• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Actually just thought of this: doesn't Snake's fighter spirit have an actual gun on it?

What, Gothitelle?

***** please.
her ears look like accordion pumps and i bet her blood circulation in her legs is piss poor

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Finally got the Advent Children Cloud spirit, so now I have all the available Fighter Spirits.
Also evidently Cloud hates me since he was also the final character I unlocked. Once again, this is clearly Square Enix's fault.
accordion pumps
Those are called bellows.

D

Deleted member

Or my old avatar...

You know which one...
Funny thing is is that I'm pretty sure I had already seen it before somewhere.

...I'm still not sure what was wrong with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
her ears look like accordion pumps and i bet her blood circulation in her legs is piss poor
If we're taking pokemon circulatory systems and body proportions seriously, where do you stand on this guy?

Noipoi

Howdy!
What happened? I just got here.

Wondered why the place was kind of dead.

For a while we discussed Erdrick from Dragon Quest, Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, Doomguy from Doom, and Steve from Minecraft. Erdrick is probably in the code, but the rest are part of a text leak that I don't think is real. After a bit the discussion shifted to whether Smash should have more third parties or not. It got a tiny bit heated, but it was really funny.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
For a while we discussed Erdrick from Dragon Quest, Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, Doomguy from Doom, and Steve from Minecraft. Erdrick is probably in the code, but the rest are part of a text leak that I don't think is real. After a bit the discussion shifted to whether Smash should have more third parties or not. It got a tiny bit heated, but it was really funny.
Wait, that's it?

Am I a bad person because I was hoping it was something legitimately bad?

Double K

Smash Lord
Ever think about how in Bayonetta, one of the characters indirectly admitted to shagging a dog?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I was at work and skimming through whenever I was waiting for the elevator so it looked a lot more intense than it might’ve been.

Also I wanted an excuse to use that dog and otters picture.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Wait, that's it?

Am I a bad person because I was hoping it was something legitimately bad?
It depends.

If you wanted the whole board to lose it and have everyone go at eachother until we all get bannned, then you're just a lover of comedy.

If you wanted someone to have a heart attack then you might be a bad person. Just maybe.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
You know all this perversion and degeneracy wouldnt happen if Sora was the one in the leak instead of Erdrick.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It depends.

If you wanted the whole board to lose it and have everyone go at eachother until we all get bannned, then you're just a lover of comedy.

If you wanted someone to have a heart attack then you might be a bad person. Just maybe.

In all seriousness, the second option hadn't even crossed my mind. You have a dark side you're hiding, buddy.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post - Spam
*enters

Hey guys what's...going.......on................

*leaves

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You underestimate the Smash community's ability to be upset over literally anything
I dunno man. After seeing the Overwatch competitive scene news today, I don't think our community's the worst.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Doomguy/Slayer is an icon for the FPS genre. Since Brawl, Super Smash Brothers has become increasingly less about Nintendo characters and more about the legacy of videogames in general (Though Nintendo characters are the primary focus of course). As we've gotten a representative for fighting games (Ryu), JRPGs (Cloud), even tactical stealth games hosting deep narratives (Snake), the FPS genre has become increasingly absent.

Of course, it goes without saying that Sakurai would have been hard pressed previously to include characters from such a genre. Nowadays most prominent first person shooter characters have ties to Microsoft, which would prove difficult to acquire. These include Master Chief and protagonists from Gears of War such as Marcus Fenix. Military shooters are incredibly hard to draw a distinct one from the bunch, as is creating an enjoyable moveset. There also goes without saying the family friendly image Nintendo as a whole carries (And to a degree, still do).

But things have changed. One of the characters in this game is the gun toting umbra witch Bayonetta. The other, the famed mercenary Snake. Both previously in Rated M games. It's also worth noting, judging by previous DLC additions, that Nintendo has an eye for 3rd party characters that have ties to the legacy of video games. AND....it just so happens that in 2016, a certain video game character with a roots in the foundation of FPS genre rose to prominence once more due to their game being released to a satisfying success. With a follow up sequel arriving soon, there's no better time...

As for moveset design, The Doom Slayer rivals Master Chief in the potential and possibly surpassing. A very wide variety of weaponry including Super Shotguns, Plasma Guns, Rocket Launchers, and for his final smash, the BFG 9000! He's also no stranger to up close action, featuring glory kill animations (Can be used for grabs) and his lovely chainsaw. He acquires jump boots a quarter into Doom 2016 as a means to traverse (Can be used as a double jump or recovery).

Look, all I'm saying is, I'd welcome the Doom Slayer with open arms being my first and only DLC wish. I feel a character like him is the final piece to fill what Smash has been turning into: A legacy of Videogame characters.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
AND....it just so happens that in 2016, a certain video game character with a roots in the foundation of FPS genre rose to prominence once more due to their game being released to a satisfying success.
That's not even the first time he's been on a Nintendo console.

It plays like ****, by the way.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
That's not even the first time he's been on a Nintendo console.

It plays like ****, by the way.
Not forgetting that, I'm saying that his release in 2016 makes the character rise to prominence once more, considering the last Doom game, Doom 3 in 2004, wasn't as well received. Never said what game releases he did or didn't have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Curious, among :ultmario:,:ultluigi:, and:ultdoc:, who is considered the best?

My guess is Mario due to Linguine and Doc's recovery woes.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not forgetting that, I'm saying that his release in 2016 makes the character rise to prominence once more. Never said what game releases he did or didn't have.
I wasn't correcting. I was adding to your argument. Having an earlier Nintendo appearance is a point in his favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom