• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
what would an okami stage be

i'd want the haunted ship but they'd probably just go with the starting village because they're lazy its more iconic

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
what would an okami stage be

i'd want the haunted ship but they'd probably just go with the starting village because they're lazy its more iconic
I can’t say much about Okami, but this is a theme we’ve seen. Most games have the World 1-1 as a stage to a fault - you end up with too many similar stages (Sonic) and/or not enough boss stages (Mario).

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I can’t say much about Okami, but this is a theme we’ve seen. Most games have the World 1-1 as a stage to a fault - you end up with too many similar stages (Sonic) and/or not enough boss stages (Mario).
okami has a lot of unique locations and going with the generic (but still very pretty) starting area would be the worst choice

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
maybe i'm lucky but i've never actually met anyone who has ever done this
I remember way back in 2000-2001 when my siblings would play OoT, my sister called Link "Zelda" when we first started playing.

Aside from that, everyone i've seen always knows to call Link by his actual name. Like i've pretty much never seen him called Zelda aside from what I mentioned above.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Lowkey, if Lara Croft wore a baseball cap she's be a Pokémon trainer.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
A penny..
I won't compare Tetris sales with Minecraft (The straw MC fans hangging on). I really don't see MC sales proving a thing. It's a modern sale that used modern advertising methods to reach more people than it would've been possible Tetris days... people who became interested in gaming because of games like Tetris. To me Tetris is a legend, a pillar of gaming, something that was there and helped built the foundation of games interest.. MC sales are a cheque in MS account, doesn't prove establishment to me.
That concept of "it sold good.. then it's better than" brings out how truly superficial the game is.

osby

Smash Obsessed
A penny..
I won't compare Tetris sales with Minecraft (The straw MC fans hangging on). I really don't see MC sales proving a thing. It's a modern sale that used modern advertising methods to reach more people than it would've been possible Tetris days... people who became interested in gaming because of games like Tetris. To me Tetris is a legend, a pillar of gaming, something that was there and helped built the foundation of games interest.. MC sales are a cheque in MS account, doesn't prove establishment to me.
That concept of "it sold good.. then it's better than" brings out how truly superficial the game is.
Even if you ignore that it's an awfully emotional way of thinking... by your logic, Tetris is the most superficial game of all times.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Even if you ignore that it's an awfully emotional way of thinking... by your logic, Tetris is the most superficial game of all times.
Quick to jump, slow on...
Well, I don't think I need to type that.

D

Deleted member

I know that we are talking about Minecraft's sales and active users.

But i am curious about this: has Roblox decreased in popularity?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Quick to jump, slow on...
Well, I don't think I need to type that.
"I like Tetris so its sales prove how good it is, I don't like Minecraft so its sales prove nothing." Was that what you were going to type?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
A penny..
>the success of an indie game initially made by one guy that rose to prominence through nothing but word of mouth over the course of nearly 5 years before MS bought it up in 2014 is just the product of soulless corporate marketing

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wendy’s mains :ultcloud::ultincineroar::ultchrom::ultyounglink: and for some reason that shocks me...likely due to the lack of :ultfalcon::ultkingdedede:

D

Deleted member

Is Roblox as popular as it used to be?

Nothing against the game, i am just curious.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
A penny..
Here's the thing....
Like Tetris, people have become interested in gaming thanks to Minecraft. Kids these days, likely got into gaming, through Minecraft.
I don't see how your argument works,

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
A penny..
So, just to give my two cents in response.

Saying that Tetris got people interested in gaming as a contrast to Minecraft, as if Minecraft didn't do the exact same thing for another generation, is disingenuous. Further, while you're absolutely right that Minecraft was sold in an era where far more people had access to and interest in video games, you forego two very important facts that counter that point: 1) It has significantly more competition for the spotlight than Tetris did in 1984, and 2) it still outsold all of said competition. By an incredibly large margin.

While sales don't necessarily indicate how good a game is, they do indicate its popularity and, in combination with pop culture presence and overall staying power, can be used to judge its cultural influence. Minecraft has nine times the active player base per month right now, ten years post-release, than the total amount of The Legend of Zelda games sold all time. Microsoft purchased the rights to Minecraft for more money than Disney bought Star Wars. Minecraft has its very own international convention. Just for Minecraft. By itself.

If none of this "proves establishment", I have no idea what possibly could.

Signed,

Someone Who Has Never Had Interest In Playing Minecraft

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Here's the thing....
Like Tetris, people have become interested in gaming thanks to Minecraft. Kids these days, likely got into gaming, through Minecraft.
I don't see how your argument works,
Well, then let's wait 20 more years to compare MC sales to whatever will be the "sold better than MC" game.

Iridium

Smash Hero
If Steve gets in, Sakurai better do what he did with :ultdarksamus: and give him an unnecessary close up on his face while he stares lifelessly at us for a victory animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom