• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The idea of a group of friends travelling together could have worked just... not in Pokemon. You only get to fight your actual rival near the third gym(and that takes a while considering the gap between the first and second gyms) while you have already fought Tierno twice, and Shauna and what's-his-name (god he could never actually have more Pokemon than me are you kidding me) once. It becomes unfocused on how to handle the rivals and they end up just being forgetable and it tells they really didn't know how to pace these fights considering you fight the sidekicks all together in quick succession before the 8th gym.

And speaking of the main rival, honest to god don't know why GF brought back the "your rival is the other playable character" from RSE considering Brendan and May are the most forgotten rivals of all time and there's a reason why people call Wally the actual rival. It just doesn't feel like an actual character and to me it diminished their impact significantly.
Also, I was always jealous of them as they didn't have to wear a hat >:'^(

I think the best way to handle the other PC if they want to implement them in the story is how Sinnoh did it, having them as a minor character that pops up from time to time but doesn't feel unexisting like not!Kris from HGSS.
You could do the Unova or Alola approach as well and just not have them too though, whatever works.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
You totally could! I don't see what's stopping you.
xD Haha...it is just that I am indecisive! I would have to brainstorm ideas and then think how to execute it, and I have done a more comic-like try out once, and it took me quite a while to just leave it as a lineart and not add color...=3O That is why I do quick doodles with added dialog rather than comics.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I would love Nemesis as was be a blast to play in UMvC3 and does a perfect job at representing horror part of RE, but I feel like his horrific appearance might discourage them.

I’d love to be wrong, but the exposed flesh and stitched-on face might not fit the games rating.
Well, they could arguably "pretty" him up. Stylize him a bit. That's how Capcom made him more appropriate for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think I just experienced my first ragequit. It was against a Villager player who was struggling to land a kill move on my Ivyaur. Partway through landing one of my nairs the previously unlaggy game just completely froze for a minute and then my opponent started playing like a CPU, doing weird things like down smashing while I was under the platform below them or throwing a pocketed Razor Leaf at me point blank. I didn't earn any GSP afterwards and let me tell you I'm salty about that because approaching a Villager is not easy or fun.

If you can't take not being able to kill don't play Villager. And if you can't take someone playing defensive to avoid setting themselves up for a KO, then for mother of Arceus don't main Villager you hypocrite.
I got a lot of ragequits on me before, but the fact that you don't gain any GSP from it is bull

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Okay Heatmor is ugly and I'm not so attached to Basculin for me to get upset over this, but don't you go disrespecting my mecha ant boi.

Is he good competitively? No. Is bug/steel a unique typing that's hardly been done before? Also no, but he reminds me of this stupid toy robot spider I had as a kid. I love him.

They really overdid it with the legendaries that gen though. Then they had to include those ugly and terrifying Therian forms for no reason other then "just because".
I disagree on the Therian forms, I feel they greatly helped the Kami trio. While their original designs made a lot of sense if you remember their concept (as Raijin and Fuijin do look alike in mythology), there's no denying that design-wise the trio was initially hated for being too similar to each other and were very overlooked by fans as a result. The Therian forms on the other hand took their original concept and made them into designs that stood out from each other as now you have the three gods turned into animals, but also properly reflective their respective elements and concepts that still look relatively cohesive together. It also allowed them to have different styles of gameplay from each other, though admittedly that led to some issues with Landorus-T.

As for the rest, I still stand by the opinion that the Tao Trio are some of the strongest Cover Legendaries from a story/lore standpoint. I also liked the main trio of the Swords of Justice and Genesect, particularly the former from a conceptual standpoint.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would love Nemesis as was be a blast to play in UMvC3 and does a perfect job at representing horror part of RE, but I feel like his horrific appearance might discourage them.

I’d love to be wrong, but the exposed flesh and stitched-on face might not fit the games rating.
And Ridley isn't discouraging?

D

Deleted member

Welp, I just learned that Cassandra and Amy are the final DLC characters for Soul Calibur 6 unless there's a second season of DLC.

That's kind of a bummer if you ask me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Welp, I just learned that Cassandra and Amy are the final DLC characters for Soul Calibur 6 unless there's a second season of DLC.

Worst of all no Aeon Calcos.

Oh well at least the lizardman race is a choice for creating a character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

No Setsuka, no buy.
ignoring the fact that I've already bought it.

D

Deleted member

I think I just experienced my first ragequit. It was against a Villager player who was struggling to land a kill move on my Ivyaur. Partway through landing one of my nairs the previously unlaggy game just completely froze for a minute and then my opponent started playing like a CPU, doing weird things like down smashing while I was under the platform below them or throwing a pocketed Razor Leaf at me point blank. I didn't earn any GSP afterwards and let me tell you I'm salty about that because approaching a Villager is not easy or fun.

If you can't take not being able to kill don't play Villager. And if you can't take someone playing defensive to avoid setting themselves up for a KO, then for mother of Arceus don't main Villager you hypocrite.
God you din't get GSP for ragequitting opponents? That's so much ****ing bull****
I disagree on the Therian forms, I feel they greatly helped the Kami trio. While their original designs made a lot of sense if you remember their concept (as Raijin and Fuijin do look alike in mythology), there's no denying that design-wise the trio was initially hated for being too similar to each other and were very overlooked by fans as a result. The Therian forms on the other hand took their original concept and made them into designs that stood out from each other as now you have the three gods turned into animals, but also properly reflective their respective elements and concepts that still look relatively cohesive together. It also allowed them to have different styles of gameplay from each other, though admittedly that led to some issues with Landorus-T.

As for the rest, I still stand by the opinion that the Tao Trio are some of the strongest Cover Legendaries from a story/lore standpoint. I also liked the main trio of the Swords of Justice and Genesect, particularly the former from a conceptual standpoint.
Agreed on pretty much everything.
The Tao Trio is really the only Legendaries besides Nebby who are actually involved in the plot anyways and it makes the final confrontation so much more impactful.

The Swords of Justice were cool too, just wish they weren't so hideen away in the first game, they really could have implemented some encounters with them beforehand like with what B2W2 did.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Hmmmmm. I dunno. On the one hand, I get what they're trying to go for. On the other hand, the implication that after a character gets in, they'd lose the spotlight....... doesn't really work when you consider how much people clamor for veterans to return.

I feel.... that logic only really applies to the ideal behind a character like Waluigi in-universe, constantly in the shadows and even still it seems ridiculous. And I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I feel it kinda cheapens the time people put into supporting these characters. Ain't no way you're gonna convince me that King K. ROOL ain't getting talked up to this day still. And that's not even covering Smash's knack for getting characters more noticed.

Especially considering the waves that Ridley still makes with the new "Big Time" hit.

A shame. I usually enjoy Wooden's work, but this one came off a bit as a miss, all things considered.
No offense but youre overthinking it a bit i think..

Bionichute

Smash Champion
if you think pokemon legendaries are bad, yokai watch 3 added in like 25 legendaries after the second game only added in 3

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627

This confirmed now? And shame was hoping for someone new or at least lizardman. The lizards are already mistreated in CAS, now no lizard boi. A shame

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Pokemon is good stuff, great stuff sometimes. Amazing, world breaking stuff? No. But good, good stuff.

Besides, no one's allowed to **** on Pokemon while i'm here.
View attachment 185157
I suggest you cool it, buddy.
you can't just hand me that kind of opening and not have me make the joke. its like handing me a piece of cake and telling me not to eat it, i'm gonna eat it

@Shishœ i'm assuming that, since you think yokai watch is bad, you've put a good few hours into it? maybe like, 7 at least? gotten past the prologue? because i played pokemon for years before a realized it didn't click with me. or are you just saying the game's bad even though you haven't played it

next time i pull something like this you can use this post as ammo

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
After almost a month of Smash being out, I can safely say this based off experience.

Whether I win or lose, and no matter who I play as, fighting any of the 3 Links is a gigantic pain and not very fun.

D

Deleted member

no you're talking about pokemon
Uhm yeah, that's what I said
you can't just hand me that kind of opening and not have me make the joke. its like handing me a piece of cake and telling me not to eat it, i'm gonna eat it

@Shishœ i'm assuming that, since you think yokai watch is bad, you've put a good few hours into it? maybe like, 7 at least? gotten past the prologue? because i played pokemon for years before a realized it didn't click with me. or are you just saying the game's bad even though you haven't played it

next time i pull something like this you can use this post as ammo
I played the 3DS demo and I went "how the **** does this combat work? This sucks, I wanna go back to playing something good!" and then I went back to playing Pokemon

Last edited by a moderator:

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
After almost a month of Smash being out, I can safely say this based off experience.

Whether I win or lose, and no matter who I play as, fighting any of the 3 Links is a gigantic pain and not very fun.
I think I'd have a huge hatred for Links if I didn't main someone with a reflect/absorb attack.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Gotta say, I don't think putting 3 projectiles on any character tends to be fun.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I played the 3DS demo and I went "how the **** does this combat work? This sucks, I wanna go back to playing something good!" and then I went back to playing Pokemon
i mean that's your prerogative but the demo is also just kind of bad, and the combat makes a lot more sense when you actually get into it

yokai watch 3 has a completely different, far more controlled battle system if that means anything

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

WAIT WHAT?!?

Holy ****, I need to get back into that game then! I love both of them, but I'd already given both of them up and made a custom Amy. Oh man, I hope they actually give her some nice story finally.

Pity about Setsuka though, that's a nice moveset. And I'm still greatly missing having Link and his left-handedness in the game in case a Switch port is ever inbound...

Oh, and Smash...Uhh, Nightmare would be an awesome addition.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Richter in doubles is a ****ing annoyance and a threat when protected by his partners

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
What are people’s opinions on Quote. I often forget, and then am reminded of, the fact that before Shovel Knight he was Mr. Indie Game. I’m not saying I think he’s likely, I have no idea. But with Shovel Knight and Shantae most likely out of the running, he wouldn’t be a bad choice IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom