• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
What are people’s opinions on Quote. I often forget, and then am reminded of, the fact that before Shovel Knight he was Mr. Indie Game. I’m not saying I think he’s likely, I have no idea. But with Shovel Knight and Shantae most likely out of the running, he wouldn’t be a bad choice IMO.
I think if Shovel Knight and Shantae only made it as far as AT and spirit then he is very unlikely.

D

Deleted member

Isn't it awesome when everything and everyone you thought you knew start unraveling around you and revealing things you probably should never have known about, scarring you emotionally and leaving you unsure and in a situation where all you can do is work towards college and hope you're smart enough to end up somewhere better just so you can escape it all?
I can relate to a degree.
I’m so sorry you’re going through this, Noipoi, it really isn’t fair, but you are smart enough to escape it, man. You’re a really talented guy with heaps of promise, and potential.
You can do it, man. Bless you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
my hank hill mii gunner is going hard with all of his propane and propane accessories

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Does anyone else find it weird that these guys aren't Spirits?
IMG_3566.PNG
They had trophies in Melee, and sure they're obscure, but we've seen plenty of spirits that are more obscure than Doshin the Giant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Doshin the Giant is the only franchise to be represented in a previous Smash game, but not be represented in Ultimate (unless you count Goldeneye and Perfect Dark being represented by the motion-sensor bomb and cloaking device in Melee... or the games referenced in Brawl's chronicle).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Off-topic, but does anyone know why so many Smash Youtubers are uploading videos about Wendy at the same time? I love the gal, but it's starting to unnerve me a little.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Off-topic, but does anyone know why so many Smash Youtubers are uploading videos about Wendy at the same time? I love the gal, but it's starting to unnerve me a little.
I WANNA ASK ABOUT THIS AS WELL.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
It's a tease for the next DLC character, Wendy's the Fast Food Place

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I see what you mean, you are right, despite the Too Big Meme almost disappearing (which, I still use at times for funsies), that doesn't mean that Ridley lost any attention (And his reveal generated more things like: The still stabbed Megaman/Broken Neck Mario, Ridley kills little friends, the Asserting Dominance taunt, etc) . I mean, yeah, things are way more calm without the constant arguing of two factions and that now we feel at ease after 17 years; which I am honestly glad about. When it comes to the comic, I love the style and I wish I could do something like that, but I see your point.
I'm glad you do. To suggest Ridley and company lost attention ieast because they got in, makes no sense to folks who have been paying attention. They're featured in more videos, references, for more merchandise, they all have more discussions fueled towards them, and that's just within Smash! Outside Smash, they've got potential brighter futures, and have become talked about even more in the mainstream.

Pakky

Smash Hero
:ultkrool:
Had one of the best trailers of all od Smash history and I watch it every other day.

:ultincineroar: Was so close to what I imagined that it's eerie

:ultridley: Large Surprise and a great stage setter

:ultsimon: Super cool

Joker: That was some clean stuff right there. I mean the lead up with Game Awards stage and everything, yeah that was amazing.

Every time I have a match with :ultkrool::ultridley: its still shocking that both of them are here.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What are people’s opinions on Quote. I often forget, and then am reminded of, the fact that before Shovel Knight he was Mr. Indie Game. I’m not saying I think he’s likely, I have no idea. But with Shovel Knight and Shantae most likely out of the running, he wouldn’t be a bad choice IMO.
with Shantae and Shovel Knight not being playable...Quote stands little to no chance in hell

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
:ultkrool:
Had one of the best trailers of all od Smash history and I watch it every other day.

:ultincineroar: Was so close to what I imagined that it's eerie

:ultridley: Large Surprise and a great stage setter

:ultsimon: Super cool

Joker: That was some clean stuff right there. I mean the lead up with Game Awards stage and everything, yeah that was amazing.

Every time I have a match with :ultkrool::ultridley: its still shocking that both of them are here.
What do you mean about 'Roar? What were your ideas?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I want Quote more than any other indie darling.

But he's not happening. Now, or ever.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The Wendy stuff is likely people trying to force her into meme status, but it's so forced that a lot of people are getting sick of it already,

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm gonna be attacked as an SJW by garbage people, but the Wendy meme (I watched several of these Wendy videos out of curiosity) shows some inexplicable discussions of her attractiveness. I mean, I guess furries (scalies?) might bother thinking about how sexy anthropomorphic turtles are in general, but the commentary about how unattractive she is just points to how a woman's appearance is always an issue. As a gay guy, I have yet to consider how sexy Iggy or Lemmy are. Which, I guess I'm doing now. They're not.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I know I'm gonna be attacked as an SJW by garbage people, but the Wendy meme (I watched several of these Wendy videos out of curiosity) shows some inexplicable discussions of her attractiveness. I mean, I guess furries (scalies?) might bother thinking about how sexy anthropomorphic turtles are in general, but the commentary about how unattractive she is just points to how a woman's appearance is always an issue. As a gay guy, I have yet to consider how sexy Iggy or Lemmy are. Which, I guess I'm doing now. They're not.
Has you see fan-arts of her doing god know what? There is a lot of them. On another note, why is the meme a thing?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I guess the difference is that Wendy cares a lot about her appearances unlike her brothers. She's kinda in your face with it. But that's an inherent issue with Koopalings' Smurfette principle.

Personally, I find it pretty disturbing when one of the videos gone into sex joke territory, like, isn't she supposed to be a kid?

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I guess the difference is that Wendy cares a lot about her appearances unlike her brothers. She's kinda in your face with it. But that's an inherent issue with Koopalings' Smurfette principle.

Personally, I find it pretty disturbing when one of the videos gone into sex joke territory, like, isn't she supposed to be a kid?
Do weknow ANY of the Koopalings' age?

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I haven't heard anything on the koopalings ages at all. I thought we were talking about Wendy's Wendy for a bit here and not Wendy Koopa though lol

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Does anyone else find it weird that these guys aren't Spirits? View attachment 185223They had trophies in Melee, and sure they're obscure, but we've seen plenty of spirits that are more obscure than Doshin the Giant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Doshin the Giant is the only franchise to be represented in a previous Smash game, but not be represented in Ultimate (unless you count Goldeneye and Perfect Dark being represented by the motion-sensor bomb and cloaking device in Melee... or the games referenced in Brawl's chronicle).
Yeah it's pretty weird.

Bit.Trip, bit Generations, Thru and English Training are other series who had stickers/trophies to not be represented in any form in Ultimate.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Now I almost feel kind of bad for that post I made earlier commenting on how I find her ugly. It is certainly is true that as a society, we are far more likely to judge woman based on their appearance compared to men, and the fact that no one can seem to talk about female characters without talking about "waifus" is certainly reflective of that. On the other hand, I definitely wasn't considering sexual attraction when I said that though - I think those "lips" looking really jarring and weird, like Wario's uh, everything. In my own defense I've even made comments about how I don't like to play as K.Rool before despite enjoying his play style simply because he's ugly. Meanwhile, I think most of her brothers character designs are pretty cute and pleasing to look at (not in the attractive way, of course) with the other exception being Ludwig.

On that note, if you want to get into feminist talk though her character design is arguably problematic in nature. There's 7 koopalings each with their own one-note character traits, and hers is that she's female. She wears jewelry, lipstick, and a pink bow. Of the 7 characters, she's the only one who's female and arguably the only one who's defined by her gender (a case could be made that Morton is defined by masculinity though). It's not necessarily a bad thing to have your gender be a defining part of you character but it's far more frequent for that to happen to female characters then male ones, as the Koopalings all demonstrate.

All that said, it would be really nice if a conversation about Lucina or Zamus could go 5 seconds without someone making a joke about their bust size.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Nah you are 100% right. Part of the Wendy meme is because she is a woman.

Truthfully, I don’t care. There are bigger real world issues, but you don’t see Lemmy being the butt of the meme (although how could he be, he’s so precious).

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Technically Wendy is a scalie.

I always headcanoned the Koopalings being kids pre NSMBW and becoming teenagers
post NSMBW.

D

Deleted member

Who would be a crazier inclusion: Katalina from Granblue Fantasy or Scorpion from Mortal Kombat?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Who would be a crazier inclusion: Katalina from Granblue Fantasy or Scorpion from Mortal Kombat?
Sans Undertale.

Technically Wendy is a scalie.

I always headcanoned the Koopalings being kids pre NSMBW and becoming teenagers
post NSMBW.
Larry's the youngest, Ludwig is the oldest. I always thought Larry was nine and Ludwig was fifteen or something, with the rest of them being in the middle.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Tough. Katalina would be really controversial because she’s from a mobile gacha game, but Scorpion would be controversial because he’d either be really violent or not violent enough if they censor him a bit.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Sans Undertale.

Larry's the youngest, Ludwig is the oldest. I always thought Larry was nine and Ludwig was fifteen or something, with the rest of them being in the middle.
My headcanon ages?

Larry-13
Morton-14
Wendy-15
Iggy-16
Roy-17
Lemmy-18(mentally 7)
Ludwig-19

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Anyway regardless of your stance on Wendy the best Koopaling has to be Roy and here's why.
:4roy:
- Cool shades, probably an honorary member of the Squirtle Squad.
- Is another FE rep yet is such an amazing character that no one minds his presence even despite overrepresentation.
- Not afraid to openly wear pink. He's fabulous and he's not going to let arbitrary, artifical gender norms get in the way of that!

...And actually that's all I can think of. Mario characters don't exactly have a whole lot of depth to them.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Sans Undertale.

Sans wouldn’t be that crazy. He’s pretty popular, especially in Japan.

But more importantly, how is Lemmy not the youngest??

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Anyway regardless of your stance on Wendy the best Koopaling has to be Roy and here's why.
:4roy:
- Cool shades, probably an honorary member of the Squirtle Squad.
-Mamaged to get in an be beloved by all even despite FE overepresentation.
- Not afraid to openly wear pink. He's fabulous and he's not going to let arbitrary, artifical gender norms get in the way of that!

...And actually that's all I can think of. Mario characters don't exactly have a whole lot of depth to them.
ROY IS OUR BOY

osby

Smash Obsessed
Tough. Katalina would be really controversial because she’s from a mobile gacha game, but Scorpion would be controversial because he’d either be really violent or not violent enough if they censor him a bit.
Katalina would be more controversial because Smash fandom acts weird whenever we get a hot lady.

-Mamaged to get in an be beloved by all even despite FE overepresentation.
I like Roy but I'm not quite sure what this sentence is supposed to mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom