• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I want to see a FE character without a sword. I don't know much about the series so the only one I know by name is Tharja who I recently did a little research on and I'd say she'd be a bit like Robin minus the sword and all magic. Also maybe a bit faster.
Tharja's popular, I guess, but she's not really anything special. Also, on a personal level, I don't really like her.

If we were to get a magical Fire Emblem character, the only protagonist that exclusively uses magic is Micaiah. When it comes to popular magic users in Fire Emblem, you've also got Nino, Lute, and a few other characters, but I doubt that they'd be added.

We could also get Ephraim (Lances) or Hector (Axes) as "Fire Emblem Main Character that doesn't use a sword"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Rhythm Heaven had sold far more copies at the time, had multiple titles and was Nintendo's largest unrepresented series at the time, yet its character got cut in favor of Shulk. Thats special treatment because Sakurai gave him a fast past due to him enjoying the game, and being buddies with Monolithsoft. When it came time to making cuts, Shulk was never an option.

Well that's a very nice story, how much of it can you prove?

And characters from other highly requested and longer running series like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Dillon, etc were still beat out by Shulk.
Wow, dormant and d-list series. Did you pay attention to the roster? Every newcomer bar one (and third-parties) was current, and successful. And therein Xenoblade had the upper hand over the only series from that list that maybe had a chance, Golden Sun. Had the original GS games hypothetically come out a decade later, you'd probably see that reflected on the roster. Or do you only connect the dots that fit your narrative?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Why need to consult when the Monolithsoft team are co-working on Breath of the Wild? Lol

And also it was because of Breath of the Wild, only 40 in house developers were working on Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Consult, co-working. Same thing :3

I remember hearing somewhere they the two were working together but I didn’t read more into it.

Honestly, I prefer Elma over Rex but I think both characters deserve a spot. Elma had an awesome acrobatic gun/sword thing and a Skrell FS would be pretty cool. And I don’t know much about XB2 but a combo team of Rex and Pyra looks interesting on paper so I’m totally down for that.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I'm curious why all speculation in for XCX is Elma or maybe Cross never Lin Lee? I always saw her and Elma as being sort of equal? I don't follow the XB fandom at all or really promotional material and stuff though I just play the games so that's all I'm going off of.

As for Xenoblade in general Smash speculation is a assumptive mess at best that I usually don't like to get into (I like to just talk about who I'd like to see instead of who I think I will see) but Xenoblade speculation for the new game seems to be extra bad because it tends to center around a lot of the least understood aspects of the roster selection process. Stuff like how does the specific timing of dev cycles and release times compared to Smash dev time effect character choices, how Sakurai's opinion of a certain game reflects what exactly constitutes a "unique character" (are we talking unusual gimmics? Weapons? Character designs?), the thin line of what constitutes an important franchise or successful game ect. ect.. It's all a lot of who the heck knows and there is no obvious answer I can see.

Not really, his main weapon is far less unique than elma's and he's not gonna use all of the weapons, that'd be dumb as hell.
"Uses every weapon" is basically Bartz's character concept in Dissidia and I think it's pretty neat there. It'd be harder to make it look natural with the way animations in Smash work but I think they could make it work.

(I'm not a fan of Cross btw just defending multi weapon users as a concept).

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Wow, dormant and d-list series. Did you pay attention to the roster? Every newcomer bar one (and third-parties) was current, and successful.
You're right. But man... A lot of dormant and D-List series would offer a lot of fun and interesting characters compared to some series that are current and successful.

But that's just the way it is unfortunately.

StormC

Smash Hero
Something I was mulling over: what franchises do you expect to get multiple (new) stages this time around? (And maybe, controversially, what franchises do you think should get multiple stages?)

Outside of Melee where the original 10 all got 2...

Brawl: Mario got 5 (!), Zelda, DK, Pokemon, and Metroid got 2.
3DS/Wii U: Mario got 4 in 3DS/3 in Wii U, Zelda/Pokemon got 2 in 3DS/1 in Wii U, FE, KI, Pac-Man and AC got 1 in 3DS/1 in Wii U.

Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda seem like basically a lock, they're sorta the Big Three, after all. I hope we get two DK stages again. Metroid might not be so lucky with the lull the franchise was in though, it had its renaissance between Melee and Brawl.

Also this probably doesn't take into consideration how returning stages are counted for Smash. Like Mario and Zelda got a ton of those in Wii U.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Consult, co-working. Same thing :3

I remember hearing somewhere they the two were working together but I didn’t read more into it.

Honestly, I prefer Elma over Rex but I think both characters deserve a spot. Elma had an awesome acrobatic gun/sword thing and a Skrell FS would be pretty cool. And I don’t know much about XB2 but a combo team of Rex and Pyra looks interesting on paper so I’m totally down for that.
Well, Co work is Monolithsoft directly involved with the developmemt they are a subsidiary of Nintendo afterall.
I remember Monolithsoft helped with the game's open world, which according to Sakurai help to gain their experience on making the open world games even more.
As for Xenoblade in general Smash speculation is a assumptive mess at best that I usually don't like to get into (I like to just talk about who I'd like to see instead of who I think I will see) but Xenoblade speculation for the new game seems to be extra bad because it tends to center around a lot of the least understood aspects of the roster selection process.
Yeah...
So as most already aware I am definitely pro XC2 even though I like all Xenoblade games. Therefore I'm rooting for Rex in Smash, there's no way anyone would change that... Until we get someone from Xenoblade that is not Rex nor Elma. .

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Wow, dormant and d-list series. Did you pay attention to the roster? Every newcomer bar one (and third-parties) was current, and successful. And therein Xenoblade had the upper hand over the only series from that list that maybe had a chance, Golden Sun. Had the original GS games hypothetically come out a decade later, you'd probably see that reflected on the roster. Or do you only connect the dots that fit your narrative?
Shulk got in over Tingle who had four games on the DS. Shulk stole Tingle's spot, and Sakurai should feel ashamed.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Something I was mulling over: what franchises do you expect to get multiple (new) stages this time around? (And maybe, controversially, what franchises do you think should get multiple stages?)

Outside of Melee where the original 10 all got 2...

Brawl: Mario got 5 (!), Zelda, DK, Pokemon, and Metroid got 2.
3DS/Wii U: Mario got 4 in 3DS/3 in Wii U, Zelda/Pokemon got 2 in 3DS/1 in Wii U, FE, KI, Pac-Man and AC got 1 in 3DS/1 in Wii U.

Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda seem like basically a lock, they're sorta the Big Three, after all. I hope we get two DK stages again. Metroid might not be so lucky with the lull the franchise was in though, it had its renaissance between Melee and Brawl.

Also this probably doesn't take into consideration how returning stages are counted for Smash. Like Mario and Zelda got a ton of those in Wii U.
I think most franchises will receive at least one stage. Most of the represented franchises had a game coming out between the release of Smash 4 and Smash Switch (Metroid, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Star Fox, Pikmin, Animal Crossing), or have a game on the horizon (Yoshi, Pikmin again, Metroid again). Even the Mother franchise has something going for it, considering the first two games were released worldwide.

The only franchises I'm not so sure about are F-Zero, Punch-Out and the retro franchises. The retro characters will probably share a few Famicom stages. I have no idea what they are going to do with F-Zero and Punch-Out.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
As long as Sakurai brings back Mute City instead of Port Town Aero Dive, we good for F-Zero probably.

Buuuut only if we get a brand new GX stage.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
The thing that'll probably stop 2 new Xenoblade reps from coming is priority.

Even if two XB newcomers, say Rex and Elma, are planned, Elma will be lower priority than most of the newcomers from other series, who are more/equally unique/popular/important.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So I saw this video and it made me laugh.

Each Smash game in the video was shown having a particular thing that stood out as its big differentiator between Smashes, so I have a question: what sort of unique game mode or feature do you think this Smash game could have, or would you like something that defined a previous game to return?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Maybe I’m misremembering but didn’t the Zelda team consult Monolith Soft XCX team about making open-world games?
During the development of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, roughly half of Monolith Soft's main studio were moved to help with the development of the game. This had a consequence of hindering the development of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 though. With half the man power, the developers were forced to outsource content such as the character models to compensate.

Source

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is Rex vs Elma the new Chrom vs Roy?
Minus the obvious one-sidedness in the likelihood. Roy was an established Smash character who fans wanted to see return. Chrom was a character from a game that already had two reps on the roster (not to mention the fact that Sakurai already rejected him once before for not seeming like a unique addition).

Rex vs Elma is more of a toss-up.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
This is a load of bull****.

XCX got good reviews. It got fan acclaim and it sold well for a Wii U title (And a JRPG besides).

Several people in the Xenoblade fanbase don't like it but guess what?

SEVERAL PEOPLE ALSO DON'T LIKE XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2.

XCX having a negative reception is a load of crock, similar to ARMS being dead and Overwatch killing TF2.

It's a lie.
THANK. YOU.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Is Rex vs Elma the new Chrom vs Roy?
Nah. It's not a contest to see which character sucks less while a small group of people were hoping for something actually interesting to appear instead.

That and Roy was already an established character in Smash. A character that has mixed reception mind you due to commonly being seen as a weak Lord and inferior clone of Marth, but still established nonetheless with enough of a following to warrant discussion.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ridley vs Sakurai will be in our hearts for another round up at least

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yep, every Xenoblade game are well received...
But the truth is Swamp, XC2 is by far the the best selling Xenoblade game, and even the most popular in my opinion.
In my opinion, I like XC2 way more than XCX and XC.

And several people who don't like XC2?.... you mean those who just only look at the characters and not really bother playing them? lol half joking by the way, I do undertand some prefer XCX than XC2, but they need to give out good reason why, same for me who consider XC2 a better game than XC gameplay wise.
Personally I didn't enjoy the story or characters nearly as much as the first Xenoblade and the whole narrative concept in the first Xenoblade got me more invested, going on an adventure with your best friend to...
avenge the death of your other best friend that turns out to be a robot who gets killed by a robot who happens to be an old character who you thought died
is more interesting than Xenoblade 2's concept of "get pyra to elysium", why do we need to do that? cause she told you to and she saved your life or whatever. The motivation was just never there for me tbh and it felt like every character was tagging along just because rather than having a reason to stick with you.

Add to that that I didn't like Rex and Pyra all that much, they felt kinda bland, especially next to characters like Nia, Zeke and Tora. I liked Mythra tho, she was cool.

And then the gameplay doesn't even hold a candle to X's gameplay, it's just not a competition, the combat is more interesting and gives you more options, 2's combat feels dumbed down from X, field abilities were a mess of an idea, rng for blades were annoying, the customization is so overwhelming I just ended up ignoring it, I never gave my blades aux's or anything cause I stopped caring. And in X skell combat was dope, just being allowed to freely fly around is a feeling like no other and while X's story was mediocre I enjoyed the setting a lot more than alrest, mira was a dope and interesting planet.

Also, that character design was...uh...the only character designs I actively enjoyed were Morag, Zeke and Jin. The rest were either ugly or stupid or meh.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
This is a load of bull****.

XCX got good reviews. It got fan acclaim and it sold well for a Wii U title (And a JRPG besides).

Several people in the Xenoblade fanbase don't like it but guess what?

SEVERAL PEOPLE ALSO DON'T LIKE XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2.

XCX having a negative reception is a load of crock, similar to ARMS being dead and Overwatch killing TF2.

It's a lie.

Wow, seeing this spark takes me back to the Smash4 days :) it seldom needs repeating, but it's great to see y'all both here again.

Back to the topic at hand, I wouldn't count out Elma, certainly not because of people disliking X. People didn't like 2! (Personally I prefer 2's structure over X's mission-based gameplay but that is beside the point).

In my own modest opinion, it'll be whether Sakurai wants to represent the game on the previous system (most patterns in how he picks characters would lead us to) or will want to represent/promote the new Switch game. Rex/Pyra and Elma will both make fine addictions, and are both equally deserving of a spot on the roster.

I feel we always come back to this conclusion.
Welcome to Smashboards

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Personally I didn't enjoy the story or characters nearly as much as the first Xenoblade and the whole narrative concept in the first Xenoblade got me more invested, going on an adventure with your best friend to...
avenge the death of your other best friend that turns out to be a robot who gets killed by a robot who happens to be an old character who you thought died
is more interesting than Xenoblade 2's concept of "get pyra to elysium", why do we need to do that? cause she told you to and she saved your life or whatever. The motivation was just never there for me tbh and it felt like every character was tagging along just because rather than having a reason to stick with you.
While I agree that Xenoblade Chronicles has better story than 2,but hey, I think XC2 despite being more.. Well... having a bland concept of "boy meets girl" but once you know the nitty gridy like the first game, things got very interesting and even heart breaking at times. Only if Rex's bad battle cry didn't mess it up...

Also isn't XC was also a bit like that? Especially Riki... whereas Tora got a good reason to follow Rex. Nia is nuff said.

dd to that that I didn't like Rex and Pyra all that much, they felt kinda bland, especially next to characters like Nia, Zeke and Tora. I liked Mythra tho, she was cool.
Just saying them "bland" isn't a proper reason, I'm sure there's more than that... you can talk about Rex's bad English VA, Pyra's design etc... just saying them bland makes your opinion well... bland... hope this didn't offend you.

nd then the gameplay doesn't even hold a candle to X's gameplay, it's just not a competition, the combat is more interesting and gives you more options, field abilities were a mess of an idea, skell combat was dope, just being allowed to freely fly around is a feeling like no other and while X's story was mediocre I enjoyed the setting a lot more than alrest, mira was a dope and interesting planet.
I can't say much about XCX, but I think they are equally good, and still ,even if XCX has better gameplay... the story still isn't good and will always the reason why I won't prefer XCX over XC2. Not to mention the less good looking character models in XCX.

And the Blades are the deal breaker here.

And really now? Alrest is more profound while Mira is just while... an alien planet where we know literally nothing...
Also, that character design was...uh...the only character designs I actively enjoyed were Morag, Zeke and Jin. The rest were either ugly or stupid or meh.
Better give out some examples, otherwise again your opinion isn't convincing.
I can say the designs in XCX aren't good too, the armors are just standard sci fi, and the more better armors looks... weird....
I aware some designs might be bothersome for some people (But who knows why) like Pyra/Mythra Poppi QT, Perun, Newt, Praxis, Dahlia, Kora etc.... basically Monolithsoft just let the artists draw what they want... and eventually got Blades that are mostly females... hm...

THANK. YOU.

Still not better than XC2 lol.
But hey, I so want to play XCX... on Nintendo Switch, that will be a dream come true for me.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Maybe we will get both Elma and Rex.
It doesn't sound that unlikely.

If freaking Xenoblade has the same number of reps than Kirby, oh boy, I will be mad.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would like to see the Xenoblade Chronicles X soundtrack appear in the next Smash game, because I like a lot of the songs. Yes including Black Tar, albeit I like the rapping in the same way I like Unknown for M.E. in the sense the rapping is cheesy and quotable. In fact I love the song Uncontrollable moreso than You Will Know Our Names and You Will Recall Our Names.

Maybe it's my bias talking since I'm a huge fan of Hiroyuki Sawano's work.

D

Deleted member

In a perfect world we'd get both Elma and Rex & Pyra.

The more Xenoblade gets content in Smash the better.

And you legit deserves a punch in the face if you think the opposite.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Seeing Rex's trailer would of course make me very excited since he is my most wanted, but it would also make me feel bad for Elma fans because her chances of being a dlc character aren't too high. Maybe Sakurai will decide both Elma and Rex have merit to be on the base roster. Speaking of which, do you guys think they should be on the same trailer?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Also isn't XC was also a bit like that? Especially Riki... whereas Tora got a good reason to follow Rex. Nia is nuff said.
All the characters in the first game feel like they had better motivation, Dunban is obvious, sharla wanted to destroy the mechon to avenge gadot and melia wanted to do the same for sorean. Riki was just kinda there but riki in general is just kinda there lol.

Just saying them "bland" isn't a proper reason, I'm sure there's more than that... you can talk about Rex's bad English VA, Pyra's design etc... just saying them bland makes your opinion well... bland... hope this didn't offend you.
I'm talking about their personalities, they just didn't click with me and I found them boring as hell, standard good girl and good guy, unlike Shulk who had flaws that made him more of an interesting character and let me connect with him, Rex's main flaw was that he just couldn't stop ****ing fighting. And tbh I'm struggling to recall anything interesting about pyra, she was a standard nice girl, she cooked or whatever, I guess to contrast mythra who is a more sassy and "**** you" typa character but I just found her boring.

I feel like I'm the only one who likes rex's voice lmao

And really now? Alrest is more profound while Mira is just while... an alien planet where we know literally nothing...
I just found mira more interesting to explore, it was a lot bigger for one and it felt like there were a lot more caves and other secret areas to explore. It was a fairly standard alien planet but I prefer sci-fi to fantasy anyway and just being allowed to explore that world independently was so fun.

Better give out some examples, otherwise again your opinion isn't convincing.
I can say the designs in XCX aren't good too, the armors are just standard sci fi, and the more better armors looks... weird....
I aware some designs might be bothersome for some people (But who knows why) like Pyra/Mythra Poppi QT, Perun, Newt, Praxis, Dahlia, Kora etc.... basically Monolithsoft just let the artists draw what they want... and eventually got Blades that are mostly females... hm...
Where XCX's designs may be a little bland, none of them are straight up ugly and nonsensical like Rex, Pyra and many MANY of the female blades.

Seeing Rex's trailer would of course make me very excited since he is my most wanted, but it would also make me feel bad for Elma fans because her chances of being a dlc character aren't too high. Maybe Sakurai will decide both Elma and Rex have merit to be on the base roster. Speaking of which, do you guys think they should be on the same trailer?
NO. One should be secret, if 2 brand new original Xenoblade characters are announced the same day the fandom will riot lmao

I would like to see the Xenoblade Chronicles X soundtrack appear in the next Smash game, because I like a lot of the songs. Yes including Black Tar, albeit I like the rapping in the same way I like Unknown for M.E. in the sense the rapping is cheesy and quotable. In fact I love the song Uncontrollable moreso than You Will Know Our Names and You Will Recall Our Names.

Maybe it's my bias talking since I'm a huge fan of Hiroyuki Sawano's work.
Even if Elma doesn't get in New LA deserves to be a stage

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Alright, so I'm hoping I don't get too ranty with this comment. I've been seeing some things on this board that remind me of the old days of Smash 4, and it occurred to me that, frankly, I think far too many people view Sakurai as some sort of god. I want to cover a few things that some people might not quite understand.

Sakurai is not a Nintendo employee. He leads his own studio of Sora, which is contracted by Nintendo to create Smash. Think of it as having somebody do a project for you, like a home improvement project. There are two parties involved...the owner (Nintendo with Smash, you with your home project) and the contracted group (Sakurai and Sora, the renovator).

With this business to contractor relationship, there is much to consider. If you're the business and having an outside contractor (granted, one you've trusted with this project a handful of times already) take on the project, there's no doubt that you would meet with the contractor and discuss what you'd like to see. In this case, there are many fans out there who believe that Sakurai has 100% unleashed control over the entire game. While I do not have proof otherwise, I simply do not believe this is the case.

I firmly believe that, at the very least, Kimishima would meet with Sakurai and discuss the direction both parties would like to see the game go in. Smash is no joke...it's going to sell extremely well on the Switch regardless, but the impact it has on Nintendo products around it is undeniable. Not to say Kimishima wouldn't trust Sakurai with his selection of stages and characters, but I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if, in 2016, the meeting more or less ended in, "Listen, the Wii U is dead. We want you to take a look at the future of Nintendo and what's to come. Obviously, maintain your thought process on what you've picked...you've rarely been wrong before. But this is simply what we'd like to see".

This loops into my theory that development started so quickly after because of the fact that the Wii U was a sinking ship after DLC ended, and Nintendo wanted to rock the boat with all their best titles on Switch.

As far as marketing, which is more effective? Including content that barely scratches the surface of your newest hotly successful console? Or including content from games that, despite being the successor to the Wii, went out without much of a wimper?

Now, this doesn't mean I think Sakurai is under the thumb of Kimishima or Nintendo. I simply believe they give Sakurai plenty of liberty, simply under the direction of the game. The direction of the game is discussed between both parties and they come to a sort of agreement.

The only reason I suspect they might try to ride the success of the Switch (granted it was 2016, but I think they had a plan) is to continue the momentum of the console. I think we could see a shift in character selection, so that rather than looking at the previous generation (because most of the previous generation was filled with the same usual series, or most series saw no development of new characters on Wii U), the roster looks to expand upon current history. That's more or less what I think will see, but I'll also admit it's what I would like to see.

Other thing I want to talk about...3rd party characters. You know who obtains the licensing rights to those characters? It isn't Sakurai. It's Nintendo. Nintendo does the negotiating of getting the characters, creating the amiibo, etc. Sakurai might open the door to asking about it, but he does little to no negotiating. I see this as a common misconception when fans say, "If Sakurai wants a character, he'll get the character". Uh, no. That's literally not how that works.

This is, again, why I think it's entirely viable that the contracts for Cloud and Bayonetta (if the decision to do another Smash game was already decided) might have been set to cover the following Smash game. I could be wrong though, as the contracts might have to be renegotiated per title.

Either way, I firmly believe fans put far too much stock into what Sakurai is capable of. Whether it's because they see the man as a god because he creates their favorite game (which I understand), or because they don't consider the parties involved, it's not so easy for certain characters.
---
Basically, I would certainly not count out Switch characters. Kimishima has taken an aggressive strategy with marketing the Switch. Smash Switch, with Switch characters/titles being a focus, would only amplify that.

EDIT: Completely unrelated to the rest of my post, but I saw something about a Rex reveal. If he's in, the music to go with him absolutely should be Boss Battle II. Otherwise known as this:
I would lose my mind if this was the theme.

(Also, I think Argentum Trade Guild would be a great stage!)

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Still not better than XC2 lol.
But hey, I so want to play XCX... on Nintendo Switch, that will be a dream come true for me.
I'm just sick of people trying to downplay XCX all the time.

I didn't say that it performed better than XC2. XC2 is clearly the most successful game in the series, but that's only because it practically had no barriers. XC and XCX both came out within the latter half of their respective console's lifecycle, none of which had cultivated the RPG audience. They also didn't receive a simultaneous worldwide release like XC2. The Wii U greatly underperformed, which therefore limited the game's sales potential.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
All the characters in the first game feel like they had better motivation, Dunban is obvious, sharla wanted to destroy the mechon to avenge gadot and melia wanted to do the same for sorean. Riki was just kinda there but riki in general is just kinda there lol.
I felt XC2 had the same fair share of that, but not as deep as XC.

I'm talking about their personalities, they just didn't click with me and I found them boring as hell, standard good girl and good guy, unlike Shulk who had flaws that made him more of an interesting character and let me connect with him, Rex's main flaw was that he just couldn't stop ****ing fighting. And tbh I'm struggling to recall anything interesting about pyra, she was a standard nice girl, she cooked or whatever, I guess to contrast mythra who is a more sassy and "**** you" typa character but I just found her boring.
It's better to check Heart to Hearts... I mean those involved with the main parties

Rex has flaws but he is a fair protagonists.
Tora is a Nopon who despite being a bit weird when it comes to designing Poppi, but he is a good Nopon who is very sueful when reaching to chapter 6.
And don't get me started on Poppi, she's not even like a robot when getting more into the chapters.
Zeke had a terrible debut, but he is awesome when reaching to chapter 6.

And everybody loves Nia, nuff said.

And I would want to talk more about the Blades, but hey, remember this is Smash Bros Switch thread, we are being off topic here.

Go to the Xenoblade thread...

I just found mira more interesting to explore, it was a lot bigger for one and it felt like there were a lot more caves and other secret areas to explore. It was a fairly standard alien planet but I prefer sci-fi to fantasy anyway and just being allowed to explore that world independently was so fun.
True, but not as fun compare to Alreat's titans imo.

Where XCX's designs may be a little bland, none of them are straight up ugly and nonsensical like Rex, Pyra and many MANY of the female blades.
The character facial in XCX are somewhat ugly already imo... so XCX design is pretty much
I think you have problems when saying Rex and Pyra's design ugly...
Also nonsensical is straight BS... this is Xenoblade we are talking about and like I said, we are getting off topic...

GO TO XENOBLADE THREAD:
https://smashboards.com/threads/colony-96-a-xenoblade-series-discussion-thread.446454/
Sakurai is not a Nintendo employee.
From all the essays I saw, this part is where I don't see the point... Because Sakurai's works are all Nintendo related...

Other than that I agree with most of your point.
I'm just sick of people trying to downplay XCX all the time.

I didn't say that it performed better than XC2. XC2 is clearly the most successful game in the series, but that's only because it practically had no barriers. XC and XCX both came out within the latter half of their respective console's lifecycle, none of which had cultivated the RPG audience. They also didn't receive a simultaneous worldwide release like XC2. The Wii U greatly underperformed, which therefore limited the game's sales potential.
That is why I want XCX come to the Switch lol.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I firmly believe that, at the very least, Kimishima would meet with Sakurai and discuss the direction both parties would like to see the game go in. Smash is no joke...it's going to sell extremely well on the Switch regardless, but the impact it has on Nintendo products around it is undeniable. Not to say Kimishima wouldn't trust Sakurai with his selection of stages and characters, but I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if, in 2016, the meeting more or less ended in, "Listen, the Wii U is dead. We want you to take a look at the future of Nintendo and what's to come. Obviously, maintain your thought process on what you've picked...you've rarely been wrong before. But this is simply what we'd like to see".

This loops into my theory that development started so quickly after because of the fact that the Wii U was a sinking ship after DLC ended, and Nintendo wanted to rock the boat with all their best titles on Switch.

As far as marketing, which is more effective. Including content that barely scratches the surface of your newest hotly successful console? Or including content from games that, despite being the successor to the Wii, went out without much of a wimper?

Now, this doesn't mean I think Sakurai is under the thumb of Kimishima or Nintendo. I simply believe they give Sakurai with plenty of liberty, simply under the direction of the game. The direction of the game is discussed between both parties and they come to a sort of agreement.

The only reason I suspect they might try to ride the success of the Switch (granted is was 2016, but I think they had a plan) is to continue the momentum of the console. I think we could see a shift in character selection, so that rather than looking at the previous generation (because most of the previous generation was filled with the same usual series, or most series saw no development of new characters on Wii U), the roster looks to expand upon current history. That's more or less what I think will see, but I'll also admit it's what I would like to see.
Although I think it's very possible that Nintendo would wish for the new Smash game to prioritize the Switch and it's future, I'm also hoping that Nintendo wants Sakurai to go back and show some love for series that didn't perform well on the Wii U. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, Star Fox Zero, and Game & Wario all failed to sell over half a million copies, so it'd be nice if Sakurai didn't discredit these series because of that. Not too worried about Animal Crossing, since the series is still really big, though.

Admittedly, my concern mostly lies with Star Fox, as I really hope Zero didn't screw over the franchise. Star Fox being shown some more love in Smash wouldn't save the franchise, but I think being given a boost in Smash would help a bit. Personally hoping to see a new installment in the franchise in or before 2020, but because of Zero, I'm not too sure.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
So I saw this video and it made me laugh.

Each Smash game in the video was shown having a particular thing that stood out as its big differentiator between Smashes, so I have a question: what sort of unique game mode or feature do you think this Smash game could have, or would you like something that defined a previous game to return?

Hahahaha that fox melee part was hilarious! Thank you for sharing!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Star Fox Zero didn't even sell 500000 copies?

Wow, and Nintendo did a lot of advertisement for it lol.

I guess people didn't want to play the same game for like the third or fourth time, and with bad controls added.

I still don't think that will affect the future of the franchise or its representation in Smash.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Although I think it's very possible that Nintendo would wish for the new Smash game to prioritize the Switch and it's future, I'm also hoping that Nintendo wants Sakurai to go back and show some love for series that didn't perform well on the Wii U. Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, Star Fox Zero, and Game & Wario all failed to sell over half a million copies, so it'd be nice if Sakurai didn't discredit these series because of that. Not too worried about Animal Crossing, since the series is still really big, though.

Admittedly, my concern mostly lies with Star Fox, as I really hope Zero didn't screw over the franchise. Star Fox being shown some more love in Smash wouldn't save the franchise, but I think being given a boost in Smash would help a bit. Personally hoping to see a new installment in the franchise in or before 2020, but because of Zero, I'm not too sure.
I feel like Nintendo has to give it another chance, especially since the switch is so big they should really give every franchise another chance lol, although if miyamoto is still in charge they can honestly keep it, platinum would do so well with the series.

Star Fox Zero didn't even sell 500000 copies?

Wow, and Nintendo did a lot of advertisement for it lol.

I guess people didn't want to play the same game for like the third or fourth time, and with bad controls added.

I still don't think that will affect the future of the franchise or its representation in Smash.
Doesn't help that they released in in 2016, the wii u was practically dead then, tbh they should've fixed the controls and saved it for the switch

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Guys, my dad works for Nintendo and he just told me Rotom the Pokémon is in Smash!

I want to beat people up with a lawnmower...

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Unfortunately, the best thing that Star Fox can hope for is a brand new Switch title, since the mixed reception that Star Fox Zero received (along with the heavy reliance on motion controls) pretty much means that it's not worth porting over to the Nintendo Switch. It also doesn't help when a good portion of gaming communities rank Star Fox Zero among the worst 2016 games made.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Unfortunately, the best thing that Star Fox can hope for is a brand new Switch title, since the mixed reception that Star Fox Zero received (along with the heavy reliance on motion controls) pretty much means that it's not worth porting over to the Nintendo Switch. It also doesn't help when a good portion of gaming communities rank Star Fox Zero among the worst 2016 games made.
Yeah, a port wouldn't even really work since the game is built entirely around the gamepad. What we need is for platinum to take the trash that was Zero and make a sequel that's actually good, AND BRING BACK KRYSTAL! PLEASE?!

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
In a perfect world we'd get both Elma and Rex & Pyra.

The more Xenoblade gets content in Smash the better.

And you legit deserves a punch in the face if you think the opposite.
How about NO characters, but we add two new stages and a whole bunch of music from all three games? Is that still punch-worthy?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, a port wouldn't even really work since the game is built entirely around the gamepad. What we need is for platinum to take the trash that was Zero and make a sequel that's actually good, AND BRING BACK KRYSTAL! PLEASE?!
I wouldn't exactly call Star Fox Zero trash. It's not the best game out there, but it's fully playable once you've gotten past the motion control learning curve. I've actually played games that are far worse than Star Fox Zero, such as the Wii version of Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal; **** the unresponsive Nunchuk motion controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom