• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

tbh I forgot about affinity lol. And I'm curious what exactly you mean by tag partner, how does it work exactly?
Not who you quoted but I think they're talking about assists. So basically Pyra would come out of nowhere and do some kind of attack independent of Rex to assist him.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
If it were ever a choice between Elma and Cross, Cross would get in by a mile. He has so much more to offer in terms of gameplay and uniqueness and hes actually the main character of XBX. That said, both don't stand a bats chance in hell against Rex.
Not really sure about that, I can still see the time issue being a problem for Rex in Smash...

It is possible that they are working on Rex right now.... but I'm not giving my hopes up that much.
In a fighting game, which is what we’re talking about, it’s a gimmick. It doesn’t matter if you pick Pyra or not...it’s still development time devoted to 3 movesets for one character. That is a waste of time.
Really? Smash Bros isn't a typical fighting game... and there are many characters that has gimmicks actually.

I’ve played through and enjoyed XC2. I understand that’s a major part of combat in-game. That doesn’t mean it has to be in Smash if it means 3x the resources for one character. Rex is one of my most wanted btw. He doesn’t need to switch blades for Smash.
I do understand that you can't cram every functions of the Blade system, but in my opinion, Rex has to have at least Pyra and have the option to go with other Blades.

And I once mention that Core Crystals can be a new assist item as well. Common Blade and even rare Blades will appear and give characters weapon to use. And they can keep using it until they get KOed.
Also he's not really the main character, he's the player character but they serve little to no purpose in the games narrative, for the sake of the story Elma is the main character and she actually has, like, a character.
What? Rex is the main character, not even a question... he's just ... have some hit or misses in the game...

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Nobody even remembers Cross though, that's the thing. He's literally meant to look generic, whereas everyone remembers Elma and her design. I'd be down with both, I'm just saying.
Technically Cross is your avatar... just saying. And even more specific, he's the first "Character" you see when starting XCX lol.
Three relatively niche titles with as many unique characters seems an outcome I wouldn't bank on.
Are you talking about Xenoblade? Well again, XC2 sells over a million within a month, so.. yeah... it is niche....

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Can't she come out of the blade? I haven't played much of the game.
No. Blades aren't the actual weapons. They are living people. The weapons are essentially what comes with the Blade since they can draw it out with ether.

I'm not sure if the idea of her being an assist to Rex has to have her come out of nowhere.

If it were ever a choice between Elma and Cross, Cross would get in by a mile. He has so much more to offer in terms of gameplay and uniqueness and hes actually the main character of XBX. That said, both don't stand a bats chance in hell against Rex.
Sakurai: "The character must display personality in their game"
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/26/sakurai-on-character-choices/

Cross has literally no personality. Multiple choice options that don't allow for a personality and a bunch of stock voice lines that are never used for the story and are basically not releavant.

Elma on the other hand does. Not to mention she is the main character of the game basically. The one that's marketed, the only character relevant to the plot, etc. And Cross using every weapon in the game isn't happening. "Everything and the kitchen sinks" movesets don't flow well and don't really ever get used. See: Robin who only uses swords and magic. If we do get Cross it would be dagger+Assualt Rifle. Maybe the longsword. And that isn't particularly unique when Elma exists who actually manages to be more unique in this situation.

:061:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Three relatively niche titles with as many unique characters seems an outcome I wouldn't bank on.
I wouldn’t call xenoblade 2 niche because of the switch’s popularity and it being the only big rpg available
Xenoblade X sure but if 5 chooses to represent the Wii U era as most smash games do with their newcomers, Elma is a strong contender.

I personally think Elma is base roster and Rex is DLC, or also base roster.

D

Deleted member

Can't she come out of the blade? I haven't played much of the game.
Well in this scenario she'd probably be in the background a la Pokemon Trainer while providing affinity. So she'd just pop into the foreground to attack when called on after whatever condition was met to activate the assist, whether it's tied to acquiring a certain amount of affinity, a timer, or some combination of both.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Alm seems like a clear contender. He's the second Fire Emblem game and he got a remake on 3DS which is the newest installment so far.

But, I wonder how he would work. He has an important relationship with Celica. It's not clear what the proper way to represent that would be. Chrom was part of Robin's Final Smash and they were both just as important to the game, so that could work.

But, then again, Alm could use Celica's magic to make him a bit more unique. But, since we have Robin, it maybe wouldn't make much of a significant difference.

I think Alm is CLOSE to being a shoo-in, but what do you guys think would make him unique?

Has anyone played Fire Emblem Gaiden or Echoes?

Well in this scenario she'd probably be in the background a la Pokemon Trainer while providing affinity. So she'd just pop into the foreground after whatever condition was met to activate the assist, whether it's tied to acquiring a certain amount of affinity, a timer, or some combination of both.
That's what I pictured.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The game's been in development since 2015. Smash probably started development in 2016. So why wouldn't they go with Rex?
You were talking about sales for starters which serves no relevance since, again, the game wasn't out, it had no sales. And because the game wasn't out, Sakurai might not when to develop a character from a massive RPG with a deep battle system before it was even done. It's not a pokemon like greninja where a moveset can be designed around a few simple sketches and they don't have personalities or characters.

What character doesn't not have potential in your eyes? Every time its "I can't see him working. He doesn't have any limbs, that character just doesn't have any potential."

I have a feeling you don't know anything about the characters you claim don't have potential or for some vague reason won't work. You clearly demonstrated you weren't even aware Mimikyu had limbs and could move around just as easily as any other Pokemon.
Because I don't think Rex offers that much compared to characters we already have, and certainly not more than Elma, sorry about it. And you stay bringing up mimikyu for some ****ing reason, I never said he didn't have potential or that he couldn't be unique, I said he would offer less than decidueye and he's harder to envision as a fighter due to his body and his abilities compared to dec.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not really sure about that, I can still see the time issue being a problem for Rex in Smash...

It is possible that they are working on Rex right now.... but I'm not giving my hopes up that much.

Really? Smash Bros isn't a typical fighting game... and there are many characters that has gimmicks actually.

I do understand that you can't cram every functions of the Blade system, but in my opinion, Rex has to have at least Pyra and have the option to go with other Blades.

And I once mention that Core Crystals can be a new assist item as well. Common Blade and even rare Blades will appear and give characters weapon to use. And they can keep using it until they get KOed.

What? Rex is the main character, not even a question... he's just ... have some hit or misses in the game...
Gimmicks in a fighting game, when executed correctly, can be good. Others can be bad. This, for Smash, would without a doubt be executed poorly.

If Rex is going to use more than one Blade, and one Blade is without a doubt better than another, why bother developing more than one? It’s the same thing as PKMN Trainer, ZSS, and Sheik. Players stick to Sheik or ZSS because, at the time, they were flat out better than the counterpart.

Regardless of how it is all developed, any models or movesets associated with Rex will take dev time. If Rex is put in with moves based on Pyra and then two other blades, that’s animations for at least 3 different models, as well as potential hitboxes, hurtboxes, taunts, and added visuals. That’s an immense amount of time to put into one character.

On the other hand, if you allow Rex to swap between Pyra and one other particular character I will not name for the sake of spoilers, the difference would be only partially visual because of the use of a similar weapon. Combining that with the affinity system makes way more sense than creating an exhausting amount of content for one character.

The Core Crystals as items similar to Poke Balls are a far better idea than cramming it into a moveset.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
To be entirely fair. Xenoblade 2 made a million units by end of december of last year. By the time Sakurai made his project plan, Xenoblade hadn't broken a million yet.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Alm seems like a clear contender. He's the second Fire Emblem game and he got a remake on 3DS which is the newest installment so far.

But, I wonder how he would work. He has an important relationship with Celica. It's not clear what the proper way to represent that would be. Chrom was part of Robin's Final Smash and they were both just as important to the game, so that could work.

But, then again, Alm could use Celica's magic to make him a bit more unique. But, since we have Robin, it maybe wouldn't make much of a significant difference.

I think Alm is CLOSE to being a shoo-in, but what do you guys think would make him unique?

That's what I pictured.
I don’t think either of them are shoo-ins, and celica is more likely. I have the game but haven’t finished it and Celica is a much more interesting character so far
I think Lyn will finally be in due to her popularity and recent appearences in fire emblem heroes and fire emblem warriors.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Because I don't think Rex offers that much compared to characters we already have
But, you never explain why.

And you stay bringing up mimikyu for some ****ing reason
The reason is that you were incredulous. You made a judgement about a character you knew nothing about, which you do constantly, just like you are doing with Rex.

he's harder to envision as a fighter due to his body and his abilities compared to dec.
Again. You never explain why. What's wrong with his body? What's wrong with his abilities? What are better about Decidueye's abilities as apposed to Mimikyu?

If you're gonna go around saying "I don't think that would work. I don't think this would work. I can't see that working." then can you at least elaborate?

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

That's what I pictured.
idk anything about fire emblem but...please...no more...sakurai please...

Also why him over celica? doesn't she have magic and **** while he doesn't? she seems more interesting

I just hope we get someone from Xenoblade

Whether it's Rex or Elma I just want one of the two. They are both some of my most wanted at this point but it kind of sucks to feel like if Rex gets in then Elma is out. Like having to sacrifice one child for another. Elma in base and Rex as DLC would be great! . . .but i'm never that lucky. I walked into Smash Switch speculation expecting to get Inklings and nothing else since so many other wants were no-hopers. Now I see a chance that someone I really want may be a frontrunner! And if I don't get either i'll be a tad bummed.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
idk anything about fire emblem but...please...no more...sakurai please...

Also why him over celica? doesn't she have magic and **** while he doesn't? she seems more interesting
Why him? Because Celica is the secondary protagonist. Why does magic make her more interesting? Robin has magic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was playing Echoes a few weeks ago. I kinda dropped it when I got my hands on Xenoblade 2 (sorry) but I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually. I think I was at Celica's raid the castle level in Act 3 against the mercenaries or whatever, I forget the name of it. Think it started with a G.

Even though I haven't finished it I do think that you're on the right track, just with the wrong character. I highly doubt IS would push Alm over Celica since she's more popular and has more potential with her different magic spells. Sakurai already overlooked Chrom because he'd be just another swordsman and I think Alm has that same problem. IS already forced Celica to be in FE Warriors, not Alm. That being said I'm not creative enough to figure out how her Fire and Thunder spells would be that much different from Robin's so I'm rooting hard for my lady Lyn, a fast swordfighter, in hopes that the CYL poll was soon enough (and if it wasn't, for DLC). I'd really like Celica too if she was more about her white & light magic that goes more with her priestess motif instead of using the more anima stuff like Robin, but FE7 was my first Fire Emblem game so Lyn gets the nod in my signature lol.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The reason is that you were incredulous. You made a judgement about a character you knew nothing about, which you do constantly, just like you are doing with Rex.
I know about Rex, I've played his game, we've been talking about his potential moveset for the last two pages and I've explained why I think he'd be harder to see working due to how the blades work and the weapons work etc etc

Again. You never explain why. What's wrong with his body? What's wrong with his abilities? What are better about Decidueye's abilities as apposed to Mimikyu?

If you're gonna go around saying "I don't think that would work. I don't think this would work. I can't see that working." then can you at least elaborate?
I didn't say "that won't work", I said "decidueye would work better" which I stand by because of his more human proportions and the unique archer archetype, he'd clearly be more easy to envision as a fighter, anyone with eyes can see that.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I predict a couple of assist trophy upgrades, with Waluigi, Lyn, and Isabelle being the main ones

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I was playing Echoes a few weeks ago. I kinda dropped it when I got my hands on Xenoblade 2 (sorry) but I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually. I think I was at Celica's raid the castle level in Act 3 against the mercenaries or whatever, I forget the name of it. Think it started with a G.

Even though I haven't finished it I do think that you're on the right track, just with the wrong character. I highly doubt IS would push Alm over Celica since she's more popular and has more potential with her different magic spells. Sakurai already overlooked Chrom because he'd be just another swordsman and I think Alm has that same problem. IS already forced Celica to be in FE Warriors, not Alm. That being said I'm not creative enough to figure out how her Fire and Thunder spells would be that much different from Robin's so I'm rooting hard for my lady Lyn, a fast swordfighter, in hopes that the CYL poll was soon enough (and if it wasn't, for DLC). I'd really like Celica too if she was more about her white & light magic that goes more with her priestess motif instead of using the more anima stuff like Robin, but FE7 was my first Fire Emblem game so she gets the nod in my signature lol.
I forgot she is was in Fire Emblem Warriors. Kind of weird that Alm wasn't there. Robin already has magic so she's just as much another mage as Alm is another Swordsman. But, I guess Celica in FE Warriors is an indication.

D

Deleted member

I predict a couple of assist trophy upgrades, with Waluigi, Lyn, and Isabelle being the main ones
Haha yeah I would love those. Throw in Dillon, Midna, and even Ashley and those would probably be my top assist trophy promos. Just curious about one thing: do you think a character that appears as an assist trophy in the base game has any shot at making it as DLC? And if they do, would the Assist Trophy be deleted, stay the same, or somehow reskinned into another character. I ask this because I fear that a few of my most wanted characters (namely Lyn) will stay as assist trophies only to be locked out of DLC deliberations even though she became more relevant. Honestly if they did have a chance I think the AT would just be deleted since there are plenty of them already, while the AT move could be incorporated into a Final Smash or something.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
in response to the negative reaction to Xenoblade X.
This is a load of bull****.

XCX got good reviews. It got fan acclaim and it sold well for a Wii U title (And a JRPG besides).

Several people in the Xenoblade fanbase don't like it but guess what?

SEVERAL PEOPLE ALSO DON'T LIKE XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2.

XCX having a negative reception is a load of crock, similar to ARMS being dead and Overwatch killing TF2.

It's a lie.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Let’s add Tharja as a robin clone while we’re at it :smirk:
Oh jeez, don't remind me of that. I was so excited to see what the FE:W team would do with Tharja, and all we got was another clone.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Haha yeah I would love those. Throw in Dillon, Midna, and even Ashley and those would probably be my top assist trophy promos. Just curious about one thing: do you think a character that appears as an assist trophy in the base game has any shot at making it as DLC? And if they do, would the Assist Trophy be deleted, stay the same, or somehow reskinned into another character. I ask this because I fear that a few of my most wanted characters (namely Lyn) will stay as assist trophies only to be locked out of DLC deliberations even though she became more relevant. Honestly if they did have a chance I think the AT would just be deleted since there are plenty of them already, while the AT move could be incorporated into a Final Smash or something.
Hmm I’m not sure what would happen in that case, probably they would have some sort of idea that they would want to make them playable and just not include them as an assist trophy in the base game

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Sakurai: "The character must display personality in their game"
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/26/sakurai-on-character-choices/

Cross has literally no personality. Multiple choice options that don't allow for a personality and a bunch of stock voice lines that are never used for the story and are basically not releavant.

Elma on the other hand does. Not to mention she is the main character of the game basically. The one that's marketed, the only character relevant to the plot, etc. And Cross using every weapon in the game isn't happening. "Everything and the kitchen sinks" movesets don't flow well and don't really ever get used. See: Robin who only uses swords and magic. If we do get Cross it would be dagger+Assualt Rifle. Maybe the longsword. And that isn't particularly unique when Elma exists who actually manages to be more unique in this situation.

Villager didn't have personality but he got in over Tom Nook and K K Slider. Robin got in over Chrom. Lucas was a mute and got in over Kumatora. Hell Miis got in before Tomadachi or Miitopia came to the west.

Pretty sure thats not a rule as Sakurai has contradicted himself. And Elma was pretty forgetable. Hell most of the cast was forgettable other than that nopon. The games plot just didn't exist.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Character idea: Team DS (or some other name)
Description:
Team DS is a character that features 5 in 1. It is a representation of built in programs for the DS series of handhelds. The characters are as follows.

Flipnote Frog (Flipnote Hatena on DSi)

Mr. AR (AR Games on 3DS)

Parakeet (DSi Sound on DSi)

Pictochat face (Pictochat on DS)

A Face Raider (Face Raiders on 3DS)

The character will change depending on the attack used, more on that soon. Here are the specials.

B - Flipnote Frog becomes the used character and spins in place like his dance
The attack is similar to Luigi's down b and Mario's Dair.

Side B - Parakeet flies forward and becomes the used character. The attack is quit and can be used to recover.

Up B - The Face Raider becomes the used character and flies up towards the stage similar to Duck Hunt's Up B. When the move ends you will be in free fall. There is a small hit box on the top like Peach's Up B.

Down B - The Pictochat face becomes the used charcter and slams down onto the ground like Kirby's Down B. The attack has landing lag and can't be canceled out of.

When a character swaps out the character currently being used will use the A button. This character has no jabs but instead the neutral A changes the character. Each character has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Flipnote Frog can jump high and use his tongue as a tether recovery but has weak smash attacks.

Parakeet has multiple jumps and good spacing using sound as a projectile in smash attacks but bad tilts.

Mr. AR has the strongest grab and smash attacks but is bad at jumping.

Picto face has good knockback resistance but pretty bad running speed.

Face Raider has fast movement speed but can't grab opponents.

They each have separate taunts that have to do with their origins.

Frog:
U Taunt - He will look towards the screen for a few seconds
S Taunt - Holds out a pencil and paper
D Taunt - Puffs up throat

Mr. AR:
U Taunt- Goes into his box and rolls in place
S Taunt - A cookoo clock bird comes out his box
D Taunt - Jumps causing various Easter eggs from AR Games to come out his box for a few moments

Picto:
U Taunt - A text box appears showing a random drawing
S Taunt - A speech bubble appears above him
D Taunt - Smiles more as the Pictochat jingle plays

Parakeet:
U Taunt - Mimics the opponents voice
S Taunt - Tweets a random song from the game (can be canceled out of)
D Taunt - A speech bubble of a random color appears above him

Face Raider:
U Taunt - Laughs maniacally
S Taunt - Blows a kiss
D Taunt - A see though butterfly flies around them and they spin to look at it getting dizzy

Final Smash - A giant DS, DSi or 3DS replaces the stage based on the character in use. The app the character belongs to then starts playing and different things happen based on the character. Frog causes a giant pencil and eraser to draw on the opponent and then erase it causing damage. AR causes a giant cookoo clock bird to peck the opponent. Parakeet causes time to slow down and speed up randomly only affecting the opponent. Picto causes Pictochat messages to come up from the bottom of the screen and hurt the opponent repeatedly. Face causes giant orange balls to shoot at the player causing great damage.

Trophy Description:
"This team of five come from different worlds but have decided to team up to fight! Flipnote Frog seems to love art, Parakeet never stops talking, Mr. AR loves card games, Face Raider is a bit of a jerk and Pictochat loves to socialize! They are an odd team indeed!

*Nintendo DS
*Nintendo 3DS"

Stages: Pictochat(1 & 2)

This is just an idea I had a long time ago. Sure there are some flaws but it's an interesting idea!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think being an Assist Trophy disconfirms a character, even through DLC.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
This is a load of bull****.

XCX got good reviews. It got fan acclaim and it sold well for a Wii U title (And a JRPG besides).

Several people in the Xenoblade fanbase don't like it but guess what?

SEVERAL PEOPLE ALSO DON'T LIKE XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2.

XCX having a negative reception is a load of crock, similar to ARMS being dead and Overwatch killing TF2.

It's a lie.
This is where I got that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoblade_Chronicles_2

"The game is the third title in Monolith Soft's Xenoblademetaseries, following the original Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X.[5] Plans for the game began as early as July 2014, during the latter half of development of Xenoblade Chronicles X, out of the negative fan reaction from changes implemented in the title.[6] While the original Xenoblade Chronicles followed the typical structure of a general story-driven JRPG, Xenoblade Chronicles X received far less emphasis on story, and was organized in more of a mission-based structure, focused primarily on exploring the game's open world.[5] The development grew impatient upon hearing the fanbase complain about the changes, and started work on another story-driven title.[6] Because the gameplay was more of a continuation of the first title, they decided to title it Xenoblade Chronicles 2.[6] Initial work on the game was difficult because the technical specifications of the Nintendo Switch were not yet finalized or known yet,[6] but once it was finalized, the game featured a shorter development period compared to the prior titles, with executive director Tetsuya Takahashi citing being able to use the technological foundation established in Xenoblade Chronicles X as a means of speeding up development time.[7][8]Another motivating factor was the agreement made by the team with Nintendo specifically to deliver the game early on in the Nintendo Switch's lifecycle.[7]"

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is where I got that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoblade_Chronicles_2

"The game is the third title in Monolith Soft's Xenoblademetaseries, following the original Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X.[5] Plans for the game began as early as July 2014, during the latter half of development of Xenoblade Chronicles X, out of the negative fan reaction from changes implemented in the title.[6] While the original Xenoblade Chronicles followed the typical structure of a general story-driven JRPG, Xenoblade Chronicles X received far less emphasis on story, and was organized in more of a mission-based structure, focused primarily on exploring the game's open world.[5] The development grew impatient upon hearing the fanbase complain about the changes, and started work on another story-driven title.[6] Because the gameplay was more of a continuation of the first title, they decided to title it Xenoblade Chronicles 2.[6] Initial work on the game was difficult because the technical specifications of the Nintendo Switch were not yet finalized or known yet,[6] but once it was finalized, the game featured a shorter development period compared to the prior titles, with executive director Tetsuya Takahashi citing being able to use the technological foundation established in Xenoblade Chronicles X as a means of speeding up development time.[7][8]Another motivating factor was the agreement made by the team with Nintendo specifically to deliver the game early on in the Nintendo Switch's lifecycle.[7]"
Those statements are specifically about changes and not the game as a whole.

This is like saying that Super Smash Bros Brawl had a negative reception because people hated tripping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom