• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Augi

Smash Cadet
This leak isn't confirmed, right?
Like many leaks, nope its not confirmed. But who knows. I thought I'd just mention it here.

The article seemed emphatic about it being credible because:

"the individual leaking it previously released details about a GranBlue Fantasy Versus fighting game from Arc System Works before it was announced and further information that P5R will release in the first half of 2019. The former has since been confirmed as a legitimate title, while the latter is now set for a formal reveal in March 2019."

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Given how Erdrick has different tools at his disposal, would you say he would fight like a mix of Link and Robin? Or Link and Simon? Or a variation of all 3?
i'd say he would probably be a link/robin type, maybe with some unique bits of his own. my favorite rumor rn is the one that says he can summon slime for one of his attacks, monster catching was a thing in dq3 from what i remember, and is still a major part of the franchise to this day (except for 11)

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
As someone who's never played DQ, when I Google Erdrick I just get a(nother) spiky-haired guy with a sword and questionable fashion sense.
What exactly is the hidden potential here?

D

Deleted member

hell even with swords there's a ton of different styles that just aren't represented in smash bros sword users. its all kind of just a general knight style of sword fighting, we don't have like, a samurai or a fencer or anything. not to say i know who would even cover those styles of swordplay in smash bros, but i think its a major issue that the most variety we've gotten are Big Sword Boys ike and cloud
I know that very well but I do think it gets a bit tiring in stories when the ultimate weapon or whatever is always a sword. Fighting styles will always be varied but there's a clear lack of exploration with ither weapons. I can't blame writers though, it's the most basic and practical form of weaponry.

As for a samurai, I'm kinda annoyed Sakurai has denied Takamary when he would be the perfect candidate for it but hey, Crono exists, r-right?

D

Deleted member

As someone who's never played DQ, when I Google Erdrick I just get a(nother) spiky-haired guy with a sword and questionable fashion sense.
Check the Dragon Quest Wiki page of him.

The sword is the strongest weapon, but he has more tools at his disposal: whips, boomerangs, spells, staffs, lances, axes, etc...

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Still helps my point lol.
Hardly. Only Lucina is cloney. The rest of 4's swordfighters were unique enough to stand out on their own.

You need context from people who have played the games to understand why Erdrick is an exception to the rule. For starters, he's not strictly swordfighter material despite what official art has you believe. Just ask anyone who's savvy with DQ here.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Off topic, but I think a shotgun ninja can be cool. Sure it lacks the sneaky aspect, but going ham by going full-speed into someone's face with a buckshot (Ninja-style) seems really cool to think about.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
While we're on the topic of swordfighters, aside from Ryu Hayabusa, it would be a dream if this guy got in.

He has a moveset, and maybe can even use the Plume for a boost in stats. SE will probably never think of him again, but eh.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hardly. Only Lucina is cloney. The rest of 4's swordfighters were unique enough to stand out on their own.

You need context from people who have played the games to understand why Erdrick is an exception to the rule. For starters, he's not strictly swordfighter material despite what official art has you believe. Just ask anyone who's savvy with DQ here.
I'm fighting this in my own head to be honest

:ultchrom: is :ultroy: but with :ultike: tools making him different

:ultlucina: is :ultmarth: with no tipper thus making her plystyle different now.

Even though I not their biggest fan its something I've been thinking about.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i don't think you're ever going to find a dragon quest fan that will tell you erdrick is the best choice for smash bros on a potential level, but it doesn't mean that he doesn't have any potential at all

unless sakurai screws up bad and he does just end up being Another sword character

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
It’s funny that the sword argument toward Erdrick and the counter arguments for Erdrick almost reminds me of Isaac.

A spiky haired JRPG hero who’s accused of being another generic anime sword user but is more capable of magic to his defense.

I think this applied to Cloud and Robin as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As someone who's never played BK, when I Google Banjo-Kazooie I just get a(nother) bear guy with a bird and questionable fashion sense.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i'd say he would probably be a link/robin type, maybe with some unique bits of his own. my favorite rumor rn is the one that says he can summon slime for one of his attacks, monster catching was a thing in dq3 from what i remember, and is still a major part of the franchise to this day (except for 11)
It even got a spin-off based upon that concept. Slime is also the Pikachu is each of the original DQ Monster games. Just unlike Pokemon Yellow, can do things like Breed(which is more complicated than Pokemon breeding, as the two monsters disappear as if they fused into a new one. The parents just give the child over to you. Arguably this is one of the bad concepts of the game).

Pakky

Smash Hero
As someone who's never played BK, when I Google Banjo-Kazooie I just get a(nother) bear guy with a bird and questionable fashion sense.
Ya'know that's fair, seriously.

Same with Coker and his no pants.

Also from a surface level perspective, :ultmario: who is this little fat man? What is the potential in his set?

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
It even got a spin-off based upon that concept. Slime is also the Pikachu is each of the original DQ Monster games. Just unlike Pokemon Yellow, can do things like Breed(which is more complicated than Pokemon breeding, as the two monsters disappear as if they fused into a new one. The parents just give the child over to you. Arguably this is one of the bad concepts of the game).
and yet its a mechanic that countless games have emulated, and has been generally well received every single time it shows up

not seeing how its that bad mate

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
That's what I was hoping for (and seem to be receiving) with my post. The magic/monsters stuff sounds like it could be cool.

Excuse me, name one other bird/bear team in fiction :laugh:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
and yet its a mechanic that countless games have emulated, and has been generally well received every single time it shows up

not seeing how its that bad mate
Parental abandonment is pretty bad, which is clearly the tone it set. Though not intentional.

And Pokemon didn't. Actually, what games besides DQ even did this? I never heard of that being common for breeding mechanics.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Parental abandonment is pretty bad, which is clearly the tone it set. Though not intentional.

And Pokemon didn't. Actually, what games besides DQ even did this? I never heard of that being common for breeding mechanics.
i mean like

literally every smt game does that exact same thing

D

Deleted member

Seems I triggered some people. Sorry, I wasn't aware that I'm not entitled to my own opinion.
The only thing that will be "triggered" here is this gun if you trivialize the meaning of that word again.
That's what I was hoping for (and seem to be receiving) with my post. The magic/monsters stuff sounds like it could be cool.

Duck Hunt

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i mean like

literally every smt game does that exact same thing
And that makes it good... how? Cause you haven't given a reason why that kind of thing is good. I see that as a bad thing. There's no reason for the monsters to leave in itself. DQM didn't handle it that well. And it set the idea too, if I remember right. With Pokemon being inspired by DQM(just handled in a far more positive tone).

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
As someone who’s never played DK, when I Google Donkey Kong, all I see is a gorilla wearing a tie.

What is the hidden potential here?

I like this meme

Bionichute

Smash Champion
And that makes it good... how? Cause you haven't given a reason why that kind of thing is good. I see that as a bad thing. There's no reason for the monsters to leave in itself. DQM didn't handle it that well. And it set the idea too, if I remember right. With Pokemon being inspired by DQM(just handled in a far more positive tone).
i don't think its that bad, but i can't really come up with a way it isn't so like

whatever i guess?

Augi

Smash Cadet
This thread moves too fast. Is that part of the same "leak" as "Joker, Doomguy, Steve"? Where was it posted?
the Brave leak was from earlier this morning. It comes from reliable Datamining. The second leak is one I posted from an article, and it's supported by a leaker who has been right about things in the past.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
This thread moves too fast. Is that part of the same "leak" as "Joker, Doomguy, Steve"? Where was it posted?
It's a character within the files after PP and Joker, probably a DQ character due to various reasons but possibly from something like Bravely Default.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman

I mean a bear is really just a buff dog, and we already have Duck Hunt
/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom