• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I wouldn't exactly call Star Fox Zero trash. It's not the best game out there, but it's fully playable once you've gotten past the motion control learning curve. I've actually played games that are far worse than Star Fox Zero, such as the Wii version of Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal; **** the unresponsive Nunchuk motion controls.
trash was definitely exaggerating, they need to fix the parts that are trash tho lol

D

Deleted member

How about NO characters, but we add two new stages and a whole bunch of music from all three games? Is that still punch-worthy?
Rather slap-worthy.

Anyway, for a change of topic:

Do you think a Pokémon from Generation 8 can be added as a DLC when Pokémon Switch finally becomes a thing?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Rather slap-worthy.

Do you think a Pokémon from Generation 8 can be added as a DLC when Pokémon Switch finally becomes a thing?
Yup. Same for Fire Emblem Switch. I'm a huge supporter of first year switch characters getting in (Arms, Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey Content possibly Pauline) but I'm always baffled when people think a gen 8 Pokemon or FE Switch lord are a given. We haven't even seen anything from these games, and granted that will probably change soon, I definitely don't think it is soon enough or that they would even come out this year (makes more sense that Smash is the big Holiday game and they save Pokemon for 2019).

We are 99.9% getting a Gen 7 Pokemon in the base roster, and we may get a Fire Emblem character but I honestly don't think so. Gen 8 and an FE Switch lord will definitely be considered for DLC and will probably make it in.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Rather slap-worthy.

Yes, I'm also fully expecting Rex, Springman and/or ribbon girl, and an FE switch character, a MP4 character etc to be DLC.

Also maybe I'm delusional but I want Crash as dlc too and I think there's a decent chance there

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post
Typically when people say they want a character in Smash, they want them to be playable.

It's a dichotomy. They're playable or they're not. Being an Assist Trophy isn't nearly comparable.
** off and let me dream.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Very, very high chances.

Anyway, could Galacta Knight get in SSB5 as a clone of Meta Knight?
Wasn't he in Robobot and Star Allies? and I know he was in RTDL before that, I could see it happening tbh. Plus villains are dope and more is good.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Alright, so I'm hoping I don't get too ranty with this comment. I've been seeing some things on this board that remind me of the old days of Smash 4, and it occurred to me that, frankly, I think far too many people view Sakurai as some sort of god. I want to cover a few things that some people might not quite understand.

Sakurai is not a Nintendo employee. He leads his own studio of Sora, which is contracted by Nintendo to create Smash. Think of it as having somebody do a project for you, like a home improvement project. There are two parties involved...the owner (Nintendo with Smash, you with your home project) and the contracted group (Sakurai and Sora, the renovator).

With this business to contractor relationship, there is much to consider. If you're the business and having an outside contractor (granted, one you've trusted with this project a handful of times already) take on the project, there's no doubt that you would meet with the contractor and discuss what you'd like to see. In this case, there are many fans out there who believe that Sakurai has 100% unleashed control over the entire game. While I do not have proof otherwise, I simply do not believe this is the case.

I firmly believe that, at the very least, Kimishima would meet with Sakurai and discuss the direction both parties would like to see the game go in. Smash is no joke...it's going to sell extremely well on the Switch regardless, but the impact it has on Nintendo products around it is undeniable. Not to say Kimishima wouldn't trust Sakurai with his selection of stages and characters, but I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if, in 2016, the meeting more or less ended in, "Listen, the Wii U is dead. We want you to take a look at the future of Nintendo and what's to come. Obviously, maintain your thought process on what you've picked...you've rarely been wrong before. But this is simply what we'd like to see".

This loops into my theory that development started so quickly after because of the fact that the Wii U was a sinking ship after DLC ended, and Nintendo wanted to rock the boat with all their best titles on Switch.

As far as marketing, which is more effective? Including content that barely scratches the surface of your newest hotly successful console? Or including content from games that, despite being the successor to the Wii, went out without much of a wimper?

Now, this doesn't mean I think Sakurai is under the thumb of Kimishima or Nintendo. I simply believe they give Sakurai plenty of liberty, simply under the direction of the game. The direction of the game is discussed between both parties and they come to a sort of agreement.

The only reason I suspect they might try to ride the success of the Switch (granted it was 2016, but I think they had a plan) is to continue the momentum of the console. I think we could see a shift in character selection, so that rather than looking at the previous generation (because most of the previous generation was filled with the same usual series, or most series saw no development of new characters on Wii U), the roster looks to expand upon current history. That's more or less what I think will see, but I'll also admit it's what I would like to see.

Other thing I want to talk about...3rd party characters. You know who obtains the licensing rights to those characters? It isn't Sakurai. It's Nintendo. Nintendo does the negotiating of getting the characters, creating the amiibo, etc. Sakurai might open the door to asking about it, but he does little to no negotiating. I see this as a common misconception when fans say, "If Sakurai wants a character, he'll get the character". Uh, no. That's literally not how that works.

This is, again, why I think it's entirely viable that the contracts for Cloud and Bayonetta (if the decision to do another Smash game was already decided) might have been set to cover the following Smash game. I could be wrong though, as the contracts might have to be renegotiated per title.

Either way, I firmly believe fans put far too much stock into what Sakurai is capable of. Whether it's because they see the man as a god because he creates their favorite game (which I understand), or because they don't consider the parties involved, it's not so easy for certain characters.
---
Basically, I would certainly not count out Switch characters. Kimishima has taken an aggressive strategy with marketing the Switch. Smash Switch, with Switch characters/titles being a focus, would only amplify that.

EDIT: Completely unrelated to the rest of my post, but I saw something about a Rex reveal. If he's in, the music to go with him absolutely should be Boss Battle II. Otherwise known as this:
I would lose my mind if this was the theme.

(Also, I think Argentum Trade Guild would be a great stage!)
This is exactly how I feel too, and I think a lot of people forget just how much power Smash games have.

From a business perspective, it would make sense for Kimishima to meet up with Sakurai and be more involved with the roster. Not to necessarily tell Sakurai who he should and shouldn't add, but maybe say something along the lines of, "A lot is riding on this game, and while we have complete confidence in you and your abilities, we'd really like you to put a focus on newer Switch games."

As you said, the Wii U didn't exactly end on a high note. If Nintendo really wants to make the most out of this new Smash game, they'd put a heavy emphasis on advertising and encourage Sakurai to add as much content as he can from current and future Switch games, as Nintendo desperately needs to attract the generation of gamers from the Switch, not the Wii U. If they can't get it all done in time for the base game, then I might even recommend Nintendo to consider going the Splatoon route and adding a few (not many, just a few) free "advertisement" characters and stages after the release.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's only been a day since Labo came out and we're already getting stuff like this.

Seriously, I hope we get a Labo rep at some point. If not on the base roster, then maybe as DLC or in a future Smash game.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I think we're getting clones this game like every game since Melee but I have no idea who other than maybe like, Dixie. They might also be more like Brawl than Melee/4.

In a perfect world we'd get both Elma and Rex & Pyra.

The more Xenoblade gets content in Smash the better.

And you legit deserves a punch in the face if you think the opposite.
And who said video games make people violent?

D

Deleted member

I think WFT is going to be fine. I think she just needs a buff, she seems lacking for a "trainer".

Also I would love to have Elma, Rex, Pyra and Mythra.

The perfect four.

Also hoping for no cuts. I love everyone in Smash 4.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I think we're getting clones this game like every game since Melee but I have no idea who other than maybe like, Dixie. They might also be more like Brawl than Melee/4.
I think this is a good conversation. If we are to expect more clones who should we expect?
Dixie, unfortunately, makes sense as a semi-clone. I know people on here have gone over and beyond to give a move set for Isabelle, but I can see her being given the semi-clone treatment. I also think Celica as a semi-clone of Robin, with self-damaging magic instead of durability makes sense as an FE rep.

I have also seen suggestions that Mimikyu could be a semi-clone of Pikachu because, well duh, and while I would be ecstatic to have Mimikyu playable that would make me at least a little sad.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Celica as Pichu? Oh man...that won’t go over well.

Zero chance Mimikyu is a Pikachu clone. Their builds and move sets are entirely different.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I think this is a good conversation. If we are to expect more clones who should we expect?
Dixie, unfortunately, makes sense as a semi-clone. I know people on here have gone over and beyond to give a move set for Isabelle, but I can see her being given the semi-clone treatment. I also think Celica as a semi-clone of Robin, with self-damaging magic instead of durability makes sense as an FE rep.

I have also seen suggestions that Mimikyu could be a semi-clone of Pikachu because, well duh, and while I would be ecstatic to have Mimikyu playable that would make me at least a little sad.
If anything, I'd like to get Daisy and Jeanne as sm4sh-style clones. They both are among my beloved characters AND similar to both my mains.

I know it's unlikely but man can dream.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This is exactly how I feel too, and I think a lot of people forget just how much power Smash games have.

From a business perspective, it would make sense for Kimishima to meet up with Sakurai and be more involved with the roster. Not to necessarily tell Sakurai who he should and shouldn't add, but maybe say something along the lines of, "A lot is riding on this game, and while we have complete confidence in you and your abilities, we'd really like you to put a focus on newer Switch games."

As you said, the Wii U didn't exactly end on a high note. If Nintendo really wants to make the most out of this new Smash game, they'd put a heavy emphasis on advertising and encourage Sakurai to add as much content as he can from current and future Switch games, as Nintendo desperately needs to attract the generation of gamers from the Switch, not the Wii U. If they can't get it all done in time for the base game, then I might even recommend Nintendo to consider going the Splatoon route and adding a few (not many, just a few) free "advertisement" characters and stages after the release.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's only been a day since Labo came out and we're already getting stuff like this.

Seriously, I hope we get a Labo rep at some point. If not on the base roster, then maybe as DLC or in a future Smash game.
Yeah, this is basically what i’m getting at. While I don’t think Sakurai has necessarily burdened himself with advertising for Nintendo, I think it’s entirely possible that this is a new Smash game, but a new Smash game in the sense of “retain all we can and add as much new generation stuff as possible “.

One weakness in content, in my humble opinion, is the fact that it’s always a generation behind. It’s not even that bad of a weakness, but you’re telling me that any up and coming icon of Nintendo (see: any new hit Switch game) potentially won’t be in Smash for awhile because the focus was what a came out a few years ago? Right now seems to be the time to change that with everything Nintendo has been able to do for themselves.

It wouldn’t even be that much of an undertaking. If you just have Spring Man, Rex+ Pyra, and maybe one another 2017-2018 stage or character I think that would cover Nintendo until the next Smash game. It would pull in those Nintendo newbies who just came back to Switch and would effectively bring it to or with anything it could miss.

Anyway, i’m just of the belief that Nintendo/Sakurai could have the mindset of “Celebrate the New Nintendo” by having somewhat of a focus on Switch content. That doesn’t mean Wii U characters can’t be a thing. I just think it would be a great shift to look directly at the current gen.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Jeanne would get in if Bayonetta becomes even more important to Nintendo one day and they just outright buy publishing rights for Bayonetta from Sega.

But that's the only way I can see her getting in. Clone or not. If in the event this all happened and that was the scenario then she'd be a lock as she's the second most important individual in that series and playable in each game. A trend I don't see stopping in Bayonetta 3.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Zero chance Mimikyu is a Pikachu clone. Their builds and move sets are entirely different.
I think she can be balanced well if it's just her special attacks that deal self-harm and that they were made much stronger than Robin's. Also she would have the advantage of not having a durable sword (Her sword is the Blessed something or another...) so not as powerful as the Levin sword but definitely way better than the Bronze sword.

Also I really hope you are right about Mimikyu <3

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking Mimikyu would be a half-clone. Not aa smei-clone, as in a character who's derived from another and got changed, but as in he'd cope some of Pikachu's moves and have some completely different. You know, like it's a little abomination under a rag trying to imitate something lovable.

For Example: Mimikyu would have Pikachu's made up not-existy neutral special but would use more ghost/fairy moves for the others.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I could see Funky Kong being a DK semiclone. He was popular enough to get into a Mario Kart game.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I wouldn't say zero chance, I could see them being a pikachu semi-clone with different animations and dark magic effects, the thing is trying to imitate pikachu so it would most certainly makes sense although some moves would need to be changed, I can't see mimikyu doing any of pika's aerials or tilts but specials and smashes (minus up smash) are all fair game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm thinking Mimikyu would be a half-clone. Not aa smei-clone, as in a character who's derived from another and got changed, but as in he'd cope some of Pikachu's moves and have some completely different. You know, like it's a little abomination under a rag trying to imitate something lovable.

For Example: Mimikyu would have Pikachu's made up not-existy neutral special but would use more ghost/fairy moves for the others.
No. Mimikyu would be completely clone-less. There is no reason for it to have any of Pikachu's moves. It wears a Pikachu cloth. Don't blow it out of proportions. That's it.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
No. Mimikyu would be completely clone-less. There is no reason for it to have any of Pikachu's moves. It wears a Pikachu cloth. Don't blow it out of proportions. That's it.
As a reference to Pikcahu, Mimikyu does learn some Electric moves, that don't necessarily make sense for it to learn, via TM. I'm not saying it should/could/will be a clone, but it definitely can use some of Pikachu's electric attacks.

Whether or not clone, I think there should be some reference to it copying Pikachu. Maybe it tries to copy Pikachu's taunts but fails miserably lol.

D

Deleted member

It doesn't even fit her. Yeah she does lose health when casting magic, but she's a priestess. That archetype generally heals people and uses holy/white/light magic or whatever you wanna call it. Not every mechanic has to be ported over into Smash.

That being said, I do think a Pichu-esque character could work if done correctly. As long as the moves that damage the user are made to be super good options, then there's a chance they could be balanced well enough. Pichu specifically is really light too, which makes you wonder why he wasn't a full on glass cannon.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking (Probably it has already been discussed, but anyway)...

Since Dr. Mario is playable in Oddisey, and Cappy possesses the Doctor's Headwear, how would you feel if it was Dr. Mario who used Cappy in Smash?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It doesn't even fit her. Yeah she does lose health when casting magic, but she's a priestess. That archetype generally heals people and uses holy/white/light magic or whatever you wanna call it. Not every mechanic has to be ported over into Smash.

That being said, I do think a Pichu-esque character could work if done correctly. As long as the moves that damage the user are made to be super good options, then there's a chance they could be balanced well enough. Pichu specifically is really light too, which makes you wonder why he wasn't a full on glass cannon.
While I haven't played echoes, from what I've looked up she's not a typical "cleric" class from the fire emblem series and does primarily use magic attacks, that drain health. She can learn a healing spell, but even that harms her.

In echoes she primarily learns attack magic, and she is reflected in Heroes & Warriors as a magic attacker, so even though she is a "priestess" it's not really the healing kind. Anyone who's played Echoes please correct me on anything, I really want to get around to playing it heard good things.

I was thinking (Probably it has already been discussed, but anyway)...

Since Dr. Mario is playable in Oddisey, and Cappy possesses the Doctor's Headwear, how would you feel if it was Dr. Mario who used Cappy in Smash?

I'd feel weird lol.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It imitates Pikachu. It wants to be Pikachu and if it could use electric moves, why wouldn't it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I haven't played echoes, from what I've looked up she's not a typical "cleric" class from the fire emblem series and does primarily use magic attacks, that drain health. She can learn a healing spell, but even that harms her.

In echoes she primarily learns attack magic, and she is reflected in Heroes & Warriors as a magic attacker, so even though she is a "priestess" it's not really the healing kind. Anyone who's played Echoes please correct me on anything, I really want to get around to playing it heard good things.
I have played Echoes. Yeah she uses a sword and fights offensively with it & Fire, Thunder, and Wind magic, but that's too similar to Robin. I'm saying that she would fight using white magic healing/status spells (she could borrow some from other characters too), holy light effects on her sword, & beast slaying stuff like Seraphim/other light magic like Aura from other characters (maybe even Ragnarok if you felt like it, but that's more Final Smash material imo) instead of just using stronger versions of Robin's anima magic except she hurts herself. The whole 'she damages herself while using magic' is just how magic was handled in Gaiden in general (ALL mages hurt themselves while casting), and doesn't suit her character and class archetype on the whole. Not every mechanic has to be ported over to 'stay true to the source' if it doesn't fit well in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see Mimikyu being anything like Pikachu. I mean, a lot of moves could surprisingly work. But why would you do that when you can just make Mimikyu unique quite easily? I mean, I guess as a last minute thing but Mimikyu wouldn't work as an alt (no feet) so I don't see that happening either.

:061:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't really care whose moveset Celica is based off of. Honestly, a FE clone of any sorts doesn't sound appealing to me, and Warriors certainly hasn't helped my fears since Celica is a Marth clone in that game (Anyone wanna shoot for four versions of Marth?).

Mimikyu being a clone? Ehhh... I don't see it happening. Like, at all.

However, if it did end up being a clone of sorts, I wouldn't be too disappointed. All the Pokémon characters are completely unique, so I guess one clone wouldn't hurt. Just hope that wouldn't open the gates for more.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mimikyu makes sense trying to copy some Pikachu's moves (and taunts) before becoming busted.

Pikachu imitation and the anger from a ruined disguise are the two key traits to the character.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
It imitates Pikachu. It wants to be Pikachu and if it could use electric moves, why wouldn't it?
I agree. Part of its whole thing is that it wants people to think it’s Pikachu, so why wouldn’t it use some similar moves? It’d be a clone, not out of laziness, but because it actually totally suited the character.

Of course I’m talking a very loose clone, like, a few similarities. If there’s enough development time he could have lots of unique features. He’s basically a little Lovecraftian evil trying to be cute, and I’d love any moveset that leans into that.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I have played Echoes. Yeah she uses a sword and fights offensively with it & Fire, Thunder, and Wind magic, but that's too similar to Robin. I'm saying that she would fight using white magic healing/status spells (she could borrow some from other characters too), holy light effects on her sword, & beast slaying stuff like Seraphim/other light magic like Aura from other characters (maybe even Ragnarok if you felt like it, but that's more Final Smash material imo) instead of just using stronger versions of Robin's anima magic except she hurts herself. The whole 'she damages herself while using magic' is just how magic was handled in Gaiden in general (ALL mages hurt themselves well casting), and doesn't suit her character and class archetype on the whole. Not every mechanic has to be ported over to 'stay true to the source' if it doesn't fit well in Smash.
Weapon durability wasn't unique to Robin or his class and he got it. Also I would have argued that weapon durability didn't need to be represented in Smash either but look what we got.

Yea her being a Robin clone would definitely be the more boring move-set potential, just brought it up on the subject of possible clones. I'm definitely interested in her as white magic as well as healing/status spells, but how would those translate into Smash? Curious.

Also sorry if it seemed I was saying you didn't play echoes, I just wanted to make sure someone clarified for me :')

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Star Fox Zero didn't even sell 500000 copies?

Wow, and Nintendo did a lot of advertisement for it lol.

I guess people didn't want to play the same game for like the third or fourth time, and with bad controls added.

I still don't think that will affect the future of the franchise or its representation in Smash.
The three biggest problems that lead to Star Fox Zero's poor sales were it's motion controls, story being another rehash of Star Fox 64, and that it was made for a dying console at the end of it's life. If Zero was made for the Switch with a similar motion control scheme, I predict it'd sell a lot more. Maybe not one million, but maybe around 3/4 of a million.

As for your last sentence, I certainly hope so.

I feel like Nintendo has to give it another chance, especially since the switch is so big they should really give every franchise another chance lol, although if miyamoto is still in charge they can honestly keep it, platinum would do so well with the series.

Doesn't help that they released in in 2016, the wii u was practically dead then, tbh they should've fixed the controls and saved it for the switch
That's what I'm hoping for. I hope that Nintendo saw the hype around Star Fox 2 being released and realize that Star Fox is still a popular franchise. They just need to look as Zero, understand why it failed, and continue on. Platinum didn't do bad with Star Fox, and I wouldn't mind seeing a Zero sequel, but I'd much rather have a sequel to Command with Assault's formula. Nintendo needs to get over the idea of Star Fox being a movie that lasts 1-2 hours, and evolve it into an actual story like Assault. Either keep Platinum, hand the reigns to Namco, or handle it in-house.

Unfortunately, the best thing that Star Fox can hope for is a brand new Switch title, since the mixed reception that Star Fox Zero received (along with the heavy reliance on motion controls) pretty much means that it's not worth porting over to the Nintendo Switch. It also doesn't help when a good portion of gaming communities rank Star Fox Zero among the worst 2016 games made.
I think it is possible to salvage Zero for a port, but I don't know if they would. I think it'd be in Nintendo's best interests to make a new Star Fox game from scratch, and learn from Zero.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
That's what I'm hoping for. I hope that Nintendo saw the hype around Star Fox 2 being released and realize that Star Fox is still a popular franchise. They just need to look as Zero, understand why it failed, and continue on. Platinum didn't do bad with Star Fox, and I wouldn't mind seeing a Zero sequel, but I'd much rather have a sequel to Command with Assault's formula. Nintendo needs to get over the idea of Star Fox being a movie that lasts 1-2 hours, and evolve it into an actual story like Assault. Either keep Platinum, hand the reigns to Namco, or handle it in-house.
I think it should stay with platinum but they should be given free reign over the story, the gameplay and most importantly, the controls.

I think it'd be a waste to go back to the old universe now, they've already rebooted it, they might as well keep going and building off of Zero since they essentially have a brand new post-SF:64 base to work off of. They can take elements of adventures, assault and command and make a brand new and better continuation.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Star Fox Zero is an example of when gimmicks for gimmick's sake goes horribly wrong.

What it boils down to is a game that is both a turret section and flying section at the same time.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
trash was definitely exaggerating, they need to fix the parts that are trash tho lol
The main cons that I can think of include having only 20 stages, only one route does NOT take you to Sector Beta (it's the Star Wolf alternate route at Sector Alpha, which leads to the Great Fox stage where Cosmic Dodora is fought, and ends at Sector Gamma), and the final three stages were always Sector Omega, Corneria 2, and Venom, which meant that there were no alternate endings.

There's also the fact that you only use the Gyrowing (which is skipped completely if you take the Satellite Mission routes) and Landmaster at two stages.

Also, the reward for collecting all the medals was merely having access to the Retro Arwing and Black Arwing, which you could use right off the bat if you owned the Fox and Falco amiibo.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
At most I can see Mimikyu imitating some of Pikachu's moves, but in a more flawed manner. Much like Wario does with Mario. I don't see it being cloned directly though as their skeletal structures don't match. Plus I can't see Mimikyu hunching around like Pikachu does as it stands upright pretty much all the time rather than moving about on all fours.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I think it should stay with platinum but they should be given free reign over the story, the gameplay and most importantly, the controls.

I think it'd be a waste to go back to the old universe now, they've already rebooted it, they might as well keep going and building off of Zero since they essentially have a brand new post-SF:64 base to work off of. They can take elements of adventures, assault and command and make a brand new and better continuation.
I wouldn't mind if Platinum were allowed to hold onto the reigns longer, and double down on Zero's timeline. Perhaps it would allow for Star Fox to finally cement itself with a developer and gameplay style, since one of Star Fox's greatest problems is that it's been passed between developers too many times with too drastic of views. Star Fox has been developed by Nintendo, Argonaut Software, Rare, Namco, Q-Games, and now Platinum. This, and the games each company has made, has caused Star Fox to go through an identity problem.

The problem I have with Platinum continuing with Star Fox is that I don't see them taking Star Fox in a direction where it can really evolve. Personally, I feel the best way for the series to evolve is to go the route of Assault. On-foot combat, a strong narrative, and multiplayer are all things I feel helped progress Star Fox forward. With the Switch's controls, a new story that can maybe span multiple installments, and online multiplayer are the three things I hope most to see with a possible Star Fox on Switch. Although the thing I want most with a new Star Fox game is for it to fly off shelves, and officially resurrect Star Fox.

Plus, continuing with Zero would result in possibly retconning the events of Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox: Assault, and Star Fox: Command. Adventures, although a marker for the degradation of the series, did bring a lot of elements into the Star Fox universe that it lacked, and brought us Krystal, who I really don't want to see be forgotten. Star Fox: Assault is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd hate to see that game's story also be thrown away. Hell, even Star Fox Command brought a lot to the table with the universe.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
What do you guys think of professor e.gadd as a dark horse Mario pick?
He could utilize his inventions, the FLUDD and the the Poltergust and represent sunshine and Luigi’s mansion
Up special - FLUDD hoverjet
Neutral special - Poltergust suck
Forward special - Poltergust blow
Down special - he would steal mario’s

Pretty basic but that’s what I could come up with on the spot

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind if Platinum were allowed to hold onto the reigns longer, and double down on Zero's timeline. Perhaps it would allow for Star Fox to finally cement itself with a developer and gameplay style, since one of Star Fox's greatest problems is that it's been passed between developers too many times with too drastic of views. Star Fox has been developed by Nintendo, Argonaut Software, Rare, Namco, Q-Games, and now Platinum. This, and the games each company has made, has caused Star Fox to go through an identity problem.

The problem I have with Platinum continuing with Star Fox is that I don't see them taking Star Fox in a direction where it can really evolve. Personally, I feel the best way for the series to evolve is to go the route of Assault. On-foot combat, a strong narrative, and multiplayer are all things I feel helped progress Star Fox forward. With the Switch's controls, a new story that can maybe span multiple installments, and online multiplayer are the three things I hope most to see with a possible Star Fox on Switch. Although the thing I want most with a new Star Fox game is for it to fly off shelves, and officially resurrect Star Fox.

Plus, continuing with Zero would result in possibly retconning the events of Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox: Assault, and Star Fox: Command. Adventures, although a marker for the degradation of the series, did bring a lot of elements into the Star Fox universe that it lacked, and brought us Krystal, who I really don't want to see be forgotten. Star Fox: Assault is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd hate to see that game's story also be thrown away. Hell, even Star Fox Command brought a lot to the table with the universe.
If Platinum were allowed to do what they want I'm confident they'd evolve the series, probably beyond what we've already seen, remember these are the same people known for bayonetta, the wonderful 101, nier automata which essentially made Nier good and vanquish which is another shooter. And platinum loves their crazy characters and plots, they're an extremely creative studio and I'm sure they could create something great.

I agree about the story and the on-foot gameplay especially, I like star fox but I'd like it a hell of a lot more if it incorporated shooter elements, plus that would make the series far more marketable to a far wider audience.

But it wouldn't be retconning since it's an alternate universe, and that allows them to bring in the good stuff the original timeline brought us like krystal, while being able to forget about the bad, like the entirety of command

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom