• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I want Jiggs to stay for the same reason other people want her cut. She's not a character who would ever make it in nowadays. While the usual character choice criteria they use is good for pleasing a lot of people it's pretty limiting. The fact that Jiggs completely circumvents the selection process and just gets in every game because she had a brief popularity flash at the time the first game came out and her model is close to Kirby's and then got grandfather claused into every sequel is great and makes her one of the more interesting parts of the roster.

Like there's some fans, including me, who tend not to be into hyperexposed mascot characters and get more attached to the more "dark horse" type characters in big franchises and the only characters in Smash who really fill that niece are Jigglypuff and maaaaybe Roy, Dark Pit, and the recent Mario additions because they're running out of big pillars to add. When they do go for more obscure characters it's always "the obvious mascot of an obscure franchise" not a relatively obscure character within their own franchise. If there's one thing the Smash selection process really over selects for it's only having the most obvious characters in each franchise and Jiggs is a great outlier from that. The fact that without prior Smash knowledge there's like 30 pokemon I'd sooner expect to see in Smash 4 than Jigglypuff and yet here she is is great.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I want Jiggs to stay for the same reason other people want her cut. She's not a character who would ever make it in nowadays. While the usual character choice criteria they use is good for pleasing a lot of people it's pretty limiting. The fact that Jiggs completely circumvents the selection process and just gets in every game because she had a brief popularity flash at the time the first game came out and her model is close to Kirby's and then got grandfather claused into every sequel is great and makes her one of the more interesting parts of the roster.

Like there's some fans, including me, who tend not to be into hyperexposed mascot characters and get more attached to the more "dark horse" type characters in big franchises and the only characters in Smash who really fill that niece are Jigglypuff and maaaaybe Roy, Dark Pit, and the recent Mario additions because they're running out of big pillars to add. When they do go for more obscure characters it's always "the obvious mascot of an obscure franchise" not a relatively obscure character within their own franchise. If there's one thing the Smash selection process really over selects for it's only having the most obvious characters in each franchise and Jiggs is a great outlier from that. The fact that without prior Smash knowledge there's like 30 pokemon I'd sooner expect to see in Smash 4 than Jigglypuff and yet here she is is great.
You pretty much took the words outta my mouth and added 100 more.

I can really relate to this honestly

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Elma: Xenoblade X's timing makes her a prime candidate and her moveset potential is massive.
I know everyone keeps saying this, but while I do agree the timing is prefect to be her in, and her moveset has many potential.
If you want a character that will get Xenoblade fans excited, then you got to put Rex in. Maybe it will be "more than we can chew" for asking both.... So if I have to pick a character in Smash, I am going to go for Rex/Pyra and other Blades.

And I have give out my expectations on Rex moveset which in my opinion if they have time do it, Rex has more potential because of again, the Blade system.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The funny thing about Lucario is, he's been pushed for much longer by the Pokemon Company than Mewtwo ever has. Gen 4 was over a decade ago and Lucario's popularity has still endured. It really just seems like some people out there hate him just because he isn't Mewtwo.
My guess is it's a demographic issue. Older fans getting defensive about newer stuff, fearing that their favorites are going to be replaced by something newer. Honestly within the Smash community in particular this isn't an isolated case, I've seen similar behavior like this. Like fans of King K. Rool and the Kremlings being bitter about them being absent and seemingly replaced with the Tikis and Snowmads, or fans of Golden Sun for some reason thinking they were in competition with Xenoblade Chronicles. Stuff like that.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I know everyone keeps saying this, but while I do agree the timing is prefect to be her in, and her moveset has many potential.
If you want a character that will get Xenoblade fans excited, then you got to put Rex in. Maybe it will be "more than we can chew" for asking both.... So if I have to pick a character in Smash, I am going to go for Rex/Pyra and other Blades.

And I have give out my expectations on Rex moveset which in my opinion if they have time do it, Rex has more potential because of again, the Blade system.
I don't think rex has more potential tbh, blades in xc2's combat pretty much just stand around and give support, they let rex use different arts and they have different elements and classes but I don't really see how they could work in smash all that well. For the most part rex would be just another swordsman with a gimmick that isn't nearly as unique as monado arts

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Okay, I am hoping Wii Fit Trainer gets cut, she to me seems to be a great one off character
That's what people used to say about R.O.B.

I told them that R.O.B would not be cut from the roster.

They were that dumb, and you should have seen the look on their faces when R.O.B came back ~

:4rob::4rob::4rob:

R.O.B WILL NEVER LEAVE, YOU HEAR ME? <3 He is so cuuuuuuuuuuuuute.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
That's what people used to say about R.O.B.

I told them that R.O.B would not be cut from the roster.

They were that dumb, and you should have seen the look on their faces when R.O.B came back ~

:4rob::4rob::4rob:

R.O.B WILL NEVER LEAVE, YOU HEAR ME? <3 He is so cuuuuuuuuuuuuute.
There's a certain term I wanna use to refer to those who hate R.O.B. and want him cut

but I can't say because then I'll get kicked off the site seconds after I post it.

All Imma say is this: R.O.B. will never leave.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
R.O.B. is like Wii Fit Trainer. I truly believe out of everything in the Smash series, all the hype, all the newcomers we've had.

Those two? They represent the talent of our creative director more than anyone. That's not to knock anything else, but there's just a certain sheer brilliance about what he was able to do with those two.

Everyone can claim hindsight with their movesets and what not, but nah.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
R.O.B. is like Wii Fit Trainer. I truly believe out of everything in the Smash series, all the hype, all the newcomers we've had.

Those two? They represent the talent of our creative director more than anyone. That's not to knock anything else, but there's just a certain sheer brilliance about what he was able to do with those two.

Everyone can claim hindsight with their movesets and what not, but nah.
I'd be upset if they cut WFT or ROB, because both of them are just so creative and brilliant, that it almost feels like a shame to lose them.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Wii Fit Trainer is the only character NOBODY predicted
No one had even considered it
She’s a brilliant choice for smash

People who want her cut are probably people who have irrational hatred for “casual” Wii era Nintendo games :rolleyes:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So, a new Smash is coming out soon, huh?. Well, I think it's time for a roster speculation...

So yeah, I am saying that there will be 74 characters, with 15 of them being newcomers and 3 of them being veterans from Brawl.

Regarding new IPs, I would say Splatoon, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Brain Age, Nintendo Land, Bomberman, Tetris, Dragon Quest and Rayman could be represented this time around, without including the returning of Ice Climber and Metal Gear.

That's it. I will look forward to see how accurate my roster was.
Tetris block...?

What if we got Baby Yoshi as an item? What would they do?
Eat other items as you carry it. Eat . . .however many items it takes to bring them to adulthood and something happens. Getting a rideable yoshi wouldn't work so maybe some sort of bonus. Whether it be healing or power star.
:061:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I love R.O.B. He's such a cool character. A simple yet effective design. In terms of gameplay, I like a lot of his projectile useage. The laser catching people who weren't paying attention off guard. And the gyro which makes for fantastic item play.

It really does make me sad how often I hear people say he should be cut.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Eat other items as you carry it. Eat . . .however many items it takes to bring them to adulthood and something happens. Getting a rideable yoshi wouldn't work so maybe some sort of bonus. Whether it be healing or power star.
Maybe different colors could have different abilities!

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I don't think rex has more potential tbh, blades in xc2's combat pretty much just stand around and give support, they let rex use different arts and they have different elements and classes but I don't really see how they could work in smash all that well. For the most part rex would be just another swordsman with a gimmick that isn't nearly as unique as monado arts
Blades were far more unique and in depth and customizable than monado arts. Whereas arts changed the attributes of specific moves, and blades completely change the moves altogether. Blades added type combos as well which got far more complex than monado arts.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
So, I have made a roster speculation, just for fun (or was it for glory?)...

So yeah, I am saying that there will be 74 characters, with 15 of them being newcomers and 3 of them being veterans from Brawl.

Regarding new IPs, I would say Splatoon, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Brain Age, Nintendo Land, Bomberman, Tetris, Dragon Quest and Rayman could be represented this time around, without including the returning of Ice Climber and Metal Gear.

What do you guys think?

Blades were far more unique and in depth and customizable than monado arts. Whereas arts changed the attributes of specific moves, and blades completely change the moves altogether. Blades added type combos as well which got far more complex than monado arts.
but is that reasonable for smash?

That would mean having to change multiple blades with multiple movesets and multiple models running around at the same time. Monado arts are easy. It's just Shulk. Changing blades means multiple models and animations and ****. Using multiple blades might not be reasonable.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
They'd change his up, side and neutral special most likely, and while having healing and tank options could be interesting it's not THAT interesting imo, certainly not compared to Elma's stance changing by using arts concept. And blade combos wouldn't really work in smash since you'd probably have 3 blades at most anyway.

but is that reasonable for smash?

That would mean having to change multiple blades with multiple movesets and multiple models running around at the same time. Monado arts are easy. It's just Shulk. Changing blades means multiple models and animations and ****. Using multiple blades might not be reasonable.
Blades would probably be in the background ala pokemon trainer tho tbh, they wouldn't need all that much animation and stuff

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Have we discussed what we think they’re going to do for the post launch support? I’ve been thinking of how games like overwatch, splatoon, and arms handle it and hope smash does similar things.
Imagine this, the game releases in September, and in October we get a Halloween event, during this event multiple spooky themed skins are released for multiple characters that can be bought by using in game currency, which you get by completing achievements, playing online, etc
There would be simple color swaps like hilda or ravio for Zelda and Link, to full on different models like skeleton Mario and dry bowser.
I don’t think they would do lootboxes, if anything it would be similar to the arcade badge app on 3ds which isn’t bad in comparison.

Anyway besides themed events it would be cool if they went the ARMS route and released the new characters as free updates, along with stages.

I would also like to see them add new taunts and victory poses for each character, maybe those could also be unlocked with in game currency and more can be added with updates

Basically I want this game to some sort of update or event often to keep the playerbase engaged and give us fan service and content for years after release, especially if the switch lasts a long time and this is the only smash we’ll get for a while

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Have we discussed what we think they’re going to do for the post launch support? I’ve been thinking of how games like overwatch, splatoon, and arms handle it and hope smash does similar things.
Imagine this, the game releases in September, and in October we get a Halloween event, during this event multiple spooky themed skins are released for multiple characters that can be bought by using in game currency, which you get by completing achievements, playing online, etc
There would be simple color swaps like hilda or ravio for Zelda and Link, to full on different models like skeleton Mario and dry bowser.
I don’t think they would do lootboxes, if anything it would be similar to the arcade badge app on 3ds which isn’t bad in comparison.

Anyway besides themed events it would be cool if they went the ARMS route and released the new characters as free updates, along with stages.

I would also like to see them add new taunts and victory poses for each character, maybe those could also be unlocked with in game currency and more can be added with updates

Basically I want this game to some sort of update or event often to keep the playerbase engaged and give us fan service and content for years after release, especially if the switch lasts a long time and this is the only smash we’ll get for a while
That sounds neat as long as there are no ****ing microtransactions, and ESPECIALLY no ****ing lootboxes

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
That sounds neat as long as there are no ****ing microtransactions, and ESPECIALLY no ****ing lootboxes
Yeah I don’t think Nintendo would do that, like I said if anything they’ll have similar to what they did with the 3DS badge arcade, essentially it’s like a crane game where you pay real money to get badges to decorate your 3DS. I could see them giving that as an option for people who really want the skins and can’t wait to obtain the in game currency to get them

Blades would probably be in the background ala pokemon trainer tho tbh, they wouldn't need all that much animation and stuff
I mean that's still a bit of work for their animations and odels running around. . .

But Rex would need new animations for every blade. That's 3 sets of animations for every attack. That's a ****ton of work for one character. It's why I think the only Blade Rex will have is Pyra.
Mythra too maybe.

I could see the final form as a final smash if we don't get Burning Sword/Sacred Arrow but I dont expect it

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
If springman gets in they better make ribbongirl a clone, springman is lame as hell tbh and they're both on that cover art, they both deserve
> Spring Man
> Lame

As for RG, I wouldn’t want her as a clone as she could be totally unique. Wouldn’t mind Springtron as an alt though.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yeah I don’t think Nintendo would do that, like I said if anything they’ll have similar to what they did with the 3DS badge arcade, essentially it’s like a crane game where you pay real money to get badges to decorate your 3DS. I could see them giving that as an option for people who really want the skins and can’t wait to obtain the in game currency to get them
I guess that's okay as long as the skins aren't ridiculously hard to get, essentially making you buy them or suffer trying to unlock them lol

I mean that's still a bit of work for their animations and odels running around. . .

But Rex would need new animations for every blade. That's 3 sets of animations for every attack. That's a ****ton of work for one character. It's why I think the only Blade Rex will have is Pyra.
Mythra too maybe.

I could see the final form as a final smash if we don't get Burning Sword/Sacred Arrow but I dont expect it
I'm imagining blades would only effect his specials, so 9 attacks, idk how the **** they'd handle custom moves in that case tho lmao

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I guess that's okay as long as the skins aren't ridiculously hard to get, essentially making you buy them or suffer trying to unlock them lol
Yeah the goal wouldn’t be to frustrate people it would be to keep people playing
Also another example of an event is next year for the 20th anniversary they can release low polygon n64 style skins for the characters along with adding some 64 stages

I'm imagining blades would only effect his specials, so 9 attacks, idk how the **** they'd handle custom moves in that case tho lmao
Im . . .not sure how that would work. Rex attacks with whatever blade is active. Im not sure how one could tell the player Blade B is active for specials while he only uses one blade for random attacks.

Like, you cant just put a thing above his head saying "Hey boreas is your engaged blade. I know you're Pyra is what Rex is hldong, but if you use a special a Bit Ball is just going to magically appear."

Best case scenario I see for Rex using multiple blades: Pyra is his main blades. For some normals/specials he uses a different weapon and he switches for each attack. EX back air always uses a megalance, down air always uses a greataxe etc. but after the attack he always switches back to Pyra. But Pyra herself and other blades are never seen except final smash). Just the weapons.

would be super inaccurate for representation but so was Shulk's lol.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The ones I feel will get kicked for 5: :4corrin: :4darkpit: :4cloud: :4wiifit: :4ryu: :4feroy: :4lucario: :4drmario:

The ones that might return: :4bayonetta: :4lucina: :4lucas: :4mii: :4megaman: :4pacman: :wolf:
This is extremely weird.

I assume you chose Dr. Mario and Dark Pit because you have a hatred for or bias against characters you feel are costumes when in actuality they have unique abilities (even more so than Lucina).

You chose Lucas (A Japan Only game from 2006 from an obscure series) to stay, and Wolf to return???

And what do you mean "ones that might return"? Are we to assume that anybody not on that list WON'T?

This isn't just a disagreement. This is highly illogical and inconsistent.

Well for Dr. Mario and Dark Pit, they're clones.As for Lucario, Gen 4 isn't important anymore. And for Wii Fit Trainer, not only she's a joke character, but also not relevant anymore.
Wii Fit Trainer is not a joke character.

Once again, this is you being clouded by your irrational hatred for well deserved characters like you know better than Sakurai which characters are worthy. Because you just look at everything like "That character is a dumb joke character than nobody cares about. Dr. Mario is a clone and clones are worthless."

the roster is filled with characters who are relevant.
To be fair, it's because they are veterans. Wii Fit Trainer is not a four time veteran like Captain Falcon or Jigglypuff.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Umm, yes. Don't you tell me you are not falling in love with this moveset:

I mean...I guess...but it's still a tetris block...

Im . . .not sure how that would work. Rex attacks with whatever blade is active. Im not sure how one could tell the player Blade B is active for specials while he only uses one blade for random attacks.

Like, you cant just put a thing above his head saying "Hey boreas is your engaged blade. I know you're Pyra is what Rex is hldong, but if you use a special a Bit Ball is just going to magically appear."

Best case scenario I see for Rex using multiple blades: Pyra is his main blades. For some normals/specials he uses a different weapon and he switches for each attack. EX back air always uses a megalance, down air always uses a greataxe etc. but after the attack he always switches back to Pyra.

would be super inaccurate for representation but so was Shulk's lol.
I mean I guess, but the blade would still appear in the background so you could tell, using the aegis sword for boreas or whatever is innacurate but eh...him using one blade would defeat the point and they can't really give him 3 whole movesets.

Honestly the more I think about it the less sense rex makes...Elma stays winning yall!

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Ok. Say we get a story mode. What would it be about? Tabuu returning? Explaining Core more? Or something else? And will it have voice acting or just what SSE did and explain things in body language and trophies?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Ok. Say we get a story mode. What would it be about? Tabuu returning? Explaining Core more? Or something else? And will it have voice acting or just what SSE did and explain things in body language and trophies?
I'd love some character interactions. Voice acting might be too much, but I think that written dialogue would be just fine. The gestures and grunts from SSE just don't cut it when there is so much potential with so many iconic characters and personalities.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
No offense but if you really play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 you know that Blades aren't just has "swords" like Pyra and Mythra. . Sure you have Katana blades like Perceval, Theory and Newt....
But even when it comes to Story Blades like Dromarch, and Brighid, they don't have swords as their weapon either
You also have Blades that use Axe, Bitball and Cannon, so Rex can have those Blades and have a different moveset. That's way more diversity than Elma and even Cross who O personally think has more potential than Elma. Again, no offense but by how you consider Rex just another swordsmen clearly means that you haven't understand the Blade mechanics. But hey I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom