime!!!!

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
We're gonna get Steve and it'll still be fake.

I believe in the Block Boi, along with Bear & Bird someday.

woah why do y'all talk about Katalina when we got Lyn, Female Corrin, and Lucina- uh, I mean, uh, no! we can't hold all these fiyer emblumz!!!!
Katalina cooler. Ice powers yo

But Djeeta better

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So I came here to check In because I saw a new leak. I'm guessing people probably don't believe it. What's going on? What happened?

The one thing I'll say about it is that it just feels wrong. Like, I feel if I saw these characters all together in a pass I'd be like "Nope, not buying that". There's nobody that really feels big. It's super weird to say that about DoomSlayer, but that's the vibe I get.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
We're most likely going to learn about Erdrick in the next or Direct after Nintendo Direct, and then E3 will happen.

I just can't imagine us knowing 4 of our 5, or even all of them if Ryu gets shown off ahead of time, by June.

Their release dates could be staggered yes, but then, if we're going to have 2 DLC characters out before E3, and show off another 2 at E3(With maybe even a release like last time), the window of releases feels hella weird.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The 5ch leak is getting quite a lot of attention for something that really just banked on the most-discussed rumoured character at that time, Erdrick. It's not like the leak was the first to raise the concept of the DQ protag.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I have a hard time believing that leak not because of the choices, but because they apparently know when the characters will be shown off, and it's hella frontloaded.

Unless Ryu is the final character, we'll know 4 of our 5 characters by E3, with another 6-7 months of allotted DLC time leftover.
The way it's listed implies to me that Ryu would be the third character, which again implies pre E3.

That time window is another huge problem I have with it. Nintendo (particularly when it comes to Smash) loves their dramatic announcements, and I don't think they'd blow it all at E3. They don't really need to considering the amount of games already slated for 2019. They'd have Prime 4, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon, Three Houses and whatever else they haven't even announced yet (new Zelda has been rumored).

The only blow out in recent times was "Everyone is Here!" and that was done because that was Ultimate's entire advertising plan.

The only way I see the entire pass being revealed by E3 is if it's accompanied by the announcement of a second pass.

D

Deleted member

The 5ch leak is getting quite a lot of attention for something that really just banked on the most-discussed rumoured character at that time, Erdrick. It's not like the leak was the first to raise the concept of the DQ protag.
Yeah, a DQ protagonist was one of the first likely DLC reps that was theorized; especially after how well DQ XI went and how big the franchise is in general in Japan. Erdrick would be the perfect fit, too, since 'Erdrick' is a title and the DQ XI protagnonist was granted that title at the end, so its a good way to incorporate a DQ rep that is well recognized in Japan and provide one from the most recent game.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You're already there.
And by the way, I'm not a fan of Minecraft either.

Anyway.

I leave for a day and I come back to 57 alerts. Jesus, what'd I miss?

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, a DQ protagonist was one of the first likely DLC reps that was theorized; especially after how well DQ XI went and how big the franchise is in general in Japan. Erdrick would be the perfect fit, too, since 'Erdrick' is a title and the DQ XI protagnonist was granted that title at the end, so its a good way to incorporate a DQ rep that is well recognized in Japan and provide one from the most recent game.
I don't think it'll be Luminary though, or at the very least him as the main character.

Even Vergeben's been saying that he's heard Erdrick with Luminary together while all these 5ch posts have been saying that Luminary would be an alt ala Alph.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Those more so are reasons people justified it to themselves after the concept was murmured about even prior to release. Don't remember the exact timeline but I think it was PolarPanda sharing Verg's list of SE hopefuls that paved the way for Erdrick as the frontrunner. Regardless, this happened weeks before this leak afaik.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I’m just pulling for Waluigi and Isaac to make it next Smash.

#CamelotBros

No Waluigi game, no new GS, neither are playable in Smash.

I swear it’s like Nintendo has it out for Camelot.
Nintendo, in a statement:

We have heard our fans and their desire for more Camelot representation. So we've worked with our development team and are proud to announce a final DLC addition to Smash Bros. Ultimate:

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I thought the leak was being taken seriously because it accurately predicted P5R rather than because of Erdrick's presence?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
For me, the 5ch leak has a few points that are...odd, and I can't deny there's something about them:
  • It's Japanese. Most fake leaks are English, or someone trying to deliberately write it in Engrish and pretend they're Japanese to gain credibility. But this is straight up Japanese, and they're not as known for fake leaks.
  • Joker's really the key here - as much as we all admit Erdrick (or someone from DQ) is inbound, Joker wasn't highly rumored. For the leak to not only get that, but get him first (when everyone was banking on the Squeenix rep first because Vergy) is intriguing. And now they've got the right second character.
  • It's got brief explanations, but not in depth thought processes of inside Sakurai's mind like some of the fakes we've seen. And these briefs go perfectly in line with the fact that Nintendo corporate picked them - all are being added to promote something, DQ is there to try to give it a foothold in the west, the two Western characters being revealed at a major Western event, etc.
  • The times do actually line up with characters being announced, and then released a while later. I'm not expecting "The DLC will be finished by Feb 2020" to mean "The last DLC character will release Feb 29, 2020, at 11:59 pm," but if the last two are revealed at E3 (and remember, revealed doesn't necessarily mean anything more than "here's a name"), it could easily take until September for #4 and December/January for #5.
All in all, I'm pretty well Team Real for this. Hopefully Doomguy will then come with a Dovahkiin Mii costume or pave the way for a playable Dovahkiin in DLC pack 2?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I mean, I'll state on the record right now that I know it's not real. I don't need to wait.

Some of it could be real, but the leak in its entirety can't be. It's way too frontloaded and this intimate of information would be very hard to come across, if at all. I don't believe it, and I'm pretty sure a fairly large portion of people here don't as well.

Shroob

Sup?
For me, the 5ch leak has a few points that are...odd, and I can't deny there's something about them:
  • It's Japanese. Most fake leaks are English, or someone trying to deliberately write it in Engrish and pretend they're Japanese to gain credibility. But this is straight up Japanese, and they're not as known for fake leaks.
  • Joker's really the key here - as much as we all admit Erdrick (or someone from DQ) is inbound, Joker wasn't highly rumored. For the leak to not only get that, but get him first (when everyone was banking on the Squeenix rep first because Vergy) is intriguing. And now they've got the right second character.
  • It's got brief explanations, but not in depth thought processes of inside Sakurai's mind like some of the fakes we've seen. And these briefs go perfectly in line with the fact that Nintendo corporate picked them - all are being added to promote something, DQ is there to try to give it a foothold in the west, the two Western characters being revealed at a major Western event, etc.
  • The times do actually line up with characters being announced, and then released a while later. I'm not expecting "The DLC will be finished by Feb 2020" to mean "The last DLC character will release Feb 29, 2020, at 11:59 pm," but if the last two are revealed at E3 (and remember, revealed doesn't necessarily mean anything more than "here's a name"), it could easily take until September for #4 and December/January for #5.
All in all, I'm pretty well Team Real for this. Hopefully Doomguy will then come with a Dovahkiin Mii costume or pave the way for a playable Dovahkiin in DLC pack 2?
I mean, Erdrick isn't 'confirmed' yet, but, it's Erdrick.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So I came here to check In because I saw a new leak. I'm guessing people probably don't believe it. What's going on? What happened?

The one thing I'll say about it is that it just feels wrong. Like, I feel if I saw these characters all together in a pass I'd be like "Nope, not buying that". There's nobody that really feels big. It's super weird to say that about DoomSlayer, but that's the vibe I get.
>Steve
>Not big
>Discounting the major history of Doom Guy and Ryu Hayabusa

???

I could easily imagine two characters at E3. One full reveal and one tease a lá Joker.

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, if it's not Erdrick, I'll be very surprised. It feels like everything has fallen into place, between Verg, and 'Brave'.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So one of the leaks said Luminary is an alt like Alph eh?

Now, I was under the impression that “Brave” is considered a “small fighter”. I’m not sure how Luminary would fit that considering he appears to be like, Link’s height.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Real scummy Poke-tuber.
Now I feel the urge to ask, "The hell is a Poke-tuber?" But I think I can figure that one out.

Y'all are making me feel old just days before my thirtieth birthday.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not like it would be strange for Nintendo to do something like that. Lucas, Ryu, and Roy were all released together, with the latter 2 being released literally the same day they were officially announced, and we didn't get any further news on more DLC until 6 months later when they announced Cloud.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
So one of the leaks said Luminary is an alt like Alph eh?

Now, I was under the impression that “Brave” is considered a “small fighter”. I’m not sure how Luminary would fit that considering he appears to be like, Link’s height.
That was the original 2ch leak that mentioned "Jack Frost appears on stage with a skill", whatever that means.

Verg's apparently said he's always heard about Erdrick and Luminary together, so make of that as you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom