• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh hey! We're talkin' about Midna and Zelda up in here?

I'm in.

D

Deleted member

I seriously want to see Steve in mostly for the Minecraft stage.

I would love to see him just for a cool morphing stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

*Whenever Steve gets brought up and makes everyone mad but you unironically have him in your top 3 wishlist*

View attachment 185346

IDK whether I'd come here to celebrate or go in a bunker after the reveal, TBH.
honestly I really don't get the hate for Steve, he's a perfectly good choice tbh and one of the few likely MS reps.

Seems like most of the people who won't entertain the very idea of Steve in Smash want a different MS rep like Banjo or Chief

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I know Minecraft is a big part of the gaming industry but I really can’t imagine that out of all Western 3rd Parties that they would pick for the first time.

It would be Steve...Japan probably don’t even know who he is as a character.

Pakky

Smash Hero
*Whenever Steve gets brought up and makes everyone mad but you unironically have him in your top 3 wishlist*

View attachment 185346

IDK whether I'd come here to celebrate or go in a bunker after the reveal, TBH.
He's in my top ten because half of me wants to see a trash fire turn around

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm in.
ok so now that everyone is here let me begin my talk on why midna belongs with link more then any other character is twilight princess. in this essay i will

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I know Minecraft is a big part of the gaming industry but I really can’t imagine that out of all Western 3rd Parties that they would pick for the first time.

It would be Steve...Japan probably don’t even know who he is as a character.
Japan most certainly knows what Minecraft is, and "big part of the gaming industry" is underselling it. The only game in history to sell more than Minecraft is ****ing Tetris.

I don't want Steve, but let's not make untrue assumptions about the game he's from.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Could be the Infinite jab of scale tippings
Scale tipping!?.. the green slicer you mean?
...yeeeeeah, I hammered that challenge. I’m not good enough with Robin to be able to do that, and I wanted to get all of the music.

At this point, I only need to get the “beat a L9” challenges, which I’ll get eventually with Link or Zelda, and the “KO with three meteors” one which I have no clue for (anybody got tips for someone who’s not really good at this?). And the “Beat the last boss without getting KOd,” but I may have to set it to easy to just get that. I’ve still got 7 hammers, and I’ll probably just go nuts on the online table once I’m done since I don’t play online.
Hammer, that's the short answer.
KO with meteor, is that you need to KO 3 L9s with a meteor move (Dr.Mario's down smash in air for example).
Beat the final round without being KOd, is that you need to fight Galeem and Dharkon together in the final round/stage without being KOd. There're 3 rounds in that fight. Fighting characters, fighting bosses and then fighting G&D. They mean the G&D one.

Edit: I too have zero unlocks on the online board. Still not convinced to go Nintendo online.. though if Goemon got in I'll subscribe to whatever they want :)
Maybe I'll do it someday. But hey, you don't need to go nuts.. there's a guy aiming to be the worst Smash player XD .. that was original and funny. You can compete there ;)
It's Robin's jab. You also need to do it in a timed battle or else it won't work.
TIIIIIME!.. hmm, thank you. I'll try that. (They didn't specify it has to be a timed battle though :/)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ugh the only challenge I have left is the "win in all the battles" one.

...this'll take a while

D

Deleted member

I'm in.
I'm always down to talk about the best Zelda character.

tumblr_nccruoaHSC1runiejo2_500.gif

Don't get me wrong, I adore Majora's Mask, but Midna is probably one of the best written, most developed character in the Zelda franchise IMO. Her story is a huge reason why I like TP as much as, if not even a little more depending on my mood, than BotW.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Japan most certainly knows what Minecraft is, and "big part of the gaming industry" is underselling it. The only game in history to sell more than Minecraft is ****ing Tetris.

I don't want Steve, but let's not make untrue assumptions about the game he's from.
And Tetris's sales are counted from every version of the game ever released, including 2018's Tetris Effect, so it's an unfair comparison to make in the first place.

I can perfectly understand the myriad reasons people don't want Steve, but to question why Sakurai might look to represent literally the most popular video game of all time in a celebration of video games is in itself questionable.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm always down to talk about the best Zelda character.

View attachment 185347

Don't get me wrong, I adore Majora's Mask, but Midna is probably one of the best written, most developed character in the Zelda franchise IMO. Her story is a huge reason why I like TP as much as, if not even a little more depending on my mood, than BotW.
Hot take.

Midna and her realm over Urbosa and Skyloft…

Man Skyward is weird. Urbosa is the best in BOTW but she's dead so.... eh?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Minecraft is as valid as any other franchise to enter Smash.
It works as the first western third party franchise with fighters too.

And while i don’t care so much about Steve, i would for sure buy him if we get a dope stage.

Iridium

Smash Hero
ugh the only challenge I have left is the "win in all the battles" one.

...this'll take a while
Just reading the guide, and is there really a challenge that requires a battle with 8 human players? If so, sure, hammers are available, but what a jab at me...

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And Tetris's sales are counted from every version of the game ever released, including 2018's Tetris Effect, so it's an unfair comparison to make in the first place.

I can perfectly understand the myriad reasons people don't want Steve, but to question why Sakurai might look to represent literally the most popular video game of all time in a celebration of video games is in itself questionable.

And everything I've wanted said on the topic has been said. Time to clock out.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319

Steve as a character, not Minecraft itself.

Of course Japan know what it is, who the hell doesn’t?

D

Deleted member

Seeing as how he's on the box art, logo, and everything related to the game with Alex I'd say they're both pretty well recognized.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
curious, how much has DQB 1 and 2 sold in comparison to minecraft in japan
I don't know about direct comparisons, but Minecraft was the best selling Nintendo Switch game for the entire first half of 2018. And that was like the umpteenth version of the damn game.

Okay, uh. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. If they know what Minecraft is, how would they not know who Steve is?

I mean, the likeness is subtle, but I'm pretty sure anyone looking at him knows he's from Minecraft.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I don't know about direct comparisons, but Minecraft was the best selling Nintendo Switch game for the entire first half of 2018. And that was like the umpteenth version of the damn game.
there's also the fact that, almost 8 years on from its full out-of-beta release (and approaching an entire decade from its first alpha release), minecraft hasn't left the eshop's top 5 best sellers once

to say it's got sticking power on pretty much every platform it's been released on would be a gross understatement

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Okay, uh. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. If they know what Minecraft is, how would they not know who Steve is?

I mean, the likeness is subtle, but I'm pretty sure anyone looking at him knows he's from Minecraft.
you can know what a game is and not know diddly **** about the characters

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
there's also the fact that, almost 8 years on from its full out-of-beta release (and approaching an entire decade from its first alpha release), minecraft hasn't left the eshop's top 5 best sellers once

to say it's got sticking power on pretty much every platform it's been released on would be a gross understatement
Another fun fact I just discovered:

Even with Fortnite seemingly taking over the young casual gamer demographic, Minecraft still averages 91 million active users a month as of September 2018.

That's ****ing insane for a game that's been around since 2009.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hot take.

Midna and her realm over Urbosa and Skyloft…

Man Skyward is weird. Urbosa is the best in BOTW but she's dead so.... eh?
...ooor we could get Midna and Urbosa...

Heck, if we got that, I would be infinitely satisfied with Zelda representation forever, even if they reworked Ganondorf into a straight up Peach echo.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
All these "leaks" are sticking to Steve literally because vergeben said something last summer. Vergeben has a really good track record and that's the only thing he got wrong, so all these fake leakers are just putting steve in as a safe bet. It is clear to me that verge was either given wrong information or that minecraft content was cut entirely, because I don't believe he knew about DLC info that far back(besides the fact that he knew there would be DLC).

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
hey, headsup!! (this might be US only not sure still worth checking imo)

Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, Octopath Traveler, ARMS and Hyrule Warriors are all $42 at Target and GameStop

Target has physical copies while GameStop has digital

Thought this might help anyone interested in these games

D

Deleted member

Just reading the guide, and is there really a challenge that requires a battle with 8 human players? If so, sure, hammers are available, but what a jab at me...
no, there is a challenge that requires you to run a tourney with a human winner but I just used 16 CPUs and myself

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Another fun fact I just discovered:

Even with Fortnite seemingly taking over the young casual gamer demographic, Minecraft still averages 91 million active users a month as of September 2018.

That's ****ing insane for a game that's been around since 2009.
folks have a tendency to think Minecraft isn't relevant anymore, but it's simply not the case. just because Fortnite's in the spotlight right now doesn't mean kids only have the capacity to play one game - and Minecraft's emphasis on cooperative building gels more with the parents of younger kids anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom