• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

To be fair, if Doom Slayer actually was put it into discussion, it was LONG before the Fallout 76 drama.
Because we all know Konami being in contention for the most despised company in the industry stopped Snake and the Belmonts. Besides, negotiations for a Bethesda character, if there even is one, probably would've wrapped up before Fallout 76 hit shelves.
I'm just hoping that won't be the case, given how some people can sometimes be with connecting dots where there really aren't any to begin with.

That being said? Doom Slayer would be legitimately insane. Believe it or not, Japan to a very certain degree knows about DOOM, but through various means. Though, I really hope to Christ that the music development team doesn't **** up with DOOM music.

There are quite a few omissions I could list out in Smash Ultimate's current music roster, but the moment you don't include Mick Gordon's music? Now we have a problem.

LetterO

Smash Lord
At this point I hope all the DLC trailers go the same path of not starting with the iconic slashes at the beginning. K. Rool's trailer did that, Isabelle's did that, and Piranha Plant's did that. I just want something Doom related to pop up and for us to go "oh just doom eternal" then all of a sudden Ridley shows up or something.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Nah not :ultduckhunt:.

He was one of the best inclusions in Smash yet.
You definitely wouldn't think that when he was revealed.
If anything, while I think Smash is pretty great, it isn't safe from criticism either; remember, that November Direct, even if you take away the whole Grinch Leak, was pretty bad as a whole. While I would be fine with Dragon Quest, if that's going to be the supposed "Brave" character, I wouldn't be surprised to see the reveal garnering another heavily mixed reaction.

With that said, I sincerely hope that Nintendo provides the way to purchase packs individually soon, because I don't think you can at all yet. It's a bit baffling to me that the only way to buy DLC currently is with the Fighters Pass, when they specifically said that was gonna be another method of buying DLC for Ultimate. So while at least if people aren't keen on Dragon Quest, they can pass up on that pack, and look forward to the next pack. Options, y'know?

Though, I do wonder where people are getting Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, Doom Slayer and Steve from Minecraft. If anything, as much as I'd love id Software, I don't even know if it's in Nintendo's interest to have a Bethesda character in Smash, given the current climate. But Ninja Gaiden would actually be something else.
The option to buy the a Fighter Pack individually will become available when, you know, the Fighter Pack itself becomes available. There's little reason to individually list them before they're released.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
At this point I hope all the DLC trailers go the same path of not starting with the iconic slashes at the beginning. K. Rool's trailer did that, Isabelle's did that, and Piranha Plant's did that. I just want something Doom related to pop up and for us to go "oh just doom eternal" then all of a sudden Ridley shows up or something.
I think it worked so well for TGA/Joker just because we couldn't be sure we were getting a Smash trailer, though. If I see an inconspicuous Doom Eternal trailer start playing in a Direct the first thing my mind is going to now is "ah yes Smash".

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Actually, "Brave" is the third-slowest character (after Incineroar and Piranha Plant) and is decently heavy, though not really extremely heavy or anything, but that probably reduces the chances that it's Sora or a Bravely Default character, maybe not Yuri either. Robin is really slow too, so maybe it could still be someone like that, but I'm not sure.
Wait, third-slowest? Isn't Brave's run speed value 1.74? That would put them just slower than Young Link. Is there a different list of character parameters I'm not aware of?

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Wait, I was thinking about this... What were the reactions on Ike back in the Brawl days? Were they negative?
People liked Ike but were annoyed that Roy was gone.
Granted, I was on the official Sega forums and kept seeing holdovers from the 90s Console Wars complaining that Sonic the Hedgehog was in Super Smash Bros. because of them not wanting Sonic on Nintendo consoles and complaining that this would keep Sega from returning to the console business...which, c'mon, its never going to happen..they make more profit from being a 3rd Party developer..

This whole outrage culture is a more current era thing though and its hilarious to me because its still just people thinking so-and-so is keeping out their 'legitimate' characters or claiming characters aren't Nintendo characters due to being 'anime' while also claiming that Zelda characters, the Mario Princesses, Captain Falcon, and Samus somehow aren't 'anime' despite having similar art directions (though I guess Capt. Falcon could be argued as a more 'comic book' type character).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wait, I was thinking about this... What were the reactions on Ike back in the Brawl days? Were they negative?
Dunno about anyone else, but I loved Ike.
I believe I played FE7, then 9 afterwards so he was my big favorite going into Brawl.

Of course playing him was kinda slow though so I just mained Marth in that game.
Speaking of FE7, still waiting on Lyn Sakurai.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
so did we ever actually find out where this model came from or

View attachment 185536
From the same dude that has been making dozens of fake Agnes leaks most likely.

I admire the dedication to his craft but man...
I'm just disappointed that he didn't use this to support but to generate fake leaks to "encourage discussion" or whatever.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You definitely wouldn't think that when he was revealed.

The option to buy the a Fighter Pack individually will become available when, you know, the Fighter Pack itself becomes available. There's little reason to individually list them before they're released.
Nope, wrong again. He was one of my personal wanted characters for Smash and my token WTF pick.

Granted, he didn’t turn exactly the way I wanted being four-legged, gimmicky and all but still.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
While I am someone that thinks Steve is ugly as all sin and would easily be the ugliest character in the game, I do trust Sakurai and his team to find a way to make him not stand out so much if he is in since after they found a way to make characters like Bayonetta and Snake not stand out so much.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Wait, third-slowest? Isn't Brave's run speed value 1.74? That would put them just slower than Young Link. Is there a different list of character parameters I'm not aware of?
Oh nevermind you are right, I was looking at it wrong, and I was also looking at walk speed. Brave isn't that slow at all really, so they're probably not in full armor, they actually seem pretty balanced. They're still heavier than a lot of characters, but around the same range as Link and Captain Falcon, so not anything too crazy. It could still really be anyone I guess.

However, I checked the word used for the "Hero" class in Dragon Quest which is "Yuusha" and it looks like it can translate to "brave" in some contexts, like here. It's not proof but it's something.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I really hope Erdrick looks like and not
As long as I can play as female Erdrick/Loto, I don't care. Granted, its possible that Sakurai will pull a Richter and fuse both both designs into a new original design just for Super Smash Bros.

Though another good way of going about this could be to have male Erdrick use the original design as his basis and the female Erdrick use the above design as her basis, just fudge their proportions to fit together, this would let female Erdrick stand out more due to the yellow under clothing while male Erdrick would have white underclothing and a different cape colour in their defaults.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Since I got Dragon Quest's 11 for Christmas I have obviously been playing some of it and if Erdrick fights like the protagonist of 11 does I can see him being a fun character if they throw magic into the mix like have it be his specials. He could end up playing as a nice mix of Link and Robin.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
From the same dude that has been making dozens of fake Agnes leaks most likely.

I admire the dedication to his craft but man...
I'm just disappointed that he didn't use this to support but to generate fake leaks to "encourage discussion" or whatever.
doubly a shame since it looks like a pretty happy medium for smash/switch graphics between the 3DS chibi artstyle and the slightly-creepy CG artstyle they used in the first game

e.jpg

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
doubly a shame since it looks like a pretty happy medium for smash/switch graphics between the 3DS chibi artstyle and the slightly-creepy CG artstyle they used in the first game

View attachment 185539
I wish we really had an HD render because clearly he knows what he's doing somewhat.
It'd be far more appreciated if we could see it clearly than through the lens of a fake leak.

That said, Tiz 4 Lyfe.
I love my precious country bumpkin boy.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If the DLC list is real, then I really only have one major beef with the DLC: it's all third parties. I mean, I understand that third parties are the absolute hype bringers, and all of em have more than earned their spot on Smash's roster, but still, I'd really like to see what more we can pull from the Nintendo barrel. 5 new third party IPs on top of all the ones we already have is just overkill to me.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If the entire fighter pass turns out to be nothing but third parties, I have a feeling that if we do get a second fighter pass that one would be nothing but first party characters.

D

Deleted member

I dunno why you guys giving that leak any thought but eh.
Doomslayer would be cool and probably kill the "no firearms" rule once and for all ubtil people do mental gymnastics to say his shotgun isn't realostic.
Ryu would be my third and last hope of being able to play as a Ninja character
And Stever would be the true hype becuse yeah boy, terraformer!!

D

Deleted member

I recently woke up.

Last night was crazy for sure.
And no, i didn’t cry as i said when i went to sleep, i was exaggerating a bit.

Anyways, my thoughts about the picks on the leak:

->Joker: great Atlus rep. Comes with dope music and a moveset potential, maybe guns too.

->Erdrick: it isn’t Eight, but i am fine with him too. Looking forward for the DQ stage.

->Doomslayer: is Doomguy. Unless your name is Dwayne Johnson or “The Rock”, you can’t go wrong with him easily.

->Ryu Hayabusa: about time that he made it in. Koei has been present on Nintendo since the NES era, and he is a perfect character to include.

->Steve: i like Minecraft, maybe i don’t care much about the avatar. But i am hyped for the possible stage that he would come with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I recently woke up.

Last night was crazy for sure.
And no, i didn’t cry as i said when i went to sleep, i was exaggerating a bit.

Anyways, my thoughts about the picks on the leak:

->Joker: great Atlus rep. Comes with dope music and a moveset potential, maybe guns too.

->Erdrick: it isn’t Eight, but i am fine with him too. Looking forward for the DQ stage.

->Doomslayer: is Doomguy. Unless your name is Dwayne Johnson or “The Rock”, you can’t go wrong with him easily.

->Ryu Hayabusa: about time that he made it in. Koei has been present on Nintendo since the NES era, and he is a perfect character to include.

->Steve: i like Minecraft, maybe i don’t care much about the avatar. But i am hyped for the possible stage that he would come with.
Which leak are talking about now?

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a bit of attempts to understand Japanese in here, and I feel like for future reference, I should point everyone to Jisho. As an actual Japanese learner, it's come in handy time and time again. You can search both Japanese and English words, specific kanji, etc. You need to understand hiragana and katakana (which only takes ~a month to learn, and is a massively useful skill to have, so I encourage you all to do it anyway) to be able to read the pronunciations, but besides that, it's totally English friendly.

(And yes, 勇者 refers to both hero and brave, as nouns.)

D

Deleted member

I've seen a bit of attempts to understand Japanese in here, and I feel like for future reference, I should point everyone to Jisho. As an actual Japanese learner, it's come in handy time and time again. You can search both Japanese and English words, specific kanji, etc. You need to understand hiragana and katakana (which only takes ~a month to learn, and is a massively useful skill to have, so I encourage you all to do it anyway) to be able to read the pronunciations, but besides that, it's totally English friendly.

(And yes, 勇者 refers to both hero and brave, as nouns.)
The clues point to Erdrick... But also to Hero/Eight.

I hope that the official news can end the rollercoaster of emotions that i am riding at the moment.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I hope that the official news can end the rollercoaster of emotions that i am riding at the moment.
I don't think it does. I don't know why you'd think it points to Eight in any way or why you tied him with Hero.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Is there any specific reasons why they would pick Eight over any other heroes?

Like, I'd like to get Persona 3 Hero, but I knew Persona 5 Hero was the most likely one, since his game is more recent and a lot more successful.

D

Deleted member

I don't think it does. I don't know why you'd think it points to Eight in any way or why you tied him with Hero.
The character is also known as Hero, with DQ8 having it as his default name if you don’t choose one.

The name of Eight became more common after the trailer for the mobile port of DQ8.

D

Deleted member

Is there any specific reasons why they would pick Eight over any other heroes?

Like, I'd like to get Persona 3 Hero, but I knew Persona 5 Hero was the most likely one, since his game is more recent and a lot more successful.
I heard somewhere that DQ8 was kind of popular in the West. Maybe not like KH, but still more prominent than the other DQ games at the time.

Because of that, he could be a character that fits better on the Western market.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
on the one hand, i can hope for a BD rep and get a BD rep

on the other hand, i can hope for erdrick and take a step closer to the utter insanity that is doomguy

decisions, decisions

osby

Smash Obsessed
I heard somewhere that DQ8 was kind of popular in the West. Maybe not like KH, but still more prominent than the other DQ games at the time.

Because of that, he could be a character that fits better on the Western market.
You know "I heard it from somewhere" means absolutely nothing, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom