• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Saw the Spring Man, Decidueye, Ice Climbers rumor doubt it's true, but hope Ice Climbers return. And hope Spring Man, Decidueye get in.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I want Jiggs to stay for the same reason other people want her cut. She's not a character who would ever make it in nowadays. While the usual character choice criteria they use is good for pleasing a lot of people it's pretty limiting. The fact that Jiggs completely circumvents the selection process and just gets in every game because she had a brief popularity flash at the time the first game came out and her model is close to Kirby's and then got grandfather claused into every sequel is great and makes her one of the more interesting parts of the roster.

Like there's some fans, including me, who tend not to be into hyperexposed mascot characters and get more attached to the more "dark horse" type characters in big franchises and the only characters in Smash who really fill that niece are Jigglypuff and maaaaybe Roy, Dark Pit, and the recent Mario additions because they're running out of big pillars to add. When they do go for more obscure characters it's always "the obvious mascot of an obscure franchise" not a relatively obscure character within their own franchise. If there's one thing the Smash selection process really over selects for it's only having the most obvious characters in each franchise and Jiggs is a great outlier from that. The fact that without prior Smash knowledge there's like 30 pokemon I'd sooner expect to see in Smash 4 than Jigglypuff and yet here she is is great.
Agreed with all of this. Plus I love the idea of beating people up with a pink balloon demon creature.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Ok. Say we get a story mode. What would it be about? Tabuu returning? Explaining Core more? Or something else? And will it have voice acting or just what SSE did and explain things in body language and trophies?
I think cutscenes are out. Sakurai has stressed great sadness in seeing them spoiled. Also they took up a ton of resources and time to make.

Likely just a expanded Melee adventure mode.

2D Mushroom Kingdom segment
2D DK jungle segment
Zelda dungeon segment
Metroid escape segment
Kid Icarus vertical segment

etc

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I assume you chose Dr. Mario and Dark Pit because you have a hatred for or bias against characters you feel are costumes when in actuality they have unique abilities (even more so than Lucina).
You probably shouldn't be making blanket assumptions about people who make cloneless rosters.

Like it or not, clones have historically been low priority. From Melee to Brawl we lost Doctor Mario, Roy, Pichu, and Young Link (who got mostly brought back as Toon Link), with only Falco and Ganondorf being brought over. Mewtwo was cut as well, but Sonic is likely the reason for that, being that he caused time constraints. He had the most leftover data, showing he was at the very least higher priority than the other cuts.

Then came the transition from Brawl to Smash 4. Who was cut? Ice Climbers and Snake were special cases whose circumstances have been described enough by now. Ivysaur and Squirtle were tied to the transformation gimmick and have trouble standing on their own, unlike Charizard (Squirtle less so, but still less than Charizard). And the other cuts? Lucas and Wolf. Not clones in the traditional sense, but they were easily two of the most derivative Brawl newcomers. Toon Link was the only one of the three brought over, with Lucas getting in as DLC.

So don't accuse people of advocating hatred of a character just because they predict they won't come back. Clones have historically been low priority additions, with only a few managing to not get cut. Quit attacking people just because you disagree with them; it's petty and embarrassing.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wish people could just enjoy a game and enjoy the (plentiful amount of) characters who are playable. All of which are great characters.

I mean is it weird that I don't go on the internet and complain about playable characters? As if I would know better who deserves to be playable and who doesn't because I didn't get the character I want so I got a start a witch hunt against characters that don't deserve it?

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
No offense but if you really play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 you know that Blades aren't just has "swords" like Pyra and Mythra. . Sure you have Katana blades like Perceval, Theory and Newt....
But even when it comes to Story Blades like Dromarch, and Brighid, they don't have swords as their weapon either
You also have Blades that use Axe, Bitball and Cannon, so Rex can have those Blades and have a different moveset. That's way more diversity than Elma and even Cross who O personally think has more potential than Elma. Again, no offense but by how you consider Rex just another swordsmen clearly means that you haven't understand the Blade mechanics. But hey I could be wrong.
I've played Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I understand the blade mechanics lol. And while those weapons would make him extremely unique, making him at least 3 unique movesets is just not feasible. Elma would need 2 for her stance change mechanic but 3 is just way too much. Elma still has more potential in the sense that she has stance changing, TP, overdrive etc if they really wanted to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I support Rex & Pyra but all the bells and whistles people like to add when they say he can use other Blades too kinda feels like people are grasping at straws to differentiate him from the other giant sword wielders. His sword swings are already really heavy, a big difference from guys like Shulk and Cloud who toss their swords around like they're nothing. Takamaru supporters always like to say that he'd be different from other sword characters because it's how you wield the blade that matters, and they're right. It's pretty easy to apply that Rex too.

But aside from the way he swings his sword all Rex really needs to stand out is some kind of affinity reward system and Blade Specials. Toss in a few fire bending things that may or may not slightly alter terrain and you have a done deal. Blade Specials 1-3 could be worked into Smash attacks while level 4 could be a final smash. All you'd have to do would have Rex toss his sword to Pyra (who would follow him around on stage, not in the background) and you have a duo character that works really differently from the others, especially when coupled with affinity. I went into this more in the Rex thread so I'll just stop before I get carried away.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Saw the Spring Man, Decidueye, Ice Climbers rumor doubt it's true, but hope Ice Climbers return. And hope Spring Man, Decidueye get in.
I think it's already been debunked. The creator posted a video explaining the process I believe.

Also, as far as cuts go, like most I really don't want to see anyone go. Hoping the whole idea of it being originally a port holds true, because I really fell in love with the whole Smash 4 cast.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I support Rex & Pyra but all the bells and whistles people like to add when they say he can use other Blades too kinda feels like people are grasping at straws to differentiate him from the other giant sword wielders. His sword swings are already really heavy, a big difference from guys like Shulk and Cloud who toss their swords around like they're nothing. Takamaru supporters always like to say that he'd be different from other sword characters because it's how you wield the blade that matters, and they're right. It's pretty easy to apply that Rex too.

But aside from the way he swings his sword all Rex really needs to stand out is some kind of affinity reward system and Blade Specials. Toss in a few fire bending things that may or may not slightly alter terrain and you have a done deal. Blade Specials 1-3 could be worked into Smash attacks while level 4 could be a final smash. All you'd have to do would have Rex toss his sword to Pyra (who would follow him around on stage, not in the background) and you have a duo character that works really differently from the others, especially when coupled with affinity. I went into this more in the Rex thread so I'll just stop before I get carried away.
It's not a matter of having the blades to make him stand out. It's a matter of his relationship with Pyra why that is important.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
The only reason to cut Wii Fit Trainer is "She's weird."

No other reason really. She's a lock unless the roster gets gutted.

People can say she isn't relevant, but the roster is filled with characters who are relevant.
Remember when people thought Game and Watch or R.O.B. were going to be cut in the subsequent game?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I feel like the duo idea wouldn't work that well, Pyra provides support, she doesn't attack in game outside of blade specials. Having her be a partner character would just make her a liability and make you lose damage. Having her in the background is more fitting imo.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
but is that reasonable for smash?

That would mean having to change multiple blades with multiple movesets and multiple models running around at the same time. Monado arts are easy. It's just Shulk. Changing blades means multiple models and animations and ****. Using multiple blades might not be reasonable.
:061:
How is reasonable a thing to mention here?

As long as it is how Rex fights in the game, it is reasonable.
Blades would probably be in the background ala pokemon trainer tho tbh, they wouldn't need all that much animation and stuff
Yeah, so not sure why Zeb's reasonable point is legit....
But Rex would need new animations for every blade. That's 3 sets of animations for every attack. That's a ****ton of work for one character. It's why I think the only Blade Rex will have is Pyra.
I actually don't think it would be that much of a work, since nearly every new character would be a huge work, espcially the Inklings that got annouced not too long ago.

It may take a bit of extra work, but it's not impossible. So only legit doubt is will Sakurai actually knew how Rex fights before XC2 is released?

Also, nah, that can't be put into Smash gameplay wise... I think final smash might just be Pyra or Mythra's Lv IV special.

Im . . .not sure how that would work. Rex attacks with whatever blade is active. Im not sure how one could tell the player Blade B is active for specials while he only uses one blade for random attacks.

Like, you cant just put a thing above his head saying "Hey boreas is your engaged blade. I know you're Pyra is what Rex is hldong, but if you use a special a Bit Ball is just going to magically appear."
Just put that Blade icons that we see on the left side of the screen and it will solve the issue... you can see which Blade is ready and which Blade is in cooldown.

But again, I can take the Ls when people asks me how will Rex change Blades... I was thinking the standard specials... but Ill leave this to Sakurai.
Best case scenario I see for Rex using multiple blades: Pyra is his main blades. For some normals/specials he uses a different weapon and he switches for each attack. EX back air always uses a megalance, down air always uses a greataxe etc. but after the attack he always switches back to Pyra. But Pyra herself and other blades are never seen except final smash). Just the weapons.
That can also work, but I'm not too fond with it, yet.
I mean I guess, but the blade would still appear in the background so you could tell, using the aegis sword for boreas or whatever is innacurate but eh...him using one blade would defeat the point and they can't really give him 3 whole movesets.

Honestly the more I think about it the less sense rex makes...Elma stays winning yall!
Again, putting the Blade icons on Rex's damage percentage it will probably solve the problem

And it is nice to stay optimistic but hahaha, no...
Elma is an awesome character, don't get me wrong, but if I have to choose X character it has to be Cross.
I've played Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I understand the blade mechanics lol. And while those weapons would make him extremely unique, making him at least 3 unique movesets is just not feasible. Elma would need 2 for her stance change mechanic but 3 is just way too much. Elma still has more potential in the sense that she has stance changing, TP, overdrive etc if they really wanted to.
I played XC2 for over 474 hours but... whatever...
It is feasible btw, just a matter of time... and we all know Sakurai has played XC2, I mean he played not too long after XC2 launch so I guess he might already knew the game? But that's just mere speculation...

Rex will have those fire ending specials, and his smash attack might be one of his art (Such as Sword Bash).

And, hey, me saying Rex have other Blades not just to make him more "standout", it is the part of the game... I mean the Blades, they are essential part of the XC2's battle system, just like Shulk's Monado arts.

And there's Rex thread? I need to go and see it...

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

I mean I understand that. I'm pretty sure I said even said how Rex swings his sword his different than other sword user somewhere on this site.

I just think that it could also be cool if he could also switch his weapon. Especially if they could find a way to make it instant. One thing you could do maybe is keep the blade special charge when you switch. So if you have Pyra out with a level 3 special, you could switch and use the next blade's level 3 special instead. It would require the opponent to constantly pay attention.

Is it likely though? Probably not, but I can dream.

Also no, I think she should be in the background. Maybe coming out of it to preform specials. I do not see a duo character working for a character like Rex.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not a matter of having the blades to make him stand out. It's a matter of his relationship with Pyra why that is important.
I agree that the relationship with Pyra is important. That's why I said he should only have Pyra in his moveset, and I even made a big post detailing why their bond is integral to the plot and Rex's overall character arch in the Rex thread.

I feel like the duo idea wouldn't work that well, Pyra provides support, she doesn't attack in game outside of blade specials. Having her be a partner character would just make her a liability and make you lose damage. Having her in the background is more fitting imo.
In the Rex thread I said that she should be on the battlefield since she actively fights with Rex in XC2 and it goes to the point that Drivers and Blades are equally important, which plays into their whole relationship and the story. It fits well with Affinity too.

I didn't explain in the post you quoted but Pyra doesn't have to be a liability as much as just someone who follows Rex on stage so he can kind of combo into smash attacks, kind of like a one man Blade Combo. All she has to do is block any attacks that come her way with XC2's signature barrier and get launched when Rex does, which fits with some early game spoilers.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
And it is nice to stay optimistic but hahaha, no...
Elma is an awesome character, don't get me wrong, but if I have to choose X character it has to be Cross.
Cross is the blandest character, I don't see Sakurai choosing them over Elma, especially since their default weapon is a longsword which hella characters already use.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Fellas, Wii Fit Trainer is a joke character. We need to replace her with a character who's been dead for ten years like King K. Rool.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Ok from a marketing stand point how about Qbby? Hal owns both Smash and BoxBoy so a good idea to have BB more well known in other countries is to have Qbby in the game. This would also allow them to sell the Qbby amiibo outside of Japan! We could even get a bunch of trophies from BB and a stage! Honestly I think it would be a good idea to make money!

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Cross is the blandest character, I don't see Sakurai choosing them over Elma, especially since their default weapon is a longsword which hella characters already use.
I seriously don't see Elma getting in.

We're talking about a poorly sold Wii U game as apposed to a hot selling Switch game that's been in development since 2015, specifically in response to the negative reaction to Xenoblade X.

D

Deleted member

Ok from a marketing stand point how about Qbby? Hal owns both Smash and BoxBoy so a good idea to have BB more well known in other countries is to have Qbby in the game. This would also allow them to sell the Qbby amiibo outside of Japan! We could even get a bunch of trophies from BB and a stage! Honestly I think it would be a good idea to make money!
Honestly I could see it happening if only because Qbby would just consist of a bunch of squares which would be a lot less of a strain on development when compared to other characters.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't think there's enough moveset potential there, a stage or an assist trophy would be neat tho

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Rex doesn’t need anyone other than Pyra in his moveset. That would put a ton of work into a moveset that ultimately doesn’t need that to be unique.

It would also bring us back to yet another situation like Sheik of PKMN Trainer where somebody sticks to one superior moveset over another.

Just keep it to Rex and Pyra. **** the gimmicks.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

We're talking about a poorly sold Wii U game as apposed to a hot selling Switch game that's been in development since 2015, specifically in response to the negative reaction to Xenoblade X.
"hot selling" it wasn't out when the roster was decided tho...there's no way rex was added after it came out. Also X sold fine for the wii u, practically everything on there sold like trash anyway. Also since when do sales matter when it comes to character choices?

Rex doesn’t need anyone other than Pyra in his moveset. That would put s ton of work into a moveset that ultimately doesn’t need that to be unique.

It would also bring us back to yet another situation like Sheik of PKMN Trainer where somebody sticks to one superior moveset over another.

But with just pyra he doesn't really offer that much potential as a unique character tho

Last edited:
Elma VS Rex is basically just a matter of timing. If XC2 was early enough, Rex is almost certainly in. If not, Elma might be shadowrunner-sneaking into smash (although not necessarily a lock either way). Give us both please

Cross is dead though lol. Sorry to any fans, but a blank slate with no personality isn't getting in when Elma, a character with an actual personality and unique moveset exists as the main character in the story. This wouldn't be a Chrom situation by any means.
:061:

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Briefly chiming in on the Xenoblade debate to say that having a character have 3+ movesets based on Blades just isn’t worth the time, especially if custom moves come back. Do we really want them to spend the time it takes to make potentially multiple other newcomers just so they can give Rex such a mechanic like that?

I get that a few people seem to really like him/them, but if we can get Elma and another character and the same development time? Easy answer in my books.

Fellas, Wii Fit Trainer is a joke character. We need to replace her with a character who's been dead for ten years like King K. Rool.
Jesus, for a guy who hates people being negative you get kinda cranky sometimes :laugh:

I’d enjoy Qbby just for the weirdness of having the character as a fighter.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
"hot selling" it wasn't out when the roster was decided tho...there's no way rex was added after it came out. Also X sold fine for the wii u, practically everything on there sold like trash anyway. Also since when do sales matter when it comes to character choices?

But with just pyra he doesn't really offer that much potential as a unique character tho
Yes he does. The affinity system allows Rex to charge special arts to stronger versions, which could be implemented similarly to Cloud with the Limit Break.

Another idea i’ve had is implementing Pyra like a tag partner in MvC, where she can add onto a combo or break a combo.

I would go more in depth but i’m currently exhausted. There is quite a bit that could be done with Rex without racking on needless work in the form of additional movesets that, ultimately, would break the premise of the character in the first place.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So, I have made a roster speculation, just for fun (or was it for glory?)...

So yeah, I am saying that there will be 74 characters, with 15 of them being newcomers and 3 of them being veterans from Brawl.

Regarding new IPs, I would say Splatoon, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, Brain Age, Nintendo Land, Bomberman, Tetris, Dragon Quest and Rayman could be represented this time around, without including the returning of Ice Climber and Metal Gear.

What do you guys think?
I think you need to include your avatar.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Burh, that's your avatar! how is it bland?
And Cross/avatar can use other weapons besides longsword right? So then yeah, Cross has more diversity than Elma.

But hey, I really want to play XCX... on Switch.
Even I already finish XC2 after 474 hours of playing, I will definitely pick XCX if it comes to Switch.

Rex doesn’t need anyone other than Pyra in his moveset. That would put s ton of work into a moveset that ultimately doesn’t need that to be unique.
But that's how Rex fights in his games...

And even if it's tons of works, unlike third party character (Also don't forget that it is HAL and Nintendo working on this new Smash, for now), Sakurai can easily get info and help on Rex by contacting to Nintendo and Monolithsoft. Hell he can even ask some XC2 developers for help easily.

That's why I hope you an have option of setting Rex's Blades, he can disengage with other Blades and go with just Pyra or with some Blades on the way...

And you misused the term "gimmick" buddy... Blades are an essential part of XC2 battle and story wise... it isn't gimmick.

My only point is... well... Fire Emblem Awakening...

And X sold well on Wii U, yeah....no... it is a commercial success to say the least.
But XC2 is the best selling Xenoblade game by far, so...
Yes he does. The affinity system allows Rex to charge special arts to stronger versions, which could be implemented similarly to Cloud with the Limit Break.
Interestingly, when your affinity is on max, you can actually move faster in XC2. I think this can be implemented in Smash as well.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Another idea i’ve had is implementing Pyra like a tag partner in MvC, where she can add onto a combo or break a combo.

I would go more in depth but i’m currently exhausted. There is quite a bit that could be done with Rex without racking on needless work in the form of additional movesets that, ultimately, would break the premise of the character in the first place.
tbh I forgot about affinity lol. And I'm curious what exactly you mean by tag partner, how does it work exactly?

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I wish people could just enjoy a game and enjoy the (plentiful amount of) characters who are playable. All of which are great characters.

I mean is it weird that I don't go on the internet and complain about playable characters? As if I would know better who deserves to be playable and who doesn't because I didn't get the character I want so I got a start a witch hunt against characters that don't deserve it?
Screw the clones, whether they return or not. If any characters get cut, it better be 2 out of the three Mii fighters. Unlike the clones, they take effort or more time to develop three distinct movesets for, time much better spent on two more unqiue characters.

Just keep the Mii fighter or something, I don't care. It would just be more time-efficient to get rid of the other two.

B-but muh 2015-2016 development period

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
And Cross/avatar can use other weapons besides longsword right? So then yeah, Cross has more diversity than Elma.
If it were ever a choice between Elma and Cross, Cross would get in by a mile. He has so much more to offer in terms of gameplay and uniqueness and hes actually the main character of XBX. That said, both don't stand a bats chance in hell against Rex.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Keyword. 'default' they can't really use all those weapons in one moveset. Also Cross is extremely bland, they don't have a character and barely serve a purpose in the story.

And X sold well on Wii U, yeah....no... it is a commercial success to say the least.
and like I just said, THE GAME WASN'T OUT YET, the game selling well wouldn't effect his inclusion.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

But hey, I really want to play XCX... on Switch.
Even I already finish XC2 after 474 hours of playing, I will definitely pick XCX if it comes to Switch.

But that's how Rex fights in his games...

And even if it's tons of works, unlike third party character (Also don't forget that it is HAL and Nintendo working on this new Smash, for now), Sakurai can easily get info and help on Rex by contacting to Nintendo and Monolithsoft. Hell he can even ask some XC2 developers for help easily.

That's why I hope you an have option of setting Rex's Blades, he can disengage with other Blades and go with just Pyra or with some Blades on the way...

And you misused the term "gimmick" buddy... Blades are an essential part of XC2 battle and story wise... it isn't gimmick.

Interestingly, when your affinity is on max, you can actually move faster in XC2. I think this can be implemented in Smash as well.
In a fighting game, which is what we’re talking about, it’s a gimmick. It doesn’t matter if you pick Pyra or not...it’s still development time devoted to 3 movesets for one character. That is a waste of time.

I’ve played through and enjoyed XC2. I understand that’s a major part of combat in-game. That doesn’t mean it has to be in Smash if it means 3x the resources for one character. Rex is one of my most wanted btw. He doesn’t need to switch blades for Smash.

Now if it’s Pyra and a specific other character using a particular weapon, that makes more sense. It shouldn’t be more than that though, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
If it were ever a choice between Elma and Cross, Cross would get in by a mile. He has so much more to offer in terms of gameplay and uniqueness and hes actually the main character of XBX. That said, both don't stand a bats chance in hell against Rex.
Nobody even remembers Cross though, that's the thing. He's literally meant to look generic, whereas everyone remembers Elma and her design. I'd be down with both, I'm just saying.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
there's no way rex was added after it came out.
The game's been in development since 2015. Smash probably started development in 2016. So why wouldn't they go with Rex?

What character doesn't not have potential in your eyes? Every time its "I can't see him working. He doesn't have any limbs, that character just doesn't have any potential."

I have a feeling you don't know anything about the characters you claim don't have potential or for some vague reason won't work. You clearly demonstrated you weren't even aware Mimikyu had limbs and could move around just as easily as any other Pokemon.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Not really, his main weapon is far less unique than elma's and he's not gonna use all of the weapons, that'd be dumb as hell.

Also he's not really the main character, he's the player character but they serve little to no purpose in the games narrative, for the sake of the story Elma is the main character and she actually has, like, a character.

We'll see about that last one sis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom