• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This talk about the leaks has gotten me a bit worried. Obviously I’m catastrophizing, but it’s still bothering me. I thought about how much flak Minecraft reps could get, and how those fans would react should it actually go through. I imagineed multiple scenarios happening, with the tamest being that fans were so vocal that Nintendo is forced to candles the challenger pack, while the worst of it involves a bomb, NoA’s headquarters, upset fans, and the subsequent cancellation of all DLC beyond that point. Obviously I’m being dramatic, but it still scares me how far fans will go should we get anything from Minecraft.
Imagine being scared of the reception Minecraft will get

-This post has been made by Bayo gang

Nah, Smash fandom would act like babies and disappoint me even further because god forbid Sakurai adds a character they don't like

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’m just pulling for Waluigi and Isaac to make it next Smash.

#CamelotBros

No Waluigi game, no new GS, neither are playable in Smash.

I swear it’s like Nintendo has it out for Camelot.
Nintendo doesn't make Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This talk about the leaks has gotten me a bit worried. Obviously I’m catastrophizing, but it’s still bothering me. I thought about how much flak Minecraft reps could get, and how those fans would react should it actually go through. I imagineed multiple scenarios happening, with the tamest being that fans were so vocal that Nintendo is forced to candles the challenger pack, while the worst of it involves a bomb, NoA’s headquarters, upset fans, and the subsequent cancellation of all DLC beyond that point. Obviously I’m being dramatic, but it still scares me how far fans will go should we get anything from Minecraft.
... that's ridiculously stupid.

At most it's just going to be a bunch of death threats as usual.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Nah, people will probably just flood the internet with salty post for a few days before they get over themselves and Nintendo release the pack as planned.

The reaction to Steve couldn't be any worse then Corrins reveal or worse yet, a certain plant spitting in the face of the Grinch hoax.

Noipoi

Howdy!
We still don't know what Persona 5 R is, but it isn't a Switch port.

Sorry guys, looks like i'm not becoming a fan anytime soon.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Imagine being scared of the reception Minecraft will get

-This post has been made by Bayo gang

Nah, Smash fandom would act like babies and disappoint me even further because god forbid Sakurai adds a character they don't like
That’s a fair point, especially concerning characters we’ve seen in recent years: Cloud, Pittoo, literally anyone from Fire Emblem...

Even then, I’m open to anyone getting into smash, Steve(?) included. Even though most of my time in Minecraft consists of doofing around with mods.

You people are animals for not putting the (?) at the end of his name, by the way. Very unprofessional.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
That’s a fair point, especially concerning characters we’ve seen in recent years: Cloud, Pittoo, literally anyone from Fire Emblem...

Even then, I’m open to anyone getting into smash, Steve(?) included. Even though most of my time in Minecraft consists of doofing around with mods.

You people are animals for not putting the (?) at the end of his name, by the way. Very unprofessional.
Minecraft/Mojang doesn't even include the ? anymore.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Actually, "Brave" is the third-slowest character (after Incineroar and Piranha Plant) and is decently heavy, though not really extremely heavy or anything, but that probably reduces the chances that it's Sora or a Bravely Default character, maybe not Yuri either. Robin is really slow too, so maybe it could still be someone like that, but I'm not sure.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I feel like Sakurai will present Steve in a way that’ll make people like him. There’s a lot you can do with him, so if he’s really unique then people will warm up to him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Sakurai will present Steve in a way that’ll make people like him. There’s a lot you can do with him, so if he’s really unique then people will warm up to him.
Some people already like him. Some people may warm up to him. Some people won't like a character no matter how unique they are.

Same with pretty much every other character.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Some people already like him. Some people may warm up to him. Some people won't like a character no matter how unique they are.

Same with pretty much every other character.
I know, but I’m just saying theres not gonna be this big ****show if he’s revealed.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Has Jesus even appeared on a Nintendo console? Not sure why you'd bring him up. There's other more likely religious figures.
We already got Joker, blue haired Jesus from Persona 3 wouldn't be so weird.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Actually, "Brave" is the third-slowest character (after Incineroar and Piranha Plant) and is decently heavy, though not really extremely heavy or anything, but that probably reduces the chances that it's Sora or a Bravely Default character, maybe not Yuri either. Robin is really slow too, so maybe it could still be someone like that, but I'm not sure.
ngl it'd be pretty funny if they made Erdrick/BD squad super slow just cause they're used to standing around motionlessly on a turn-based battle screen all day

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Yeah, most people will be angry with Steve. So what? It’s no different from :ultcorrin::ultpiranha:.

People can’t just like whatever damn character they add.

I’ll get annoyed and maybe a little pissed if he happens but I’ll buy him anyway.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Makes me think of a knight in a full armor or something...
Brave suggests some kind of hero, or something related to the fantasy universe (not necessarily though).
No fast jab means that the attacks are probably slower but powerful (but again, not necessarily).
Medium size means that it's not a big monster like Bowser or K Rool, but still big enough to be compatible with a human-proportions character.

It's possible that it's a Dragon Quest character, but the fact that's slow IMO hints at something different.
I know it makes absolutely no sense, but it may even be Steve for what we know (human proportions, decently heavy, slow, no fast jab... no connections to "Brave" thoguh).

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I know, but I’m just saying theres not gonna be this big ****show if he’s revealed.
So what? ****shows come with the territory of Smash Bros. speculation. Steve wouldn't be the first, nor the last, nor the biggest.

:rob::4duckhunt::4darkpit::4bayonetta::4corrin::ultincineroar::ultpiranha: all stirred up mass amounts of salt with their reveals. R.O.B. was targeted as the harbinger of disappointment during Brawl speculation, when hopes were at their highest, Duck Hunt Dog and Dark Pit were similarly targeted for being two of the last newcomers for Sm4sh instead of popular speculation picks, Bayonetta "won" the Ballot that many fans placed their dreams in, Corrin took the last DLC spot for purely promotional purposes, Incineroar singlehandedly ended the Grinch hoax and crushed the dreams of countless prominent fanbases, and Piranha Plant began the DLC phase of speculation by giving a big old middle finger to the entire Smash Bros. fanbase, who didn't ask for him at all.

Despite that, you don't see many people besides a vocal minority still hating them; they've all become widely accepted within the speculation community. Steve would also have an internet melted by hype to counterbalance any mass salt, which would be a precious commodity that none of these characters had. I'm not going to rank him, but I'd say he'd be similar to Bayonetta or Piranha Plant, where most people are initially outraged but are eventually won over by the whimsy and charm of the character. Of course, you're always going to have vocal detractors, but who cares about them? Certainly not Nintendo, who's already made millions off of DLC purchases.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
It's E3 2019. Nintendo is at the end of their Direct. Everyone knows a Smash reveal is happening, the anticipation couldn't be greater. The screen goes dark. This starts playing.

Nintendo then proceeds to win E3 with a single trailer for DLC.
nah the hypest reveal is a black screen with slayer's testament playing as doomguy loads his weapons and readies his armor in a dark environment, then as 0:43 hits his tagline bursts onto the screen

D

Deleted member

If anything, while I think Smash is pretty great, it isn't safe from criticism either; remember, that November Direct, even if you take away the whole Grinch Leak, was pretty bad as a whole. While I would be fine with Dragon Quest, if that's going to be the supposed "Brave" character, I wouldn't be surprised to see the reveal garnering another heavily mixed reaction.

With that said, I sincerely hope that Nintendo provides the way to purchase packs individually soon, because I don't think you can at all yet. It's a bit baffling to me that the only way to buy DLC currently is with the Fighters Pass, when they specifically said that was gonna be another method of buying DLC for Ultimate. So while at least if people aren't keen on Dragon Quest, they can pass up on that pack, and look forward to the next pack. Options, y'know?

Though, I do wonder where people are getting Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, Doom Slayer and Steve from Minecraft. If anything, as much as I'd love id Software, I don't even know if it's in Nintendo's interest to have a Bethesda character in Smash, given the current climate. But Ninja Gaiden would actually be something else.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Exactly, Smash is always treated as this product of perfection that’s exempt from criticism and anyone who complains about anything they don’t like is seen as an ungrateful whiner.

I know toxic people exist in this community but come on.

D

Deleted member

If anything, as much as I'd love id Software, I don't even know if it's in Nintendo's interest to have a Bethesda character in Smash, given the current climate.
Because we all know Konami being in contention for the most despised company in the industry stopped Snake and the Belmonts. Besides, negotiations for a Bethesda character, if there even is one, probably would've wrapped up before Fallout 76 hit shelves.

Shroob

Sup?
If anything, while I think Smash is pretty great, it isn't safe from criticism either; remember, that November Direct, even if you take away the whole Grinch Leak, was pretty bad as a whole. While I would be fine with Dragon Quest, if that's going to be the supposed "Brave" character, I wouldn't be surprised to see the reveal garnering another heavily mixed reaction.

With that said, I sincerely hope that Nintendo provides the way to purchase packs individually soon, because I don't think you can at all yet. It's a bit baffling to me that the only way to buy DLC currently is with the Fighters Pass, when they specifically said that was gonna be another method of buying DLC for Ultimate. So while at least if people aren't keen on Dragon Quest, they can pass up on that pack, and look forward to the next pack. Options, y'know?

Though, I do wonder where people are getting Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, Doom Slayer and Steve from Minecraft. If anything, as much as I'd love id Software, I don't even know if it's in Nintendo's interest to have a Bethesda character in Smash, given the current climate. But Ninja Gaiden would actually be something else.
To be fair, if Doom Slayer actually was put it into discussion, it was LONG before the Fallout 76 drama.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm trying to go through all posts made in last night and I learned this:

A certain individual likes DQ8
Another individual likes Digimon
They both won't shut up about it

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It’s a shame there are people who believe that because Paper Mario has so much potential to be a unique fighter.
Yeah, he does, but they are correct about Paper Mario being another Mario since, well, he IS Mario. These more casual fans don't think about things like movesets and moveset potential, they think about character inclusions, they want different characters, not the same character with different moves for the most part.
Rosalina thought of as a Peach clone...and Bowser Jr being a clone of his daddy...how could people think such a thing?
Rosalina looks like Peach..so clearly she'd be a Peach clone.
Bowser Jr. is just Bowser as a Baby, clearly he'd have the same moves but weaker and faster.
This is common in this fandom. People don't think about how a character could be unique, if a character has similar moves in their home series (or even a single similar move) or a similar appearance, clearly they'll be a clone.
During the Brawl days, I recall seeing many people saying that Mega Man would just be a Samus clone due to having a Charge Shot in his home series or that Lucario 'replaced' Mewtwo and was even a Mewtwo clone due to having a similar standard special.
Seriously, some parts of this fandom can be pretty dumb sometimes.
We still don't know what Persona 5 R is, but it isn't a Switch port.

Sorry guys, looks like i'm not becoming a fan anytime soon.
Well, we don't know for sure it isn't coming to Switch yet, just that'll it'll be on PlayStation 4. We'll find out more in March.
Its not uncommon for a game to be announced for only one or two systems and then end up actually coming to more consoles. As an example, Sonic Mania wasn't announced for Switch at first while another game announced at the same time, Sonic Forces, was, but it still ended up releasing on Switch.
I'll never like him, regardless of his moveset. His design is ugly (I don't like the aesthetic of anything in Minecraft, character-wise) and if he's portrayed true to his home series, he'll only have jumping and walking animations and will have a static face.
Having just a Minecraft Stage or something would be much better representation then Steve would..
I say this as someone that does enjoy Minecraft, just not for its 'characters'.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Wait, I was thinking about this... What were the reactions on Ike back in the Brawl days? Were they negative?

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I'm firmly in the "Doom Slayer deserves to be in Smash" camp, and I've technically never even played a Doom game (yet). Not only is Doom an incredibly iconic video game franchise, but its protagonist has a wide variety of weapons to choose from, including a huge amount of weapons ranging from practical to sci-fi in nature, a chainsaw, and a wide variety of CQC techniques. Compared to most FPS protagonists, Doom Slayer is notable for consistently punching in demon's faces, no weapons needed. You've got more weapon variety available than even Snake currently utilizes in Smash, and you get to bring in some kickass potential for a stage and LOTS of iconic music while you're at it. What's not to love?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom