• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if there's music pieces in the online challenges board?
The only stuff you get from the online section of the challenge board is gold/sp/spirit board items. Nothing unique like spirits, music, or mii costumes.

I kind of wish Link at least have a unique parry mechanic where it stuns your opponent for a second when doing it up-close, similar to the mechanic in BOTW.
I'd prefer the BotW backflips over BotW parries. Parries in BotW seem pointless when backflips do more damage and are easier to pull off. Plus the mechanic in smash would be too similar to the parries Ultimate already has. What they should've done is make Link's parry animation the thing from BotW.

D

Deleted member

I was having a conversation on Discord about late or recent characters for Smash, and i wanted to talk for a second about Crash.

When talking about Crash Bandicoot as a character that arrived too late or in time for Smash, we have to consider one thing: Skylanders Imaginators.

First, Activision had to contact Nintendo to get the permission for the compability with the DK and Bowser figures, so Nintendo had to know at least about general stuff of the game.

In addition, the Crash Bandicoot edition of the game, alongside the character and the remasters, were revealed at E3 of 2016, meaning that Imaginators started development around 2015.
It is possible that Nintendo knew to some extent about the Crash stuff, so Crash isn’t really a pick that arrived too late, all thanks to Skylanders Imaginators.

Take in mind that Crash in Skylanders wasn’t the same deal as Spyro in the first game of that franchise. Instead of showing him as another new character or just another random figure, he was promoted as a guest and a way to build hype for the remasters. It wasn’t something like “Crash Bandicoot is trapped in Skylanders alongside Spyro. Forget him now”, but instead something like “We are bringing back Crash, and we will put him in Skylanders to make the wait fast”.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Any thoughts on the unannounced DLC character codenamed "Brave"?
It's probably a DQ character, likely Erdrick.

Some people think it could be a Bravely Default character (Agnès).

My take: there's a non-zero chance it could be Agumon, but only if they're referencing the anime (though the Pokémon characters prove they're willing to do that).

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, Brave is most likely Erdrick. That much I think we can mostly agree on. The other three characters are still a mystery.

Anything happen?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
That's great and all, but... do we really need more swordfighters?
Not this argument again........

As tame as I can be with that "argument". It's a poor argument when Sakurai has made most of the swordfighters unique from each other. And besides the number of swordfighters is not that big especially compared to the fighters who fight with their fists.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
That's great and all, but... do we really need more swordfighters?
Borrowing Mr. Wario's post here:
Guys, swords are the worst. I mean, just look how many sword users there are on the roster!:

:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultganondorf::ultmarth::ultike::ultroy::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultshulk::ultmetaknight::ultmiifighters::ultcloud:

15 out of 74!? Ludicrous! Sakurai's bias for these characters is extremely clear here, I'm afraid. SMH, when are fighters who punch and kick or have their own gimmicks gonna get more love?

Yeah, this is sarcasm for anyone curious.
We have a massive influx of cartoony characters who either brawl or shoot stuff. There is no sworduser boogieman here.

D

Deleted member

>People saying that Erdrick is just a swordfighter without even checking a Wiki or information about the character.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I'm very happy at the increased possibility of Erdrick's inclusion. I can't lie, it'd be very neat if it was a Bowser Jr. situation where every alt would be a different Hero. I love the Hero designs from the other games a lot, I think that diversity would benefit the character very much in the eyes of those who don't know much of the series. If I had to pick one though, I'd go with the DQ1 design. It's very particular and that type of armor and color palette isn't very present in the roster currently.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
>People saying that Erdrick is just a swordfighter without even checking a Wiki or information about the character.
The irony is the second playable Hero Class character in DQII was just that. That is, nothing but a weapon/armor/helmet only. What people fail to realize is that the Heroes have tons of viable weapons. The sword is just the strongest weapon overall in DQ1, which is Erdrick's Sword and Erdrick's Armor, having very unique abilities for the Armor as well.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly the reason people hate swordies is cause there's a bunch of clones which pad out the roster and some people think that the swordy clone could have been I don't know, anyone else
I can't believe they picked Chrom over my boy.

EDIT: Oh right images are broke. The guy's Alm.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm very happy at the increased possibility of Erdrick's inclusion. I can't lie, it'd be very neat if it was a Bowser Jr. situation where every alt would be a different Hero. I love the Hero designs from the other games a lot, I think that diversity would benefit the character very much in the eyes of those who don't know much of the series. If I had to pick one though, I'd go with the DQ1 design. It's very particular and that type of armor and color palette isn't very present in the roster currently.
My favourite heroe is the one from DQ8.
He means a lot to me as a player, since that game is a big part of my younger life as a gamer.

For me, he is up there with K.Rool, Megaman, Sonic, Samus Aran, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The extent of my history with Dragon Quest is picking up a pamphlet for the DS game from Gamestop when I was a kid, thinking "this looks cool!" and never getting it.

Still, Dragon Quest is cool. I have no issues with Erdrick.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Honestly the reason people hate swordies is cause there's a bunch of clones which pad out the roster and some people think that the swordy clone could have been I don't know, anyone else
"Oh gr8, now we're gonna get Goku!Marth! Ugh, I hate swordcharacters! When are we getting unique characters like Crash Bandicoot and Rayman!?"
Which in turn makes them blindly hate all swordusers and view them as extensions of the Fire Emblem cast, apparently. I mention that franchise in particular because it gets way more heat than say Zelda and its Triforce of Courage x3.

Not trying to start beef with the Crash and Rayman fandoms btw. I'm referring to a specific subset of fans that universally despise sword characters and anything they view as having an anime aesthetic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Oh gr8, now we're gonna get Goku!Marth! Ugh, I hate swordcharacters! When are we getting unique characters like Crash Bandicoot and Rayman!?"
Which in turn makes them blindly hate all swordusers and view them as extensions of the Fire Emblem cast, apparently. I mention that franchise in particular because it gets way more heat than say Zelda and its Triforce of Courage x3.

Not trying to start beef with the Crash and Rayman fandoms btw. I'm referring to a specific subset of fans that universally despise sword characters and anything they view has an anime aesthetic.
As a Crash fan, you shouldn’t worry.
The ones i know here are cool people, so they won’t feel bad.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
dragon quest is far more known for its spells than even final fantasy is, to the point of several big name japanese series like jojo specifically referencing them. so, just saying that any dragon quest character would just be a weapon is pretty incorrect

Augi

Smash Cadet
So I just saw another article, from Screen Rant, saying they have info from a VERY reliable tipster on the rest of the DLC cast, saying the rest are:

- Erdrick (As has been discussed)
- Doom Guy (DOOM)
- Steve (Minecraft) Please god no. Just... no.
- Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

All in all... not a bad cast... except for Steve. He really doesn't deserve being in the game, imho.

I would love to see Doom Guy. He's a classic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just wish fiction didn't have such a huge boner for swords so we could have had a spear fighter or a damn scythe user alreadt.
If you want to blame anyone for so many swordfighters, blame the writers of olde who thought it'd be cool to glorify medieval pepper sprays.
Every writer ever: "Swords are so cool, they are the weapon for every true hero!"
Peasent tired of hearing the same stories with swords: "God I can't wait for this fad to die out."

Pakky

Smash Hero

Not trying to start beef with the Crash and Rayman fandoms btw. I'm referring to a specific subset of fans that universally despise sword characters and anything they view as having an anime aesthetic.
WOT YOU SAY ABOUT RAYMAN MATE??????????!!!

Naw its cool fam, though it is a shame that FE kinda only gets Swordsmen. Also why is :ultchrom: so damn good?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Sword hate can't make sense when you realize about 4/5 of the roster doesn't even use one. I don't get the problem with more of them when brawlers are way more frequent, and next to nobody complains about that. Not that anybody should, but still...

Give me more, please?

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I just wish fiction didn't have such a huge boner for swords so we could have had a spear fighter or a damn scythe user alreadt.
If you want to blame anyone for so many swordfighters, blame the writers of olde who thought it'd be cool to glorify medieval pepper sprays.
Every writer ever: "Swords are so cool, they are the weapon for every true hero!"
Peasent tired of hearing the same stories with swords: "God I can't wait for this fad to die out."
hell even with swords there's a ton of different styles that just aren't represented in smash bros sword users. its all kind of just a general knight style of sword fighting, we don't have like, a samurai or a fencer or anything. not to say i know who would even cover those styles of swordplay in smash bros, but i think its a major issue that the most variety we've gotten are Big Sword Boys ike and cloud

Noipoi

Howdy!
So I just saw another article, from Screen Rant, saying they have info from a VERY reliable tipster on the rest of the DLC cast, saying the rest are:

- Erdrick (As has been discussed)
- Doom Guy (DOOM)
- Steve (Minecraft) Please god no. Just... no.
- Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

All in all... not a bad cast... except for Steve. He really doesn't deserve being in the game, imho.

I would love to see Doom Guy. He's a classic.
This leak isn't confirmed, right?

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
As a Crash fan, you shouldn’t worry.
The ones i know here are cool people, so they won’t feel bad.
Glad we're cool then!

dragon quest is far more known for its spells than even final fantasy is, to the point of several big name japanese series like jojo specifically referencing them. so, just saying that any dragon quest character would just be a weapon is pretty incorrect
Given how Erdrick has different tools at his disposal, would you say he would fight like a mix of Link and Robin? Or Link and Simon? Or a variation of all 3?

WOT YOU SAY ABOUT RAYMAN MATE??????????!!!

Naw its cool fam, though it is a shame that FE kinda only gets Swordsmen. Also why is :ultchrom: so damn good?
Maybe some day we'll get a more unique ensemble across all games. I run into K.Rool the most, and only some Fire Emblem characters occasionally when the internet is suddenly butt. Either I log on in a different time or I am an anti-Chrom magnet.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Honestly I blame Smash 4’s newcomer roster for the infamous sword complaint.

64::link64:
Melee::linkmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:
Brawl::toonlink::link2::ike::marth::metaknight:
4::4cloud::4corrin::4link::4myfriends::4marth::4lucina::4robinm::4shulk::4miisword::4feroy::4metaknight::4tlink:

Even worse if you want to count Pit and Dark Pit’s dual blades as swords.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I would love to see some archer or mage rep get in too. Not completely sure who the best picks for either type would be, but it would be nice.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Honestly I blame Smash 4’s newcomer roster for the infamous sword complaint.

Melee::linkmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:
Brawl::toonlink::link2::ike::marth::metaknight:
4::4cloud::4corrin::4link::4myfriends::4marth::4lucina::4robinm::4shulk::4miisword::4feroy::4metaknight::4tlink:

Even worse if you want to count Pit and Dark Pit’s dual blades as swords.
Not sure if sarcasm, but you are cheating here, sir.
Melee::marthmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:
Brawl::toonlink::ike::metaknight:
4::4cloud::4corrin::4lucina::4robinm::4shulk::4miisword:
That's more like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom