• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You know "I heard it from somewhere" means absolutely nothing, right?
Completely untrue.
My uncle, who works at Nintendo, says that all the time.
(No offence @JDCabrera , your point is still valid. :))

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I am completely fine with the characters on the leak.

We’ll see what happens to the DQ rep, but the other characters listed are pretty dope.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Kind of liking this rumor. Don’t really care for Joker and Erdrick, but Doom on PS4 was awesome, and Ninja Gaiden on NES is cool. Steve is insanely hype for me - I wanted him back in April 2018, and I’m not on the bandwagon. It’s sad to see all of the hate he gets, but it’s understandable. Minecraft can be a meme sometimes, depending on what you’re doing with it. It would be hilariously sad if Banjo and/or Master Chief are skins. Regardless, the game is a household name. It’s like this century’s Super Mario Bros. (so far). It has the recognizability of Tetris, but with obvious, tangible playable character potential. I look forward to his inclusion, if real.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I really hope Erdrick looks like and not
I kinda dig the design of Erdrick's Sword and Shield, which have alternate names in Final Fantasy lore. They're not depicted in the art here, but it makes me wonder if they'll give him/her their vanilla kit or those cool weapon variants. I've seen them with that kit without the armor, so I don't think the latter is an issue.

Can't wait for all of the Erdrick Blanco memes to come up.

If the entire fighter pass turns out to be nothing but third parties, I have a feeling that if we do get a second fighter pass that one would be nothing but first party characters.
Man, I wish, but with so many Assist Trophies of fan favorites, it's kinda difficult. I'd love to have Rex & Pyra, but I dunno how stubborn Sakurai is to just call it off. Especially considering how we're getting Joker now, and Rex's ability to utilize his Blades in combat is like the Xeno-counterpart to how familiar-summoning works in the Persona franchise.

I'm in the area where we should have at least 3 Fighter's Passes given how long the Switch is supposed to last. 15+ DLC should be enough content to keep the game alive for many years to come, and if you count Piranha Plant, that's 16 characters with potentially 8 3rd-party and 8 1st-party.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
*bets real ToasterDollars that a DQ character is not making it in despite me wanting one really badly*

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
The last time I saw the thread this alive was during the Grinch Leak Saga. Man, you guys filled up pages while I was asleep.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Man, I wish, but with so many Assist Trophies of fan favorites, it's kinda difficult. I'd love to have Rex & Pyra, but I dunno how stubborn Sakurai is to just call it off. Especially considering how we're getting Joker now, and Rex's ability to utilize his Blades in combat is like the Xeno-counterpart to how familiar-summoning works in the Persona franchise.
This is like saying we won't get Ryu or Cloud because we already got Little Mac and Shulk. It doesn't make much sense from a design point.

Also I don't think Blades and Personas are that similar.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Also: "Character restrictions" / fan rules are a real bad thing to use to try and guess anything when their goal is basically to give people whiplash with every reveal.

Besides the whole "they should originate from a game" and "no waluigi :troll:" /s rules, anyway

I'll take my ToasterDollars Texas style, pleaae.
I think everyone is jumping the gun a bit, but I mean if one does happen I'll be glad to give you some Texas ToasterDollars.
They're pretty buttery.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Joker (Persona 5): Love Persona 5. I was ecstatic when he was announced and I can't wait for him.
Erdrick (Dragon Quest): Never played a Dragon Quest game so this will be my first impression of him if he makes it. Let's see how it goes.
Doomslayer (DOOM): The new Doom was one of the better games of 2016 so it will be awesome seeing him here if he does make it.
Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden): About damn time! One of the last remaining classic NES franchises yet to be represented here.
Steve (Minecraft): The only one I will be disappointed with if announced. Never liked Minecraft, never will and him being here won't change that (if anything it will make it worse). Will be the only one I won't buy if true and I hope it isn't true.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
This is like saying we won't get Ryu or Cloud because we already got Little Mac and Shulk. It doesn't make much sense from a design point.

Also I don't think Blades and Personas are that similar.
I never said we aren't getting Rex & Pyra because of Joker's presence. I tried to phrase it in a way where NOT having Rex & Pyra is a missed opportunity now that Joker is arriving. I want both parties playable.

My fear is Sakurai being dead-set on keeping Rex a Mii Outfit even if the opportunity to include him as a DLC choice in the future is there for the taking. I don't want him to commit to something unnecessary and never recover from it, like pre-Ultimate Zelda being helpless in the air after using Din's Fire for no reason.

D

Deleted member

Joker (Persona 5): Love Persona 5. I was ecstatic when he was announced and I can't wait for him.
Erdrick (Dragon Quest): Never played a Dragon Quest game so this will be my first impression of him if he makes it. Let's see how it goes.
Doomslayer (DOOM): The new Doom was one of the better games of 2016 so it will be awesome seeing him here if he does make it.
Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden): About damn time! One of the last remaining classic NES franchises yet to be represented here.
Steve (Minecraft): The only one I will be disappointed with if announced. Never liked Minecraft, never will and him being here won't change that (if anything it will make it worse). Will be the only one I won't buy if true and I hope it isn't true.
If you find the 3DS port of DQ8 somewhere, i would completely suggest it to you.

Solid and fantastic game.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
. . How many ToasterDollars?
About 8, which is about a whole box.
I made a visual aid but SmashBoards is broken right now.

me too thanks

grumbles in mrgrgr
I am 99% confident in this.

That's partially because it's more hilarious the harder I fall on my face (going all in on my speculation is fun for me because it makes getting right AND getting wrong hilarious to me), but also because I have one of those "gut feelings" I've been known to have :p

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never said we aren't getting Rex & Pyra because of Joker's presence. I tried to phrase it in a way where NOT having Rex & Pyra is a missed opportunity now that Joker is arriving. I want both parties playable.

My fear is Sakurai being dead-set on keeping Rex a Mii Outfit even if the opportunity to include him as a DLC choice in the future is there for the taking. I don't want him to commit to something unnecessary and never recover from it, like pre-Ultimate Zelda being helpless in the air after using Din's Fire for no reason.
Okay, now I get it.

Even then, doesn't Chrom have a Mii costume? I doubt they represent any sort of commitment.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
If the DLC stuff is true then I'll be slightly disappointed, but I'll buy it nonetheless. I mainly play Nintendo games, with a few exceptions like Rayman or Sonic. I never played Persona, Dragon Quest, Minecraft, DOOM or Ninja Gaiden. But I am too much of a completionist and maybe this game will bring me to those franchises.

D

Deleted member

About 8, which is about a whole box.
I made a visual aid but SmashBoards is broken right now.
That’s an offer I cannot refuse, I’m in (on your side).
I bet my empty Nutella tub.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I want to make an official headcount for the bets somewhere...
put me down for 'would never put money on a DQ rep even if all quantifiable evidence pointed towards it because doing so would be to admit defeat and he would like to delude himself for 2 more months'

D

Deleted member

If the DLC stuff is true then I'll be slightly disappointed, but I'll buy it nonetheless. I mainly play Nintendo games, with a few exceptions like Rayman or Sonic. I never played Persona, Dragon Quest, Minecraft, DOOM or Ninja Gaiden. But I am too much of a completionist and maybe this game will bring me to those franchises.
While i haven’t played a Ninja Gaiden or Death or Alive game, i can give you suggestions for the other franchises in the pass if you want to try the games:

>Doom: 2016, the Brutal Doom hack for the first game of the franchise, Doom 64, Doom 3 and Quake 3.
>Dragon Quest: DQ8, DQ11, DQ Builders and DQIII.
>Persona: Persona 4, Persona 5 and Persona Q.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Okay, now I get it.

Even then, doesn't Chrom have a Mii costume? I doubt they represent any sort of commitment.
Chrom has an outfit, yes, but take a moment to consider the first time he ever had the outfit. Back in Smash for Wii U/3DS, he was present in Robin's Final Smash, then got an outfit in the DLC line-up. It took a sequel for him to be playable, which is where he is now. Compare him to Rex, whose Mii Outfit debuted before any playable appearance, and the same can be applied for many non-playable vs. playable characters with Mii Outfits. It all correlates.

The circumstances behind Rex's Mii Outfit is a bit different from the norm though. Sakurai gave a reason as to why Rex couldn't make it into the roster, be it base or DLC, so the outfit is a consolation prize. However, it's possible that Sakurai may revisit Rex's concept and include him should there be more DLC beyond the Fighter's Pass, if only because the dust will settle by then. It's either he commits to giving Rex the Isaac treatment, or throws another bone to the Xenoblade 2 fanbase.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Chrom has an outfit, yes, but take a moment to consider the first time he ever had the outfit. Back in Smash for Wii U/3DS, he was present in Robin's Final Smash, then got an outfit in the DLC line-up. It took a sequel for him to be playable, which is where he is now. Compare him to Rex, whose Mii Outfit debuted before any playable appearance, and the same can be applied for many non-playable vs. playable characters with Mii Outfits. It all correlates.

The circumstances behind Rex's Mii Outfit is a bit different from the norm though. Sakurai gave a reason as to why Rex couldn't make it into the roster, be it base or DLC, so the outfit is a consolation prize. However, it's possible that Sakurai may revisit Rex's concept and include him should there be more DLC beyond the Fighter's Pass, if only because the dust will settle by then. It's either he commits to giving Rex the Isaac treatment, or throws another bone to the Xenoblade 2 fanbase.
the only viable XC2 rep is mor ardainian soldier tbh

YER DONE

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
put me down for 'would never put money on a DQ rep even if all quantifiable evidence pointed towards it because doing so would be to admit defeat and he would like to delude himself for 2 more months'
That’s an offer I cannot refuse, I’m in (on your side).
I bet my empty Nutella tub.
Welcome to the team, soldiers.
Team "ToasterBrains is Always Approximately Correct" is growing day by day...

what stuff can I buy with these ToasterDollars?
There's plenty of stuff to buy in the ToasterBrains gift shop.
T-shirts, mugs, deeds to various estates of rich people who were just recently alive, etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

YER DONE
This sounds like something made by Grant Kirkhope alongside Kojima on a night of party.

It just needs a “La Li Lu Le Lo” or “Kept ya waiting, huh?” at the end.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

YER DONE
As an Assist Trophy maybe. Ugh, it would have been great if Padraig and his army could be summoned by Isabelle's jank fishing rod.

EDIT:
I might have commissioned Padraig in the last Smash. I'll probably do it again for Ultimate later down the line, but over Snake this time.
Mind the game name. That was my friend's fault, lmao. The CSPs were also inaccurate at the time because I was running a beta version of Padraig before his render was done, so I had him placed over other mods I had in the mean time.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd love for the leak to be real, I don't really care for Steve (although I can still accept him), but I'd absolutely love Doomguy and especially Ryu Hayabusa, while Erdrick seems like he could be really cool too. Hopefully with Erdrick and Hayabusa we'd get the oldschool designs, or with the latter at least an option between new and old.

It'd be a bit of a bummer to not get a single Nintendo character from it, but I'd still like it a lot more than Smash 4's DLC. The only issue is that I'd be a bit nervous when the next Smash rolls as it'd be incredibly difficult to juggle that many IPs at once, so cuts would seem inevitable, but that's a worry for another time.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Are these ToasterDollars edible? Asking for a friend here.
They're not only edible, they're delicious.
Unlike other kinds of dollars.

I don't really care for Steve (although I can still accept him), but I'd absolutely love Doomguy and especially Ryu Hayabusa
honestly at this point i would love all three of them, but i am still betting against the leak being real

i never played NG or Doom really but I've watched a playthrough of the newer doom and I know enough about NG.

Also I really like Minecraft. Not steve in particular, but I mean I can get over how weird it would be to me to see MC in Smash and learn to love it more.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Which posts? The ones excited for the leak? Or the ones who are hoping it's fake and have other characters in mind?
I’m guessing the posts that say that Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, DoomGuy and Steve are guaranteed to be the DLC fighters other than Joker who is confirmed.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Which posts? The ones excited for the leak? Or the ones who are hoping it's fake and have other characters in mind?
I probably read wrong because Im ****ty in the morning without my coffee but post that already assume the doom dude are 100% in the game

again unless I read something wrong, in that case, my b
I’m guessing the posts that say that Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, DoomGuy and Steve are guaranteed to be the DLC fighters other than Joker who is confirmed.
yeah, there it is
thats what I meant
I just dont want to see many manybsad peeps because they didnt keep their expectations in check

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So... I have no familiarity with Doomguy so it might be a weird question but what's his personality like? I tried to get a grip on the character from Eternal gameplay but all I got is he likes to shove dangerous objects into demons' oral cavity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom