• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
What is your worst character in quick play?
Pit to me feels nauseating, especially since I feel like I can't hit anything, and his side-b is a dash instead a pressure tool (Something I was not used to in ultimate).
Edit: Also Young Link due to minor lag, combined with his lack of range that I also wasn't used too.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This thread moves too fast. Is that part of the same "leak" as "Joker, Doomguy, Steve"? Where was it posted?
It's unrelated. Somebody datamined Smash Ultimate and found 3 words that relate to a fighter. Jack is one of them. The other is PP's Japanese name. Last one is Brave. Brave is the translation of a term heavily used in context of Dragon Quest, meaning there's a fair chance it's referring to that. Plus the latest leak(not related to the Doomguy one) has many people believing he's likely in. I will note that the leaked information is the belief he's in. We have no hard evidence Erdrick is in whatsoever.

Fun fact: Snakes abandon their newborns in the wild. They keep them safe until they hatch then immediately peace out. Newborns hatch and start hunting.
DQM also notes that the Monsters aren't "animals" and thoughtful beings. They're actually very intelligent and sapient. Which is what makes it look far worse. That, and not every Monster is a snake.

i don't think its that bad, but i can't really come up with a way it isn't so like

whatever i guess?
You could simply... not defend parental abandonment? I mean, it's not that hard. You aren't even giving a single reason why it should even be in those games. Sure, there might be reasons why it works best for gameplay, but that doesn't mean it was handled well or thoughtfully. Not like every game doesn't have bad points to their design. But changing it would require a lot more work than needed, so it's left in. That's... actually a legitimate reason. You're not giving any. "It is because it is" is not an actual point. Do you even have one? I'm not sure why you're dragging this out as is. I think it may be best in cases like this to just bite the bullet and say "Eh, it doesn't matter to me, so I don't feel like debating it." Agreeing to disagreeing, basically. It honestly is better than being contrary just for the sake of it.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
And now we've moved to outright hostility and threats of violence. What a loving community we have here.
my dude nobody was even being rude to you until you decided people were being rude to you. all this is coming off as is that you're upset nobody really agrees with you and you don't want to actually look at the facts

Bionichute

Smash Champion
You could simply... not defend parental abandonment? I mean, it's not that hard. You aren't even giving a single reason why it should even be in those games. Sure, there might be reasons why it works best for gameplay, but that doesn't mean it was handled well or thoughtfully. Not like every game doesn't have bad points to their design. But changing it would require a lot more work than needed, so it's left in. That's... actually a legitimate reason. You're not giving any. "It is because it is" is not an actual point. Do you even have one? I'm not sure why you're dragging this out as is. I think it may be best in cases like this to just bite the bullet and say "Eh, it doesn't matter to me, so I don't feel like debating it." Agreeing to disagreeing, basically. It honestly is better than being contrary just for the sake of it.
yeah thats why i ended that with whatever because i don't feel like fighting about a game mechanic i don't actually really care about.

i will say that you're probably looking at it too deep with the parental abandonment thing? in most of the monsters games its very clearly presented as more just magical fusion than actual breeding. but like i said i don't want to fight about this

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Ah yes, Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa, the super Japanese pandering characters
hayabusa is literally a feudal ninja made by japanese teams how is that not japanese pandering

did you mean steve?? because you didn't write steve there

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
hayabusa is literally a feudal ninja made by japanese teams how is that not japanese pandering

did you mean steve?? because you didn't write steve there
Ninja Gaiden has always been more popular in the West, mostly because of the whole Xbox focused thing. And Ninja Gaiden is modern
Also Japan loves Minecraft. He's worldwide pick like Joker

Last edited:

Augi

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure you could play all the Kingdom Hearts games and still not be able to understand why exactly Sora's fighting Kingdom Hearts characters
Can confirm. You can watch a 3 hour seminar on the plot of KH and still not understand it. (I've watched that seminar twice... still struggle with it)

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I don't like that in some games with character customizations, you only wear outfits from other characters already in the game instead of something basic like, casual clothing, holiday outfits, bathing suits, pajamas, battle uniforms, and down-to-earth/grounded outfits (Which I hope there's more of that instead of only flashy outfits). It's the reason why I was really disappointed with Shinobi Striker, and Jump Forces, sure it may take more time to make, but still.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Leaker predicted GranBlue Fantasy Versus and P5R. But who knows, take it with a grain of salt.
I hope not. These selections are just lack luster. Third parties have gone from pegends to...this.
Ah yes, Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa, the super Japanese pandering characters
I meant DQ and to a lesser extent Joker. Besides, doom guy isn't exactly the best western pander.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Wait, there actual reason to believe Doomguy? Have they lost their ever loving minds?
It's up in the air. There's a rumor from 5chan that supposedly listed the DLC characters, and Doom Marine was one of them. It gained traction because (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it predated another leak that supposedly called P5R and Erdrick. It is also saying Erdrick/Luminary, which potentially coincides with the possible generic hero class data names in the new datamine.

Now, P5R was known but not exactly big news, and I don't have a source for the timestamps on any of these. GameXplain put out a video on it an they're split 50/50 on whether it's true or not based on the Granblue fighting game prediction. EDIT: After reviewing the text it seems GameXplain is mistaken about this rumor calling Granblue. It doesn't mention it.

Vergeben hasn't to my knowledge said anything specifically on this leak other than "Erdrick makes sense and I've almost always heard Luminary with him."

So I dunno.

PapaGenos's new video sums it up better than I can, so here have a link.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Wait, there actual reason to believe Doomguy? Have they lost their ever loving minds?
It's probably worth mentioning this here:
looking at all these posts, I have one thing to say

yall better bring down your expectations
To give a more personal opinion on the matter, I have to admit that I'm leaning toward #TeamReal, but for slightly self-serving reasons.

The big one for me is that I'm not particularly attached to any of the characters in the line-up. If I saw even one of my Most-Wanted characters, I'd be incredibly skeptical due to how too good to be true it would be, but the fact that all of the characters range from "indifferent" to "neat!", I'm treating the list as "disappointing" as far as my wants go (in air quotes, because it's a solid list of characters, I SWEAR). So in a way, it's probably real to me because it's the sort of list that could be fake and I wouldn't bat an eye.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yeah thats why i ended that with whatever because i don't feel like fighting about a game mechanic i don't actually really care about.

i will say that you're probably looking at it too deep with the parental abandonment thing? in most of the monsters games its very clearly presented as more just magical fusion than actual breeding. but like i said i don't want to fight about this
I don't count it when it's a fusion. DQM is no fusion, it's blatantly the parents leaving the child behind. That's literally the idea. It wouldn't take much writing to fix it, anyway. Like saying "the parents left the child in the care of the tamer that loved them the most." and be done with it. There. Non-lazy writing and completely changes the tone to be quite nice.

They literally leave the child behind with little explanation in the actual first set of games. It's not explained why it's a good thing. It's just handled poorly. It's really the only major downside the DQM has overall(besides 2 being less balanced, as you can't get back your MP at a reasonable rate...).

It doesn't really matter in games much where they don't delve into the Monsters being majorly important at all. Because they're just animals, which is considered far more normal. Also, I'm looking at exactly what's presented. It's designed that way and is just an unfortunate thing. I've also played games with the magical fusion thing. That's just plain better designed since it removes actual issues with the writing. It doesn't fix 'em, but it doesn't contain lazy writing that has negative points to 'em.

That said, yeah, agree to disagree.

Augi

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I'd be cool with Doomguy. He's been around long enough, and is an icon in his own right in the video game industry.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is a really dumb question but I just got pranked and I have no idea what that entails.
It means nothing overall. It's just a silly thing that can be done to any user who isn't Premium or has a specific colored-name role.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
doom guy is like, a lowkey want for me, but i'd still rather see more first party characters get in before mr rip and tear

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
tbh I'd be fine with this leak as while Steve would be the only one I care about, Dragon Quest seems interesting and cool and the others seem cool as well.
I wonder if getting Doomguy means we'll get a stage that's literally Heck with aliens.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I hope not. These selections are just lack luster. Third parties have gone from pegends to...this.
You do you but I think if the leak's true than it's way better than Smash 4's DLC. Joker looks cool. Erdrick is my least favorite of the bunch but he still looks cool. Steve's a bombshell on the level of Cloud IMO and unlike Cloud I've played and enjoyed Minecraft. Doomguy's one of my most wanted and Hayabusa is definitely welcome.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Honestly, I'd be cool with Doomguy. He's been around long enough, and is an icon in his own right in the video game industry.
People really REALLY REALLY understate just how important Doom is to the video game industry as a whole. It coined the terms Deathmatch and gibbing, and templated the core FPS weapon set we still see to date. Heck, it was responsible for online gaming being as in demand as it was. It had a larger install base than Microsoft Windows even when the PC was establishing itself.

If Smash is a celebration of gaming as a whole, Doom earned its spot twelve times over.

D

Deleted member

Leaker predicted GranBlue Fantasy Versus and P5R. But who knows, take it with a grain of salt.
I get the feeling there were two different leaks (one with Erdrick and both DQ and Persona stage info, one with the set of five) that people are somehow mixing up....
Which one said GrandBlue Fantasy and P5R?

Arthur97

Smash Master
You do you but I think if the leak's true than it's way better than Smash 4's DLC. Joker looks cool. Erdrick is my least favorite of the bunch but he still looks cool. Steve's a bombshell on the level of Cloud IMO and unlike Cloud I've played and enjoyed Minecraft. Doomguy's one of my most wanted and Hayabusa is definitely welcome.
Hardly. Cloud and Ryu were at least big names as opposed to just Steve. And it included first parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom