• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Sakurai said no because she was a researcher, not a fighter.

:ultisabelle: does that make him a hypocrite? :ultisabelle:
I'm sure he just needed an excuse to have the Zelda crew in different outfits. But I also really wasn't a fan of how whiny BotW Zelda was for pretty well most of the game.
mostly because she gets in the way of my Link/Midna shippin'
Well, one of the best things about TP Zelda is that she doesn't really have any romance with Link whatsoever. The one who needs to get out of the picture for that is Ilia, and I don't really think anyone likes her that much.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't think Link necessarily needs to end up being part of the royal line. He could still be a knight and be in the "oops i've been ganon'd" role. At least, that's what I'd like.

Not that the game's Link incarnation being a member of the Hyrule royal line wouldn't be cool, but I think Zelda by lore requirement has to be descendant of the royal family. Link can be just some dude with the Soul of the Hero.

I mean that's just me and my interpretation though, i would play it regardless and it's not really that important
There is something to be said about a revived Ganon saying, "Hey, wait a minute. Zelda is surrounded by an entire kingdom's worth of protection and Link is just a little boy in the woods. Why don't I steal the triforce of courage first instead this time?"

An alternate story where Zelda, the wise one, realizes what's happening and has to fight to save Link or Ganon will summon the power he needs to destroy her kingdom.

D

Deleted member

I think they should go this way for the next Zelda game - character choice at the beginning, and the one you don't choose ends up being the prince/ss of Hyrule. Pokémon's done that with the rivals for ages.

And I'd love to see Zelda kicking *** with her rapier and light magic. But I also still want to be able to play Link.
Or maybe a Zelda game that swaps you between the two at different points, until at one point in the story where you get both in your party and can choose who to control and the other is AI controlled or controlled by a secodn player who fights alongside you. Link would be more utility/jank focused with his many projectiles and gadgets and would be focused on exploiting enemy weak points and breaking their guard to do crazy damage, whereas Zelda would just be straight DPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
BotW Zelda is my favorite Zelda. Wish she would've been playable.
She's also my favorite main game Zelda.
Though I think my favorite Zelda in general is the one in Ultimate. I know she's technically the LttP Zelda +/- some stuff but still.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
You're not wrong.

But it's also a stupid argument.

If Sakurai had wanted BotW Zelda in, there's absolutely nothing stopping him from putting her in. He chose not to. Any arbitrary reason given for that decision is just that. Arbitrary. There's nothing about Zelda's current moveset that can't be replicated in pants.
\

Yes

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Or maybe a Zelda game that swaps you between the two at different points, until at one point in the story where you get both in your party and can choose who to control and the other is AI controlled or controlled by a secodn player who fights alongside you. Link would be more utility/jank focused with his many projectiles and gadgets and would be focused on exploiting enemy weak points and breaking their guard to do more damage, whereas Zelda would just be straight heavy DPS.
Honestly, this would be amazing. I'd love to have the two able to swap out for different purposes, or even run different missions. That would make an incredible Zelda game.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
There is something to be said about a revived Ganon saying, "Hey, wait a minute. Zelda is surrounded by an entire kingdom's worth of protection and Link is just a little boy in the woods. Why don't I steal the triforce of courage first instead this time?"

An alternate story where Zelda, the wise one, realizes what's happening and has to fight to save Link or Ganon will summon the power he needs to destroy her kingdom.
I would love that.

I would also like to play as Ganondorf in a doomed timeline.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
She's also my favorite main game Zelda.
Though I think my favorite Zelda in general is the one in Ultimate. I know she's technically the LttP Zelda +/- some stuff but still.
Considering her default Fighter Spirit is based on ALBW, I'd say it's the other way around.

And now I'm upset that Young Link does not have a Ravio-inspired color scheme...

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well, one of the best things about TP Zelda is that she doesn't really have any romance with Link whatsoever. The one who needs to get out of the picture for that is Ilia, and I don't really think anyone likes her that much.
Oh, yeah, that's true. I don't mean like in the game itself, because you see her like, 3 times or so in the entire game, while Midna is with Link all the way, plus her character growth. I mean it more like, despite their being more connections between Link and Midna, some fans (specially when it comes to fanart) act like that the whole ordeal didn't even happened and that Link goes with that Zelda, or Ilia (it's a rarity in comparison to the other two). And yeah, most people don't like her, and the quest to restore her memory is pretty annoying, if it could have been skippable, it would have saved a lot of time.

And the fact that Midna leaves is no excuse to do that...cough.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I would love that.

I would also like to play as Ganondorf in a doomed timeline.
DUDE.

SONIC ADVENTURE 2 THAT ****.

Zelda is the good side. Ganon's the bad side.

Link's the secret unlockable third story.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Enough about Zeldas let's talk about Links:
ix839yx39e621.jpg

Gotta say I really appreciate how TP Link looks a bit more wild and feral than the rest of the links.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Considering her default Fighter Spirit is based on ALBW, I'd say it's the other way around.

And now I'm upset that Young Link does not have a Ravio-inspired color scheme...
It is, and I just said LttP because ALBW is just LttP2 (literally, in Japan) so I just picked the safer anti-argument option

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

They really should indeed mix up things in a Zelda game like this. Kind of like how Ocarina of Time got a whole bunch of timelines going on, except we choose the destiny of the story ourselves this time?

Link and Zelda should obviously be playable, but so should Ganondorf. Getting the Triforce is maybe a common, shared goal. Or preventing the other(s) from getting it? It's also possible to throw new Champions in the mix, who could easily be reoccuring Zelda characters, as Impa for the Sheikah Champion for example. Crazy plot twists could come into play then.

I also wouldn't exactly mind a Zelda x Fire Emblem crossover.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
You're not wrong.

But it's also a stupid argument.

If Sakurai had wanted BotW Zelda in, there's absolutely nothing stopping him from putting her in. He chose not to. Any arbitrary reason given for that decision is just that. Arbitrary. There's nothing about Zelda's current moveset that can't be replicated in pants.
I feel as if it's arguable that down-smash requires the dress, though imo in general I feel as if Zelda's moveset was designed around her classic look, and that it would seem awkward imposed on Breath of the Wild Zelda. That's subjective though.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
It is, and I just said LttP because ALBW is just LttP2 (literally, in Japan) so I just picked the safer anti-argument option
Oh, fair enough. I didn't catch that before.

Is anyone speculating on DLC newcomers right now? If so, who are you predicting, and what predictions in particular do you consider risky.
I'm no "predictions guy", but one character I feel has really good odds right now is Saber (Artoria) for being a combination of:
-"Relevant" in the sense that you can argue this for her even though it's a **** argument. To clarify, I mean that relevancy is usually used against a character's chances of being playable. I think she's iconic enough to transcend this position
-Comes from a money-making franchise
-Popular, and how
If you need to hit a middle-ground for a character to make it into Smash, she's at least Joker-Tier and above.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
DUDE.

SONIC ADVENTURE 2 THAT ****.

Zelda is the good side. Ganon's the bad side.

Link's the secret unlockable third story.
instant buy tbh

I would also love to play as an rpg with all three of them in the same party vs something even bigger.
With Mallow and Geno as the fourth and fifth party members. /s

D

Deleted member

instant buy tbh

I would also love to play as an rpg with all three of them in the same party vs something even bigger.
With Mallow and Geno as the fourth and fifth party members. /s
Hyrule Warriors was a game that i liked, tbh.

But there’s always room for improvement.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Enough about Zeldas let's talk about Links:
View attachment 185249
Gotta say I really appreciate how TP Link looks a bit more wild and feral than the rest of the links.
Tp link looks more Wild then the Actually Wild link lol
tho TP link can turn into a woof so yeah, he is pretty wild

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
ID: 93BXV
Password: 2580

Here's an arena if you want to jam

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I'm just elated the Zelda series finally has some meaningful 2D-era content in Smash, with the closest thing before this being the fact that Temple is sorta kinda tangentially a Zelda II stage. Zelda I and ALTTP were/are two of the biggest and weirdest omissions in terms of huge important games among Nintendo's pantheon just pretty much being ignored altogether in Smash.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I've only been 5% here honestly what promise was that? Didn't even have time to change profile pic..

Edit: There we go.
I said "If a character is revealed at the game awards, I'll let GothFluttershy pick my profile pic and say that I support Zoe for Smash for 1 month".

To people saying "I warned you" I knew what I was risking. And I like attention, so I don't really mind tbh.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm sure he just needed an excuse to have the Zelda crew in different outfits. But I also really wasn't a fan of how whiny BotW Zelda was for pretty well most of the game.

I mean...

I liked Ilia...........

That girl demanded respect.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel as if it's arguable that down-smash requires the dress, though imo in general I feel as if Zelda's moveset was designed around her classic look, and that it would seem awkward imposed on Breath of the Wild Zelda. That's subjective though.
They could, you know, just change that Down Smash?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It is subjective. So we can agree to disagree.

But her dsmash is literally just her kicking left then right. It's not like Paisy's that uses the dress itself as a dsmash. All that would need to change are her hurt boxes to not incorporate her dress and, as has been shown by labbing Ultimate Zelda, they already changed her hurtboxes anyway with this redesign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom