• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
With the amount of money the Wii Fit series made for Nintendo, even if the Wii name is retired? I'd be SHOCKED if they weren't thinking of some way trying to bring them back for Switch/3DS somehow.

That software was printing money for them.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
I don't understand the idea of adding DLC only to kick them from the roster a mere 2 years later, especially first party characters, third parties too tbh it doesn't make sense to let nintendo use their characters for one game and then randomly not let them in the next game. And Wii Fit trainer? Lucario? Dr. Mario? Dark Pit? what reason is there to cut them?
Don't other fighting game developers do that?
I remember NeatherRealm and Capcom doing it in the sequels.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The only reason to cut Wii Fit Trainer is "She's weird."

No other reason really. She's a lock unless the roster gets gutted.

People can say she isn't relevant, but the roster is filled with characters who are relevant.
I feel like people are forgetting just how big the wii fit games were, it's sold like 40 million copies, that's more than kirby, metroid, star fox, hell even smash bros itself.

edit: irrelevant but in googling to find that number I found that apparently the splatoon series has sold 10 million copies and that's crazy as hell to me

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Honestly I only see the clones getting cut and put into alts like they were intended, maybe not Doc though. Cloud is the only one that seems a bit up in the air, depends on Square.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Honestly I only see the clones getting cut and put into alts like they were intended, maybe not Doc though. Cloud is the only one that seems a bit up in the air, depends on Square.
But what would be the point of making them alts again lmao, I don't understand the logic behind that idea

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, its kind of obvious that people who say Lucario is irrelevent don't pay attention to Pokemon anymore.
Honestly I always did question how popular Lucario is. I mean yeah the Pokemon Company loves to push for Lucario, but I often see people being rather indifferent towards the Pokemon. Maybe it's one of those cases where it's based on the age demographic, like younger fans like it but older ones don't care about it.

Would probably explain why people are okay with wanting Lucario to be gone.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly I always did question how popular Lucario is. I mean yeah the Pokemon Company loves to push for Lucario, but I often see people being rather indifferent towards the Pokemon. Maybe it's one of those cases where it's based on the age demographic, like younger fans like it but older ones don't care about it.

Would probably explain why people are okay with wanting Lucario to be gone.
It's still really popular.

I see a lot of people who Lucario avatars, fantasy teams and sigs in Pokemon communities.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Well in "I really should and could be doing anything else" news I was rewatching parts of the Smash direct from April 2014, mostly because I was reminded of the assist trophy "grave yard" section of the direct. Regarding the Waluigi conversation the other day where my organizing ass was freaking out about whether he would sit next to Wario on the CSS, I found this:

(Excuse the awful quality)
He is considered in the wario franchise for the sake of smash bros. Just a neat tidbit i found in this information drought.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
It's odd that Lucario placed below many other Pokemon on the top 100 poll.

I guess GF will keep trying to push him however they can, but I think they'd get more bang for their buck if they just drop him and focus on their upcoming potential characters.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That isn't unpopular at all.

Not to mention, that these polls do change all the time. Like, Greninja isn't the most popular anymore.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I guess GF will keep trying to push him however they can, but I think they'd get more bang for their buck if they just drop him and focus on their upcoming potential characters.
If I recall correctly, Lucario was kind of blatantly forced in with the I choose you movie as it barely served much purpose but to just be there. Like I'd almost swear Piplup had more screentime than him....

I just hope they don't just blatantly shove Greninja into everything just for the sake of it being there...

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel like people are forgetting just how big the wii fit games were, it's sold like 40 million copies, that's more than kirby, metroid, star fox, hell even smash bros itself.

edit: irrelevant but in googling to find that number I found that apparently the splatoon series has sold 10 million copies and that's crazy as hell to me
The success of Wii Fit makes it one of the defining games of a console that is most definitively important to Nintendo history means it'll always be relevant. Even if the series doesn't have any new games it will always be relevant by virtue of being an important part of Nintendo history.

Relevancy has nothing to do with recency and everything to do with importance seeing as historical relevancy is a thing and there's countless examples of games, characters, stories, etc. that without an update in years, decades, etc. still managed to have impact on people's lives, perhaps even cultural impact. But based off how misused the word is, you'd think relevancy=flavour of the month.

Relevancy as a misused term is nothing more than an attempt to exaggerate the significance of whatever minor new toy is being touted by fans because "Look, X character has a new game so they totally are a big time character!"

Last edited:

TheMagic1

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwagAlt
Is it just me or does Smash 4 lack any identity? It's a great game, but I feel like there's not that much life to it and there's nothing that memorable about it. I feel like Smash 4 is going to become a game we completely forget about once the new installment comes out, and that there won't really be any huge reason to go back to it unlike the first 3 installments.

Troykv

Smash Master

Well, 21 out of 800? is still a good position... Where is Puff by the way?

I see people praise god in this list, good.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Is it just me or does Smash 4 lack any identity? It's a great game, but I feel like there's not that much life to it and there's nothing that memorable about it. I feel like Smash 4 is going to become a game we completely forget about once the new installment comes out, and that there won't really be any huge reason to go back to it unlike the first 3 installments.
I don’t think it’s much different than any of the others. I mean, I’ve never gone back to an older version of Smash once the new one came out (barring reliving some nostalgia with the 64 version on Virtual Console). Minus a hardcore following, Smashers tend to just move on.

In the end, Smash4 was an amazing game, and I’m hoping 5 will be even better.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Not even in the top 20?

WHEW

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'd rather forget Smash 4 because there wasn't anything crazy about it than remember it for some garbage mechanics/horrible balancing flaws like Brawl :p

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

I think its time we divorce Jigglypuff from Smash.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I like it when people bring up Wii Fit's sales because they only bring it up after Wii Fit Trainer was revealed, so it's like they try to act coy to swallow their pride, like "o-oh I always knew why Wii Fit Trainer was included! [nervous laugh]". This is completely ignoring the fact that the actual reason Wii Fit Trainer was included was to be an intentional "surprise" pick no one expected.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I like it when people bring up Wii Fit's sales because they only bring it up after Wii Fit Trainer was revealed, so it's like they try to act coy to swallow their pride, like "o-oh I always knew why Wii Fit Trainer was included! [nervous laugh]". This is completely ignoring the fact that the actual reason Wii Fit Trainer was included was to be an intentional "surprise" pick no one expected.
Nobody said they expected it all along, they just said that it actually makes a lot of sense. Of course people didn't think about it all along, but in retrospect it's obvious that it made sense.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Well in "I really should and could be doing anything else" news I was rewatching parts of the Smash direct from April 2014, mostly because I was reminded of the assist trophy "grave yard" section of the direct. Regarding the Waluigi conversation the other day where my organizing *** was freaking out about whether he would sit next to Wario on the CSS, I found this:

(Excuse the awful quality)
He is considered in the wario franchise for the sake of smash bros. Just a neat tidbit i found in this information drought.
Waluigi has the Mario icon in the actual game.

These polls are always full of legendaries because the winners are usually distributed as prizes with some cool movesets or Poke Balls. They also have meme Pokemon like Magnemite and Archeops.

Is it just me or does Smash 4 lack any identity? It's a great game, but I feel like there's not that much life to it and there's nothing that memorable about it. I feel like Smash 4 is going to become a game we completely forget about once the new installment comes out, and that there won't really be any huge reason to go back to it un like the first 3 installments.
I agree, I'm already forgetting it tbh haha.
And not only because it lacks an identity, it is also kinda boring, idk.
And I don't like many characters in it.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just want Lucario's down air to go back to it's Brawl physics. Even with all his buffs, I couldn't use 4 Lucario without it.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
People who deny WFTs place in Smash are in denial.

She has more right to her spot than a lot of secondary characters on the roster.

Unique, hilarious, from a successful franchise, unexpected, recognisable to casuals, and despite having Wii in her name, her series isn't dead yet. I could totally see a Switch Fit game advertised as a portable fitness regime.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
That isn't unpopular at all.

Not to mention, that these polls do change all the time. Like, Greninja isn't the most popular anymore.
Well I didn't meant to imply he's unpopular, I just expected him to at least be top 5 or 10, or somewhere between Charizard and Mewtwo.
I think its time we divorce Jigglypuff from Smash.
A lot of people do. It'd be a tough decision for the developers though; Jigglypuff is assumed to be easy to make, and is part of the original 12.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

21 is still decent tho, Plus this only takes into account Japan, i feel like they're probably much more popular in the west.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Any poll that only has two starters in the top 45 seems kinda dubious to me.

Just doesn’t seem accurate to the fanbase at large...

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
What if we got Porky in a smaller version of his robot thing? Or that fleshy looking one from that one battle with him? (I've never played Earthbound/Mother so don't be harsh in informing me please)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
What if we got Porky in a smaller version of his robot thing? Or that fleshy looking one from that one battle with him? (I've never played Earthbound/Mother so don't be harsh in informing me please)
I'd like him to have a small bot, but using the bigger one for a Final Smash, that sounds the best to me.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
The funny thing about Lucario is, he's been pushed for much longer by the Pokemon Company than Mewtwo ever has. Gen 4 was over a decade ago and Lucario's popularity has still endured. It really just seems like some people out there hate him just because he isn't Mewtwo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom